EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Petals around the rose
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 05-29-2004 07:16:22 AM
http://personal.baker.edu/web2/cdavis09/roses.html

Kept me entertained a good two minutes, but I'd imagine it could be hard for you math guys.

hey
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 05-29-2004 09:53:28 AM
This is going to be frustrating me for weeks, I can tell.

Gahh!

Pvednes fucked around with this message on 05-29-2004 at 09:53 AM.

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 05-29-2004 10:53:48 AM
Someone sent me this just the other day, actually.

I screwed around with it for a while, until I realized that I'd done this before.

This thing works a lot better with real dice, though, IMO.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Noxhil
Pancake
posted 05-29-2004 10:54:47 AM
Took me about 15 minutes and I'm a maths person. I finally stopped messing around with equations and got it.
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 05-29-2004 11:13:15 AM
*click*

Ah.

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 05-29-2004 11:14:14 AM
Whatever you do, don't post how to do it
hey
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-29-2004 11:41:23 AM
I've known how to do it for seven years.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Gadani
U
posted 05-29-2004 11:50:14 AM
It took me all of 30 seconds.
Mod
Pancake
posted 05-29-2004 11:50:41 AM
After I was told that mathematical people will find it hard it was rather easy.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Suddar
posted 05-29-2004 11:57:17 AM
Yeah, I looked at it from a math perspective for a few minutes seconds...then I considered what exactly it was asking.

Took me about a minute of thinking, but I got it.

I hate contradicting myself with my generic word choices.

Suddar fucked around with this message on 05-29-2004 at 11:58 AM.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 05-29-2004 12:03:09 PM
quote:
Karnaj Model 2000 was programmed to say:
I'll know how to do it in seven years.
Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 05-29-2004 12:04:01 PM
Haha. I spent like 15 minutes on this last night, then got it almost instantly this morning.
Taeolas
Pancake
posted 05-29-2004 12:14:11 PM
Saw it on another board. Got it right the first time right off the bat. Honestly it boggles me that it confuses people so much but I can sort've see how that can happen. And I am a mathie as well; got a BMath to prove it.
Peter
Pancake
posted 05-29-2004 12:18:00 PM
I got it no joke, the first time.
BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 05-29-2004 12:25:10 PM
College Student who graduated at the top of her math class in high school can't get it: and It's pissing me off.
Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Peter
Pancake
posted 05-29-2004 12:27:23 PM
quote:
BeauChan was listening to Cher while typing:
College Student who graduated at the top of her math class in high school can't get it: and It's pissing me off.

Think about the name of the game for a second.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 05-29-2004 12:27:32 PM
I spent around 10 minutes on it, doing all the usuals. Then I hit something by accident and thought I broke it. Solved it about 20 seconds after that.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 05-29-2004 12:28:56 PM
People who plan to give the answers away should at least use spoiler tags
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 05-29-2004 12:36:09 PM
I got it, and feel embarassed that I didn't sooner.
BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 05-29-2004 12:36:34 PM
oh shit. I got it.

BeauChan fucked around with this message on 05-29-2004 at 12:38 PM.

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Gadani
U
posted 05-29-2004 12:40:58 PM
The answer is 1*

*Not really

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 05-29-2004 01:25:17 PM
Because you mentioned that math people would find it difficult, I got it instantly, heh. I knew that you wouldn't be adding up the dice, so I looked for other things and found the sum of numbers around the "center" peg
[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 05-29-2004 01:36:28 PM
Jesus.. As soon as I stopped thinking about it, I looked and saw what it was. Duh.
Mightion Defensor
posted 05-29-2004 01:38:01 PM
Heh... I have this same program for my Commodore 64, so I knew this... ack... at least 15 years ago...

Spoiler tag or no spoiler tag, you shouldn't be telling anyone the secret!

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 05-29-2004 01:50:17 PM
Took me about five minutes.

Annoying thing.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 05-29-2004 01:51:29 PM
I didn't recognize the name, but I knew instantly what it was when the dice came up on screen.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 05-29-2004 02:18:23 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Heh... I have this same program for my Commodore 64, so I knew this... ack... at least 15 years ago...

Spoiler tag or no spoiler tag, you shouldn't be telling anyone the secret!

Uhhhh that's what the spoiler tag is there for, dude.

Caela
Crazed Ex-Angel
posted 05-29-2004 02:26:10 PM
Right the first time..took about 10 seconds *shrugs*
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. " - the "Professor" - The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 05-29-2004 06:17:57 PM
Took me about 10 ten minutes.

I felt a huge 'duh' moment.

Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 05-29-2004 06:23:01 PM
Got it right on the first try Go me!
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 05-29-2004 07:49:26 PM
Way to be a lame ass, Waisz.

Request to change the thread to Flame so we can flame Waisz for being a turd. >:(

hey
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 05-29-2004 07:59:49 PM
Took me all of 10 seconds.

It was so obvious.

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-30-2004 12:59:12 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Gadani wrote:
It took me all of 30 seconds.
Snugglits
posted 05-30-2004 01:00:31 AM
quote:
Jens got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Way to be a lame ass, Waisz.

Request to change the thread to Flame so we can flame Waisz for being a turd. >

What the fuck? It's in spoiler, man. And you have shown you certainly don't need a flame tag to flame people, so what are you waiting for?

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 05-30-2004 07:09:38 AM
Got it right with the first try!

That's either because I'm a super genious or because I know a similiar, slightly more complicated game.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Espio Idsavant
You have gotten better at Being a Lush! (200)
posted 05-30-2004 10:12:17 AM
It took me about 20 minutes >_<. I kept writing down the numbers and looking for a pattern... then I got a roll whose answer was zero, that totally stuck a fork in any possible pattern. Thats when I realized how to get the answer...
And you can still be free, If time will set you free
And going higher than the mountain tops
And go high like the wind don't stop...

[ My gooberish Live Journal thingy ]

diadem
eet bugz
posted 05-30-2004 10:19:42 AM
It took me about a minute (hit check 3 times for 3 rolls to find a pattern and it was obvious real fast)...

but if you didn't tell me it was a trick question in your first post it would have taken a lot long becuase I would have looked for a mathmatical formula instead of the obvious.

then again, I tend to have "perfect" scores on problem solving quesitons. the harder it is, the easier it is for me to figure out.

diadem fucked around with this message on 05-30-2004 at 10:21 AM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 05-30-2004 11:23:44 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Taeolas wrote:
Got it right the first time right off the bat.

Ditto.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 05-30-2004 11:51:17 AM
Took me like 2 days but I finally stopped attempting to apply chaos theory and it worked.
Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 05-30-2004 12:39:30 PM
quote:
Waisz was listening to Cher while typing:
What the fuck? It's in spoiler, man. And you have shown you certainly don't need a flame tag to flame people, so what are you waiting for?

Dude, every site this thing is on says DON'T TELL ANYBODY ELSE ABOUT THE SOLUTION!!!11!!111ONE Yeesh. Let people figure it out on their own.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: