EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: If you had a billion dollars like me?
Ben
Pancake
posted 02-27-2004 11:43:18 PM
i own a fortune 5 million company and wanted to run a survey on the people in the real world on what they would do if i gave them a million dollars.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 02-27-2004 11:44:09 PM
I own forty billion dollars! I don't want to know what you'd do with it, because you'd only squander it, you ninnypuss.
BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 02-27-2004 11:45:05 PM
hmmm.. I'm in the dark.

[ 02-27-2004: Message edited by: Meadhbh Ó Caoinlean ]

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 02-27-2004 11:46:48 PM
Club you over the head and take the rest of it.

Duh.

Nwist, Who?
Nwist
posted 02-27-2004 11:46:54 PM
I'D BUY A PONY!!!
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 02-27-2004 11:54:43 PM
quote:
Ben had this to say about Duck Tales:
i own a fortune 5 million company and wanted to run a survey on the people in the real world on what they would do if i gave them a million dollars.

Fortune 5 million company?

That would mean you are one of the top 5 million companies?

I think just about all companies, even a little mom and pop store could make THAT list.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 02-27-2004 11:55:29 PM
Heh, note the tag of this thread.
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 02-28-2004 12:16:55 AM
House in Florida.

and yes, I know he used the lie tag.

Iulius Czar
Pancake
posted 02-28-2004 12:51:50 AM
If I had a billion platinum,
I'd buy you a shield to go with your sword

--maybe a bladestopper, or a CGS

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 02-28-2004 12:52:37 AM
I'd buy a computer.

And I'd name him HAL.

And I'd hire the most ANNOYING GUY I KNEW, and rename him Dave.

Bwahahahaha~

Super Kagrama
ROFLELFOLOL!!!11!1 YUO CAN'T RAED MY POSTSSE!@!11
posted 02-28-2004 12:59:18 AM
MUEGGING SI the ORDAER OF the DAEY!!!111!1
i shoueld joeg threw the foreast moer offeand!!11
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-28-2004 01:26:40 AM
quote:
Iulius Czar had this to say about Cuba:
If I had a billion platinum,
I'd buy you a shield to go with your sword

--maybe a bladestopper, or a CGS

Richie Truxillo fucking ruled

Maradon!
posted 02-28-2004 01:28:20 AM
quote:
x--TrilleeO-('-'Q) :
House in Florida.

and yes, I know he used the lie tag.

I hope you're keen on the elderly and cubans.

[ 02-28-2004: Message edited by: Maradon the Dumbleton ]

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 02-28-2004 01:31:51 AM
quote:
Maradon the Dumbleton had this to say about Cuba:
I hope you're keen on the elderly and cubans.

I care not if there are elderly, nore care not if there are cubans.

I care for the warmth, the palmtrees, the warmth, and the fact that I've always loved every trip I've taken to it.

Zaile Ghostmaker
You've gotta remember, I'm an EverQuest character.
posted 02-28-2004 02:30:38 AM
quote:
Ben probably says this to all the girls:
what they would do if i gave them a million dollars.

Ask for it in pennies.

I find that most problems can be solved by excessive violence.

It is held in thought
only by the understanding
of the Wind.

Maradon!
posted 02-28-2004 02:33:46 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Zaile Ronso who doth quote:
Ask for it in pennies.

A million dollars in pennies melts down into three million dollars worth of raw materials.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 02-28-2004 03:36:31 AM
Where do you get that from?
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 02-28-2004 10:02:43 AM
quote:
Maradon the Dumbleton had this to say about Pirotess:
A million dollars in pennies melts down into three million dollars worth of raw materials.

That sounds like a decent deal.

hey
Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 02-28-2004 10:06:34 AM
I'd bank it and live off the interest for the rest of my life.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-28-2004 10:14:19 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Maradon the Dumbleton said this:

I thought they quit making copper pennies because of that very fact?

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-28-2004 10:15:31 AM
quote:
Niklas had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
I'd bank it and live off the interest for the rest of my life.

Not sure what interest rates are where you live, but that would actually be fairly tough, except with a modest lifestyle.

Niklas
posted 02-28-2004 10:16:40 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Bloodsage said:
Not sure what interest rates are where you live, but that would actually be fairly tough, except with a modest lifestyle.

I have a very modest lifestyle indeed.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-28-2004 10:19:32 AM
quote:
Niklas had this to say about Cuba:
I have a very modest lifestyle indeed.

At my bank's current interest rate, $1,000,000 would only generate $20,000-$30,000 per year. Taxable. Less on a checking account.

Niklas
posted 02-28-2004 10:27:09 AM
quote:
Bloodsage stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
At my bank's current interest rate, $1,000,000 would only generate $20,000-$30,000 per year. Taxable. Less on a checking account.

quote:
Ben Sed: If you had a billion dollars like me?

&nbsp;
can you please fix my title
posted 02-28-2004 10:37:53 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Bloodsage wrote:

I'm not sure but I belive if you have a large sum banks give more favorable rates.

also you need to look at how long do you plan on living if you had say 20 years of life expectancy you could take a 50k a year draw and still have moeny left over.

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 02-28-2004 10:40:02 AM
quote:
Bloodsage was listening to Cher while typing:

Could easily live off that, specialy if its subsdizzed wiht ranodm jobs to get rid of boredom

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-28-2004 10:47:54 AM
quote:
Mog said this about your mom:
Could easily live off that, specialy if its subsdizzed wiht ranodm jobs to get rid of boredom

Have you priced housing, groceries, transportation, insurance, and medical coverage lately? Just to name a few.

Not to say it can't be done, but it's not exactly the height of style and comfort.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-28-2004 10:48:26 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Ben wrote:

See above, Niklas.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-28-2004 10:50:13 AM
quote:
Somthor had this to say about pies:
I'm not sure but I belive if you have a large sum banks give more favorable rates.

also you need to look at how long do you plan on living if you had say 20 years of life expectancy you could take a 50k a year draw and still have moeny left over.

First, he said he'd be able to live off the interest, if you'd been paying attention, so your second point is irrelevant.

Second, do you have any evidence that banks would give a significantly higher interest rate on a million-dollar balance? Otherwise, you're just being contrary without any real point.

Niklas
posted 02-28-2004 10:51:04 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about dark elf butts:
See above, Niklas.

Bah, I blame it on having just woken up

Hmm, a million dollars.. I'd still bank it and use the interest to help me through the next few years. Especially University and my first few jobs.

Zeke
I am a vampire and
posted 02-28-2004 10:51:52 AM
While youcan't really live off the interest alone, it would definitely be a nice add-on to your paycheck. Figure if you have a decent job and make $45,000 a year plus say the $25,000 you're living pretty well at $70,00 a year plus the $1,000,000 in the bank is pretty fun to look at too. Now if we go with the $1,000,000,000 in the bank then at the same interest rates it should be around 20,000,000 a year...anyone that can't live off that needs to quit buying countries and coating them in gold.
"Death most resembles a prophet who is without honor in his own land or a poet who is a stranger among his people."
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once."
Hime, eien-ni, anata-wo ai-shimasu.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 02-28-2004 10:52:15 AM
quote:
Verily, Bloodsage doth proclaim:

Yeah...used to be you may be able to pull this off, but not today. would need a good 2-3 mil after taxes to do it.

What this would enable you to do, if you saved a good chunk of it, would be to use the interest for day to day expenses, and only do some kind of job for supplementary income (depending on where in the US you live). I know the town I'm from, Havelock, 35000-40,000 would be far more than enough per year to support a single person in a pretty comfortable lifestyle.

But yeah, this would let you do something as a hobby and make money on the side, as opposed to having to work a job you may hate.

Me, I'd open a business. Likely a cyber-cafe type place.

OOH, and I just noticed something Niklas said.

I'd become a full time college student, for a long long time!

30,000 a year would support tuition, buy books each year, and givey ou more than enough to rent a nice on campus apartment. I put out a total of 10,000 a year for all this. That would leave 20,000 spending money

[ 02-28-2004: Message edited by: Falaanla Marr ]

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-28-2004 11:34:58 AM
quote:
^_^ Zeke kekeke lala~~ had this to say about Captain Planet:
While youcan't really live off the interest alone, it would definitely be a nice add-on to your paycheck. Figure if you have a decent job and make $45,000 a year plus say the $25,000 you're living pretty well at $70,00 a year plus the $1,000,000 in the bank is pretty fun to look at too. Now if we go with the $1,000,000,000 in the bank then at the same interest rates it should be around 20,000,000 a year...anyone that can't live off that needs to quit buying countries and coating them in gold.

Of course having $1,000,000 in the bank would be a nice thing!

I'd invest it, however; even invested conservatively, the returns would be much better.

&nbsp;
posted 02-28-2004 07:33:50 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Bloodsage wrote:
First, he said he'd be able to live off the interest, if you'd been paying attention, so your second point is irrelevant.

Second, do you have any evidence that banks would give a significantly higher interest rate on a million-dollar balance? Otherwise, you're just being contrary without any real point.

you have any that they dont? otherwise you are jsut being contrary without any real point.

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-28-2004 09:26:47 PM
quote:
How.... Somthor.... uughhhhhh:
you have any that they dont? otherwise you are jsut being contrary without any real point.

As you've been told many times before, logic doesn't work that way. You made an assertion; you have to provide the evidence. Further, it's not possible to prove a negative--that's why the person making an assertion bears the burden of proof.

You really aren't qualified to play this game.

Razor
posted 02-28-2004 09:40:58 PM
I know for my Credit Union, They do have a tiered intrest set, 2.5% for the low end (under $1000US) and 12.3% on those over $80k, using 100k as the maximum insured ammount via FDIC/NCUA. (Actual percentages vary of course due to loan payments, actual loans, the fed, and other factors; and are based on the quartlery report of my credit union, California Coast)

I'd say you'd be able to pull at most 18k a year off a cool mil, 16k after taxes, this amount is BELOW POVERTY level for the United States.

I know that, at least where I live, that the poverty level is 30k/year or there about.

[spell check please ]

[ 02-28-2004: Message edited by: Razor ]

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 02-28-2004 09:55:01 PM
I'd buy Fal and make him my sex slave. With the leftover $999,980 I'd try and buy an auctioned off jet carrier on ebay, park that baby off from Norfolk, and throw kickin' parties on the weekends.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 02-28-2004 10:03:27 PM
quote:
Jajahotep had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
I'd buy Fal and make him my sex slave. With the leftover $999,980 I'd try and buy an auctioned off jet carrier on ebay, park that baby off from Norfolk, and throw kickin' parties on the weekends.

I'm not that cheap. I cost 25 bucks

Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 02-28-2004 10:07:10 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Punky Brewster:
I'm not that cheap. I cost 25 bucks

Fine fine.. $25 it is.

Now.. go get the lotion.

&nbsp;
posted 02-29-2004 12:15:06 AM
quote:
Bloodsage enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
As you've been told many times before, logic doesn't work that way. You made an assertion; you have to provide the evidence. Further, it's not possible to prove a negative--that's why the person making an assertion bears the burden of proof.

You really aren't qualified to play this game.

Logic also dictates that bank would give customers with large deposits such as 1 mill a prefered rate in order to get and maintain thier bussness.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: