EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Help Ferrell?
Ferrel
Fippy's VP
posted 03-26-2002 03:34:35 PM
Well, I've pretty much decided that I'm going to sign my soul over to SOE for good.

With that in mind, I'm going out sometime this week to purchase a 2nd account.

I've been talking about a monk for a while now, but like FOR Real, I'm going to make it.

My problems are thus, however.

Human or Iksar? Now, I'm 90% leaning towards Iksar. Mostly because of infravision. But...
They're ugly as hell. The new model Iksar just look bad. The males are bulky and silly looking and the girls have heads that are to small for their bodies. Plus, the Iksar experience mod is 120. Thats slower leveling, but that really doesnt matter.

But... no infravision? Hmm... ouch.

Now, Male or Female?
If its a human, Female for sure. But with the Iksar, gender isnt really a deal, its which body type you want. Do I want big and ugly or small and tiny headed?

And now, a name (ive really only looked at girl names)...
Livia
Ferrelia

Or suggest your own!!

Ferrel!
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 03-26-2002 03:38:20 PM
Human Female would be my first choice, if not, iksar male.

I like the lack of an EXP penalty over the way the iksar look now (WHich I find very cool).

Emil
Hypersensitive; Beware of Hurt Feelings
posted 03-26-2002 03:38:46 PM
I think you can't beat the regen of the Iskar, plus built in body armor, and infravision as you mentioned, a little less damage than a human, but the benefits outweigh that. My big issue is the exp penalty with the Iskar, but if it's no big deal to you, then definitely Iskar. (Plus swim of 100)

I like Ferrelia, and you should be female

From a worldly point of view, there is no mistake so great as that of being always right. – Samuel Butler
Kloie
tunactsunamooon
posted 03-26-2002 03:41:13 PM
Pugilist. (Look it up if you don't know it. )
Ryuujin
posted 03-26-2002 03:41:38 PM
Iksar DEFINITELY

And I think the New models are good

Aaron (the good one)
posted 03-26-2002 03:42:37 PM
Being an Iksar monk, I'd say go human
The exp penalty gets noticeable around the 30 range.

If you don't care about the exp penalty, go Iksar, the +45AC, infravision, and regen help alot.

Who's Ferrell?

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 03-26-2002 03:47:37 PM
I like the new (and old) look of the male Iksar. I would say either Male Iksar or Female Human, and decide based off of what you want to do with them.

The real thing you need to look at is faction. If you won't enjoy playing an Iksar due to being KOS to most places, then go with a human. Humans can go more places and do more things with little or no faction work compared to Iksar. This can also make it easier to get groups, as you don't have to avoid places that other lower level characters gather.

If you want to solo a lot, play an Iksar. The extra AC and regen can help cut down on the amount of time it takes you to get back to full HP before the next fight. Just realize that sooner or later you will want to do some faction work.

For some reason though, I would almost more expect you to be wanting to play a Barbarian Female Beastlord rather than a Human or Iksar Monk.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-26-2002 03:48:47 PM
quote:
Ryuujin wrote:
And I think the New models are good

This, coming from the guy who has a stoned-looking Iksar sigpic..

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 03-26-2002 03:53:07 PM
I'm not even going to TOUCH Human Vs. Iksar...right now.

I will say this:

If you go Human, go Agnostic. Trust me on this. You're allowed in a LOT of places Quellious Monks aren't. Don't let anyone try to tell you that you should be a Quellious Monk so you don't have to do faction work for sash quests. 15 minutes in the EFP newbie area killing orcs nets you enough faction. Seriously.

Also, I'd say to throw all of your points into stamina, or at least to get it up to 100, and the rest into str. I really wish I hadn't been an agi/cha monk.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Ryuujin
posted 03-26-2002 04:03:45 PM
quote:
De lid g am ond had this to say about Cuba:
Being an Iksar monk, I'd say go human
The exp penalty gets noticeable around the 30 range.

If you don't care about the exp penalty, go Iksar, the +45AC, infravision, and regen help alot.

Who's Ferrell?

Not so much now since their "mathimagic"

Ferrel
Fippy's VP
posted 03-26-2002 04:04:10 PM
Ferrell is my EQ avatar.
Ferrel is me the gnoll.

Well, the exp penalty really isnt important. Kinda doesnt matter when you've got a High Priest and an Enchanter chasing you.

It is more of a deal of looks.

Ferrel!
Ryuujin
posted 03-26-2002 04:04:48 PM
quote:
Mortious thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
This, coming from the guy who has a stoned-looking Iksar sigpic..

I liked you better as a buckethead, now some guy with wings poking out of his temples

Tier the Genius™
Dark Elf Pimp
posted 03-26-2002 04:15:14 PM
Human:
For nightvision, you can just get Ultravision/Infravision items.
For regen, you have a fungi tunic.
For AC, you have plenty of armor.

Lacking all these things, I kinda went for Iksar.

That being said... Looks... Humans and Iksar are both fugley with Luclin Models, so that's no big deal. Of course, with or without Luclin, looks lean toward human.

The only semi-significant difference is the exp penalty which can sometimes be annoying, but between you and me, that 20% penalty doesn't make it near as hard as it is to get beyond 51

Oh, almost forgot. Faction. If you're ready to spend some time working only on factions, then Iksar faction isn't a problem. In a short time you can get ally to Freeport, monk orders, Qeynos, Rivervale, you name it.

[ 03-26-2002: Message edited by: Tier ]

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 03-26-2002 04:30:12 PM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about Cuba:
I'm not even going to TOUCH Human Vs. Iksar...right now.
If you want monk advice, go to monkly buisness.

I'm sure they'll LOVE you asking them that.

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Squire Twitch
Pancake
posted 03-26-2002 04:36:00 PM
human female.

name... uhhh... Fippysnak

Iksar suck.
Humans look better.

My parents just came back from a planet where the dominant lifeform had no bilateral symmetry, and all I got was this stupid F-Shirt
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 03-26-2002 04:37:37 PM
I say go human, agnostic. You'll be well liked or tolerated in most places, including the evil outpost at the Overthere. None of that exp penalty nonsense either. You'll generally have a better time of it all as an agnostic human.

Little reason to be a Quellious worshipper, except that you start in Freeport and it's easier to make money in the Freeport area than it is in the Qeynos area. And you can just haul your hiney across Antonica to resolve that issue.

Also, will the monk be twinked or untwinked? I can give some advice for either way.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Ferrel
Fippy's VP
posted 03-26-2002 04:41:03 PM
I dont go to class boards because most are hypocrites.

They all jump on you if you ask for advice on a new character if you're going to twink it. Because we all know that EVERY monk there worked from their way up... Riiiight.

Human monks are really the only possibility of that. They act as though twinking was the ultimate sin. Expecially safe house. Thats another debate though. And I really really dont want to start a flame.

Lets just focus on names?

Ferrel!
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 03-26-2002 04:44:25 PM
Awwwww, but I love giving advice on twinking and starting from scratch...
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 03-26-2002 04:52:58 PM
Human female monk named "Prymayt"!
Pavane
Pancake
posted 03-26-2002 05:24:11 PM
I need a playmate...

Boot to the head!
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 03-26-2002 05:35:11 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Ferrel said:
Because we all know that EVERY monk there worked from their way up... Riiiight.

Hell if I didn't.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 03-26-2002 05:38:44 PM
quote:
Ferrel Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Because we all know that EVERY monk there worked from their way up... Riiiight.

Hi.

Oh...and personally I prefer the new Iksar models, especially the female, but then again, I never really looked THAT hard on the model to notice the head it too small or whatever, cause it doesn't look that way. You seem to be leaning towards Human anyways, and I will only echo that you should go agnostic if you don't want to deal with faction.

If you do go with Iksar like you intially mentioned, faction isn't that hard to get up if you really feel the need to do it. Plus the Field of Bone is about the best newbie area ever invented. You can go from 1-22 or so without ever leaving the zone.

In the end though, faction means jack shit to a Monk unless you need better then indifferent.

I have no suggestions for names honestly...I suck at names and have only a few names I re-use.

Ferrel
Fippy's VP
posted 03-26-2002 05:39:44 PM
I'm not suggesting that all monks are twinks.

Nor any here.

I am saying that every "twink nazi" over there cant be a pure monk.

Ferrel!
Miandor
Pancake
posted 03-26-2002 05:49:54 PM
Dont human male's get to be bald tho?

Bald monks > all.

And do female human monks look good with SoL pics on or male?

..../has been thinking of making a monk....

Miandor 56th High Elf Magician
Tulerin Hippyassassin 54th Wood Elf hippy rogue
Myriad Tholuxe Paells
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 03-26-2002 05:55:28 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Miandor wrote:
Dont human male's get to be bald tho?

Bald monks > all.

|
|
|
V........Oh, and as far as how human females look, check out Kloie's Profile.

[ 03-26-2002: Message edited by: Densetsu ]

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 03-26-2002 06:09:12 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Ferrel wrote:
I'm not suggesting that all monks are twinks.

Nor any here.

I am saying that every "twink nazi" over there cant be a pure monk.

I realize that. I just like to point out that, although we are the rarest kind of Monk out there, there are some of us who didn't have the benefit.

And I admit to being a twink nazi at times...but I only really care now when it happens on my server and if they have better stuff then I do. Which can't happen anymore. So I am happy.

Bald Monks do rock.

Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 03-26-2002 06:10:02 PM
Finally got a fungal, Batty?
"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 03-26-2002 06:12:35 PM
Human > Iksar!

And not only is a Crown of King Tranix a good Monk headpiece, it has infravision and is generally cheap now days.

You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Kloie
tunactsunamooon
posted 03-26-2002 06:15:59 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Densetsu was all like:
Oh, and as far as how human females look, check out Kloie's Profile.

Mine is after some messing around in PSP, though. BE WARNED!

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 03-26-2002 06:22:21 PM
quote:
Batutisz wrote this stupid crap:
I realize that. I just like to point out that, although we are the rarest kind of Monk out there, there are some of us who didn't have the benefit.

And I admit to being a twink nazi at times...but I only really care now when it happens on my server and if they have better stuff then I do. Which can't happen anymore. So I am happy.

Bald Monks do rock.

I love you...

Zergling
Pancake
posted 03-26-2002 06:22:35 PM
Well, think of it this way, at level 60 as an Iksar, You have a weightless champions breastplate with fungal regrowth instead of invigorate, and can still wear another breastplate.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 03-26-2002 06:26:14 PM
By the way, Ferrel, the only people I've ever heard complain about human vision are those who do NOT play humans. I've played this guy for several years without anything more than a greater lightstone(froggy crown now) to enhance my vision, and it's not as bad as people try to make it out to be. Also, I've had as hard of a time seeing in some conditions on my characters with infra as I've had with Dens. If you have a video card that's voodoo or better, you can adjust your gamma for those times when you are bound in a tunnel on CR and it is is pitch black, or when going through a forest at night. Those are the only times I have problems.

Vision isn't an issue.

Kloie
tunactsunamooon
posted 03-26-2002 06:29:21 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Densetsu wrote:
STUFF. and...EVEN MORE STUFF. omgz la la la~

He's right...vision really ain't so bad. I managed to grab a GLS the other day, and that helped but eh. Just remember....this is coming from a girl who played some sort of Elf for the past two years... x_X

/dev/null
Pancake
posted 03-26-2002 06:31:55 PM
Wait till you get used to playing that UV capable character and you go to IR or no vision enhancement....

I kept getting headaches when I was playing my Ogre warrior and I couldn't figure out why. After a while they went away. When I finally went back to playing my Necromancer the headaches came back. It took a while before I realized it was the tinting that was causing the eyestrain. I was getting used to one environment and seeing it in a different format.

Beep. Beep. Beep... Ohh... I think my porridge is done.
My fellow Americans, as you know, my foreign policy can be summed up in five words: "Iludium-236 Explosive Space Modulator."
When it comes down to it, searching the web without Google is like straining sewage with your teeth.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 03-26-2002 06:32:52 PM
Vision WAS an issue before the last change to human vision. Even with gamma up all the way some areas were pitch black (like the cave leading to Surefall Glade) but now you can at least see the walls and such.

But a GLS in your inventory will work just fine.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 03-26-2002 06:34:26 PM
quote:
RPC painfully thought these words up:
Wait till you get used to playing that UV capable character and you go to IR or no vision enhancement....

I kept getting headaches when I was playing my Ogre warrior and I couldn't figure out why. After a while they went away. When I finally went back to playing my Necromancer the headaches came back. It took a while before I realized it was the tinting that was causing the eyestrain. I was getting used to one environment and seeing it in a different format.

I don't have that problem when switching between my wizard and my monk.

[Edit: Besides, it's not like shamans and enchanters don't get targettable vision buffs. ]

[ 03-26-2002: Message edited by: Densetsu ]

/dev/null
Pancake
posted 03-26-2002 06:37:42 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Densetsu wrote:
I don't have that problem when switching between my wizard and my monk.

(1) Why is it when I quote you the quote always comes out fucked up?

(2) Wizard? DE or HE? I haven't noticed an issue between IR and No vision characters, but UV and IR or UV and No vision seems to generate headaches for most of the people I've talked to...

Play a UV character exclusively for a few weeks in some common areas (I was noticing the most pain in GFay) and then come back with your IR or No Vision character and start playing... you'll probally hit the same thing I was...

My fellow Americans, as you know, my foreign policy can be summed up in five words: "Iludium-236 Explosive Space Modulator."
When it comes down to it, searching the web without Google is like straining sewage with your teeth.
Schalaa Zeal
Stand Tall
and Shake your (_|_)!!
posted 03-26-2002 06:42:19 PM
DE Never have that problem.
/dev/null
Pancake
posted 03-26-2002 06:44:47 PM
And note the part about exclusively?
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 03-26-2002 06:45:42 PM
quote:
RPC had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
And note the part about exclusively?

Several occasions where I've 'quit' my monk altogether to play my wizard, once I went back, no problem.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: