EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Question on Driving Courtesy
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 02-10-2004 10:30:10 AM
Do you let oncoming traffic know if there is a speed trap coming up? Why or why not? If you do, how do you communicate it? By flashing your headlights?
Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 02-10-2004 10:33:19 AM
Flash my headlights some times. Ususally won't if the other side seems to be going speed limit, etc.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 02-10-2004 10:41:49 AM
I don't warn anyone.
If they speed, they deserve to be fined.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Maradon!
posted 02-10-2004 10:46:04 AM
I warn everyone.

Because I know I speed and I don't like to be fined.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 02-10-2004 10:46:31 AM
Only if they are driving on the wrong side of the road. This happens a lot on my street becuase the yellow line is poorly marked, or the potholes are just so bad it's not worth driving on the right side of the road until there's oncoming traffic.

it's roomered that there's a gang initation where people pull you out of your cars and beat you if you flash them when their lights are off here, but i'm pretty sure that's just a roomer.

edit: Also, if i'm on the highway and it looks like someone's nodding off (they start drifting) i'll flash them.

Unless someone's dangerous i don't want to make the cop mad at me by warning a potnetial addition to his quota.

[ 02-10-2004: Message edited by: diadem ]

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul

can you please fix my title
posted 02-10-2004 10:55:12 AM
Yeah but no one seems to rember what that means. I also drive in the far left lane of the interstate the limit is 70mph i do 80mph and refuse to move over unless you blip your brights at me. then Ill move to the right and allow you to continue.

tailgating me only will make me take my foot off the petal until i'm down to 70.

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 02-10-2004 10:59:14 AM
I usually warn with the headlights, as I usually speed myself.

If I don't watch my speed, my car naturally drifts towards cruising at 80Mph, which can be a problem in a speed trap.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 02-10-2004 11:24:41 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Maradon the Dumbleton wrote:
I warn everyone.

Because I know I speed and I don't like to be fined.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-10-2004 11:27:31 AM
I warn for speed traps and deer, even though I don't typically speed enough to get pulled over and I've never hit a deer.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Razor
posted 02-10-2004 01:02:22 PM
I do it on occasion, not on a major road, mainly on the smaller streets, and I do it out of sight of the cop seeing as it's illegal to do so. But I do have the advantage of Daytime Running lights so it's a little easier to get away with seeing as my turn signal and high beams are all on the same stick.
Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Peter
Pancake
posted 02-10-2004 02:13:11 PM
I don't warn, But anyone tha gets caught by our speed traps deserve it.
Maradon!
posted 02-10-2004 02:18:35 PM
It wasn't as apparent up in PA where driving over 40 anywhere was near suicidal due to the vast network of stop signs, sharp turns, lights, and intermittent traffic, but down here in SC you really beging to see that speed limits were designed around the reaction time of the lowest common denominator.

Saint Andrews Rd. has a speed limit of 40 down the entire stretch, but it's practically a drag racing strip with only a few lights, all of which you can see coming from miles off.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 02-10-2004 02:34:51 PM
I flashed my lights at this one bish, but she apparently got the wrong idea and flipped me off so I ran her car over, stole her money, and spent it all on cookies. I even gave one to the policeguy at the speedtrap because I am so nice ^.^
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 02-10-2004 02:36:05 PM
quote:
Led had this to say about Duck Tales:
I flashed my lights at this one bish, but she apparently got the wrong idea and flipped me off so I ran her car over, stole her money, and spent it all on cookies. I even gave one to the policeguy at the speedtrap because I am so nice ^.^

Cookies!

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-10-2004 02:51:12 PM
quote:
Somthor enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Yeah but no one seems to rember what that means. I also drive in the far left lane of the interstate the limit is 70mph i do 80mph and refuse to move over unless you blip your brights at me. then Ill move to the right and allow you to continue.

tailgating me only will make me take my foot off the petal until i'm down to 70.

Yet more proof you're an idiot.

It's people like you who cause traffic congestion.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

posted 02-10-2004 03:12:24 PM
posted limit is 70 if im doing 70 i should have to move over in the first place. the fact im doing 80 and wont pull over unless they blip thier high beams doenst make me a idiot.

makes me stubborn.

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
diadem
eet bugz
posted 02-10-2004 03:13:59 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Knight Rider:
Yet more proof you're an idiot.

It's people like you who cause traffic congestion.

I think he just phrased it poorly. He says he drives eighty miles an hour. If someone tailgates him, he slows down to seventy. There is no reason to drive faster than eighty if you aren't an emergency veichle in the US. If he wasn't going that fast in the first place, I'd agree with your statement.

edit: Sorry, my bad, I was thinking local speed limits - highway is 50 around here. So 80 its quite a bit above already... I'm similar in that i refuse to do 90 just becuase some jackass tailgates me within inches - that's 40 miles an hour over the speed limit. More importantly, the police start getting real pissed after 80. That's the magic number around here.

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 02-10-2004 03:15:40 PM
You know, if a semi was riding my ass, I'd get the hell over, high beams or not.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-10-2004 03:36:34 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Somthor wrote:
posted limit is 70 if im doing 70 i should have to move over in the first place. the fact im doing 80 and wont pull over unless they blip thier high beams doenst make me a idiot.

makes me stubborn.

No, it makes you a one-person traffic jam. There's absofuckinglutely no reason to drive in the left lane unless in the process of passing someone, and there's certainly no reason not to move over to let someone pass you. A good driver would have enough situational awareness to see someone catching them up, and move over without waiting to be flashed.

Suddar
posted 02-10-2004 03:38:29 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Gikk said this:
You know, if a semi was riding my ass, I'd get the hell over, high beams or not.

Are semis allowed to drive in the left lane? I know that, at least in Maine, it's totally illegal for them to even think about taking the left lane.

posted 02-10-2004 03:40:13 PM
you dont drive down here, the right lane is full of cars going less than the posted limit gnearly speaking its only a 2 lane highway.

now im not changing lanes every other minute or so to let someone who's going 20 miles over the limit pass me.

thats unsafe driving. in a perfect world yeah Id use the left lane for passing only. but we dont live in that world

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-10-2004 03:44:26 PM
quote:
Somthor had this to say about dark elf butts:
you dont drive down here, the right lane is full of cars going less than the posted limit gnearly speaking its only a 2 lane highway.

now im not changing lanes every other minute or so to let someone who's going 20 miles over the limit pass me.

thats unsafe driving. in a perfect world yeah Id use the left lane for passing only. but we dont live in that world

So what I said stands; you're an unrepentant, one-person traffic jam too arrogant to move out of the way for faster traffic.

Thanks for playing.

Skaw
posted 02-10-2004 03:44:50 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Somthor!
in a perfect world

Incoming "You wouldn't exist" "You wouldn't be a moron" "You'd have a brain" comments.

quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Pirotess:
So what I said stands; you're an unrepentant, one-person traffic jam too arrogant to move out of the way for faster traffic.

Thanks for playing.

And what with the tapping the breaks cause they're tailgating, he becomes a potential accident.

[ 02-10-2004: Message edited by: Skaw ]

Skaw
posted 02-10-2004 03:47:47 PM
Oh, and how would your insurance like if you were in an accident on the highway for tapping your breaks?

[ 02-10-2004: Message edited by: Skaw ]

posted 02-10-2004 03:49:44 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Optimus Prime:

Thanks for playing.

/shrug so be it then.

incidently 80+ is the magic number around here too.

posted 02-10-2004 03:51:25 PM
quote:
Skaw got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
And what with the tapping the breaks cause they're tailgating, he becomes a potential accident.

i never said I did that I jsut said I slow down. I take my foot off the accelerator.

Im not looking to get in a accident I just want the guy to pass me and I give him more room to do so when I slow down and a incentive as well.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-10-2004 03:56:09 PM
quote:
Somthor had this to say about John Romero:
i never said I did that I jsut said I slow down. I take my foot off the accelerator.

Im not looking to get in a accident I just want the guy to pass me and I give him more room to do so when I slow down and a incentive as well.

No.

Moving over gives him room to pass. Slowing down creates a dangerous situation.

posted 02-10-2004 04:11:30 PM
just email me bloodsage we will talk about it ok?

Somthor_loves@bloodsage.com

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 02-10-2004 04:18:56 PM
... you've got to be kidding.

And you are making a roadblock. Let's say person A is behind you, and doesn't know the magic 'flash his headlights' password. He wants to get around you, so he can move back into the right lane, in front of the 'oh so slow cars'.

And... the person behind him, and the person behind him are all trying to get in front of the cars. So they can drive in the right lane. Like they are supposed to.

Don't you see the problem?

posted 02-10-2004 04:23:16 PM
quote:
Gikk impressed everyone with:
... you've got to be kidding.

And you are making a roadblock. Let's say person A is behind you, and doesn't know the magic 'flash his headlights' password. He wants to get around you, so he can move back into the right lane, in front of the 'oh so slow cars'.

And... the person behind him, and the person behind him are all trying to get in front of the cars. So they can drive in the right lane. Like they are supposed to.

Don't you see the problem?

if its more than a 2 cars I move over any way. I wont for the single car whos speeding. he can just pass to the right sooner or latter.

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 02-10-2004 04:26:40 PM
.... You know, people often speed up to get around cars.

Also, you are an accident waiting to happen.

let's say you CAN'T get over because there's cars in the right lane (as you have stated they are full of cars, etcetc), and an emergency vehicle is coming behind you. What are you going to do? A lot of time, there is little to no shoulder on the left.

You can't police speeders - hell, you seem all holier then though on them - after stating you ARE one.

You are no better then they - in fact, you are worse because you won't let people pass you.

The left lane is the PASSING LANE. not the driving lane. Period.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 02-10-2004 04:31:08 PM
You guys are forgetting an essential fact. In Somthor's mind, he's the only person in the world who matters. The rest of us are just here for his amusement. So if he decides he's not going to pull over to let faster traffic pass, well, that's how it is.
Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server

posted 02-10-2004 04:34:15 PM
yep you got it. now dance for me, I'm bored dance I say.
Talonus
Loner
posted 02-10-2004 04:57:58 PM
Know what's the odd thing here? I agree with Somthor in part. If someone's doing 80 in the left lane, there's NO reason you should be passing them, unless you're an emergency vehicle. What reason could you have that would create the need to go faster than that on a 55-65mph highway? While I don't agree with the slowing down, as that's even more dangerous, there's no reason he should switch lanes for them.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 02-10-2004 04:58:24 PM
i never knew speed limits in the us went over 70.... let alone with only two lanes. is this common?

edit: in my defense, around here, double the speed limit or 30mph over is considered wreckless endagerment.. that's NOT something you wanna fuck with... .

s, is this only people who tailgate you close, or anyone who stays reasonably behind you and wants to pass?

if it is, it seems he's only being an asshole to soemone who's an asshole. the fact he has only two lanes sucks, but people should back off. if he slows down slowly, it should be obvious what's going on.

if someone else is going 85 behind him and slows down two car lengths behind him to his speed, then he's being an asshole for not letting the guy pass

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 02-10-2004 06:01:26 PM
For a while, in parts of Wyoming or Montana, the daylight speed limit was "your discretion". They probably dialed thta back, since I'm sure at least a few folks were flying down the road, driving the speed of stupid.

And hell, try driving on I-15 through Vegas sometimes. If it's not a parking due to traffic, I can do 80 mph IN TOWN and get my doors blown off by people passing me. Hell, people go 60 mph on some of the bigger streets here if conditions allow.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
diadem
eet bugz
posted 02-10-2004 06:05:48 PM
correction - i know it's trival, but i like keeping my facts straight.. i stated speed limits around here are 50. this is incorrect. they are 55.
Kermitov
Pancake
posted 02-10-2004 06:27:19 PM
I-10 through Arizona is posted 75

I've seen at least one 80 sign... though I can't remember where.

and I'm already speeding, if you want to be racer ricky I'll make it more accurate for your driving pleasure by making you go around me*

*note that I said I'm already speeding, if I'm slow traffic I move over.

Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
I've had a few beers but I'm cool to drive
posted 02-10-2004 06:37:15 PM
egads! Another arguement with Somthor?!
'But if I had a shotgun you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heavan on down for you'

Bradley Nowell
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 02-10-2004 06:46:48 PM
quote:
Kermitov had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
I-10 through Arizona is posted 75

I've seen at least one 80 sign... though I can't remember where.

and I'm already speeding, if you want to be racer ricky I'll make it more accurate for your driving pleasure by making you go around me*

*note that I said I'm already speeding, if I'm slow traffic I move over.

I-10 gets dialed back to about 65 or 55 in the Pheonix sprawl, along with all the other highways, but yeah.

I'm fairly certain that 75mph is fastest speed limit in the US, but I'm not certain.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: