EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: What book/s are you reading?
Alaan
posted 02-24-2004 10:13:54 PM
I just killed off The Book of Counted Sorrows by Dean Koontz. Kind of an interesting story behind it. In many of Koontz's books there are short poems or quotes from The Book of Counted Sorrows. Up until about 3 years ago though, it didn't actually exist. Koontz got tired of people questioning him about this elusive book(generally 3000 letters about it in a year) that he finally decided to write it. Sadly it is only available as an e-book though. There are "plans" to publish it but no word so far.

The first two-thirds or so is the "history" of the book. This part is pretty hilarious. It involves such great topics as squirrel worshipping cults, ninjas, and people turning into butter. The last part is the "actual" Book of Counted Sorrows. This is a collection of poetry that he has written. Some of it was in books previously, but other ones are new. Most of it is rather bleak and focuses on good, evil, and philosophy. Then there are some strange ones like this haiku:

Busy blue-eyed girl.
Busy making Hobbit games.
Death waits in Mordor.

Overall, a pretty good read, though pretty short due to only ~250 pages and some pretty large text.

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 02-24-2004 10:15:15 PM
Rereading the Myth Adventures of Skeeve and Aahz, all 12 books.
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 02-24-2004 10:16:48 PM
Bram Stoker's Dracula.
Suddar
posted 02-24-2004 10:17:17 PM
Lord of the Flies and Lord of the Rings.

I'm that hardcore.

Maradon!
posted 02-24-2004 10:18:13 PM
a book of John Milton poems, mostly "Paradise Lost"

pretty interesting.

Zair
The Imp
posted 02-24-2004 10:18:27 PM
Rereading "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right" by Al Franken. Very funny. I recommend it, but some of it is funnier if you are familiar with Bill O'Reilly, Ann Coulter, and people like them.
Razor
posted 02-24-2004 10:19:04 PM
Introductory Lectures to Psychoanalysis, by Sigmund Freud.
Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 02-24-2004 10:20:27 PM
A Brave New World, currently (senior project) and once I finish that off, I intend to get back to Carrion Comfort.
Lady Delirium
Drysart loves me!
posted 02-24-2004 10:23:28 PM
quote:
Zair's account was hax0red to write:
Rereading "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right" by Al Franken. Very funny. I recommend it, but some of it is funnier if you are familiar with Bill O'Reilly, Ann Coulter, and people like them.

read that

currently re-reading mysts of avalon......soo goood
you all should read it, especially if youre into fantasy/battles/medievil-ness

yes, that is maradon spining around in a chair ^_ ____ _ ^
Alaan
posted 02-24-2004 10:29:13 PM
Forgot. What kicked off the search for Counted Sorrows was one of the verses that was quoted in Koontz's Strangers. A group of seemingly unrelated strangers(gasp) from different parts of the country start having irrational fears and/or personality changes. As they try to hunt down the source of their problems they are drawn together to the place where it all happened. What happened I don't know yet, but it is a fairly addicting read like much of Koontz's books. Othere suggested ones by him that I have read are Hideaway and From the Corner of His Eye.
Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 02-24-2004 10:31:02 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Suddar wrote:
Lord of the Flies and Lord of the Rings.

I'm that hardcore.

I never really liked Lord of the Flies that much.

Im reading Aliens: Labyrinth, Aliens: Beserker, and Starcraft: Speed of Darkness (I LOVE science fiction)

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 02-24-2004 10:31:54 PM
quote:
Zair enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:

Reading this as well. Quite good.

Also just finished the latest Harry Potter book (Yes, I know, it's a kid book, but they are actually decent books).

Alaan
posted 02-24-2004 10:32:34 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Lechium:

Im reading Aliens: Labyrinth, Aliens: Beserker, and Starcraft: Speed of Darkness (I LOVE science fiction)

Speed of Darkness was a rather...interesting book. It definitely came at the SC universe from a cool angle.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-24-2004 10:33:42 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Lechium said:

Blasphemer!

I'm reading Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. I'm not really enjoying it, but it's rather short.

BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 02-24-2004 10:35:05 PM
Stephen King's By a Buick 8
Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 02-24-2004 10:35:22 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Alaan wrote:
Speed of Darkness was a rather...interesting book. It definitely came at the SC universe from a cool angle.

I was glad that the book had a good ending, not some sappy garbage crap that I would expect from a third rate romance novel. He's a space marine, he did what he was supposed to do!

Oh yeah, and I gotta read Starship Troopers over again... that book

[ 02-24-2004: Message edited by: Lechium ]

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 02-24-2004 10:35:55 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Cherveny:
Reading this as well. Quite good.

Also just finished the latest Harry Potter book (Yes, I know, it's a kid book, but they are actually decent books).

Forgot to mention one other I'm reading. "The Scar" by China Mieville. Great author.

Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 02-24-2004 10:40:24 PM
Besides a pile of stuff for school, I'm reading The Archaic Revival by Terence McKenna. I also recently read the first two novels in Brian Lumley's Necroscope series. They made me remember how much I enjoy supernatural-horror fiction

""...destructive analysis of the familiar is the only method of approach to an understanding of fundamentally different modes of expression." -Edward Sapir, Language
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 02-24-2004 10:40:58 PM
Starship Troopers.

can you please fix my title
posted 02-24-2004 10:50:27 PM
short attention span im reading Revenge Fantastic a collection of short stories revolving around a central theme of revenge.
Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
MorbId
Pancake
posted 02-24-2004 10:53:18 PM
For school:
Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky and Death in the Time of Cholera.

Crime and Punishment is very, very good. Death in the Time of Cholera is by Gabriel Marcia Marquez, who is sort of a South American Faulkner. I don't care for his style very much, though One Huundred Years of Solitude was certainly ..unique.

For pleasure:
From the Corner of His Eye, Dean Koontz. Some short stories by Tanith Lee - messed up stuff. And, finally, finishing "The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward" by Lovecraft.

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 02-24-2004 10:57:00 PM
On A Pale Horse, by Piers Anthony. It's really tight, but I keep neglecting to read it After this I'll probably break into The Art of War, and then start wading through the most recent Wheel of Time books.

EDIT: The u and i keys are right next to each other, y'know.

[ 02-24-2004: Message edited by: Sentow, Maybe ]

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Zair
The Imp
posted 02-24-2004 10:57:09 PM
quote:
MorbId had this to say about Duck Tales:
For school:
Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky and Death in the Time of Cholera.

I also really liked Crime and Punishment. Was a lot better than I had anticipated.

[ 02-24-2004: Message edited by: Zair ]

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-24-2004 11:01:07 PM
quote:
Maradon the Dumbleton screamed this from the crapper:
a book of John Milton poems, mostly "Paradise Lost"

pretty interesting.

Farewel happy Fields
Where Joy for ever dwells: Hail horrours, hail
Infernal world, and thou profoundest Hell
Receive thy new Possessor: One who brings
A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time.

As for me, I'm currently reading the collected works of Lovecraft. Iä! Iä! Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Cthulhu fhtagn!

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Abbikat
Tastes best with pudding
posted 02-24-2004 11:11:38 PM
"The Internet for Dummies"

wut?

Were-Tigress Disciple of Lycanthropy
Perma-lowbie, addicted to MMORPGs
My LiveJournal

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 02-24-2004 11:48:07 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent MorbId said:
I don't care for his style very much, though One Huundred Years of Solitude was certainly ..unique.

I really liked Marquez. I read One Hundred Years of Solitude and Chronicle of a Death Foretold, though, so that may have something to do with it.

I enjoy a lot of the literature from that area, though. I read Ficciones, and thought that was great (I especially liked the story about the Library of Babel or whatever it was), and I'm currently reading Pedro Paramo.

[ 02-24-2004: Message edited by: Arttemis ]

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 02-24-2004 11:56:13 PM
"A People's Tragedy" by Orlando Figes. 800+ pages on the Russian Revolution and Civil War and how the Soviet government first set itself up.

After I finish that one, it's a massive biography of Pope John Paul II that I've had for a couple of years and never started reading before.

[ 02-24-2004: Message edited by: Callalron ]

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-25-2004 12:00:34 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about (_|_):
Starship Troopers.

That was definately a cool book.

TheOriginalZane
Pancake
posted 02-25-2004 12:04:25 AM
Im reading the works of Homer, Virgil, and Dante; and on the side Im reading Requiem for a Dream By Hubert Selby. It's what the Movie is based on... and it makes me cry .

[ 02-25-2004: Message edited by: ToastedFritters ]

The worst member of EC.
Live Journal
Sean
posted 02-25-2004 12:54:28 AM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about Pirotess:
I'm reading Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. I'm not really enjoying it, but it's rather short.

I'm trying to read it too, but finding it to be some of the driest reading I've ever done.

I'm also plowing through Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Jet
Pancake
posted 02-25-2004 01:10:12 AM
Atm I am re-reading Laurell K Hamilton's Vampire hunter books. They are a new style take on Vampire stories... Also Super sexually charged! There are werewolves and Pard( they are shapeshifting felines instead of wolves)magic and necromancers....Hamilton has a real way with words!
This may actually be a hit with the Furrie fans
Peter
Pancake
posted 02-25-2004 01:38:48 AM
I am reading through the Song Ice and Fire books, Almost through the second one, will be done by thursday or Friday, I also have Heinlein's "For Us, The Living" Which was unpublished till recently.

For those That have Just Read Starship Troopers, I suggest getting your hands on a copy of Joe Halderman's Forever War , and Armor by John Steakley, And Ender's Game If you haven't already.

Zair
The Imp
posted 02-25-2004 01:43:10 AM
quote:
Peter enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
I am reading through the Song Ice and Fire books,

Those are my favorite books. The story is leagues beyond any other Sci fi/fantasy book in my opinion. Seriously, that series is the one thing I'm fanboyish about. I check www.georgerrmartin.com just about every day awaiting news on the fourth book.

Hope you are enjoying them

Interesting fact! I saw a picture of the author in an SA Cliff Yablowski (or whatever) update once.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 02-25-2004 02:29:13 AM
I'm choking down the Wheel of Time series en masse again. I just got back up to book 5 and am not looking forward to slogging through books 5-8 to get to the goodness of book 9. I then plan on making the mistake of reading book 10, finally crushing all my hopes that the series will be interesting again.

After this, i'm going to read through the ever increasing orgasmicness of the 3 Song of Fire and Ice books to prep for book 4.

Then it's off to read Harry Potter 1-5 again.

After that, I'm hoping some more of the Mercedes Lackey series I've started will be out again. If not i'll tear through A Brief History of Time again and mebbe start going into some of the more technical astrophysics books or I'll pick up the Drow Civil War books.

Then mebbe some basic Psych stuff. Or philosophy. Haven't planned that far ahead yet.

.com
Pancake
posted 02-25-2004 02:48:30 AM
Im currently reading the Robotech series. First series Im on is called BattleCry. Good series so far.
What did five fingers say to the face? SLAP!!!!!

Im Rick James, bitch!!!!

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 02-25-2004 03:29:37 AM
In the last year I've read pretty much every Lovecraft book and story ever published, about 20 WH40k novels and currently I'm reading the Honor Harrington series by David Weber.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for trivial literature.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Freschel Spindrift
Caucasian
posted 02-25-2004 03:33:19 AM
I just finished Harry Harrison's, "Make Room!, Make Room!". BTW it's the movie "Soylent Green" was loosely based. It's not that good. The novel not the movie.
Who's that crazy kook that's destroying the world. It's Zorc (That's me) It's Zorc and Pals.
Bakura: Did you forget our anniversary, again? (laughter)
Zorc: Yes, I was busy destroying the world (laughter) Slaughtering millions. (Laughter)
Bakura: That's my Zorc.
The blood of the innocents will flow without end. His name is Zorc, and he's destroying the world.
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 02-25-2004 09:46:38 AM
"The Sun Sword", Book Six and the last in the Sun Sword series by Michelle West.

Got "The Gathering Storm", Book 5 of the Crown of Stars series by Kate Elliot, waiting after that. ^.^

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 02-25-2004 10:01:06 AM
I finally got Shadow Puppets, so currently I'm re-reading Shadow of the Hegemon first.
"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Zeke
I am a vampire and
posted 02-25-2004 10:02:19 AM
Flame of Recca manga, volume 4.
"Death most resembles a prophet who is without honor in his own land or a poet who is a stranger among his people."
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once."
Hime, eien-ni, anata-wo ai-shimasu.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: