EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: A Quality Video Game plot
Zair
The Imp
posted 05-31-2004 04:46:53 AM
Sure I could read a book for a good plot, but sometimes it is best enjoyed through the medium of a video game.

What I am looking for is people's suggestions of games that have spectacular plots. New or old games are fine, as long as they have some degree of accessability of purchase. Feel free to mention any game that has a great plot, but it would only help me if the game is for the PC or PS2 (or Playstation 1 or GBA).

This probably goes without saying, but if a game has a great plot, leave any plot spoilers about it out of the thread (or in spoiler tags..).

Any type of game is fine too, be it shooter or RTS or (most likely I suppose) RPG. Other aspects of the game (graphics, gameplay, etc) are secondary.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-31-2004 04:47:40 AM
Warcraft III.
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 05-31-2004 04:47:45 AM
Baldur's Gate II.
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 05-31-2004 04:50:08 AM
Knights of the Old Republic. After the last two movies, that game made me fall in love with Star Wars again.
Zair
The Imp
posted 05-31-2004 04:51:35 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan probably says this to all the girls:
Warcraft III.

Done it. And it was indeed a good plot. I like the setting enough that me and friends have started a half-assed attempt of trying to start up a game of the Warcraft DnD game.

Zair
The Imp
posted 05-31-2004 04:53:51 AM
quote:
Zaza said this about your mom:
Baldur's Gate II.

Still good without playing Baldurs Gate 1? Because I actually have both Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 after buying them on a whim a long time ago. I never got through 1 and thus sorta dropped it without playing 2.

qwertyu
Pancake
posted 05-31-2004 05:00:11 AM
xenogears~

xenosaga is -meh- so far compared to it.

Zair
The Imp
posted 05-31-2004 05:00:17 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Snoota:
Knights of the Old Republic. After the last two movies, that game made me fall in love with Star Wars again.

My knowledge of Star Wars doesn't go much beyond the original trilogy. I've only read a couple novels ( a Jabba Palace anthology and a Cantina anthology) and seen the new movies about once. As long as this doesn't hinder the plot appreciation overly much, I'll definatly look into this. When does it take place (in relation to the movies or whatever)?

Zair
The Imp
posted 05-31-2004 05:01:33 AM
quote:
qwertyu obviously shouldn't have said:
xenogears~

I've searched for this game at game stores for some time without avail. I wonder if I could get it easily online...

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 05-31-2004 05:05:26 AM
quote:
Zair had breaking news:
Still good without playing Baldurs Gate 1? Because I actually have both Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 after buying them on a whim a long time ago. I never got through 1 and thus sorta dropped it without playing 2.

Yeah, you really don't need to play 1. 1 has too many annoying gameplay issues, even if it's a great game.

Kael
Whistlepig
posted 05-31-2004 05:16:26 AM
"Disgaea: Hour of Darkness". Great game if you like tactical rpgs. Another TacRPG comming out in mid-June is "Front Mission 4", it has mechs. Later in June a pretty cool looking "Choose your own adventure" type Action/RPG called "Way of the Samurai 2", due out the 29th iirc.

Might not be exactly what you would call a "plot driven" game and it might not even be your cup of tea, but I remember this game called "Deception 3: Dark Delusion". The idea of the game is to lure and kill intruders into traps you place around different rooms, you set up 3 traps per room (floor, wall, ceiling, one of each). Pretty fun if you like to think on your feet.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 05-31-2004 05:21:43 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Zair stammered:
My knowledge of Star Wars doesn't go much beyond the original trilogy. I've only read a couple novels ( a Jabba Palace anthology and a Cantina anthology) and seen the new movies about once. As long as this doesn't hinder the plot appreciation overly much, I'll definatly look into this. When does it take place (in relation to the movies or whatever)?

It takes place 4,000 years before the movies. During the height of the Old Republic. It probably contains the best Star Wars story ever written, except the Thrawn Trilogy of course; that just owns. You're also completely free in what side you pick. Most games limit you to playing the "anti hero", where you're just a good guy with an attitude. In KotOR the light side and dark side are pretty much two completely different games. The Dark Side ending is one of the best video game endings ever. Even if I did catch a pang of conscious towards the end when the Admiral of the Republic Fleet calls for a retreat, and Master Vandar, I think was his name, tells her, "It is no use, Admiral. There is no escape for us," minutes before their ship goes down from my barrage.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 05-31-2004 06:41:55 AM
quote:
Zair had this to say about Pirotess:
I've searched for this game at game stores for some time without avail. I wonder if I could get it easily online...

Here you go.

I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 05-31-2004 10:08:13 AM
Homeworld

Fallout

[edit: also Sacrifice I guess. Great game]

Niklas fucked around with this message on 05-31-2004 at 10:08 AM.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 05-31-2004 10:24:52 AM
Starflight series
play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 05-31-2004 11:55:37 AM
The Wild Arms games are good fun. 1 and 2 for Playstation, 3 for PS2.

I liked the plot in Jak 2 very much. Can't wait for Jak 3.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 05-31-2004 11:55:57 AM
Chrono Trigger
I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Rabin Crabmink
YES
posted 05-31-2004 11:56:57 AM
Planescape: Torment
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 05-31-2004 11:58:41 AM
Final Fantasy VII.

Legend of Dragoon's plot was pretty darned spiffy as well.

Dauragon
Pancake
posted 05-31-2004 12:05:24 PM
The first Clock Tower game had a decent plot, but it's an old school point-and-click game, so if you're not into that stuff, then don't worry about it.

Chrono Cross...I suppose. It'll make a little more sense if you play Chrono Trigger first, and even then the game is weird (the main character's a mute! What the hell is that?).

quote:
Mr. Gainsborough's fortune cookie read:
Final Fantasy VII.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 05-31-2004 12:33:51 PM
The entire Homeworld series. The original is probably the only game to ever have a plat heart wrenching enough to almost make me cry.
"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Zaile Ghostmaker
You've gotta remember, I'm an EverQuest character.
posted 05-31-2004 12:43:48 PM
FFX
I find that most problems can be solved by excessive violence.

It is held in thought
only by the understanding
of the Wind.

Mod
Pancake
posted 05-31-2004 12:49:52 PM
quote:
How.... Zair.... uughhhhhh:

Make sure you get the Throne of Bhaal expansion for BG2, the story isn't complete without it.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 05-31-2004 01:17:34 PM
Morrowind. Dear god that will last ya well if you play it and THEN get some mods for it.
Jania Arindelil
Is really cute and cuddly... just needs a hug
posted 05-31-2004 01:17:38 PM
Xenogears is the best RPG I've played to date. It recently went Greatest Hits, so you should be able to find it more easily than before.

The entire Final Fantasy series, but in particular VI and IX.

The Lunar series is excellent. The first is the best, in my opinion. You can find it either for PS, or you can get Lunar Legends for GBA.

The Legend of Dragoon was a sleeper hit. It really has a nice story, and it's sad it didn't get the recognition it deserves.

Tales of Destiny is a little known older RPG that is quite involved and I thought had an excellent plot. It also has a sequel coming soon (Or second sequel, as I believe there was a part II already) which looks to be just as good.

Chrono Trigger is one of the classics, and you can get it with one of the other classics, Final Fantasy IV.

Chrono Cross is good, had a great story...but I wasn't satisfied with the end. Play at your own risk.

Star Ocean Second Story is another excellent RPG, and Star Ocean 3 will be coming out in the recent future as well.

The Wild Arms series is excellent. 3 is the best for me, but 1 and 2 on PS weren't too shabby.

Jania Arindelil
Dragon Guardian, Grandmaster Archer
Very Cranky Person
"I'll torture you so slowly, you'll think it's a career." - Darwin Mayflower
Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-31-2004 01:18:37 PM
Legend of Dragoon was a cool story, but the gameplay was horrible.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 05-31-2004 01:24:33 PM
Deus Ex
System Shock 2

Edit: Both are for PC

Sakkra fucked around with this message on 05-31-2004 at 01:24 PM.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 05-31-2004 01:28:00 PM
quote:
Jania Arindelil had this to say about Punky Brewster:
The Lunar series is excellent. The first is the best, in my opinion. You can find it either for PS, or you can get Lunar Legends for GBA.

Tales of Destiny is a little known older RPG that is quite involved and I thought had an excellent plot. It also has a sequel coming soon (Or second sequel, as I believe there was a part II already) which looks to be just as good.

Star Ocean Second Story is another excellent RPG, and Star Ocean 3 will be coming out in the recent future as well.

The Wild Arms series is excellent. 3 is the best for me, but 1 and 2 on PS weren't too shabby.

All are games people know little of, but are supreamly excelent. There was a sequal to ToD, it was almost as good. That game had one of the best fighting systems ever, you could be so cheap by spin jumping back and forth in the first one.

BTW, ANGST OVER STAR OCEAN 3 DELAYS!

Y.O.T.C fucked around with this message on 05-31-2004 at 01:29 PM.

bob12121212
Pancake
posted 05-31-2004 01:33:27 PM
Any of the newer Final Fantasy games would do. FF X is great.
Chugga
Pancake
posted 05-31-2004 01:40:18 PM
Suikoden series, I loved em.
Jania Arindelil
Is really cute and cuddly... just needs a hug
posted 05-31-2004 01:56:46 PM
quote:
Y.O.T.C had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
There was a sequal to ToD, it was almost as good. That game had one of the best fighting systems ever, you could be so cheap by spin jumping back and forth in the first one.

Was that the PS release that was Tales of Destiny II? I read something that that wasn't an actual sequel, but another game that got mislabeled. I also read that the real sequel was only Japan released? I may be wrong, though. I *hope* I'm wrong. I remember reading the website for the real sequel, and it sounded really neat. But then I never saw it come out here.

And what didn't you like about LoD, Parce? I thought the abilities system was great. It was a nice challenge and a good reprieve from FF's "Choose attack and wait".

Jania Arindelil fucked around with this message on 05-31-2004 at 01:57 PM.

Jania Arindelil
Dragon Guardian, Grandmaster Archer
Very Cranky Person
"I'll torture you so slowly, you'll think it's a career." - Darwin Mayflower
Alaan
posted 05-31-2004 02:57:50 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Pirotess:
Legend of Dragoon was a cool story, but the gameplay was horrible.

I rather liked the addition system. It was odd though that the Dragoons ended up being weaker than human form in the end.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 05-31-2004 03:01:18 PM
quote:
Alaan thought about the meaning of life:
I rather liked the addition system. It was odd though that the Dragoons ended up being weaker than human form in the end.

Did you find a max level yet?

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-31-2004 03:06:15 PM
It was fun, at first, but when you settle in for a long gaming haul, having to play a mini-game button-masher whenever you get in a fight becomes really tedious.
Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
I've had a few beers but I'm cool to drive
posted 05-31-2004 04:05:52 PM
Deus Ex has an amazing story, and System Shock 2. Amazing.

I think my favourite RPG of all time is Star Ocean: The Second Story. It was the first game I bought when I got my PS1, and I played the hell out of it. Great game overall.

I loved Legend of Dragoon too. The addition system was great, getting to the higher levels and using the crazy ones. Like that karate master...can't remember the name, but some of his higher additions were just mental.

I recommend all four.

'But if I had a shotgun you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heavan on down for you'

Bradley Nowell
Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 05-31-2004 04:12:44 PM
System SHock 2

Fallout 2

Suikoden

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 05-31-2004 04:21:33 PM
A lot of good recomendations above.

The ones I'd recommend personnal would be KOTOR (don't really have to be a big star wars fan even to appreciate it), Final Fantasies VI, VIII, and X, Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate 2 (don't have to finish the original to appreciate), and Morrowind.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 05-31-2004 04:24:11 PM
Wait until June 8th.

Get the new Shining Force GBA game.

Play. Enjoy the plot!

Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 05-31-2004 05:22:56 PM
morrowind is great, played nothign but it for a few months, but would hardly consider it story based

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 05-31-2004 09:23:46 PM
Try the Lunar Series, FFX is great too. Don't forget some of the Tomb Raider plots, Final Fantasy Tactics and FFT:A are amazing plot wise.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: