EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Lord, deliver us from these talentless demons
Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 04-17-2002 02:56:03 PM
What, in the name of Robert Plant's sideburns, has happened to music? By my calculations, there has not been an original idea, or even any signs of evolution, in the music industry in the past 3 or 4 years.

All pop music, whether it's from a boy band or bleached sex-kitten, is about the same subjects, sung in exactly the same way. Rock has devolved into a sea of acts who can't play anything but simple chords, and rely entirely on their obligatory DJ to create any kind of melody. They, too, sing about the same topics, with no real variation.

Now, I'm not blaming the recording industry itself, and I'm not bashing the aforementioned types of music, just the fact that almost every freakin band is the same. There are exceptions, of course; good, new bands come around every day - they just don't get radio play.

So, my question is: what needs to happen to bring real talent and dynamism back to music. Or, has anyone seen anything on the horizon that might be the revitalizing force we need? Remember, artists ranging from Led Zeppelin to James Brown to Cat Stevens used to be featured on the same radio stations. I think we need to bring that kind of thinking back.

""...destructive analysis of the familiar is the only method of approach to an understanding of fundamentally different modes of expression." -Edward Sapir, Language
nem-x
posted 04-17-2002 03:01:09 PM
All music has been discovered!
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 04-17-2002 03:01:46 PM
Come Original with 311
Admiral Darndo
Pancake
posted 04-17-2002 03:06:14 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Bloodcookie:
just the fact that almost every freakin band is the same. There are exceptions, of course; good, new bands come around every day - they just don't get radio play.

So, my question is: what needs to happen to bring real talent and dynamism back to music. Or, has anyone seen anything on the horizon that might be the revitalizing force we need? Remember, artists ranging from Led Zeppelin to James Brown to Cat Stevens used to be featured on the same radio stations. I think we need to bring that kind of thinking back.

this gave me the best Idea ever (that and lack of sleep plus 50+ slimjims and pixi stixs) we, the Ec members,should. ...................wait for it...... ............
A techno Death metal band (name to be made later)

oh and I blame the mindless youth plus the un creativity of current music for the stop of new music.
(I hate the {most of}youth so its my biased opinion... but are all opinions biased you ask this is an after thought don't think too much about it.)

[ 04-17-2002: Message edited by: McRo ]

(Crap.I used the humans language again.) -monkey
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 04-17-2002 03:07:29 PM
I blame the fact that popularity sells. New things take time to start selling.

Thx, la~

hey
Suddar Williams
SUDAR WILAMS
posted 04-17-2002 03:20:10 PM
Music started as an art.

Then, it became a business.

Now it's an industry.

Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 04-17-2002 03:30:08 PM
I like Everlast's newer stuff. It's moderately original. Before he started doing it, I'd never heard someone playing blues rifts on a six string while rapping.
You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 04-17-2002 03:40:43 PM
Solstyce
Vampiric pixie that might eat your face, if you're lucky
posted 04-17-2002 03:43:58 PM
Tea Party's newest = god.

I swear, it's the best I've ever heard them do, and sounds even better live.

Shhh. Everyone will hear us. Everyone will know.
Janus.
I am not a woman
posted 04-17-2002 04:26:31 PM
Hmmm, I haven't really noticed. I only listin to classic rock stations.
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 04-17-2002 04:33:50 PM
I'm sure that would be true - if you only listened to what the fuckin' RIAA tells you to listen to. Besides, all the originals are dead!
Kloie
tunactsunamooon
posted 04-17-2002 04:37:40 PM
I only listen to the radio in the morning.

Jack and Ron...KissFM's "cynical, sarcastic sacks of sour cheese in the morning"...

*heart*

Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 04-17-2002 05:54:26 PM
Bon Jovi's Crush was fairly original!

But really, there has been some stuff, you just have to look for it.

Richie Samboura rocks

UBB owned me

[ 04-17-2002: Message edited by: Kinanik ]

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Redmage Darkrayver
Moron
posted 04-17-2002 06:06:25 PM
Our lady Peace
Nickelback
Tool
System of a Down
Great Big Sea
Barenaked Ladies

Jesus, when you Generalize a statement. Be sure to keep in mind that there's always an exception somewhere out there. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not going to be jumping up and down professing my love for the pop muzik (or Shit as I call it).

But you don't hear me screachin on and on about it. I do one of a few things. Change the fucking radio station to the "good" rock station, OR, I supply my own music in my cd player.

I mean, come on, it's fucking common sense. Get an idea of what YOU like in music, download some MP3s, and burn them to a cd and listen to that. Or find a decent radio station. (personally, I listen to Edge102 http://www.edge102.com/ )

So take the alternative, or take a nice cool glass of SHUT THE FUCK UP

/rant

CBTao
Pancake
posted 04-17-2002 06:19:49 PM
quote:
Bloodcookie had this to say about Duck Tales:
What, in the name of Robert Plant's sideburns, has happened to music? By my calculations, there has not been an original idea, or even any signs of evolution, in the music industry in the past 3 or 4 years.

All pop music, whether it's from a boy band or bleached sex-kitten, is about the same subjects, sung in exactly the same way. Rock has devolved into a sea of acts who can't play anything but simple chords, and rely entirely on their obligatory DJ to create any kind of melody. They, too, sing about the same topics, with no real variation.

Now, I'm not blaming the recording industry itself, and I'm not bashing the aforementioned types of music, just the fact that almost every freakin band is the same. There are exceptions, of course; good, new bands come around every day - they just don't get radio play.

You're delving too far into mainstream music, the music of "them" we are not of them, we are counterculture, if you want originality try these bands in this order:

Dream Theater (absolute polished musicianship, if a band were to ever approach perfection in their skill, this is that band)

Yngwie Malmsteen (if you were to supercede perfection on the guitar, you have this man, although he's swedish, he's still a phenominal guitarist)

Blind Guardian (Fantasy, Metal, lead singer with a range an voice unbeleviable, I think so far, only Hansi Kursch could approach Freddie Mercury as a lead singer)

Iced Earth {Metal with a darker turn but none of that screaming an shouting instead of singing crap, the albums are all so excellently written, who else does a 17 min long song based on renaissance conceptions of christianity (Dante's Divine Comedy)]

Tenacious D (Raunchy but witty comedy done with suprising skill and damn, Jack Black can sing like a mofugger, I kinna wish he'd do serious rock just to hear it)

go now, explore and expand yourself, you have your originality in music. you just have to dig deeper than the corperate surface

Maradon!
posted 04-17-2002 06:39:52 PM
If you want revoultionary music, you can turn to video games and find all the fresh, new ideas you can tolerate.

Video games are the unification of all culture, all art, all innovation. Every advancement of the computer age is found in thier programming, every cultural influence and form of art is expressed in thier plots and ambiences and environments.

They are an amalgum of the greatest we are capable of in either art or science.

Video games are exemplary of all humanity's achievements as a race to date.

except, of course, the ones Nintendo makes

[ 04-17-2002: Message edited by: Maradön? ]

Canadian Mountee
Rumble Pak+FMV Sequence=FUN!
posted 04-17-2002 07:28:37 PM
Jesus fucking christ RedMage, shut the fuck up. It's a god damn opinion. "I dont like Great big sea" "YOU'RE GONNA DIE TONIGHT, NEWFIE!!"

eeepzz1111

The World is Yours
Maelarr
Pancake
posted 04-17-2002 08:16:35 PM
quote:
Vorago had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
<----

Manson != Music.
(Thats manson in sigpic right?)

All Empires Fall, You just have to know where to push- Me
Cleric Rogue Sigpic
Arttemis the Rogue
Amethyst's sex toy
posted 04-17-2002 08:20:02 PM
quote:
Siliddar had this to say about John Romero:
Manson != Music.
(Thats manson in sigpic right?)

No, that's Buckethead.

n00b.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 04-17-2002 08:28:47 PM
quote:
Comrade_Snoota had this to say about Duck Tales:
I like Everlast's newer stuff. It's moderately original. Before he started doing it, I'd never heard someone playing blues rifts on a six string while rapping.

See sig.

-Tok

[ 04-17-2002: Message edited by: Toktuk ]

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-17-2002 08:29:51 PM
I keep seeing: "taintless demons."

Taint. Sheesh. I've a sick mind.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-17-2002 08:37:11 PM
Isn't a taintless demon an angel?
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

vertue
Pancake
posted 04-17-2002 08:41:55 PM
A taintless demon could be one of the Angels that didn't choose sides and are now stuck just inside the gates of hell being chased by hordes of stinging insects and being covered in maggots, if you believe Dante that is.

Archers Roxxors!

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-17-2002 08:43:16 PM
Milton > Dante, but both roXorz.

vertue
Pancake
posted 04-17-2002 08:45:26 PM
In refering to the angels that didn't choose sides, I am refering to lucifers rebellion and the battle between Yahweh and Lucifer. It is said that 1/3 of the angels fought for Lucifer, and the rest fought for Yahweh. But Dante apparently believed that some "sat on the Fences" so to speak and didn't choose sides, so as to avoid conflict and congragulate the winning side I guess.

Archers Roxxors!

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-17-2002 08:47:16 PM
Milton described the same conflict in Paradise Lost.

vertue
Pancake
posted 04-17-2002 08:48:48 PM
One of my favorite Milton History paper bloopers. "Milton got married and wrote 'Paradise Lost. Then his wife died and he wrote 'Paradise Regained'". Lol

I haven't read much of Milton. Read Dantes Inferno though and liked it. Tried reading Dante's Paradisio but couldn't really.

I suppose that Milton would have a much more violent picture of hell than Dante since Puritans seemed to focus on fire and brimstone more that Mercy and forgiveness, at least that is what I heard.

Catholics on the other hand, don't as much.

Archers Roxxors!

Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 04-17-2002 08:52:53 PM
Video Game music != That innovative.

Lyrics are a key part to music.

k thx la~

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-17-2002 09:02:10 PM
Oddly enough, Satan comes across as a very sympathetic character in Paradise Lost. By our standards, anyway.

He fights what he considers oppression, refuses to give up in adversity, and finally decides to make the best of what he has.

Not that Milton intended it that way, mind you. He was shooting for "implacable evil" rather than "tenaciously principled."

Ocyrrhoe Trazere
Bootylicious!!
posted 04-17-2002 09:05:39 PM
I listen to music that a lot of Americans haven't heard of, or go probably wouldn't give a chance because it's not what they're used to.

Like Nightwish. And Blind Guardian.

Not a single of my IRL friends had ever heard of either of them before I made them listen. They say it isn't bad, but I know they're just saying that so I'll leave them the hell alone.

Thank jeebus Cadga never let me listen to that pop crap when I was little. I used to sit in his room and watch him on the computer while he blasted metal.

Yeah.

"Come at me. Every inch of me will resist you."

Full sigpic image.
Liam - "Caitlin: You terrify me, but in a good way."

vertue
Pancake
posted 04-17-2002 09:11:06 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Bloodsage!
Oddly enough, Satan comes across as a very sympathetic character in Paradise Lost. By our standards, anyway.
He fights what he considers oppression, refuses to give up in adversity, and finally decides to make the best of what he has.

Not that Milton intended it that way, mind you. He was shooting for "implacable evil" rather than "tenaciously principled."

That would make some sense, as Satan was an Angel, and the highest, and even when turned to evil the Good that God would have placed inside of him would not have faded so quickly, or easily.
Satan most certainly does not appear as Tenaciously principled in the story, but there might also be more to it than that. What if Satan was only pretending to appear noble and such to coerce the others who fell with him? That would make sense to, I think. Although whether that is what Milton intended I do not know.

What do I think happened? I think that Satan fell, and slowly turned more and more evil as he fed on his own hate. Fits also with Tolkiens Opening in the Silmarillion. Even though Tolkien didn't want it to be thought as a religious book, an opening like that makes it a little hard not to think of it as such, considering the fact that Tolkien was a Christian.

Archers Roxxors!

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-17-2002 09:12:59 PM
Those were just my words.

You really should read Milton; it's quite a good story, and well written.

That's wher my .sig comes from.

Maradon!
posted 04-17-2002 09:19:01 PM
quote:
Kinanik obviously shouldn't have said:
Lyrics are a key part to music.

k thx la~

I know of about 80,000 techno artists among hundreds of instrumental artists in countless other musical generes who would argue that you're completely wrong.

Mozart, Hyden, Mendelsshon, and a great many other of the greatest musical composers of all time didn't put too much stock in lyrics

vertue
Pancake
posted 04-17-2002 09:19:29 PM
Your sig is most certainly interesting. It also made me think of something else. Those words would only be true of Satan, and not of his followers. They weren't reigning in hell, he was.

Better to Serve out of Love in Heaven,
Then to Serve out of Fear in Hell.

What do you think?

Archers Roxxors!

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-17-2002 09:23:13 PM
I quote the part about reigning for a reason . . .

I don't care where it's better to serve, because I'm not content with that lot in life.

Arttemis the Rogue
Amethyst's sex toy
posted 04-17-2002 09:24:23 PM
Pssh. Why do I have to serve at all in hell? I mean, what the flip is big bad Satan going to do to me? Kill me?
vertue
Pancake
posted 04-17-2002 09:24:52 PM
Actually, doesn't the bible say that the saved will reign with Christ? I seem to remember that somewere in revelation.

Archers Roxxors!

vertue
Pancake
posted 04-17-2002 09:26:48 PM
quote:
No one really understood why Arttemis wrote this stupid crap
Pssh. Why do I have to serve at all in hell? I mean, what the flip is big bad Satan going to do to me? Kill me?

No, but you would probably end up wishing that he could kill your soul, if that is were you end up anyway.

Archers Roxxors!

Emil
Hypersensitive; Beware of Hurt Feelings
posted 04-17-2002 09:30:10 PM
quote:
Maradön? had this to say about dark elf butts:
I know of about 80,000 techno artists among hundreds of instrumental artists in countless other musical generes who would argue that you're completely wrong.

Mozart, Hyden, Mendelsshon, and a great many other of the greatest musical composers of all time didn't put too much stock in lyrics

You are totally discounting the voice, that was the first instrument, maybe before the drum, who knows when the first whistle or humming happened. And these men who you mention also wrote opera, which had songs, composed of lyrics.

From a worldly point of view, there is no mistake so great as that of being always right. – Samuel Butler
Solstyce
Vampiric pixie that might eat your face, if you're lucky
posted 04-17-2002 09:55:03 PM
Go Canadian music. We have some damn good bands up here you people have not heard of yet. Moist and The Tea Party being my prime example here, Our Lady Peace being another (though their newest song SUCKS. It SUCKS. What the hell IS that?! ARGH.), same with Barenaked Ladies (best before they got really big, in my opinion). There IS good stuff out there. Search and ye shall find.

Stuff like N'Sync, Britney Spears and Linkin Park (to me, they are just another boy band, just one that does a kind of music I should like. I hate being a stereotype ) IS NOT EVERYTHING. Just find soemthing you enjoy and listen away.

*flicks Circle of Dust back on and settles back*

P.S. Edge 102's morning show sucks horribly.

EDIT: I hate typos.

[ 04-17-2002: Message edited by: Solstyce ]

Shhh. Everyone will hear us. Everyone will know.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: