EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Gyd
Drysart
Pancake
posted 02-18-2004 09:02:38 PM
Suicide is illegal in some jurisdictions.

Has there ever been a successful prosecution for it?

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 02-18-2004 09:04:33 PM
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 02-18-2004 09:05:00 PM
attempted suicide, i'd imagine.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 02-18-2004 09:05:20 PM
DON'T DO IT DRYSART! WE LOVE YOU!!!
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 02-18-2004 09:06:24 PM
Don't do it without writing your will, at least.

Leave me ownership of the boards.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 02-18-2004 09:07:33 PM
Oh no no, not for me... for Delidgamond.
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 02-18-2004 09:09:03 PM
Delidgamond seems pretty happy. Why would he commit suicide?
Blindy
posted 02-18-2004 09:09:05 PM
quote:
When Drysart says stuff like this, it proves there isn't a god:
Oh no no, not for me... for Delidgamond.

The canadian is too stupid to hang himself. You fool no one.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 02-18-2004 09:09:34 PM
oh.. okay then.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 02-18-2004 09:09:50 PM
quote:
A_Blindy_005 tried to impress everyone with:
The canadian is too stupid to hang himself. You fool no one.

That's why he'd need help, duh.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 02-18-2004 09:11:39 PM
Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Dr Cysa
Angsty Mcangst
posted 02-18-2004 09:12:23 PM
quote:
From the book of Drysart, chapter 3, verse 16:
That's why he'd need help, duh.

thats assisted suicide, and there have been successful prosecutions of that.

I don't discriminate...I hate everyone.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 02-18-2004 09:13:18 PM
WHY suicide is a crime, I don't know.. I mean, if you took the time to throw yourself off a building (And not, like, hit anyone or anything), then why should they bother to stop you?
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 02-18-2004 09:14:08 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
WHY suicide is a crime, I don't know.. I mean, if you took the time to throw yourself off a building (And not, like, hit anyone or anything), then why should they bother to stop you?

It makes an awful mess.

Blindy
posted 02-18-2004 09:14:30 PM
It would be funny if the penalty for attempted suiside was lethal injection.

I bet it is in texas.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 02-18-2004 09:16:50 PM
quote:
A_Blindy_005's account was hax0red to write:
It would be funny if the penalty for attempted suiside was lethal injection.

I bet it is in texas.

We had a chick call the cops here in Vegas because her boyfriend was trying to commit suicide. So they show up at his apartment, and then they surround it. He refuses to come out. Finally he comes out, but with a gun. One of the cops shoots the guy and kills him.

Assisted suicide?

Blindy
posted 02-18-2004 09:22:11 PM
suicide by cop. not that uncommon. hell on the police force.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-18-2004 09:25:51 PM
Suicide is the only crime for which you can't be punished.

If you're successful, you're dead. If you're unsuccessful they put you in the funny farm (but I don't think they acctually prosecute you for it..)

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 02-18-2004 10:03:41 PM
Yep.

Going out by a cop killing them is apparently common enouph(in terms of suicide percentages) that they use it in cop drama's and movies like phonebooth.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
&nbsp;
can you please fix my title
posted 02-18-2004 10:20:46 PM
suicide is illegal so that there is recourse to intervene in sick persons lives who despartly need it.

also their are those who hesitate to commit suicide jsut becuse its illegal, many insurance polices have a clause where they wont pay out of will pay out at a reduced amount if suicide is the determined cause of death.

suicide is never the answer but man there are moments when it sure seems like it is. many people who attempt it will do so again and repeat til eventualy they are successful. nothing more depressing to realize that you screwed that up too.

when I look back its not funny

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 02-18-2004 10:29:06 PM
Suicide is also a form of modern natural selection, in my opinion. With no predators to remove them, the weaker people remove themselves.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 02-18-2004 10:30:28 PM
quote:
King Parcelan Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Suicide is also a form of modern natural selection, in my opinion. With no predators to remove them, the weaker people remove themselves.

It's suprising how similar we think on philisophical terms, Parce.

Ares
posted 02-18-2004 10:31:05 PM
quote:
King Parcelan had this to say about Optimus Prime:

Cleaning the gene pool.

You beat me to it Parce.

Suddar
posted 02-18-2004 10:32:00 PM
As blunt as Parcelan is being, he kinda has a point. In the wild, if something really got you down, well...you don't really have a chance to mope about it, because there's a lion on your ass or something, and he's hungry.
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 02-18-2004 10:34:19 PM
True superiority comes not from placing yourself above the animals, but realizing you are one of them. Embrace nature and obtain enlightenment.
&nbsp;
can you please fix my title
posted 02-18-2004 10:38:53 PM
quote:
King Parcelan had this to say about Tron:
True superiority comes not from placing yourself above the animals, but realizing you are one of them. Embrace nature and obtain enlightenment.

I am a cat meow, may I chew on your depressed buttocks? for I am hungry. woah cat nip rocks

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 02-18-2004 10:39:37 PM
quote:
Somthor had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
I am a cat meow, may I chew on your depressed buttocks? for I am hungry. woah cat nip rocks

Yeah okay

Ares
posted 02-18-2004 10:45:43 PM
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 02-18-2004 11:25:19 PM
Actually, when my college roommate hung himself in our shower, I sometimes wished there was a way to bring him back for prosecution so I could beat his ass.
Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 02-18-2004 11:30:50 PM
quote:
Gydyon stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Actually, when my college roommate hung himself in our shower, I sometimes wished there was a way to bring him back for prosecution so I could beat his ass.

Ugh dear gods that's horrible...

My uncle found his brother in my grandma's house while she was in the hospital, after he took a shotgun to his head...

Can't ever imagine walking in on seeing someone after they commited suicide...

Maradon!
posted 02-19-2004 01:00:46 AM
Suicide is cowardly, stupid, and selfish.

All due respect to those who've lost loved ones to it, but it's an act of utter weakness.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 02-19-2004 02:07:05 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived King Parcelan stammered:
It makes an awful mess.

So they should be prosecuted under the littering statues then?

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 02-19-2004 02:20:37 AM
I'm one of those hideously depressed frequently suicidal people (like, since you didn't know already), so speaking from that perspective: what you said about suicide being cowardly and whatnot is probably right, but it doesn't help one bit when you're actually faced with a suicidal person. Telling someone with a gun to their temple not to do it because it's cowardly will not stop 'em. If anything, it'll push them on: now they're a coward on top of everything else. If you dont' care, eh. I'm definitely not the person to advocate non-apathy. But often enough I've done something stupid because someone said something that, intented or not, made me dislike myself more, and I shudder to think of what'd happen if someone said something like that in those key times where I felt like crap enough to lob myself off a bridge.

So, in the end: I maintain distance until it happens to me; I'm dispassionate until it's someone I know; I treat death with levity, which I believe is one of the few sane reactions to it.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 02-19-2004 02:29:53 AM
quote:
This one time, at Neeecole camp:
Telling someone with a gun to their temple not to do it because it's cowardly will not stop 'em. If anything, it'll push them on

By jove I think she's got it!

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 02-19-2004 02:53:13 AM
The secret is to not convince them not to do it. Just kinda treat it as something perfectly natural, even offer some advice on how to do it more effectivly.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Maradon!
posted 02-19-2004 02:58:30 AM
Honestly, nobody I care about is stupid enough to try it, and the people who are I really don't care about.

Regarding suicide as cowardice doesn't help the suicidal, but why would you want to help the suicidal?

[ 02-19-2004: Message edited by: Maradon the Dumbleton ]

Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 02-19-2004 08:45:23 AM
quote:
Maradon the Dumbleton had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Honestly, nobody I care about is stupid enough to try it, and the people who are I really don't care about.

Regarding suicide as cowardice doesn't help the suicidal, but why would you want to help the suicidal?

My roommate wasn't stupid, obviously. But I'm sure those who've known folks who have committed suicide appreciate your opinion. And it's good that you're able to easily categorize it into cowardice with admittedly no experience whatsoever on the topic.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Star Collective
Pancake
posted 02-19-2004 11:20:46 AM
quote:
Gydyon had this to say about Robocop:
My roommate wasn't stupid, obviously. But I'm sure those who've known folks who have committed suicide appreciate your opinion. And it's good that you're able to easily categorize it into cowardice with admittedly no experience whatsoever on the topic.

Suicide is selfish. End of story. Only a complete asshole would do that to their loved ones. Think of other people instead of yourself. My 2 cents.

The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. - Ursula K. LeGuin ~ The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 02-19-2004 11:45:26 AM
From Suicide ... Read This First
quote:
“Suicide is not chosen; it happens when pain exceeds resources for coping with pain.”

From the Psychological Self-Help online book

quote:
Suicidal people want out of their misery. They want a solution, but at the moment, they can't think of any other way out. Only an estimated 5% to 20% definitely or completely intend to die; yet, many are willing to run the risk of death. They yearn to be rescued. These cries for help are telling others they are upset and hurting, that they need care and love. If you hear such cries (comments, hints, questions, and jokes included), listen and show your concern immediately. You don't have to solve all their problems; just a little help--a little relief from the pain--may save a life (Shneidman, 1985).

It is selfish not to help someone considering suicide. All you have to do is listen. Thoughts of suicide are transient, temporary; they do pass if allowed time and distance from the original source of the pain or hurt.

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Gydyon
posted 02-19-2004 11:52:48 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Star Collective was all like:
Suicide is selfish. End of story. Only a complete asshole would do that to their loved ones. Think of other people instead of yourself. My 2 cents.

My 2 cents: you're wrong on this, but I doubt it's intentional.

While certainly many suicides are selfish (or a result of cowardice), to throw a blanket over every suicide is asinine. Which was the point I was raising with Maradon.

For example, some suicides are the clear result of chemical imbalances due to overmedication in the "Prozac era" (such as my rommate, as all evidence from the circumstances of his death suggests). Some suicides are due to mental illnesses such as schizophrenia. Would you call people who are not in their right mind and incapable of making a rational decision selfish or a coward?

My point is not that selfisness and cowardice can't play a factor, but that they are not the only factor.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: