EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Something to think about
Mightion Defensor
posted 02-19-2003 01:00:10 AM
There has to be some form of life after death.

If our consciousness ceases at death, how can we ever be aware of anything?

In a similar vein, if you know what you're doing right now, you'll never be afflicted with amnesia.

Think about it.

Nwist, Who?
Nwist
posted 02-19-2003 01:03:04 AM
DELETED!
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 02-19-2003 01:03:21 AM
Your logic is flawed.
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 02-19-2003 01:05:42 AM
...ONO I DAMAGE BRAEN!
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 02-19-2003 01:06:05 AM
I agree. I try to come up with a more detailed explanation, but my brain hurts.
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
ZaÂ’afiel
Coolest Hamster Pimp Ever!
posted 02-19-2003 01:16:18 AM
Why worry about whats after death? You can worry about it when it happens.
"Consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 02-19-2003 01:25:57 AM
Not touching the first one.

The idea that so long as you know what you're doing, you'll never be amnesiac is...cute...but somewhat trite. On one hand you have the obvious idea that if you know what you're doing someplace, it gives you some notion of who you are, but on the other hand it almost sounds like the Varna system from Hindu India. What you do, it states, dictates who you are.

That seems a poor commentary on the human experience. Ant-like castes. What you do is all that you are? No thank you. Part of being a human is striving to be something other than what you are, and the most human things of all are not universally quantifiable (try to find a quantifiable universal value for justice or honor).

Interesting discussion seed. though.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Timpofee
Mancake
posted 02-19-2003 01:41:17 AM
I once read a book.. it was about some Taoist principle or something.. it stated that when the spirit leaves the body..
The soul travels through this huge spiritual machine that calculates all the data that has passed through your life in an attempt to answer a question. It was to be your lifes goal to find the answer before you died.
and The only "Hell" was if you didnt find the answer and go to the "heaven of your desires" that you would be forced back onto the material plane and asked a differant question..
*shrug*
That or you just croak...
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 02-19-2003 01:42:42 AM
It's not like you can be mad if you die and there isn't anything for you. Because you won't exist any more.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Maradon!
posted 02-19-2003 02:39:04 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Blindy McBlinderson said:
It's not like you can be mad if you die and there isn't anything for you. Because you won't exist any more.

As a matter of your opinion.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 02-19-2003 02:51:19 AM
quote:
Mightion Defensor's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
If our consciousness ceases at death, how can we ever be aware of anything?

Because you're conscious before death. Duh.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 02-19-2003 10:16:08 AM
I figure, from a standpoint of a wild yet logic-framed hypothesis, that the most likely "afterlife" is closer to the concept of reincarnation. However, unlike the karma-based reincarnation concepts described in religions, how you behave in life hardly reflects at all on how you are reincarnated. Even being reincarnated within a single being would prove extremely rare.

All through a person's life, his or her thoughts and feelings radiate in a sort of faint energy, which for the sake of the religiously inclined we may call an aura. This aura allows others around the person to sense her emotions or thoughts, if they are naturally inclined to do so. It also causes the emotions of one person to "rub off" on others around her, even if they don't consciously notice her.

When a person dies, all the stored energies of her thoughts and feelings, what people of religious inclination might call her soul, leave her body at a much higher rate. The method and of death determines how quickly these energies leave the body, though under all circumstances they escape more quickly than during the person's life. Anyone around the person at the time of her death picks up remote traces of her escaped soul, with other parts radiating over potentially great distances. Some of the energy gets absorbed by non-living matter, or passes off into space.

Those who pick up pieces of a person's soul may acquire anything from emotions towards other people (specific or in general), to learned or inherited "natural" talents, to specific memories. In each case, the person either dismisses the acquisition as something with which they are more familiar, such as imagination, or (occasionally) credits their acquisition to reincarnation in its religious interpretation.

This is my theory, summarized. I do not claim to ground it entirely (or even predominantly) on proven scientific principles.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-19-2003 10:56:57 AM
When you die, your thought processes cease, and it's like you never were, since absolute certainty is ONLY possible within your own head. None of us can be absolutely certain anything exists outside our own thoughts.

It's a depressing subject: you can either seek comfort in any number of religions, or deal with the fact that when you die, that's it.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 02-19-2003 11:54:03 AM
quote:
Karnaj wrote this stupid crap:
It's a depressing subject: you can either seek comfort in any number of religions, or deal with the fact that when you die, that's it.

Yep, sometimes it's hard to be part of the non-believing part of the population.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Suddar
posted 02-19-2003 12:33:17 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Karnaj stammered:
None of us can be absolutely certain anything exists outside our own thoughts.

But then, how do you know you cease to be when you die?

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say?

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-19-2003 01:08:10 PM
quote:
Suddar stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
But then, how do you know you cease to be when you die?

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say?

I'm just explaining the idea of absolute certainty as it pertains to life, the universe, and everything. The only things I can be absolutely certain of are my own thoughts. I cannot ever be totally sure that you're all not just figments of my imagination and the whole world is just one massive hallucination generated by my mind to keep me entertained.

That said, I, for one, am not about to say that there isn't an objective reality outside of my own self. I'm just saying that no one can ever be totally sure that anything outside their own thoughts.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Canadian Mountee
Rumble Pak+FMV Sequence=FUN!
posted 02-19-2003 01:37:19 PM
Reminds me of Schrodinger's Cat box.

Sorta..

Fuck, I just stopped and thought about that for a moment.. it's a bit disconcerting. (The whole figments of our imaginations thing.)

But if that were possible, someone who is very negative would tend to think negatively, and thus imagine everything negatively. Would that make his imaginary world worse? Or are you saying everyone is given a 'basic' template, and all imagining happens based off of this.

I dunno, I may not be understanding correctly, but shit I'd feel like a smart ass for coming up with all those mathematical/Chemical theories and stuff without realizing it

The World is Yours
Blindy
posted 02-19-2003 03:19:20 PM
quote:
Maradon XP was listening to Cher while typing:
As a matter of your opinion.

I was more saying, that if there isn't an afterlife, you'd never find out, and you wouldn't have a chance to be mad about it. Because if there isn't an afterlife, then you just don't exist anymore.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 02-19-2003 03:29:59 PM
People want to believe entirely too much that we are special and not like every other living thing on this planet
Koosh Man
Pancake
posted 02-19-2003 06:08:50 PM
quote:
Vorago wrote this stupid crap:
People want to believe entirely too much that we are special and not like every other living thing on this planet

We are, though.

Opposable thumbs, bitch.

Maradon!
posted 02-19-2003 06:25:35 PM
quote:
Tarquinn thought about the meaning of life:
Yep, sometimes it's hard to be part of the non-believing part of the population.

And yet in stating that, you are removing yourself from the non-believing population.

The belief that you cease to exist when you die is just that - another belief. Just like any religious belief, it too lacks any logical basis.

[ 02-19-2003: Message edited by: Maradon XP ]

Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 02-19-2003 06:32:45 PM
quote:
Karnaj thought about the meaning of life:
I'm just explaining the idea of absolute certainty as it pertains to life, the universe, and everything. The only things I can be absolutely certain of are my own thoughts. I cannot ever be totally sure that you're all not just figments of my imagination and the whole world is just one massive hallucination generated by my mind to keep me entertained.

That said, I, for one, am not about to say that there isn't an objective reality outside of my own self. I'm just saying that no one can ever be totally sure that anything outside their own thoughts.

So what the bloody hell, enjoy them!

Ties into my personal philosophy that I mercilessly stole from a Circle of Dust song... "live without a doubt". Beleif and imagination are two of the most fun things a person's got, and the two tie together so well you often get double the fun at the same time.

Me, well... personally, I beleive that at the end of all things, it is ourselves who judge us... and it is our thoughts and feelings, our beleifs that guide us into an afterlife, of sorts. This would be better explained if I just let one point go... I beleive there's more than one universe, and that "God" or "the Gods" are nothing more than people who've died before us, their/his/hers/whatever's thoughts shaping and creating this reality. "Life is but a dream", as it were. And us... well, we go where they all went before us, to the space outside space, and make our own worlds. Maybe to visit again.

I have one friend who beleives death is an event horizon... the more you die, the more time slows, and for the rest of the world you bite it, but for you, it goes on forever. People get scary after reading Neuromancer.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Maradon!
posted 02-19-2003 06:43:09 PM
"A living mind cannot concieve of a dead one, though it may think it can."
-"The Gunslinger" by Stephen King

What happens after you die is just one of those things that we can't have any conception of until we are, indeed, dead.

Any more than that is opinion, belief, and pure speculation.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 02-19-2003 06:45:59 PM
I believe that when I lose all kinetic energy, I continue moving.
Maradon!
posted 02-19-2003 06:51:06 PM
quote:
Vorago thought about the meaning of life:

There's another sentient lifeform around?

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-19-2003 06:59:41 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor had this to say:
There has to be some form of life after death.

There is, it's called Undead.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-19-2003 07:22:18 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Maradon XP was all like:
And yet in stating that, you are removing yourself from the non-believing population.

The belief that you cease to exist when you die is just that - another belief. Just like any religious belief, it too lacks any logical basis.

Actually, it's the logical default, because it's the negative position of the issue. There's no evidence for an afterlife, so by Occam's Razor, asserting that there is an afterlife is throwing in unecessary terms, so there isn't one.

Beer.

Ruvie's Alt
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
posted 02-19-2003 07:22:51 PM
quote:
Maradon XP had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
There's another sentient lifeform around?

Animals are sentient. They're just not smart (by human standards).

Maradon!
posted 02-19-2003 07:30:19 PM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Actually, it's the logical default, because it's the negative position of the issue.

On the contrary - saying you cease to exist is drawing a conclusion from no evidence. It is not a logical default because it's an affirmative.

"I don't know" is a logical default.

And no, animals are not sentient, they are not capable of cognitive thought. They are only capable of being trained to mimic the actions of a being with cognitive thougt.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-19-2003 07:39:10 PM
quote:
Maradon XP had this to say about Knight Rider:
On the contrary - saying you cease to exist is drawing a conclusion from no evidence. It is not a logical default because it's an affirmative.

"I don't know" is a logical default.

You're trying to mire the argument in semantics. Asserting that something "is" --in our case, that there is life after death-- is the affirmative. What follows is the logical conclusion that, because there's no evidence for it, there isn't one.

Saying "I don't know" is not committing to the negative or the affirmative, so it's not the logical default.

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 02-19-2003 07:45:45 PM
quote:
So quoth Karnaj:
You're trying to mire the argument in semantics. Asserting that something "is" --in our case, that there is life after death-- is the affirmative. What follows is the logical conclusion that, because there's no evidence for it, there isn't one.

Saying "I don't know" is not committing to the negative or the affirmative, so it's not the logical default.

You're not getting what I'm saying.

Claiming that you cease to exist after death is as much an affirmative as saying that you sprout wings and a halo and play a harp all day.

Neither opinion has any evidence for or against it. Both opinions are pure speculation.

The logical default in a situation where there is absolutely no evidence in any form is that you just don't know.

Blindy
posted 02-19-2003 07:45:51 PM
I don't know if there is an afterlife. I say this because I've been put under for surgery, and in that moment when my brain shut down, I was aware of nothing. quite literally. I remember them telling me to count backwards from 10 and then the next thing I know I'm in recovery. There was no dream, no expirence of slowing returning to reality, there was absolute nothingness.

So I thought to myself- dying is the ultimate "brain shut down" Why should me being drugged be any different than me dying in terms of the expirence?

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-19-2003 08:11:01 PM
quote:
Maradon XP had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
You're not getting what I'm saying.

Claiming that you cease to exist after death is as much an affirmative as saying that you sprout wings and a halo and play a harp all day.

Neither opinion has any evidence for or against it. Both opinions are pure speculation.

The logical default in a situation where there is absolutely no evidence in any form is that you just don't know.

No, I'm getting it. Death isn't somehow exempt from application of logical principles. Observe:

There's absolutely no evidence for any sort of life after death. So, since there's no evidence for one, what's left? An abscence of an afterlife, or no afterlife, is what's left, and that is indeed the default position. Simply saying "I don't know" doesn't address any issue at all, and isn't a default position in any venue.

It works the same way for any issue. Let's say you and I are standing in a room with a table behind us, which both of us have never seen before. I say, "There's a cookie on the table." You say, "There's no cookie on the table." It's up to me to show you evidence to support my assertion. Until I do so, you're correct in assuming there's no cookie on the table.

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 02-19-2003 08:13:45 PM
Occham's Razor is a fine analytical principle for deriving a conclusion from incomplete evidence, but it doesn't create probability in lieu of any evidence.

You can't use an analytical principle on nothing. You can say "I believe it's most likely that we cease to exist after we die." but what information is that based upon?

We know nothing about being dead.

Occham's Razor goes like this: "One should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything."

But what are we explaining? There is no evidence or situation to be explained. Occham's Razor doesn't even apply.

Maradon!
posted 02-19-2003 08:19:19 PM
quote:
Karnaj said this about your mom:
It works the same way for any issue. Let's say you and I are standing in a room with a table behind us, which both of us have never seen before. I say, "There's a cookie on the table." You say, "There's no cookie on the table." It's up to me to show you evidence to support my assertion. Until I do so, you're correct in assuming there's no cookie on the table.

In this situation, though, we have no evidence that either tables or cookies exist.

You are saying "I believe that nowhere in the universe exists a thing I would call a cookie on a thing I would call a table."

Take special note that the definitions of "cookie" and "table" are completely arbitrary.

The opposite would be "I believe that there is a thing I'd like to call a cookie on a thing I'd like to call a table, somewhere in the universe."

Who is logically right? You don't know - there is no question being posed to be answered. It doesn't solve any issues because there is no issue.

[ 02-19-2003: Message edited by: Maradon XP ]

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-19-2003 08:30:20 PM
And because we know nothing about being dead other than the observed phenomona, we must assume, by default, that nothing, save decomposition, happens after someone kicks off.

EDIT: didn't see your other post, I will address it after my class.

[ 02-19-2003: Message edited by: Karnaj ]

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 02-19-2003 08:48:05 PM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about Knight Rider:
And because we know nothing about being dead other than the observed phenomona, we must assume, by default, that nothing, save decomposition, happens after someone kicks off.

Right, including the cessation of our existence.

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 02-19-2003 09:57:46 PM
Look what you've started Mightion.

oh btw, 42.

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-19-2003 10:02:13 PM
As a famous poet once said:

"There are more things in heaven and Earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-19-2003 10:08:55 PM
quote:
Maradon XP stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
In this situation, though, we have no evidence that either tables or cookies exist.

You are saying "I believe that nowhere in the universe exists a thing I would call a cookie on a thing I would call a table."

Take special note that the definitions of "cookie" and "table" are completely arbitrary.

The opposite would be "I believe that there is a thing I'd like to call a cookie on a thing I'd like to call a table, somewhere in the universe."

Who is logically right? You don't know - there is no question being posed to be answered. It doesn't solve any issues because there is no issue.

You're absolutely right; my analogy was flawed.

Forget the table, we're back in a room, facing the same way. In front of us is a black box; this represents death. We can observe it, but can in no way otherwise probe it for information. I say, "There's a cookie inside that box." You say, "You're just pulling shit out of your ass. There's no evidence to support your claim. There's no cookie in that box."

Note, I never used the word 'believe'. As I've said, like, a bajillion times, it is impossible to objectively qualify someone's beliefs as correct or not. If I say, "I believe that a cookie is inside of that box," you'd probably just say, "that's great, Karnaj," and go have a beer. And so would I. The point is, however, I attempted to make a qualified statement with no evidence at all. In the abscence of such evidence, you have no reason to accept my statement as true. Because of this, you are correct in asserting the negative until such time as evidence to support my statement can be given.

Beer.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: