EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Do you beleive in magic?
Solstyce
Vampiric pixie that might eat your face, if you're lucky
posted 03-08-2002 12:28:23 PM
Do you? Not in a religious way, not in a ritualistic way, not in a "I cast Magic Missile" way, but actually think there's magical stuff out there?

I'm dead serious here. I've been witnessing far too much weird crap lately.

Shhh. Everyone will hear us. Everyone will know.
nem-x
posted 03-08-2002 12:30:10 PM
I wish I could be as cool as David Blaine and levitate
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 03-08-2002 12:31:03 PM
Not I, said the Sent man.

But I've got ten bucks says somebody posts, "Love is magic!" or some facsimilie thereof before the day is out

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 03-08-2002 12:38:47 PM
Love is magic!

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Tier the Genius™
Dark Elf Pimp
posted 03-08-2002 12:40:42 PM
Magic is love!
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 03-08-2002 12:41:31 PM
Sol, yes.

The rest of you...

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 03-08-2002 12:41:42 PM
*sex0rs Tier*

Tier the Genius™
Dark Elf Pimp
posted 03-08-2002 12:43:19 PM
Smartassness aside...

I'd really like magic to exist. But unfortunately... there's no proof out there, no happenings that I know of. So I have to go for the negative for now.

Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 03-08-2002 12:47:59 PM
Since you said not in a religious way, I have to say no.
Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Emil
Hypersensitive; Beware of Hurt Feelings
posted 03-08-2002 12:51:54 PM
I can't say I believe in Magic, but I do believe certain ppl (that I've yet to meet) may be able to do things that others cannot explain. For example I feel like I get Deja Vu all the time, and I swear it's like looking in the future sometimes. No I can't tell the future, or what lottery numbers are coming next week, but I believe that someone somewhere may be able to grasp these flashes that can't be measured or held.
From a worldly point of view, there is no mistake so great as that of being always right. – Samuel Butler
Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 03-08-2002 12:52:56 PM
sure, why not

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 03-08-2002 12:54:22 PM
I don't believe in Magic.
I believe in Technology!

I don't believe in God.
I believe in Science!

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
greykittytwilight
As sands through the hourglass...
posted 03-08-2002 01:00:27 PM
I believe in magic..Just like I believe in UFO's..The lockness Monster..The dead thing that lives under my bed..and that someday while Im sleeping my cat will suck the life out of me.

Im serious.

..And the waitress is practicing politics.
As a buisness man slowly gets stoned.
Yes, they're sharing a drink they call Loneliness.
but its better then drinking alone.
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 03-08-2002 01:00:33 PM
I do
Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 03-08-2002 01:16:09 PM
quote:
greykittytwilight had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
lockness

Loch Ness.

And I believe in sixth senses. Pyrokenesis, telekenesis, etc.

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Lazzay
omg mack attack :(
posted 03-08-2002 01:18:49 PM
Yep. Too much weird crap happens around me for me to not believe in it
one two three fo let me see that tootsie roll
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 03-08-2002 01:29:34 PM
Well, the server says it's loading, but I dunno...

Seriously, there's got to be some strange, unexplainable force out there. I might not exactly term it 'magic', perhaps, but it's definetely there just out of sight.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Waisztarroz
I love democracy
posted 03-08-2002 01:31:34 PM
quote:
greykittytwilight had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
I believe in magic..Just like I believe in UFO's..The lockness Monster..The dead thing that lives under my bed..and that someday while Im sleeping my cat will suck the life out of me.

Im serious.

We need a gullible tag.

But seriously, no, I have to say with 100% confidence I don't believe in any sort of magic.

Yes, that's right, hot live sex!
There's a raptor behind you.
Resident grammar whore.
Warning, flames imminent!
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-08-2002 01:52:11 PM
There's no such thing as magic.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Taylen
Pancake
posted 03-08-2002 01:52:20 PM
I do.
"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd." - Tom Lehrer.
Sadomasochism: It's Fun!
Taylen Ashenbow
Rangers never run we mearly stratigically retreat.
Thats not a train thats a pull, my trains are always much bigger.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 03-08-2002 01:57:09 PM
Magic? I dunno, I believe it could exist.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 03-08-2002 02:00:08 PM
Azakias nods.

Always have, always will.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 03-08-2002 02:03:06 PM
I believe in magic. Definatly, since I try to practice and study it from the Necronomicon (Book of the Dead Earth, not Book of the Dead) and alchemey and such.

Ozius

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-08-2002 02:04:12 PM
"Magic" is just a term people who'd rather not think about things use to describe what they don't understand.

If these "mysterious forces" exist, they will be incorporated into physics as they are discovered and described.

Remember: a good chunk of what we consider routine would have been considered magic a mere hundred years ago.

Il Buono
posted 03-08-2002 02:06:26 PM
You kind of just proved the point that it does exist.

By saying that we label things we don't understand as magic, then eventually understand them, that would make them magic for a while, yes?

braene hrut.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-08-2002 02:07:45 PM
On a historical note, Necronomicon is a term H.P. Lovecraft invented for use in his short stories. It became very popular, though, and an entire genre of urban legend has sprung up around it.

I had a class in Horror for my English Master's.

greykittytwilight
As sands through the hourglass...
posted 03-08-2002 02:10:22 PM
Im not gullible.

Im just an open minded moron.

..And the waitress is practicing politics.
As a buisness man slowly gets stoned.
Yes, they're sharing a drink they call Loneliness.
but its better then drinking alone.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-08-2002 02:10:45 PM
quote:
D had this to say about Tron:
You kind of just proved the point that it does exist.

By saying that we label things we don't understand as magic, then eventually understand them, that would make them magic for a while, yes?

braene hrut.

No--by labeling it "magic," one inhibits logic and scientific inquiry by adding all sorts of spiritual and ritualistic mumbo-jumbo. Most of what folks call "magic" these days are unverified phenomena passed on through flimsy testimonials.

There is a large difference between attributing something to magical forces or to the normal operation of physics.

Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 03-08-2002 02:10:48 PM
quote:
Bloodsage wrote this stupid crap:
On a historical note, Necronomicon is a term H.P. Lovecraft invented for use in his short stories. It became very popular, though, and an entire genre of urban legend has sprung up around it.

I had a class in Horror for my English Master's.

I am a big fan of H.P. Lovecraft, and I do know that, but what is the fun of going about saying 'That's not real'.

I know that, but it's a kick to do it sometimes, walk around speaking the Dark Tongue to students you find distastefull, heheh. Besides, there are many stories untold in the world...mayhaps Mr. Lovecraft pulled the proverbial wool over our eyes?

Ozius

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-08-2002 02:17:01 PM
He was a pretty bad racist, though, and much of what he considered scary centered around racial purity.

Not really my thing, and the literature of that time was just a bit too stuffy for my taste.

Suddar Williams
SUDAR WILAMS
posted 03-08-2002 02:28:04 PM
I think D kinda has a point.

If we ever learned how to control something like...giant fireballs of fiery...fire...some people would say "magic! Magic! YOU'RE USING MAGIC!" for awhile, and then a scientist will step up and explain the process which allows human beings to harness such forces and it would become widely accepted as "science" and we will be teaching people how to harness their latent abilities to use giant fireballs of fiery fire at military training schools and life eventually goes on. A few people will still call it magic but those are the ones who would be so narrow-minded about the subject anyway that it wouldn't matter.

Or am I wrong?

Il Buono
posted 03-08-2002 02:29:21 PM
quote:
D wrote this stupid crap:
braene hrut.
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 03-08-2002 02:38:26 PM
I agree with D/Suddar.

And I know what Emil is talking about. I get deja vu's all the time, and when I do, I get this feeling that I've seen it in a dream, which I find very strange as I haven't been able to remember a dream since I was like 10.

Sixth senses/telekinesis/telepathy are also things I believe in.

hey
The Last Strider
I will die alone
posted 03-08-2002 02:47:36 PM
1. Certain Yogi's in the Himalayas have been known to create matter using their minds, and a few can even create a short-lived, soulless living being. Therefore, I believe in magic.

2. I also get odd preminitions in dreams, which show an everyday event occuring, then, sometimes as much as a year later, the event occurs. Therefore, I believe in Psionic powers.

3. My father can talk to my cat. Really. No, I'm NOT that crazy; he really can.

"We have listened to you speak since the dawn of time, and we have learned to imatoot you exarktly."-The Simpsons

Necromancer: How DARE you imply that I was involved in a rude act with my undead servant! I will flay the flesh from your bones! I will summon a thousand maggot-ridden corpses to gnaw your flesh! I will trap your soul in-
Ghoul: My ass hurts.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-08-2002 03:11:20 PM
quote:
The Last Strider wrote this stupid crap:
1. Certain Yogi's in the Himalayas have been known to create matter using their minds, and a few can even create a short-lived, soulless living being. Therefore, I believe in magic.

2. I also get odd preminitions in dreams, which show an everyday event occuring, then, sometimes as much as a year later, the event occurs. Therefore, I believe in Psionic powers.

3. My father can talk to my cat. Really. No, I'm NOT that crazy; he really can.

1. Nuh-uh. If that is true, then why has E=mc^2 not been updated to reflect this new physics?

2. Everyday events occur every day--it's not strange that you dream about them and they then happen. Perfectly normal psychological processes in action.

3. I talk to my dog, but it doesn't mean anything supernatural is going on. It's easy enough to tell which whine means, "Play with me," which means "Feed me, Seymour," and which means, "Let me out; I gotta go."

And, just to clarify, D's and Suddar's expansion of what I said argues against the existence of magic. There is no such thing: there is only science, constrained by physical forces. "Magic" is just a label used by the ignorant, the romantic, and the religious.

leckzilla!
Squeak!
posted 03-08-2002 03:16:08 PM
My answer is yes. why the hell not?
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 03-08-2002 03:21:18 PM
quote:
Giantt wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
I get deja vu's all the time...
"Deja Vu" as it is called, is just a lapse in consciousness. It's been proven scientificly what it is.
quote:
why the hell not?
Maybe, because... I don't know, it has yet to be proven real?

Alleria Qui'farush
Chica!
posted 03-08-2002 03:44:32 PM
I believe there is magic. Certainly not the magic that you perform on stage because they're all illusions, but the phenomenal(sp?) magic. What would life be without that type of magic?
Delphi Aegis
Pancake
posted 03-08-2002 03:55:04 PM
Asimov (Was it Asimov or Clark? I cant remember. It was one or the two) said:
quote:
Any sufficiently advanced technology will appear to be magic

THAT aside, there are some forces that I believe science, at this current point in time, cannot explain.

Weird Deja Vu is one thing, but complex dreams coming true is another. About every 3 months or so, I'll have dreamless nights, or nights where I remember no dreams.. Then, usually 3 months after that, I'll live out each and every dream, and remember exactly what is going to happen next, and change everything to "fit" that future. I could give you many examples, but yall wouldnt believe me anyway.

Maybe Merlin mastered Nanotech (Hey, he does age backwards, y'know..) in Camelot or something.. Who knows. /shrug

I'll keep an open mind.

Delphi
I walk in the Light
Facing the Darkness Boldly
I fear no Evil
The Last Strider
I will die alone
posted 03-08-2002 03:59:54 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Pirotess:

1. Nuh-uh. If that is true, then why has E=mc^2 not been updated to reflect this new physics?

2. Everyday events occur every day--it's not strange that you dream about them and they then happen. Perfectly normal psychological processes in action.

3. I talk to my dog, but it doesn't mean anything supernatural is going on. It's easy enough to tell which whine means, "Play with me," which means "Feed me, Seymour," and which means, "Let me out; I gotta go."

1. E=mc^2 does not govern EVERY SINGLE DAMN THING in the Universe.

2. So, seeing the EXACT SAME EVENT, down to the last minute detail like a shirt I don't own, later buy, and wear isn't a preminition? Gee.

3. No, I mean my Dad can actually UNDERSTAND the cat. He can tell the cat to do something and it will. A CAT. The most independent animal on the face of the Earth.

Science is not the only explanation for stuff. Dan Rationalists. *goes back to reading Thoreau*

"We have listened to you speak since the dawn of time, and we have learned to imatoot you exarktly."-The Simpsons

Necromancer: How DARE you imply that I was involved in a rude act with my undead servant! I will flay the flesh from your bones! I will summon a thousand maggot-ridden corpses to gnaw your flesh! I will trap your soul in-
Ghoul: My ass hurts.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: