EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: And so it begins.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-24-2004 09:19:56 PM
Bush backs an amendment banning gay marriage

I'm frankly suprised that he's going for it in election season. A far safer move would have been to wait until he got re-elected, and then endorsed this amendment. At best, it's leaving it open for civil unions to be legalized on a state-by-state basis. Looks like this will be one of the hot-button issues in the upcoming election. Veddy interesting.

[ 02-24-2004: Message edited by: Karnaj ]

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Zair
The Imp
posted 02-24-2004 09:23:52 PM
Bad idea. Constitutional ammendments aren't meant to legislate.

can you please fix my title
posted 02-24-2004 09:24:18 PM
I'll disagree I think there are enough people out there who will vote for him becuse of this than against.

although I tend to feel that this should be a non issue. The federal and state goverenments need to keep their noses out of private affairs.

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 02-24-2004 09:25:40 PM
quote:
Somthor got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
I'll disagree I think there are enough people out there who will vote for him becuse of this than against.

although I tend to feel that this should be a non issue. The federal and state goverenments need to keep their noses out of private affairs.

Yeah, but are the people who'd vote for him because of this issue convert voters?

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 02-24-2004 09:26:33 PM
Dumbest move...

That is the singulare dumbest move...

diadem
eet bugz
posted 02-24-2004 09:27:35 PM
stupid. and a waste of resources.
play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
&nbsp;
posted 02-24-2004 09:30:50 PM
quote:
diadem had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
stupid. and a waste of resources.

maybe but I thinkits a excellent smoke and mirrors to draw attention from other topics he rather us not spend time dewlling on.

like Iraq, WMD, economy, jobs, etc etc etc

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 02-24-2004 09:32:12 PM
quote:
Verily, Somthor doth proclaim:
maybe but I thinkits a excellent smoke and mirrors to draw attention from other topics he rather us not spend time dewlling on.

oddly... I agree.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 02-24-2004 09:33:38 PM
quote:
Somthor's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:

which as a voter it makes me pissed that resources are being spent on that instead of other domestic issues like helping the economy.

Maradon!
posted 02-24-2004 09:37:29 PM
This is almost as bad as Tipper Gore trying to ban video games.

I can't see this as anything more than an incredibly bad publicity stunt. It's never going to pass, and before you know it liberals will have their first-ever label for Bush that's nearly legitimate: intolerant.

Then before you know it there's a Democrat in office and in a couple years we'll be living in a COMMUNIST STATE. Cut to a decade later and we're in shambles, just like every communist state before us.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 02-24-2004 09:42:52 PM
What in the fuck?!

I know this is unscientific.. but this is taken from a cnn.com poll

quote:

Should the U.S. Constitution be amended to ban same-sex marriages?

Yes 43% 115112 votes

No 57% 155432 votes

What happened to majority rules with minority rights? First the patriot act, now this. Have we forgotten the basic ideas of our founding documents?

edit: speaking of which.. there's a bit of reading I should do that i haven't read since grade school except for a joke of a politics class in college (easiest a ever) :/

[ 02-24-2004: Message edited by: diadem ]

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 02-24-2004 09:44:02 PM
quote:
diadem had this to say about John Romero:
What in the fuck?!

I know this is unscientific.. but this is taken from a cnn.com poll

What happened to majority rules with minority rights? First the patriot act, now this. Have we forgotten the basic ideas of our founding documents?

So you're for the banning of gay marriage?

Razor
posted 02-24-2004 09:45:20 PM
oops... meant to hit a new topic...

[ 02-24-2004: Message edited by: Razor ]

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
diadem
eet bugz
posted 02-24-2004 09:48:40 PM
quote:
Razor wrote this stupid crap:
oops... meant to hit a new topic...

better than hitting new topic and thinking you are hitting reply

Zair
The Imp
posted 02-24-2004 10:02:30 PM
quote:
Maradon the Dumbleton probably says this to all the girls:

Then before you know it there's a Democrat in office and in a couple years we'll be living in a COMMUNIST STATE. Cut to a decade later and we're in shambles, just like every communist state before us.

Yeah, those 8 years under Clinton were pure hell.

&nbsp;
posted 02-24-2004 10:31:34 PM
clinton is the reason I'm not a US customs agent today. I had a internship all set up which would have led to employment on graduation, but clinton got elected and did away with all the jobs. no internship

oh well

Zair
The Imp
posted 02-24-2004 10:32:37 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Somthor:
clinton is the reason I'm not a US customs agent today. I had a internship all set up which would have led to employment on graduation, but clinton got elected and did away with all the jobs. no internship

oh well

How many jobs have you had?

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 02-24-2004 11:47:12 PM
About 162 by the latest count.
Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Damnati
Filthy
posted 02-24-2004 11:52:10 PM
hmmm, i do suppose there is something known as "doing what's right"... but who am i to say what's right or wrong, ya? i agree with that move, whatever his reasoning may be.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 02-25-2004 12:25:21 AM
Right and wrong are just words.

When you've done something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

OMG STEALING FROM FUTURAMA?!?!

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 02-25-2004 12:41:28 AM
Fisrt off you can't judge public opinion off of a CNN Poll. The public is pretty split on this topic, probably leaning against gay Marriage overall. The problem is that you hear most of the yelling and screaming from NY and Cali. Which, despite what they think, do not control the rest of the country.

When you get into the Heartland or Bible belt you will find a lot of oposition to Gay Marriage.
Bush is a Republican, Conservatives in general are against Gay Marriages, therefore it makes sense for Bush to back this.

Do I think it should be an ammendment? Hmm I really dont' know. Probalby not. however I don't completely dissagree with the idea either.

Another thing I would like to point out. The US is NOT based on Majority Rule. We are a Democratic Republic, not a Democracy. There is a very important difference. In a Democratic Republic the people vote for the rulers and THEY make the decisions. In a Democracy we would all vote for every law. Our Congress, Senate, and president do thier best to lead us with the information they have. And thier job is to do what they feel is best for the country as a whole. Not to do what is popular

Parties like the Libratarians forget this. And this is why they will never win major National elections.
Taxes are not popular, but until somone comes up with a better way, they are staying around. The War in Iraq ws not "popular" (although many did support it), however the end result was well worth it.

You don't become President to be popular. You do it to get things done. And part of the job is having every person in the country second guessing you. But people like you and me dont' have all the info. We dont' get the National security Briefings, we don't see the satilite photos that show a camp where terrorist may be training. We don't deal with the saily shit that people in goverment have to go through.

Look at pictures of any president from the begining of thier term and compare it with a picture after they leave office. They haven't aged 4 or 8 years. These people look like hell warmed over. And it is because of the stress of this job. They know what they are doing far better than we do. And while I may not always agree with them either I willnever deny that it takes a hell of an iron will to do that job. And this goes for the ones I hated to Clinton, Carter, etc.

People look up some info on the net and think they know the whole story. Well there is a saying. "I belive 1/4 of what I hear and 1/2 of what I see." That is something you should live by. Because unless you know the whole story you can't say who is right or wrong.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Nwist, Who?
Nwist
posted 02-25-2004 12:48:28 AM
quote:
Azizza Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Parties like the Libratarians forget this.

I'm a Libra :D

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 02-25-2004 12:49:14 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when DJ Darius said this:
I'm a Libra

LOL Smartass

Zair
The Imp
posted 02-25-2004 12:51:34 AM
quote:
Azizza thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

Look at pictures of any president from the begining of thier term and compare it with a picture after they leave office. They haven't aged 4 or 8 years. These people look like hell warmed over. And it is because of the stress of this job.

Its a good thing Bush was taking those month long vacations, then. Too bad 9/11 put an end to that.

For the record, I agreed with a lot of what you said in that post. However, just because we are not privy to every piece of information that the President has, doesn't mean we should cease dissension in this country. And that really only applys to matters of security. In matters such as gay marriage, the President doesn't know anything we don't.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 02-25-2004 12:56:48 AM
quote:
Zair had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Its a good thing Bush was taking those month long vacations, then. Too bad 9/11 put an end to that.

For the record, I agreed with a lot of what you said in that post. However, just because we are not privy to every piece of information that the President has, doesn't mean we should cease dissension in this country. And that really only applys to matters of security. In matters such as gay marriage, the President doesn't know anything we don't.

Oh I agree in general. We should continue to question. However My point was that he (or she when a woman wins) is probably right more often than we are.

[ 02-25-2004: Message edited by: Azizza ]

Chalesm
There is no innuendo in this title.
posted 02-25-2004 04:22:49 AM
Erg. This is bad on several levels. One in particular, however, worries me.

Leaving aside the question of whether Gay marriage is right or wrong, a constitutional ammendment is *NOT* where that should be decided. Look at the amendments. Each and every one is either a statement on government structure and ability, or a declaration of a fundamental human right and/or equality. The only exception to this? The former 18th amendment, prohibition. And that one worked out oh so well, didn't it? Constitutional amendments are *not* the place to ban activities!

Even if one is against gay marriages, one must admit that it is a bit of a grey area, as no one is actually endangered by them; it's a matter of principle and preservation of an institution. Grey areas do *not* belong in the constitution, only the absolute firmest points of the people's rights belong there.

This is simply a blantant attempt to supercede the power of the judiciary branch of government; "If they say banning gay marriage is unconstitutional, then we'll put it in the constitution!" The system of checks and balances exists for a reason. If someone wants to change what's unconstitutional and what isn't, you do it the old-fashioned way; get your party elected repeatedly over many, many years, and slowly appoint judges that agree with you as the older ones die off. The judiciary branch is *meant* to be nearly impossible to change; that way, a quick political fad or movement can't change the landscape of our country.

Fight it in the legislature, fight it in the courts. But don't fight it in the constitution.

[ 02-25-2004: Message edited by: Chalesm ]

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Douglas Adams, 1952-2001

Mod
Pancake
posted 02-25-2004 06:19:42 AM
Silly Americans, trying to beat us at putting stupid crap into your constitution, when you manage to get the gas price in there we'll talk.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 02-25-2004 06:26:08 AM
Ok.. I wanna know where it says it's unconstitutional.
Mod
Pancake
posted 02-25-2004 06:30:47 AM
quote:
Trillee said this about your mom:
Ok.. I wanna know where it says it's unconstitutional.

It's been ruled so under equal protection in some states iirc.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 02-25-2004 07:19:38 AM
Disclaimer: These are thoughts in progress.*

This issue of gay marriages highlights a fundamental flaw in US society. We lack the ability to discuss issues on a philosophical level. How many people know what philosophy is? Much less taken a course in philosophy? (I mean in the general population.) I see so many flaws on both sides of the issues, it makes my brain spin.

While marriage does have its basis in religion, I think that religious documents fail to articulate of the goals and structure of marriage and therefore, those who debate the issue from a religious standpoint cannot debate this topic successfully. My favorite (that's a sarcasm) argument to date is one where a pastor on Larry King Live was trying to use the bible as the "word of god" therefore the bible is the ultimate authority. There are so many different versions of the bible and not everyone subscribes to the "word of god" so that argument goes out the window.

So now we have gay people wanting to get married to show their love for their chosen partner (not my thinking, just my impression from news broadcasts). Isn't this a fundamental problem with marriages between heterosexuals as well?

We have heterosexuals who get married because why? For the love and romance of being married. To avoid the risk of picking up sexually transmitted diseases from having sex with random partners. To affirm their lifelong committment to one other person. To live a longer life. Ad infinitum.

An underlying question is under what circumstances or environment do we want children to be raised. The idea of marriage is a "fundamental institution" of society. It's where children are born and raised and learn about how to be a citizen in any society. Children learn the basic rules of morality and laws from parents and older siblings and family members. Children learn how to behave as a male or female and how to behave in relation to people of different genders and authority levels. Or at least that's were our primary learning and socializing is supposed to occur. If we don't get this from our family, are we supposed to depend on teachers and educational institutions for this learning? Then again, those sources have been so dumbed down that we can't depend on them for childhood learning experiences.

*Flame away

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 02-25-2004 08:36:12 AM
I really don't mind the idea of gay marriage. If people want to get married why not let them? Was it not so long ago that inter-racial marriages were extreamly taboo?

I think this issue is on a few different levels. One level is what the gays want to do and why. They want to be able to get married so they feel they have equal rights like normal heterosexuals do. They want to be able to show their feelings are that strong that there isn't anything that is going to make them faulter. But also there is the problem of finances. Marriage will do all sorts of different things for taxes, insurance, loans and pretty much anything that deals with money. It usually makes it cheaper as well. Why should we be elitest bastards and hord that for ourselves?

On another level, the President is too religious. I think he draws most of his anti homosexual feelings from his religion, and his up bringing. There are far to many flaws in any religion to really base laws around them. They never really work out too well. Theocracies used to be big when our country wasn't a country yet. Look how well that worked out for the good people of Salem. They were killed because of blind belief in their religion.

On a personal note, I do think that gay marriage should be allowed. I don't see why it's anyone elses buisness to tell others what they can and cannot do in their relationships. Getting married is not extream, and should be a right for everyone, regarless of orientation.

Ona final note, I think it's funny that Bush is slapping Dick in the face like this. If you recall, Dick has a lesbian daughter, which I think is why Bush hasn't really spoken up until now.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 02-25-2004 08:42:19 AM
From the biased standpoint of my personal opinion, the touted institution of marriage, the religious sanctity of which Bush so heavily supports, has been falling apart all on its own. I keep hearing statistics that half of all marriages end in divorce. Many of these (let's say half) occur in the first few years. So I'd say gay marriages, which are currently shrouded in controversy and require a significant effort to obtain, have a better chance of functioning as stable, lasting unions, and healthy moral environments for raising children, than a lot of heterosexual marriages. Unless the divorce rate drops back down to 10%, I consider it foolhearty to tout the "sanctity of marriage" as something to be protected from change.

From a less biased standpoint of seeing things coming, if Bush does win this next election, he'll think it's his Gød-given right to do whatever the hell he wants. Setting aside my own opinions on issues like the Iraq vendetta and the Patriot Act, he has poised himself to ride into office on a proposal to change the foundation of this country for the sake of his own party's moral beliefs. A constitutional amendment of this nature would equate, as far as morality, to a constitutional ban on abortion or birth control (or both). It's a morally and socially divided issue, and any attempt to dictate an absolute solution will result in disaster. Some people still don't believe he won the last election. If he wins this one based on so radical a proposal, we'll likely find ourselves staring into the mouth of the abyss.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 02-25-2004 10:11:22 AM
I think Bush supporting a constitutional amendment on this issue is a bad idea as well. However, why are we arguing like he's made any law? Reading the Constitution:

quote:
The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress...

It may be a mistake politically, and I understand the arguments regarding the moral implications of such an amendment, but what he's actually proposing to do is to suggest that 2/3 of the House, 2/3 of the Senate (or 2/3 of the States, or 34 states) propose an amendment, and 3/4 of the State legislatures (38 states), all elected representatives of the people) ratify an amendment. If they don't, it does not pass, just like the failed Equal Rights Amendment in the past (which never seems to get raised in these discussions). They are all free to vote it down, and we are all free to call our elected representatives and lobby for our viewpoint, like any other law (although with a mich higher burden to pass it).

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Star Collective
Pancake
posted 02-25-2004 10:13:49 AM
I still think we should just give everyone "civil unions" and move marriage into a purely personal sphere.
The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. - Ursula K. LeGuin ~ The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
Zair
The Imp
posted 02-25-2004 10:15:40 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Star Collective wrote:
I still think we should just give everyone "civil unions" and move marriage into a purely personal sphere.

This is the best idea in regards to this subject I have yet heard.

Zeke
I am a vampire and
posted 02-25-2004 10:16:16 AM
The thing is though how many of the churches would allow it anyway? After all, religions tend to be against homosexuality in general and it's in their cynagogues (SP?) and such that the weddings occur.

Edit: typo

[ 02-25-2004: Message edited by: ^_^ Zeke kekeke lala~~ ]

"Death most resembles a prophet who is without honor in his own land or a poet who is a stranger among his people."
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once."
Hime, eien-ni, anata-wo ai-shimasu.
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 02-25-2004 10:19:45 AM
quote:
^_^ Zeke kekeke lala~~ had this to say about Duck Tales:
The thing is though how many of the churches would allow it anyway? After all, religions tend to be against homosexuality in general and it's in their cynagogues (SP?) and such that the weddings occur.

Edit: typo

Ever heard of a justice of the peace? Or a judge? They can perform weddings, so they certainly could perform civil unions.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Gydyon
posted 02-25-2004 10:20:44 AM
quote:
Star Collective had this to say about Robocop:

Yes, this is probably the best way to go politically.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-25-2004 10:23:24 AM
quote:
The propaganda machine of Gydyon's junta released this statement:
Ever heard of a justice of the peace? Or a judge? They can perform weddings, so they certainly could perform civil unions.

Do you know the difference between the two? I mean, is the license the same for both, or do you specifically have to apply for a civil union?

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Suddar
posted 02-25-2004 10:24:51 AM
Gydyon said what I wanted to. I really don't think that there's any chance that Bush is going to get the amount of support he'd need to pass this. There are too many democratic states out there, with democratic senators and representatives, which would not be caught dead voting yes on this.

I really don't see anything coming of this.

[ 02-25-2004: Message edited by: Suddar ]

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: