EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Cant decide.
Tareshinal
Pancake
posted 11-20-2002 09:16:59 PM
ok I'm thinking about quiting my 40 ranger and starting a monk or a shaman or something like that... and here's the pros and cons in my opinion... if noone would mind posting some advice on if I should keep the Ranger and just stick through the most god awful zone in the world (DL) or if I should change and start some other class than what I mension it'd help me alot.

Ranger (current): Pros- Already Leveled and good gear

cons- Getting boring, hard to level, and cant find groups easy

Monk: Pros- quick leveling, can buy alot of gear, and would be fun unless I totally hated it.

cons- no spells, cant carry much.

Shaman: pros- Would be interesting, gets cool spears, dont need a ton of wis till higher levels, good solo'ers and groupers

cons- slower levelers, sits and meds alot

thats all I can think of right now... thanks for your help.

Dr Cysa
Angsty Mcangst
posted 11-20-2002 09:18:21 PM
Shammy.

Unless you want to have true fun and play Necro!

I don't discriminate...I hate everyone.
Tareshinal
Pancake
posted 11-20-2002 09:23:04 PM
Can you post the pros and cons for the necro? Plz, and what you think the pros and cons are for the shammy unless mine are exactly what you think they should be.
Dr Cysa
Angsty Mcangst
posted 11-20-2002 09:25:58 PM
you got the shammys right

Pros for Necro:
Life drain
good spells at high lev

Cons:
Not easy solo
Tends to get picked on

Note: My everquest experience is minimal, If you want better pro/cons ask like Maradon or someone

adenine!
Closet Republican
posted 11-20-2002 09:39:04 PM
It really depends what your goals are; do you want to get to a higher level or is that not very important? If the former, I would recommend sticking with the ranger and finding a better zone to level in because you're probably going to run into the same problems with a monk or shaman, and having numerous characters will really slow you down if you want to do anything other than play EQ. If you don't really care about getting to a higher level than 40 you might as well try another, or just stop playing for a while.

PS Necros are the best soloers out of all of them listed without serious twinkage.

[ 11-20-2002: Message edited by: adenine! ]

Tareshinal
Pancake
posted 11-20-2002 09:44:21 PM
I've played about 5-10 hours in the last month so I've been taking a break and I do want higher levels but I'm talking about selling the rangers gear to fund a new char... this and I just wanna have fun playing the game if that means I never get above lvl 50 then thats fine, my main goal is to go planer but the problem with the ranger is, I go to DL and sit for an hour at minimum (on a good day) trying to get a group, there really isn't a whole lot I can solo there and then all the other zones I tyr I eiter cant group/solo or are just very crappy exp... so I really want a char that will be group friendly (like the ranger was untill DL then he wasn't), and maybe a char that has solo potensial as well... and I definatly dont really want a sit and med while everyone fights kinda character... just doesn't amuse me, to offset this if the character can solo (like the shaman can) then I'd willingly do a sit med char if I grouped.
adenine!
Closet Republican
posted 11-20-2002 09:49:35 PM
It sounds like you just need to get away from DL. If you don't have a guild with a lot of others around your level, get one. Probably easier said than done, but I really don't think you're going to have much better luck at 40 trying to group or solo with a monk or shaman; soloing with a necro is probably the easiest way to go from 40-50 but I would stick it out as a ranger.
Tareshinal
Pancake
posted 11-20-2002 09:51:57 PM
Hrmm your prolly right but the problem with getting a guild is that the guilds I wanna join or seem to be interesting with people around my lvl are the 46+ raid guilds the other ones I would never want the tag by my name or I just have herd bad things about them... then the one I herd good things about I left cause they were very strict.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 11-20-2002 09:54:38 PM
Shaman. Shamans are the Way.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

»Waisztarroz«
Pancake
posted 11-20-2002 09:55:55 PM
NiteShadow, that sigpic looks really retarded.
I <3 Steel Battalion!
Tareshinal
Pancake
posted 11-20-2002 09:56:19 PM
Are shamans quick to level?

Can they solo past 35ish?

Pros and cons any different than mine?

Dr Cysa
Angsty Mcangst
posted 11-20-2002 09:56:39 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about dark elf butts:
Shaman. Shamans are the Way.

the way of the jedi....shaman!

adenine!
Closet Republican
posted 11-20-2002 10:01:33 PM
quote:
NiteShadow thought about the meaning of life:
Are shamans quick to level?

Can they solo past 35ish?

Pros and cons any different than mine?

I'm no shaman expert but here goes anyway. It depends if you're grouping or soloing. Grouping it will be the same as the others, soloing probably slower than necro and about the same as the monk depending on equipment. They actually solo better post 35 than before relative to the others. The pro/con really depends on what roles you want. In a group you're going to be doing a lot of buffing, slowing, and cannibalizing. Whether you mind or don't mind doing that is a large factor.

[ 11-20-2002: Message edited by: adenine! ]

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 11-20-2002 10:28:19 PM
I can't speak for Vah/Troll/Ogre/Iksar shamans...but my barb shammy was pretty standard levelling til 9 when he got SOW. At that point if you have a magic weapon (especially) you can get to around 13 fast by going someplace like WC to kill wisps via SOW kiting with DOT's, etc. After that it slows down til about 16, at which point you can kite stuff around Oasis if you're mindful of where you're going. Group in Oasis or try Highpass orcs if you get bored of playing with yourself.

Then it kinda slows down on the soloing front from 20ish to around 30ish (least it did for me). 30ish you can pick off Grifennes in NK or solo Tesch Mas gnolls in SK. It's not mad XP, but it's fairly regular. With a friendly Clarity it goes faster.

At 34, I'm told soloing gets easier now that you have the pet, but as I just made 34 last night with my shaman, I haven't had the time to try.

Keep in mind this is just my own ramblings, jaded by a few things. First off, I frickin' hate Kunark if I'm not playing an Iksar. I just get frustrated with having to run through zone after zone after zone of bad things to get to a place to hunt. And the guards always seemed to find me when I did go. Pain in the booty. I like Velious, but haven't had a chance to really get elbows-deep in the levelling there yet.

I just like being a shaman, though. I think it's Zaza who said in another thread that playing a Shaman means that you get to do a little of everything, and that's very appealing. Even if you don't solo every day, I guarantee you'll enjoy most days.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Nwist, Who?
Nwist
posted 11-20-2002 10:30:19 PM
quote:
Nekralt Avaane stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
you got the shammys right

Pros for Necro:
Life drain
good spells at high lev

Cons:
Not easy solo
Tends to get picked on

Note: My everquest experience is minimal, If you want better pro/cons ask like Maradon or someone

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa...

Did you just say necros do not have an easy solo?

They're the easiest single solo, my friend.
And you missed something huge about necro pros; their DoTs.

Tareshinal
Pancake
posted 11-20-2002 10:41:07 PM
The shaman is looking very tempting and what I know about the necro they are both equal contenders... I just need more info on gear and race and that research I will do myself... altough I would like to talk to a lvl 55+ shaman on the boards if we have one.
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 11-20-2002 10:45:18 PM
I VOTES FOR DA SHAMMY!
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 11-20-2002 10:48:51 PM
quote:
NiteShadow had this to say about (_|_):
The shaman is looking very tempting and what I know about the necro they are both equal contenders... I just need more info on gear and race and that research I will do myself... altough I would like to talk to a lvl 55+ shaman on the boards if we have one.

Several knowledgeable shamans. Reynar, I think, is the highest. I forget, though. Toktuk's still in his thirties, but he's a bounty of info too.

Tareshinal
Pancake
posted 11-20-2002 10:49:50 PM
cool thanks.
Rhiannah
WAI!!!
posted 11-20-2002 11:59:08 PM
Best advice I can give is stick with what you know. Playing a drastically different class can be nerve racking to say the least.

Me, I started out a ranger. Did pretty good and got him up to 24. Lost his corpse, got frustrated, and deleted him. ((Sadly this was before I realized there were such things as rezzes...))

I switched to Bard on a fresh server and had fun with him. He's currently 36 and far better off than my ranger ever was. It was challenging because Bards play a lot differently than Rangers, but in the end I've found in many ways the bard better fits my style of play.

I have a strong melee oriented mindset. When I started playing Rhiannah, I learned the hard way several times that Wizards are NOT melee oriented. It takes patience because a lot of soloing amounts to Root, Nuke, med, Nuke, Re-Root if necessary. And the exp can be slow soloing. (Don't let my character info fool you, I've only got her to 14. I just wanted the Sorcerer title. )

I'm an individual. Just like everyone else!

Maradon!
posted 11-21-2002 12:05:08 AM
Necros can solo a few, select areas of some zones better than any other class in the game.

A necro that can't fear kite is little more than a gimped shaman when soloing.

My opinion:

Pros:

• Very easy to solo 1-50
  • Rarity. There's an ego boost associated with surprising people. I still get people in groups who go "WTF! A NECRO HEALED ME?!"
  • Low dependency on gear
  • Minimal downtime, even at high levels
  • One Bad ass motherfucker at level 65

Cons:

• Harder time soloing at higher levels, largely due to near complete lack of fear kiting spaces
  • Duckstick
  • Prevailing twitch-bitch mentality, despite it being proven time and time again that twitching is utterly pointless
  • Lotta creativity involved in being useful to a group
  • The gear you do get is largely ineffectual. Focus items? You either don't need them or they don't apply to you. The ones that you'd like and will actually work on your spells are no-drop or 80kpp

[ 11-21-2002: Message edited by: Maradon XP ]

• Majox
    Pancake
    posted 11-21-2002 12:21:53 AM
    I want you to go into that bag, and find my duckstick. Its the one that says bad motherfucker.
    I just make ideas, I don't make them good. - Me
    Evil
    Pancake
    posted 11-21-2002 12:25:08 AM
    quote:
    Everyone wondered WTF when Majox wrote:
    I want you to go into that bag, and find my duckstick. Its the one that says bad motherfucker.

Frighteningly coincidental completely off topic fact: I just saw that movie for the first time today

Kalladar?
    Pancake
    posted 11-21-2002 05:28:30 AM
    Random Insanity Generator
    Condom Ninja El Supremo
    posted 11-21-2002 11:03:39 AM
    Shamen can solo fairly well past 35 actually. They get their pet at 34 which is a nice DoT (do NOT expect this poor thing to be like a Necro's pet) in addition to your spells, you can slow things pretty well and unlike the other casters in general you can stand up to a bit of a beating while fighting something.

These aspects get a bit better as you level, but post-50 it does get more challenging. Root-Rot becomes your friend, but there's also the shaman's ability to get a group. In PoP zones Shamen are prized above other classes for 1 reason... we slow things the best. Period. Mobs attack too fast un-slowed and do absurd damage. Yard trash in PoN was pegging me for 250+ per hit. Once slowed they're pansies, unslowed they're a nightmare.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
    -----------------------------------
    "That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
    That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
    Reynar
    Oldest Member
    Best Lap
    posted 11-21-2002 11:31:39 AM
    quote:
    Shaman: pros- Would be interesting, gets cool spears, dont need a ton of wis till higher levels, good solo'ers and groupers

cons- slower levelers, sits and meds alot

If you see a shaman sitting to med above level 24, kick them in the head. Shamans have the best mana regen in the game, they never have to sit and med post level 24.

Obviously I'd vote shaman, even at the lower levels you can be doing so much in a group, or still go solo something a lot of other classes wouldn't think about.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
    -Mayer Rothschild
    Zaza
    I don't give a damn.
    posted 11-21-2002 11:39:28 AM
    Cann 1 isn't too much to hooray at for a bit. So should probably be "Sit down to med after 39"
    Random Insanity Generator
    Condom Ninja El Supremo
    posted 11-21-2002 11:54:57 AM
    Unless you're getting C2 or C3 at 24, Can 1 is still faster....
    * NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
    "That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
    That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
    Il Buono
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
    posted 11-21-2002 12:12:11 PM
    quote:
    Random Insanity Generator had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
    Unless you're getting C2 or C3 at 24, Can 1 is still faster....

I was.

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
    Comrade Snoota
    Communist
    Da, Tovarisch!
    posted 11-21-2002 12:53:58 PM
    quote:
    Just Nwist Model 2000 was programmed to say:
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa...

Did you just say necros do not have an easy solo?

They're the easiest single solo, my friend.

Shamans solo the hell out of a Necro.

You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
    /dev/null
    Pancake
    posted 11-21-2002 02:25:43 PM
    quote:
    Check out the big brain on Comrade Snoota!
    Shamans solo the hell out of a Necro.

Yeah, right. What universe are you from again?

Beep. Beep. Beep... Ohh... I think my porridge is done.
    My fellow Americans, as you know, my foreign policy can be summed up in five words: "Iludium-236 Explosive Space Modulator."
    When it comes down to it, searching the web without Google is like straining sewage with your teeth.
    Reynar
    Oldest Member
    Best Lap
    posted 11-21-2002 02:32:30 PM
    quote:
    /dev/null painfully thought these words up:
    Yeah, right. What universe are you from again?

Shamans solo bigger more difficult stuff.
    Necros solo more effeciantly.

Doubt you'll see a necro solo the sebilite protector, or any of the scar dragons in WW =)

-Mayer Rothschild
    /dev/null
    Pancake
    posted 11-21-2002 02:35:18 PM
    Shamen solo better things

Necromancer generally solo safer... fear kiting is just too nice

My fellow Americans, as you know, my foreign policy can be summed up in five words: "Iludium-236 Explosive Space Modulator."
    When it comes down to it, searching the web without Google is like straining sewage with your teeth.
    Reynar
    Oldest Member
    Best Lap
    posted 11-21-2002 02:40:43 PM
    quote:
    /dev/null wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
    Shamen solo better things

Necromancer generally solo safer... fear kiting is just too nice

Yep, tank soloing stuff that hits for 450+ isn't exactly safe. But fun whenever you're bored. Not a good way to get experience though, I stick to groups for that.

-Mayer Rothschild
    /dev/null
    Pancake
    posted 11-21-2002 02:55:56 PM
    Eh.. given that I have a level 53 warrior in my pocket I can tank solo stuff a bit better.

I need to get him some more levels so that I can really start whoopin ass though.

I need to get off my lazy ass if I'm gonna keep playing EQ.. heh

Tareshinal
    Pancake
    posted 11-21-2002 05:04:20 PM
    Well I think I'm going to see about the shaman seems fun, I'll probally get him so low grade gear and then later sell my ranger stuff if I like the shaman. I dont know which race though, the ikky looks good but they dont get the clicky bracer of doom (Jaudice bracer, or whatever the bracer that has Winter's roar on it) other than that I dont have a clue what the other races have to offer
    Beta Tested
    Pancake
    posted 11-21-2002 07:32:20 PM
    You'd prolly be best off to go with the shammy. Stay away from the monk. We can't solo worth a crap anymore, and DL is making my eyes bleed. Only 43.... How the hell can my friend stand to sit there til 49!?!?!
    What's this thing do?
    That would be sooo cool if it wasn't going to hurt us.
    Melphina's Magelo
    Tier
    posted 11-21-2002 07:45:59 PM
    quote:
    Beta Tested had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
    We can't solo worth a crap anymore

::snicker::

Yeah, of course we can't.

Maradon!
    posted 11-21-2002 09:21:03 PM
    quote:
    When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Reynar said:
    Doubt you'll see a necro solo the sebilite protector, or any of the scar dragons in WW =)

You'd be wrong on both counts. At level 63 no less.

And another thing -

Seduction of Saryrn
    1: Changing Appearance Into A Skeleton
    2: Regeneration for 30000 Mana in 600 ticks
    3: DoT for 37800 Hit Points (HP) in 600 ticks

(63hp/50mana)

Cannibalize IV
    1: Decrease Hit Points (HP) by 148 (L58)
    2: Increase Mana from 81 (L58) to 82 (L60)

(74hp/41mana)

I'd say Shaman mana regen takes a distant second place.

Bajah
    Thooooooor
    posted 11-21-2002 09:23:42 PM
    quote:
    Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael was listening to Cher while typing:
    Several knowledgeable shamans. Reynar, I think, is the highest. I forget, though. Toktuk's still in his thirties, but he's a bounty of info too.

Ahem! I am higher level than Toktuk!
    Well, unless he's been on a levelling binge lately
    All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: