EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: OMG it's so huge!
Maradon!
posted 01-13-2003 12:05:13 AM
Bought an X-Box today, and whaddya know, it really IS huge.

Things I REALLY like about the system:

• Graphics. So far I have Splinter Cell and Halo (and Jetset Radio Future and Sega GT2002, which came with the system), and the graphics and effects are not only superior to the PS2 and GC, but the average frame rates are as well.

• The emergency-release latch on the controller cords. I can't TELL you how much I like this.

• Hard drive and built in ethernet r0x.

• IT'S SO HUGE LOL!!

A couple questions I have, though:

1) Can I just snap in an ethernet cable and get this thing on the internet? Or do I NEED to buy an X-Box Live kit? How much are they?

2) The box and the guy at EB said the X-Box supported full surround sound and S-Video. All I got were the standard red/white/yellow RCA cables. Do I just need a new cable to hook it up to my surround sound speakers? How's this work?

• Il Buono
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
    posted 01-13-2003 12:08:09 AM
    quote:
    This insanity brought to you by Maradon XP:
    Do I just need a new cable to hook it up to my surround sound speakers? How's this work?

You either need a receiver ($$$) or just a normal computer surround sound system. You need some way to give the speakers power.

If you get a receiver, it should have everything you need.
    If you go with a computer surround sound system (I did), you'll only need a cheap little converter from RadioShack.

[Edit]
    I use this one, it's nice, cheap, and came with the neccessary cables.

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: D ]

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
    Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
    I posted in a title changing thread.
    posted 01-13-2003 12:09:26 AM
    emergency release on the cords? Uhm...why? am I missing something here?
    Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
    "All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
    *Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Il Buono
    posted 01-13-2003 12:10:06 AM
    quote:
    Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:

So someone doesn't trip over the controller wire and pull the whole console to a sparky doom.

Oh shi...
    what
    posted 01-13-2003 12:10:39 AM

1. Can I just snap in an ethernet cable and get this thing on the internet? Or do I NEED to buy an X-Box Live kit? How much are they?

You MUST buy a starter kit. They go for 69.99 Canadian so I am guessing $49.99 American.

[list=2]

• The box and the guy at EB said the X-Box supported full surround sound and S-Video. All I got were the standard red/white/yellow RCA cables. Do I just need a new cable to hook it up to my surround sound speakers? How's this work?
    [/list]

Don't take my word for this one since I've never done it. Pretty sure you need different cables so you can hook up all your speakers into the "yellow" cable (I think yellow is audio) to plug into the back of your TV.

• Drysart
    Pancake
    posted 01-13-2003 12:11:01 AM
    quote:
    D had this to say about Punky Brewster:
    So someone doesn't trip over the controller wire and pull the whole console to a sparky doom.

All the more important since a falling XBox could seriously injure someone.

Steven Steve
    posted 01-13-2003 12:11:14 AM
    quote:
    Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael's account was hax0red to write:

There's a release close to the plug in of the cords that will separate if something pulls on it.

You'll need an s-video cable to get it on s-video.

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
    - Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
    - Silvast, Battle.net forums

Demos
    Pancake
    posted 01-13-2003 12:11:18 AM
    quote:
    Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael's account was hax0red to write:

Probably the plug in the cord a few inches out from the console. Makes untangling cords very easy.

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
    Il Buono
    posted 01-13-2003 12:11:53 AM
    quote:
    Drysart had this to say about Cuba:
    All the more important since a falling XBox could seriously injure someone.

If you sit as close to the TV/console as I do, it could break your fucking legs right off.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
    posted 01-13-2003 12:13:30 AM
    X-box falling? Okay that's an emergency. Go right through your floor.

Tangling your cords is not an emergency. tripping on a cord? Any time that's ever happened (not often, to be honest) they just pop out of the console anyway.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Demos
    Pancake
    posted 01-13-2003 12:13:46 AM
    If X-Box falls on the earth....it could be Second Impact!
    "Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
    Peter
    Pancake
    posted 01-13-2003 12:21:47 AM
    quote:
    ¤Delidgamond¤ had this to say about Pirotess:

Don't take my word for this one since I've never done it. Pretty sure you need different cables so you can hook up all your speakers into the "yellow" cable (I think yellow is audio) to plug into the back of your TV.

Yellow is the Video line, Red is the right channel, and White is the Left. Unless you see more than those audio lines some out the back, you wil need to connect it to a reciver capable of useing the Surrond sound format. Most newer steros, and top of the line tvs will do this. IMHO, The S-video had little effect on the picture unless you have a high-end Tv/Monitor , or a HDTV.

nem-x
    posted 01-13-2003 12:24:51 AM
    I bough an x-box yesterday. I was untangling the cord and thought I snapped the wire off.
    Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
    posted 01-13-2003 12:28:34 AM
    quote:
    nem-x probably says this to all the girls:
    I bough an x-box yesterday. I was untangling the cord and thought I snapped the wire off.

cripes what are you guys doing!? jump rope?

nem-x
    posted 01-13-2003 12:31:07 AM
    Usually I roll around the room with my chair from the computer to the tv. Cords get caught up under the wheels and lol pull the system is down.
    Reverand Del
    Pancake
    posted 01-13-2003 12:37:42 AM
    quote:
    Maradon XP had this to say about (_|_):
    1) Can I just snap in an ethernet cable and get this thing on the internet? Or do I NEED to buy an X-Box Live kit? How much are they?

Need an X-Box Live kit, $49.99. You get the mic and a disk to load xbox live into your Xbox, also a cheap game I think(some motorbike game). I'm pretty sure after your one free year your have to pay monthly or yearly but I have yet to find out how much.

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: Reverand Del ]

Maradon!
    posted 01-13-2003 12:43:11 AM
    Ok, this is pissing me off.

I'm trying to play Splinter Cell, and the FMV's lock up.

Oh the rest of the game is fine, and I can just push a button and skip the FMV, but I want to SEE the FMV's.

WTF? Did I get a bad copy of the game?

Steven Steve
    posted 01-13-2003 12:44:53 AM
    No, you got a copy of a bad...

nevermind

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
    - Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
    - Silvast, Battle.net forums

Maradon!
    posted 01-13-2003 12:46:51 AM
    quote:
    Peter wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
    Unless you see more than those audio lines some out the back, you wil need to connect it to a reciver capable of useing the Surrond sound format.

Ok, here's what I have:

• A five speaker surround sound setup. Input is separated into Front and Rear, and the input jacks are two little headphone thingies that currently plug into my sound card.

• An X-Box cord with yellow video, red right channel, and white left channel.

What gives?

• Naimah
    In a Fire
    posted 01-13-2003 12:46:58 AM
    quote:
    Peter's account was hax0red to write:
    Yellow is the Video line, Red is the right channel, and White is the Left. Unless you see more than those audio lines some out the back, you wil need to connect it to a reciver capable of useing the Surrond sound format. Most newer steros, and top of the line tvs will do this. IMHO, The S-video had little effect on the picture unless you have a high-end Tv/Monitor , or a HDTV.

Unless you have a good TV then Red, Green, and Blue are video and Red and White are the audio.

nem-x
    posted 01-13-2003 12:49:03 AM
    quote:
    Check out the big brain on Maradon XP!
    Ok, this is pissing me off.

I'm trying to play Splinter Cell, and the FMV's lock up.

Oh the rest of the game is fine, and I can just push a button and skip the FMV, but I want to SEE the FMV's.

WTF? Did I get a bad copy of the game?

Yep. I haven't gotten any freezes yet. The x-box controller buttons doesn't have the same sensitivity as the ps2 though. Sometimes you have to press them hard to get a command through.

Reverand Del
    Pancake
    posted 01-13-2003 12:51:05 AM
    I doubt you have a bad disc. I've heard of MANY MANY troubles with bad save files though, if nothing works either delete the save file or ask me and I'll tell you the FMV (up until CIA mission).
    Maradon!
    posted 01-13-2003 12:51:21 AM
    quote:
    And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Naimah was all like:
    Unless you have a good TV then Red, Green, and Blue are video

That's only for HDTV

Maradon!
    posted 01-13-2003 12:52:22 AM
    quote:
    Reverand Del had this to say about John Romero:
    I doubt you have a bad disc. I've heard of MANY MANY troubles with bad save files though, if nothing works either delete the save file or ask me and I'll tell you the FMV (up until CIA mission).

I don't even HAVE a save file.

Even the opening thing with the spinning text scrolling up talking about the fifth freedom freezes up after a couple seconds.

Naimah
    In a Fire
    posted 01-13-2003 12:52:35 AM
    As I said if you have a good TV.
    Reverand Del
    Pancake
    posted 01-13-2003 12:54:15 AM
    quote:
    Maradon XP had this to say about Punky Brewster:
    I don't even HAVE a save file.

Even the opening thing with the spinning text scrolling up talking about the fifth freedom freezes up after a couple seconds.

Uh oh spaghettios.

Then iono either exchange or see what people at the SP forums can tell you.
    http://forums.ubi.com/messages/overview.asp?name=splintercell_gd

Densetsu
    NOT DRYSART
    posted 01-13-2003 01:01:39 AM
    quote:
    Reverand Del spewed forth this undeniable truth:
    iono

English, please?
    I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
    Peter
    Pancake
    posted 01-13-2003 01:03:34 AM
    quote:
    Maradon XP stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
    Ok, here's what I have:

• A five speaker surround sound setup. Input is separated into Front and Rear, and the input jacks are two little headphone thingies that currently plug into my sound card.

• An X-Box cord with yellow video, red right channel, and white left channel.

What gives?

• My guess is that the x-Box is set up like standard Electronics, most receivers, dvds, and vcrs use the RCA format as standards, most computers use 1/8 jacks for speakers and stuff. Probably going to have to plug it into a surround sound receiver/stereo to get the surround out of it, like most dvd player support the surround sound formats, but you need a receiver to make use of it.

quote:
    Naimah painfully thought these words up:
    Unless you have a good TV then Red, Green, and Blue are video and Red and White are the audio.

That is Component Video out, same danm thing as the S-video just uses more cables and is on the outs. Yellow is the RCA Video color.

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: Peter ]

Reverand Del
    Pancake
    posted 01-13-2003 01:05:39 AM
    quote:
    Densetsu had this to say about Knight Rider:
    [QUOTE]Reverand Del spewed forth this undeniable truth:
    [qb]iono
    English, please?

Iono = I do not know.

Mightion Defensor
    posted 01-13-2003 01:13:15 AM
    quote:
    Maradon XP had this to say about dark elf butts:
    Bought an X-Box today, and whaddya know, it really IS huge.

Things I REALLY like about the system:

• Graphics. So far I have Splinter Cell and Halo (and Jetset Radio Future and Sega GT2002, which came with the system), and the graphics and effects are not only superior to the PS2 and GC, but the average frame rates are as well.

• Wow... I didn't know all four of those games were available for the Gamecube! I assume your statement only applied to those four Gamecube games; otherwise it might be misinterpreted as making a blanket statement!

So, where did you find the Gamecube versions of those games? I own a Gamecube and I've never seen them in the racks...

Reverand Del
    Pancake
    posted 01-13-2003 01:17:03 AM
    quote:
    Mightion Defensor had this to say about Robocop:
    Wow... I didn't know all four of those games were available for the Gamecube! I assume your statement only applied to those four Gamecube games; otherwise it might be misinterpreted as making a blanket statement!

So, where did you find the Gamecube versions of those games? I own a Gamecube and I've never seen them in the racks...

Splinter Cell proves that Xbox has more mesmorizing graphics compared to GC or PS2 so far.

Delphi Aegis
    Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
    posted 01-13-2003 01:22:22 AM
    quote:
    Nobody really understood why Reverand Del wrote:
    Splinter Cell proves that Xbox has more mesmorizing graphics compared to GC or PS2 so far.

I've seen splinter Cell.

And No it doesn't.

Reverand Del
    Pancake
    posted 01-13-2003 01:24:42 AM
    quote:
    Delphi Aegis obviously shouldn't have said:
    I've seen splinter Cell.

And No it doesn't.

Have you played the whole game through, or even half? If you haven't I don't think you should be making such a direct statement about it.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
    posted 01-13-2003 01:27:02 AM
    PS2 has market penetration at this point. That's it's big benefit. More games. I'd take a PS2 over a NGC or an XBox.

Do I think XBox sucks? or the Cube? Nah. Cube has one or two games I'd like to try, but if Lyinar gets one and I have to beg her to let me play those one or two games on her machine, I won't cry a river. XBox? Eh...No games I can't live without.

To be honest, the graphics thing doesn't bug me. GC and XBox came out what, a year after PS2? Of COURSE the graphics are going to be better. That doesn't mean it's time to retire the PS2. Or neglect the Cube. Some games for Cube or PS2 are, get this, only for those systems. Just comes down to what it always comes down to; which system made you happy in the last conflict? PSX made me (and still makes me) happy, thus it's earned some brand loyalty.

Delphi Aegis
    Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
    posted 01-13-2003 01:27:32 AM
    quote:
    Nobody really understood why Reverand Del wrote:
    Have you played the whole game through, or even half? If you haven't I don't think you should be making such a direct statement about it.

*sigh* I hate arguing with myself.

I've seen most games out for Xbox. Played them, and yes, they are pretty smooth.

Overall, Sony has developer support, and GCN has the ease of developing for the platform. Xbox has neither, nor the trust of the japanese, thus, unless they can come out with a game that you could not port to the PS2 or 'cube, I shall continue to be unimpressed.

Reverand Del
    Pancake
    posted 01-13-2003 01:29:55 AM
    quote:
    From the book of Delphi Aegis, chapter 3, verse 16:
    *sigh* I hate arguing with myself.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
    posted 01-13-2003 01:41:12 AM
    Actually I kinda agree with Delphi on this. He's right about Sony and Cube. I wouldn't buy a game system strictly based on system capabilities, whether it's true or not.

Sega Genesis had more add-ons than the SNES. It had the Sega CD, had the 32x, etc. It was a superior machine to the SNES platform. Which one lasted, though? SNES. Why? More games for the SNES, more customer loyalty, more developers looking to make stuff for it.

So even if the XBox does have superior graphics (and I'm not ceding that point...I played some Oddworld game for the XBox at Best Buy, and some Mario-looking game for the Cube, which is like comparing apples to oranges as far as the look they were going for...and to be honest I thought they both had about equal benefits), it doesn't make it the winner system.

Maradon!
    posted 01-13-2003 01:43:04 AM
    quote:
    Mightion Defensor impressed everyone with:
    otherwise it might be misinterpreted as making a blanket statement!

Actually that would be a blanket statement, applying to all gamecube, PS2, and X-Box games.

Disagree with me? Feel free to.

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: Maradon XP ]

Reverand Del
    Pancake
    posted 01-13-2003 01:44:35 AM
    I was never arguing about games. I was arguing graphics. I buy every system that I can get my greedy hands on that are out on the market, whether I like the games or not.

I would choose Playstation 2 over Xbox anyday for games just because of the far superior selection they have (including the PSX games).

Delphi Aegis
    posted 01-13-2003 01:48:39 AM
    The problem with Xbox is the difficulty in developing for it.

When Nintendo made the 'cube, they didn't go for ubar system specs, (Though they did do well) or anything like that.. They made it so that the developer could easily put a game onto the system. Developers like this. If they have to pay 500 bucks to each programmr they have for them to LEARN the language to program for a system before they can start on the game itself, they tend to not like that.

The PS2 fares well in this regard, simply because there are so MANY games out there, there is so much knowledge to pull from. How do I do X? Call DeveloperX, he might have a hint. Why is it crashing when I do Y? Developer Q had that problem, maybe he can help.

I've seen games that come out cross platform, and frankly, The Xbox versions were left in the dust. I really didn't want to believe it at first, since I knew the average technical specs on each, but there it was.

All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: