EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: And so it begins.
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 02-25-2004 10:27:55 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Karnaj said this:
Do you know the difference between the two? I mean, is the license the same for both, or do you specifically have to apply for a civil union?

Well, there really is no "civil union" yet. Maybe in some states. But I am thinking through to the next step.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Suddar
posted 02-25-2004 10:29:19 AM
p.s. I know that isn't exactly what Gydyon was saying but that's because I added my own opinion on at the end )
Vecchio Hickory
Pancake
posted 02-25-2004 10:33:03 AM
From the article Karnaj linked:

quote:
Bush softened his announcement by leaving the door open for states to legalize civil unions, which gay rights groups say is an insufficient alternative to marriage. "The amendment should fully protect marriage while leaving the state legislatures free to make their own choices in defining legal arrangements other than marriage," said Bush

Seems like it would come to a battle over terminology. If the ammendment passed, the religious/conservatives get to say "Huzzah! Our sacred marriage is protected!" The Homosexuals/liberal crowd get to have civil unions that give them the same rights under the law. What's the real difference other than the wording?

Whole thing seems like smoke and mirrors to me.

Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 02-25-2004 10:38:22 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Suddar!
p.s. I know that isn't exactly what Gydyon was saying but that's because I added my own opinion on at the end )

Nice save.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Suddar
posted 02-25-2004 10:39:50 AM
I thought so too.

But you did say part of what I wanted to say, which is why I said you said it.

Gydyon
posted 02-25-2004 10:41:02 AM
quote:
Smilodon Fatalis had this to say about the Spice Girls:
From the article Karnaj linked:

Seems like it would come to a battle over terminology. If the ammendment passed, the religious/conservatives get to say "Huzzah! Our sacred marriage is protected!" The Homosexuals/liberal crowd get to have civil unions that give them the same rights under the law. What's the real difference other than the wording?

Whole thing seems like smoke and mirrors to me.

Putting an amendment aside, the difference is that marriage would remain a mostly religious institution, and would retain its traditional definition. A civil union would give anyone the tax break and other benefits, while not having to be sanctioned by a denomination that is opposed to homosexual marriage.

But if it results in an argument over terminology, then this whole thing is really about politics and not morality then, isn't it.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-25-2004 10:46:33 AM
quote:
Karnaj said this:
And so it begins.

[B5] There is a hole.. in your mind. [/B5]

Vecchio Hickory
Pancake
posted 02-25-2004 10:47:19 AM
quote:
From the book of Gydyon, chapter 3, verse 16:
Putting an amendment aside, the difference is that marriage would remain a mostly religious institution, and would retain its traditional definition. A civil union would give anyone the tax break and other benefits, while not having to be sanctioned by a denomination that is opposed to homosexual marriage.

But if it results in an argument over terminology, then this whole thing is really about politics and not morality then, isn't it.

That's what I honestly think, Gyd. For most moderate and reasonable people, i think the civil union/marriage deal would work. But you will have zealots on both sides. On the right, those who will scream civil union/marriage whatever you call it for homosexuals is wrong. It shouldn't be allowed! On the other side, you will have some gay groups who won't be happy until it's called marriage, and some guy can march down the aisle of a cathedral, in full wedding gown, and be married by the bishop.

Gydyon
posted 02-25-2004 10:49:39 AM
quote:
Smilodon Fatalis had this to say about Punky Brewster:
That's what I honestly think, Gyd. For most moderate and reasonable people, i think the civil union/marriage deal would work. But you will have zealots on both sides. On the right, those who will scream civil union/marriage whatever you call it for homosexuals is wrong. It shouldn't be allowed! On the other side, you will have some gay groups who won't be happy until it's called marriage, and some guy can march down the aisle of a cathedral, in full wedding gown, and be married by the bishop.

Of course, forcing a religious institution to recognize a gay marriage would require a constitutional amendment withdrawing the Free Excercise and Establishment clauses of the First Amendment.....and the cycle continues....

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Gydyon
posted 02-25-2004 10:50:31 AM
quote:
Mortious said this about your mom:
[B5] There is a hole.. in your mind. [/B5]

Giants in the playgound...

Nothing here is exactly what it appears to be...

Now get the hell out of our galaxy!

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Vecchio Hickory
Pancake
posted 02-25-2004 10:55:11 AM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Gydyon wrote:
Of course, forcing a religious institution to recognize a gay marriage would require a constitutional amendment withdrawing the Free Excercise and Establishment clauses of the First Amendment.....and the cycle continues....

Politics within politics. I think the more likely scenario would be the internal politics of the demonination. Like what is happening with the Anglicans over the gay Bishop. the conservative/liberal sides of the demoination fighting for control of their church hierarchy.

can you please fix my title
posted 02-25-2004 11:00:42 AM
quote:
Callalron spewed forth this undeniable truth:
About 162 by the latest count.

you are inncorrect, I challenge you to find where I mentioned having even 1/4 of that number.

quote:
Zair had this to say about Robocop:
How many jobs have you had?

I didnt have that one

closest I ever got to an actualy Law enforcement type job, other than the military was Animal Control, which really wasnt the same thing.. but it sure was interesting

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Vecchio Hickory
Pancake
posted 02-25-2004 11:05:27 AM
Gyd, out of curiousity. What is your opinion about the Mayor of San Francisco issuing out marriage licences, even though he is in clear violation of California law?
BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 02-25-2004 11:13:29 AM
they can ban marriages yes...

but can they ban common law ones?

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 02-25-2004 12:05:17 PM
quote:
Verily, Karnaj doth proclaim:
Do you know the difference between the two? I mean, is the license the same for both, or do you specifically have to apply for a civil union?

The License was the legal document affirming the union, I thought. In any case Civil Unions grant a homosexual couple all the legal rights and bindings of a married couple.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 02-25-2004 02:56:21 PM
quote:
Verily, Somthor doth proclaim:
you are inncorrect, I challenge you to find where I mentioned having even 1/4 of that number.

That "wooshing" noise you hear is the sound of sarcasm flying far, far over your head.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Star Collective
Pancake
posted 02-25-2004 03:03:48 PM
quote:
Callalron's account was hax0red to write:
That "wooshing" noise you hear is the sound of sarcasm flying far, far over your head.

[insert generic snicker here]

The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. - Ursula K. LeGuin ~ The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 02-25-2004 03:28:36 PM
quote:
Gydyon said this about your mom:

The problem with this is, despite Bush's claims otherwise, not all religions are anti-homosexuality. As I've previously stated in another thread on the subject of gay marriage, Kemetic Orthodoxy hasn't a single thing against homosexuality...so why shouldn't I be able to get a Kemetic wedding, if it's a religious issue?

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Gydyon
posted 02-25-2004 04:29:11 PM
quote:
Zephyer Kyuukaze's account was hax0red to write:
The problem with this is, despite Bush's claims otherwise, not all religions are anti-homosexuality. As I've previously stated in another thread on the subject of gay marriage, Kemetic Orthodoxy hasn't a single thing against homosexuality...so why shouldn't I be able to get a Kemetic wedding, if it's a religious issue?

Actually, that's exactly my point with civil unions. You could have a perfectly legal civil union that gets you a tax break and benefits plus a Kemtic Orthodox (what is that by the way) marriage and be fine both ways.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Gydyon
posted 02-25-2004 04:32:22 PM
quote:
Smilodon Fatalis Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Gyd, out of curiousity. What is your opinion about the Mayor of San Francisco issuing out marriage licences, even though he is in clear violation of California law?

I think he's in clear violation of California law. If you oppose the law, file a suit challenging its constitutionality.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 02-25-2004 04:41:08 PM
quote:
Gydyon said this about your mom:
Actually, that's exactly my point with civil unions. You could have a perfectly legal civil union that gets you a tax break and benefits plus a Kemtic Orthodox (what is that by the way) marriage and be fine both ways.

Now see, that'd be just fine by me.

Kemetic Orthodoxy is a modern revival of the ancient Egyptian religion.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Demos
Pancake
posted 02-25-2004 04:49:45 PM
The reason the Mass. court went so far as to legalize gay marriage and not civil unions, is because similar to when segregation was national policy, seperate but equal is seldom ever.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 02-25-2004 04:54:46 PM
quote:
Gydyon impressed everyone with:

This makes me think though...

Supposing Bush's anti-homosexual-marriage amendment passes, somehow (say, Republicans ride into Democrat states at dawn and flay them all with machettes, just like it used to be). What exactly would it be doing? Along the same lines as the Kemetic thing, you can't stop a Christian church that does not discriminate against homosexuals from giving them a ceremony to go along with their civil union, aye?

So it looks like this is just being done to draw support. And since it's not likely to draw anyone, just push people away...

I hate Bush so much for doing stupid stuff like this. I mean, the way he talked about the war on Iraq (I dont really oppose that in and of itself, although the way it was handled is detestable) sometimes made it sound like a holy war and crap...and he kept on saying "We are one nation, united under one God..."

man, I've got news for you Bush.

anyway...I've gone off on a tangent.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: