EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I think I want to switch to Mac
Archer-Penguin
Pancake
posted 08-18-2002 09:16:46 PM
And I want information, and please, without any "oh gosh macs stink so much" type stuff.

The primary thing I want to know is, what can/can't they do?

What about in comparison to PC's? What are the pro's and cons?

And one question semi-linked to this one, iPods are really cool, does anyone have them? Are they really worth 300 dollars?

[center]
Ta-Daa![/center]
Cadga
Quite Insane
posted 08-18-2002 09:19:28 PM
Macs are good for stupid people, and Canadians.
Professional Sinner/Heretic
My mindless dribble
Skaw
posted 08-18-2002 09:20:16 PM
They can do just about anything a PC can do, but they have very little support in Games. Most of the software is the same, though.
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 08-18-2002 09:20:29 PM
macs are more expensive slower versions of a pc that look better. they can do everything a PC can do, except play games and work with almost every program out there as soon as it is released.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 08-18-2002 09:21:01 PM
If you like computer games, don't get a mac.

Well, unless you like getting the games after they have been out for two + years already.

Tristan
Vidi, vici, veni.
Nae's Stooge
posted 08-18-2002 09:22:11 PM
Macs cant play 95% of computer games, and are very hard to upgrade(if you can at all)
Veni, vidi, vici
Skaw
posted 08-18-2002 09:22:40 PM
Only games you'll really get instantly are games from Blizzard, cause they love those multi-platform world wide releases and rake in 90 billion on release day
Steven Steve
posted 08-18-2002 09:22:44 PM
I want to get a Power PC so I can play Pathways into Darkness and all the Marathon games
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Doomjudge
Pancake
posted 08-18-2002 09:23:05 PM
Well, iPod's are cool, and now they work on PC, so it really doesn't matter which platform you have.
Archer-Penguin
Pancake
posted 08-18-2002 09:23:31 PM
I've seen Blizzard games for Mac.

Mostly, I like how OSx looks and feels, it's very neat to use.

And what about the iPods? Worth 300?

[center]
Ta-Daa![/center]
Redmage Darkrayver
Moron
posted 08-18-2002 09:24:13 PM
quote:
Lord Monkah had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Macs are good for stupid people, and Canadians.

Haha. I might like Macs...but my PC is a lot better

In other News...
Janet...I know some of the high end Macs are really good for graphic software and stuff. one of the guys I worked with at my co-op placement was on a dual monitor system on his G2 mac. (with photoshop making graphics and stuff for the company)

Archer-Penguin
Pancake
posted 08-18-2002 09:25:17 PM
Yeah, I do quite a bit of drawing and editing and such.

OP's sister got an iMac while she was away because that's basically ALL she does on her computer is graphics editing and such.

[center]
Ta-Daa![/center]
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 08-18-2002 09:25:29 PM
If all you want is a pretty computer, then sure, get a mac.
Nwist, Who?
Nwist
posted 08-18-2002 09:29:48 PM
Macs are for people that don't know how to use a PC.

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: Commie Nwist ]

Archer-Penguin
Pancake
posted 08-18-2002 09:36:31 PM
Darnit, I thought this a thread like this would turn into something like this.

I would appreciate it if my PC usage prowess was not insulted =(

[center]
Ta-Daa![/center]
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-18-2002 09:44:13 PM
Archer-Jant, let me look into it a bit more, but there are skins im sure that can make Windows XP look like OSX.

What are you wanting to do with your system? If all you are interested in is blizzard games, by all means, get a mac if its what ya want.

Otherwise, you may be best sticking with a PC and asking us any questions you may have if you aren't as skilled with a PC.

OK, read some more of the posts in detail...

Note a couple things. 1) To upgrade, its gonna be kinda hard, you would be buying a new system just because ya want a small upgrade, while a PC of similar power will be cheaper for one, and 2 be more upgradable.

IF money isnt an object...go mac.

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: Falaanla Marr ]

Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 08-18-2002 09:52:53 PM
After being forced to use nothing but Macs at every school I've ever attended, I can say this: They are slow, crash often, and have no right-click functionality. Also, they are quite expensive and non-upgradeable. I would encourage everyone not to buy one.

""...destructive analysis of the familiar is the only method of approach to an understanding of fundamentally different modes of expression." -Edward Sapir, Language
Alaan
posted 08-18-2002 09:55:53 PM
Pros of Mac:
-Very good for any graphics work
-Comes with some nice low to mid end multimedia software, far better than Windows in General.
-Generally more stable
-Firewire on all Macs
-Lower CPU speed, but makes better use of it

Cons:
-Harder to get games(Offset by good windows emulators)
-Slightly more pricey
-Slightly behind in some tech, graphics card mainly, but not as much lately
-You get flaemed by ignorant bastards

Alaan
posted 08-18-2002 09:59:35 PM
quote:
Bloodcookie stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
After being forced to use nothing but Macs at every school I've ever attended, I can say this: They are slow, crash often, and have no right-click functionality. Also, they are quite expensive and non-upgradeable. I would encourage everyone not to buy one.

Came in during my post...
OSX lets you right click, fused with Unix it is stable, and most crashes at school were crappily done servers in my experience, if you aren't a moron, you can upgrade them, the new ones are quite fast, and only slightly more expensive.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 08-18-2002 10:00:46 PM
macs have right click, you just have to use a different mouse to get it.

They are slow as balls though. A $3,200 duel 1ghz g4 mac is slower than a single p4 2.53 ghz. You can put together a system with that in it for around $1,600 if you go all out.

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 08-18-2002 10:16:32 PM
Macs have a lot of disadvantages, and a few advantages. Their main disadvantage is sofware... there isn't much of it. Program development companies never saw the Mac as a profitable large-scale market. A lot of the software you're used to isn't available for Mac unless they made a knock-off of it themselves. Very few games come out for the Mac, less than half of the more practical applications, and almost none of the specialty software that you'll find on the PC market.

Also, you can never upgrade your Mac. Ever. They're not designed for it. In that respect, it's like the $400 super-micro-mini computers in the PC market. Once any one part gets outdated, you have to live with it or replace the whole Mac.

The advantage of the Mac is graphics. The Mac was designed around "looking pretty", both for hardware and software. They build in the best available graphics hardware, and you can generally find good artwork and desktop publishing programs for it.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Jessica Rabbit v2.0
Pancake
posted 08-18-2002 10:24:46 PM
Mac are good mostly for Graphics and Animation. If you were to take any college corses (like graphic design) the only platform they use is Mac... but for just about anything else your better off with a PC.
Check out my art
Check out my stock photos
Tier the Genius™
Dark Elf Pimp
posted 08-18-2002 10:27:00 PM
Macs have right click. CTRL+click.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 08-18-2002 10:27:43 PM
Here's my take on it...

Macs are great for the high end visual editting. CAD work is done on them a lot, a lot of special effects are done on them. And you can do casual business relatively easy on them.

But they do have their downsides. Games are the big thing, formatting stuff for school work generally isn't done in Mac (unless they've started pushing powerpoint presentation software and hardware in colleges you can't do any of that), and there's the general lack of compatibility with most of your peers.

So what it really comes down to is what do you need/use/want to use your computer for? If it's primarily (as in the top two things) are word processing and art work, then a Mac is a viable option.

If you want to do artwork, word process, and play games...then chances are what you want is a PC with a high end art software package (which you can usually get at a rather nice discount through school) or possibly just an art board/stylus setup.

Edit:
In other words, what I'm getting at is this: Don't fix what isn't broken. If you can be equally happy outfitting your PC, don't give up PC's for Mac. Make your choice based on wants and needs.

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael ]

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Archer-Penguin
Pancake
posted 08-18-2002 10:45:25 PM
Ok! Thanks so much for the info everyone! ^.^

Now, Fal brought up a good point! Anyone know a mod or anything that will make XP more (visually at least) like OSx?

[center]
Ta-Daa![/center]
Piper
Rabid Druid
posted 08-18-2002 10:46:48 PM
quote:
Archer-Janet's fortune cookie read:
Darnit, I thought this a thread like this would turn into something like this.

I would appreciate it if my PC usage prowess was not insulted =(

When you open a topic with a phrase like "I wanna buy a mac but I don't know anything about them" you pretty much have to expect a few smart ass remarks.

It leads the reader to believe that the only reason you want to buy a mac is because of the way it looks. When posting such a question in a community largely composed of techno-geeks, its only natural for a few people to poke a little fun.

Luckily we also have a large base of sincerely helpful people who have offered up their assistance, however you probably would have been better served phrasing your question a little better. "I'm considering buying a new machine, but I'm torn between a mac and a pc."

This non-profit presentation of "How to Avoid the EC Lynch Mob" has been brought to you by the Piper Foundation for Happy Cresters

PIPERPOWER
What?! I was talking about the fish you crazy bastard!
Aure entuluva! ...or at least I hope.
Maradon!
posted 08-18-2002 10:46:55 PM
As a side note, anyone who claims a windows emulator will even approach replacing an actual PC, I laf at.

Windows emulators are absurdly buggy, completely unsupported by anyone, and will only run about 40% of windows programs at all. Of that 40% maybe 6% will actually run with full functionality.

On top of that, take the PC minimum system requirements of the program you're trying to run and multiply them by 1.5. Double them if you actually want tolerable performance.

Archer-Penguin
Pancake
posted 08-18-2002 10:49:12 PM
quote:
Piper wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
When you open a topic with a phrase like "I wanna buy a mac but I don't know anything about them" you pretty much have to expect a few smart ass remarks.

It leads the reader to believe that the only reason you want to buy a mac is because of the way it looks. When posting such a question in a community largely composed of techno-geeks, its only natural for a few people to poke a little fun.

Luckily we also have a large base of sincerely helpful people who have offered up their assistance, however you probably would have been better served phrasing your question a little better. "I'm considering buying a new machine, but I'm torn between a mac and a pc."

This non-profit presentation of "How to Avoid the EC Lynch Mob" has been brought to you by the Piper Foundation for Happy Cresters

Ok! Thanks ^.^

[center]
Ta-Daa![/center]
Burger
BANNED!
posted 08-19-2002 02:04:38 AM
I'm a Big_Mac fan myself, they're amazing, they can do anything you ask of them...

You should test take one out for a test drive, and see what you think, really try everything you feel you would ever want to do with it...

If you want more detailed information, let me know and i'll see if i can scrounge a webcam from somewhere...

humour disclaimer, incase you percieve this post as lewd

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 08-19-2002 02:10:15 AM
If I were to make movies, and graphics and stuff, I'm uch rather use a Mac then a PC.

But I don't do as much graphic and art work as I do play games, so PCs are my friend.

I hope to have both soon.

Cthulhu

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 08-19-2002 02:43:33 AM
I would never, and will never, buy a Macintosh.

You know what by and far the BIGGEST reason that I wouldn't, is?

Because if there's a great new game coming out, all my friends are raving about it, and I want to play it... the first words out of my mout should be :

"BRB guys, heading to the store to buy it now."

And NOT :

"Wow, that sounds like fun! But, I bet it wouldn't run on a Mac. NONE of the great new games do... stupid fucking Mac."

There's more reasons than just that, it's just that that's the BIGGEST reason.

Maradon!
posted 08-19-2002 02:49:41 AM
The only thing I have against a Mac is the absurd little subculture that's been built around them. People buying Mac's because they look trendy or because they mistakenly believe a Mac will be easier to use than a PC, and then going around acting like they're part of some sort of elite cult of mac users. As if thier macs were some sort of rebel insignia.

The fact that the hardware and software is extraordinarily sub par is forgiveable.

MadCat the 2nd
Pancake
posted 08-19-2002 06:42:02 AM
Actually I'd welcome a G4 running MacOS X into my hardware collection. (OS X is built on top of a BSD kernel *uNF* get Unix on a Mac yo..)

G4 performance is good when it comes to number crunching, but generally most Macs do lag in performance.

Only get a Mac if you're into doing mucho art, or layout work. Otherwise it's not worth the trouble IMO.

"Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that motherfucker upside the head."

ben(at)netmastering(dot)nl

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 08-19-2002 08:10:49 AM
*sigh*
DOesn't it suck trying to wade through the comments from people who dont' bother to know something before they post.

Upgrades:
An upgrade for you Mac cost the same as an upgrade for a PC.
SB card: $80-$100

GeForce4: 4400 ~$300

Memory: Same damn memory as your PC uses.

Hard drive: Same exact hard drive. they use ATA standard now.

Monitor: Same monitor.

Does anyone else see a patern forming here?

Software:
Most people hate that games arn't as availible for mac as they are for a PC. Well big F-ing deal. The Mac is not a gaming platform. It is a Production computer, not a toy. Outside of games you can buy anything for a mac that you can for a PC. And chances are that it will run as well or better. I can render images faster on my 733 G4 than I can on my 1.6Gh P4.

And even the games market for Mac is picking up. Warcraft3 is cross platform right out of the box. I have seen most of the more recent big releases out on both Mac and PC at about the same time. Hell even EQ is going to be Mac compatible now. (with some limitations however)

Go to the Mac software isle at CompUSA and you will see all the productivity software that you see for the PC. MS Office, ALL Adobe products, Video Editing, Sound Editing, EVERYTHING!!!! And then look at the games section. You will see it growing more than ever...

Macs retain thier value longer than a PC. This is one of the reasons I could justify the added cost for one. It just isn't going ot wear out as fast.

To be honest with you. My biggest complaint about the Mac is thier stupid 1 button mouse. However OSX supports two button functionality or more. So just get your favorite USB mouse and go with it.

Most of the arguments against macs come down to. OMG I can't play games. Which isn't true. Or OH MY GOD I can't upgrade it!!.. Which is REALLY not true. Most of these people have used older macs that did suck. However Apple has come a long way in the past couple years and now puts out one hell of a product. No crashes, it sure as hell isn't slow, and it is as upgradeable as any PC.

To upgrade my mac I pull a little lever on the side and have full access to all internals. PCI, Memory, Hard drives, Proccessor, everything is right there at my fingertips.

To be completely honest. If not for Games I probably would swich over to Pure Mac. I just like the overall performace better and handling better..

And finally. If you look now all Macs, even the entry level G4s, come with Dual Procs. Hold on checing the Mac site
Please stand by:
Ok here we go.

Dual 867MHz PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache
& 1MB L3 cache/processor
133MHz System Bus
256MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive (DVD/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce4
56K internal modem

For $1699.00
And upgrades are as cheap as for a PC. In fact PC upgrades will almost all work. Yes a bit more than for a PC that would run as well. But not by much. And you get a kick ass Software suite right out of the box.

And finally on the iPod. It is probably the best Handheld MP3 player out right now. A bit overpriced but worth the money in my opinion.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-19-2002 08:14:26 AM
quote:
Azizza wrote:
DOesn't it suck trying to wade through the comments from people who dont' bother to know something before they post.

Funniest. Thing. Ever.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 08-19-2002 08:19:21 AM
quote:
Azizza had this to say:
I can render images faster on my 733 G4 than I can on my 1.6Gh P4.

There's your problem.

Nwist, Who?
Nwist
posted 08-19-2002 08:54:13 AM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about dark elf butts:
There's your problem.

"But its a Pentium 4! How can people not want it? 4 is more than 3!"

BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 08-19-2002 10:46:37 AM
In referance to the upgrade-ablity to macs, it depends on which one you buy. eMacs and iMacs CAN be upgraded, externally. Meaning, you want a CD burner? USB it, new sound card? Extigy. BUT you can't upgrade the vid card, but I don't know about the RAM Processor or HDD, but even then you can still add an external HDD.

The G4's are a different machine all together. They can be upgraded and what not just like a normal PC.

...But yeah, I personally perfer my PC, mainly because all that I'm intersted in is gamming and I'm quite happy with my PC running XP. I have no real inclination to switch, mainly because I don't have the cash or reasons to do it.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Skaw
posted 08-19-2002 11:33:39 AM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about Captain Planet:
Warcraft3 is cross platform right out of the box.

Most Blizzard games are cross-platform, Diablo II, I think was the first Mac/PC combo at release. Why is that? Oh yeah, Roper said on TechTV's "The Screensavers" that he uses a Mac! Heaven forbid the Senior Producer/Vice President of a company makes a game he can't even run

Not only that, Blizzards love for PC/Mac world wide release makes them one of the most profitable companies when release days happen.

Maradon!
posted 08-19-2002 11:44:01 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Skaw!
Not only that, Blizzards love for PC/Mac world wide release makes them one of the most profitable companies when release days happen.

I rather doubt cross-platforming is a contributor.

Maybe 4% of the home computing market goes to Mac owners, and that's assuming that all of that 4% will even buy a game.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: