EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Useful applications of "PST"
Maradon!
posted 07-08-2002 12:18:07 AM
PST, as you know, stands for "please send tell". It's a COMPLETELY USELESS acronym that stupid people like to use in thier LFG or auction shouts, presumably to keep people from calling them at home. I don't get these people, you can't get them to add a Y and an O to "YOU" but here they are using THREE extra letters when there's no reason to. It's like they're going out of thier way to avoid passing for intellegent.

Anyway, I thought to myself about the negativity surrounding PST. Then I started thinking that I shouldn't be so glum all the time, and that's when I realized that PST has some rather useful applications!

For one, PST is a fine, highly visible indicator of who is a complete asshead. PST is like an open advertisement, a brand if you will, on all the group leaders who will get you killed, the WTS auctioneers who will try to rip you off, or, better yet, the WTB auctioneers that you can probably rip off.

Secondly, PST is an excellent motivation to get back on that horse and keep leveling! Seeing "PST" tacked uselessly on to the end of every shout, auction, and ooc is so annoying that I'm driven to level as quickly as I can to escape these zones full of retards and retreat to nicer, higher level zones full of people who, though possibly still retards, are at least more discreet about it.

Can anyone else come up with more uses for this highly utilitarian acronym?

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 07-08-2002 12:19:15 AM
It could also stand for, "Pie Served Tuesday."
Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Mr. Wilams
Pancake
posted 07-08-2002 12:20:11 AM
EVERYBODY on Luclin uses PST.

I guess they're all idiots.

Maradon!
posted 07-08-2002 12:24:44 AM
quote:
Mr. Wilams's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
EVERYBODY on Luclin uses PST.

I guess they're all idiots.

I advise you switch servers

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 07-08-2002 12:25:49 AM
Everyone subconciously emphasises on the 'Please' part. 'PLEASE BUY MY CRAP.'

It's just so obvious they'd send tells. What else would they do? Barter in the /shout channel?

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-08-2002 12:28:35 AM
Maradon, I love you.
Maradon!
posted 07-08-2002 12:29:21 AM
quote:
The Black Mage... stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Everyone subconciously emphasises on the 'Please' part. 'PLEASE BUY MY CRAP.'

What's wrong with "Please?" or at least "Plz?"

Only difference is "Plz" makes sense and "PST" doesn't.

CBTao
Pancake
posted 07-08-2002 12:43:51 AM
quote:
Maradön² probably says this to all the girls:
What's wrong with "Please?" or at least "Plz?"

Only difference is "Plz" makes sense and "PST" doesn't.

People who use "plz" should be shot.

On my old mud, when I was one of the 4 Overlords, when a newbie sent me a tell asking for validation, I would instantly delete them for use of "plz k tks thx tkx u".

Then the Head Admin told me not to...so I did it anyway for a solid week to emphasise my point, then I stopped, by electing to have my validation abilities removed.

Its said there now that the entire new generation of newbies is quite rude because I didn't break them all in.

I feel the love there.

Super Kagrama
ROFLELFOLOL!!!11!1 YUO CAN'T RAED MY POSTSSE!@!11
posted 07-08-2002 12:46:33 AM
Everybody on E'ci uses "PST."

Honestly, though, I have NEVER heard it on E'ci when I was playing way back when... maybe a new fad?

i shoueld joeg threw the foreast moer offeand!!11
Maradon!
posted 07-08-2002 12:51:25 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Super Kagrama stammered:
maybe a new fad?

A new, idiotic fad.

quote:
Originally posted by CBTao:
People who use "plz" should be shot.

"Plz", though still stupid, at least adds some information. "PST" serves only to make a broadcast of any sort look like it was written by an idiot.

[ 07-08-2002: Message edited by: Maradön² ]

Mightion Defensor
posted 07-08-2002 12:59:35 AM
This pestilence has infected Xegony as well. :/
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-08-2002 01:07:35 AM
quote:
Maradön² had this to say about Optimus Prime:
"Plz", though still stupid, at least adds some information. "PST" serves only to make a broadcast of any sort look like it was written by an idiot.

I agree!

While I despise the use of Plz, as long as it doesnt come with the dreaded PST, or an endless spout of d00dish, I can understand it, particularly if its in the middle of a big battle, where a few seconds can make a difference. It pisses me off more when auctioning, but thats another story.

PST, on the other hand, is a waste of time. What, did people not send tells in the past, so people had to start with PST? I mean, its an extra 4 characters (counting the space), and its an abbreviation, like they are trying to save time wasting time. Wow. That sounded fucked up. I think Im gonna be sucked into some odd twilight zone now.

[ 07-08-2002: Message edited by: Falaanla Marr ]

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 07-08-2002 01:08:38 AM
It's pretty amusing how much energy everyone is exerting to bash this thing
Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Maradon!
posted 07-08-2002 01:11:40 AM
quote:
Sentow had this to say about Cuba:
It's pretty amusing how much energy everyone is exerting to bash this thing

You have to draw the line somewhere.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 07-08-2002 01:12:33 AM
plz dnt uz PST k thx
Maradon!
posted 07-08-2002 01:13:01 AM
quote:
Maradön² attempted to be funny by writing:

Plus it's fun to show folks just how stupid they really are.

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 07-08-2002 01:13:15 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Maradön² wrote:

The line must be drawn here! This far, no farther!
Or what? You'll kill me? Liked you killed Ensign PST?!

CBTao
Pancake
posted 07-08-2002 01:13:41 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Falaanla Marr:
an endless spout of d00dish, I can understand it, particularly if its in the middle of a big battle, where a few seconds can make a difference.

the difference between plz and please is hardly a few seconds, to a slow typer, it would have to be a second tops

and anyone who has played eq enough to be valuable to a raid, can type far far faster than that, please says I'm an intelligent being, plz says I want to be shot.

CBTao
Pancake
posted 07-08-2002 01:15:00 AM
quote:
Geeorn had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
plz dnt uz PST k thx

Eye twitches as he draws out the small controll that relays to the Abrihams, and locks in on Geeorn.

Dr. Gee
posted 07-08-2002 01:17:35 AM
plz dnt d tat. i n rad nw s0 cat tlk.

kk la~~!

[ 07-08-2002: Message edited by: Geeorn ]

CBTao
Pancake
posted 07-08-2002 01:42:23 AM
quote:
Geeorn had this to say about dark elf butts:
plz dnt d tat. i n rad nw s0 cat tlk.

kk la~~!

Throws down the remote angrily, and pulls a hand and a halfer from the mantle, then charges Geeorn!

RAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGH, DIE!

Naota Nandaba
Don't ask me about any goddamned bannings!
posted 07-08-2002 01:43:01 AM
?
Nothing amazing happens here.
Only the ordinary.
Dr. Gee
posted 07-08-2002 01:45:42 AM
quote:
CBTao wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Throws down the remote angrily, and pulls a hand and a halfer from the mantle, then charges Geeorn!

RAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGH, DIE!

!!!!!!~~~!!!!!! u r a rog!!!! i wll petshun u chetr!!!!

Maradon!
posted 07-08-2002 01:46:47 AM
quote:
Kegwen 2.0 had this to say about Optimus Prime:
[xIMG]http://personal.cha.bellsouth.net/~jimfar/plz.jpg[/IMG]?

That's when you tell him about the spectre merchant.

Naota Nandaba
posted 07-08-2002 01:49:22 AM
quote:
Maradön² had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
That's when you tell him about the spectre merchant.

I got that tell on a 32 cleric. While PLing in Crushbone. At 3AM.

Only the ordinary.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 07-08-2002 01:50:21 AM
I always wondered why people felt the need to add "PST" to things. I mean, how else is someone gonna communicate with you. Shouts?
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Maradon!
posted 07-08-2002 01:50:53 AM
quote:
Kegwen 2.0's fortune cookie read:
I got that tell on a 32 cleric. While PLing in Crushbone. At 3AM.

The merchants in Unrest then. Even more fun, longer corpse run.

Naota Nandaba
posted 07-08-2002 01:51:53 AM
quote:
Maradön² painfully thought these words up:
The merchants in Unrest then. Even more fun, longer corpse run.

Heh heh. I was just stressing the "WTF" factor of the tell.

Only the ordinary.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 07-08-2002 02:08:43 AM
On Mith Marr, until the last few months, people actually spelled out "Please Send Tells!"

I can actually understand it when looking for a group. Otherwise I agree with Maradon and Falaanla.

The reason is doesn't botrher me on group shouts, is because all the time I'll see this.

Random_cleric_01 says out of character, 'Level 55 Cleric LFG PST'
Idiot_group_leader_00 says out of character, 'cleric to my camp!'

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 07-08-2002 04:26:02 AM
i doubt adding pst helps, but way to many tiems ive /ooc 35 bard lfg and then had poeple say in the shout chaneel BARD COME, not indicating to wherem not asking me if i want to join, not even sending me a tell......

i think iots idiots like this that gave birth to the term pst, not that they would acknoledge it and anyone who isnt a retard would send a tell in the first place

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Lashanna
noob
posted 07-08-2002 05:04:40 AM
I just started playing on Torv, I hate it...

On Povar, nobody uses it...

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 07-08-2002 05:19:46 AM
Maybe passed on what mog said taht the term spring up when other people are idiots, not because the PST users are idiots
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-08-2002 06:45:06 AM
quote:
CBTao had this to say about the Spice Girls:
the difference between plz and please is hardly a few seconds, to a slow typer, it would have to be a second tops

and anyone who has played eq enough to be valuable to a raid, can type far far faster than that, please says I'm an intelligent being, plz says I want to be shot.

the few seconds was just a generalization. Its not what it would take everyone to type it. And like I said. I still dont like it but can understand it more on raids. I wouldnt use plz, but others may. But thats what shortenings of words are for -- When you need to save time. NOT for when you are lazy.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 07-08-2002 06:46:04 AM
quote:
Lashanna had this to say about Cuba:
On Povar, nobody uses it...

Oh yes they do. I've seen it used and abused in GFay.

I think they started using it on their auctions because some people were calling out questions for the prices they were asking for stuff. If they answer over auction or OOC, and it's a ripoff price, other people jump in and warn everyone that they're gonna get ripped off if they pay that much.

So, now they only want to work in tells, so people can't warn you if they're trying to rip you off.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 07-08-2002 07:16:01 AM
I fucking use smoke signals to contact people when I wish to buy things!
"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Kalladar?
Pancake
posted 07-08-2002 08:58:06 AM
Yeap..All over Drinal as well. And boy..Are there alot of PST flames over here.
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 07-08-2002 09:06:58 AM
Hehe, couple guys in my guild have started an 'anti-PST' movement on our server. Invading the /auction chat and preaching for people to stop using it, pretty funny =)
"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Ryuujin
posted 07-08-2002 09:13:31 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it, doesn't bother me. It can be useful too. Say if you have multiple items for sale, and not enough room to list the stats of each items, you can just tack "PST for stats" on the end of your auction.
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 07-08-2002 09:22:18 AM
quote:
Ryuujin the Leezard had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
I don't see anything wrong with it, doesn't bother me. It can be useful too. Say if you have multiple items for sale, and not enough room to list the stats of each items, you can just tack "PST for stats" on the end of your auction.

I wholeheartily agree.

No wait, I don't.

Ryuujin
posted 07-08-2002 09:28:26 AM
quote:
Enforcer Za'Yth had this to say about Cuba:
I wholeheartily agree.

No wait, I don't.

I'm just saying I don't see anything wrong with using an acronym. People use acronyms all the time. ASAP, BYOB, etc.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: