EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Public schools have gotten this bad?
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 02-21-2002 10:23:19 AM
So I caught the link on the EC main page.
http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/metro/0202/0221failing.html

quote:

Only 41 schools have a place on Georgia's list of failing public schools. But that's because the standard was set so low that schools can avoid making the cut if as few as three of 10 children pass state exams.

Just...wow heh. I knew standards had been cut, but 3 out of 10? /boggle!

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Bane
BANNED
posted 02-21-2002 10:25:59 AM
its georgia what do you expect?
cout << "SCORE!";
Wily Kat to the Rescue!
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 02-21-2002 10:26:58 AM
^
Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 02-21-2002 10:54:57 AM
Bah ha ha. I bet you the state tests are also really stupid too.
Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
Maradon!
posted 02-21-2002 10:55:42 AM
It's not about education anymore, it's about making sure the kids feel good about themselves.

Soccer moms bitching thier kids way into honor courses they can't comprehend and get bad grades in, so they lower the standards in the honors courses so that everybody gets good grades and feels good about themselves.

Colleges are starting to offer pre-admission courses because kids are coming out of public schools with a nice shiny diploma, but the equivalent of a fiddler's fart between thier ears.

I shudder to think what will happen to these poor saps once they hit the real world.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, public schools are one big circle jerk.

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: Maradön? ]

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 02-21-2002 11:05:14 AM
It has more to do with the general ignorance and sloth that plagues students these days.
Heh, "these days." I sound like some crotchety old guy sitting on a rocking chair on the front porch, yelling at little kids playing in the street. "Pick up that ball, son! When I was your age they made us catch the things with our teeth! And things were better then!"
So anyway.

If they held back everybody who ought to be held back, about 16 people would graduate from any given high school ever year.

Obviously, this is not an option.

But sadly, instead of improving the students' abilities, they've lowered the students' goals.
It sucks.
And worse yet, each time the standards get lower, the students just get worse off.

At this point, high school diplomas are basically toilet paper.

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Maradon!
posted 02-21-2002 11:07:53 AM
I really don't mind.

The stupider everybody else is, the easier it is for me to succeed

Kanid
BANNED
posted 02-21-2002 11:40:05 AM
quote:
Bane had this to say about Cuba:
its georgia what do you expect?

Wasn't it Georgia where a school principal said it wasn't a requirement to be able to read and write to graduate high school?

"Unlike adults, children have little need to deceive themselves." - Goethe
Happiness is subjective, subject yourself to it whenever possible.
"A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams." - John Barrymore
Wise men still seek Him.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-21-2002 12:14:50 PM
I came from a fine public school. But I guess standards are a little higher in NJ.

At the same time, however, I notice the dropping of standards in my former school, as well. They've issued a new policy that every student will be put through calculus by the time they graduate.

In other words, pre-calc is no longer the standard, calc is. What this means is that they're going to have to dumb down the course material a LOT, because many people simply CANNOT grasp calculus easily. It's very difficult material.

This, compounded with the fact that half the students in calculus currently are only there because of their parents, not academic merit, just hurts the students all the more.

But oh well. I don't go there anymore; I don't plan on living there when I grow up, ergo I don't give a flying fuck.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 02-21-2002 12:31:35 PM
quote:
Maradön? had this to say about Pirotess:
It's not about education anymore, it's about making sure the kids feel good about themselves.

Soccer moms bitching thier kids way into honor courses they can't comprehend and get bad grades in, so they lower the standards in the honors courses so that everybody gets good grades and feels good about themselves.

Colleges are starting to offer pre-admission courses because kids are coming out of public schools with a nice shiny diploma, but the equivalent of a fiddler's fart between thier ears.

I shudder to think what will happen to these poor saps once they hit the real world.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, public schools are one big circle jerk.

For once, I agree. All I ever learned from public school is how to fake paying attention, and that people are 99% assholes.

Delphi Aegis
Pancake
posted 02-21-2002 01:28:54 PM
I thought this was appropriate:
quote:
After finding no qualified candidates for the position of principal, the school board is extremely pleased to announce the appointment of David Steele to the post.

Philip Streifer, Superintendent of Schools, Barrington, Rhode Island

Delphi
I walk in the Light
Facing the Darkness Boldly
I fear no Evil
Waisztarroz
I love democracy
posted 02-21-2002 01:47:42 PM
Wow, my school must be pretty good then. The dumb are still let in somewhat into honors classes, but I certainly don't see the teachers lowering their expectations. The honors classes still have their rigorous moments (For me at least, and then some moments are easy) and teachers offer a good deal of help, but they will not budge with difficulty. Heh, I hear people whine "I'm stupid" "I don't get this" and "I'm gonna fail" (In some people's minds, a C is failing) and then, well, they do fail.

My advanced algebra and trig class isn't honors, just more complex. I couldn't fit honors in my schedule and thus am stuck with a very unhappy medium. You see, Algebra 2 & Trig is an easier class, and Adv Alg & Trig Honors is for the bright and intelligent, but AAT itself is not really for anyone. I get the feeling it was created for parents who wanted to push their kids above where they belong or for the rare exception like myself for people who couldn't get into the honors version because of class restraints. Heh, I hear a lot of whining in there and many people do end up with Ds and Cs because they stopped trying.

Illinois, while it certainly isn't a genius state, seems to be holding onto its standards somewhat still. Also, I believe my school might be a little more challenging than others in the area. The lazy will still fail.

I wouldn't want it any other way.

And the standard for getting very high grades haven't gone down at all...I'm class rank 10 out of 614, and I don't think I'll get above 8 or so in the next two and a half years of school because...

School can still be very competitive for those of us who haven't given up and still try.

Yes, that's right, hot live sex!
There's a raptor behind you.
Resident grammar whore.
Warning, flames imminent!
Ferrel
Fippy's VP
posted 02-21-2002 01:57:55 PM
Georgia has the worst public school system you could ever imagine.

The people in charge of it, really should be shot. Not just shot, but pushed into a pit of broken glass and then shot. It was quite apparent that they have no grip of reality when it came to their schools.

Simply put, when I have children, they're going to private schools or I'm moving to a new state.

Ferrel!
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-21-2002 02:02:53 PM
You know, this has a lot in common with the various college bitching threads: one of the underlying assumptions is that it's society's job somehow to force children to learn.

That's crap. It's just as much an individual responsibility as it is the school's.

Anyone who says, "I never learned anything in school," is more at fault in the process than the school is.

The schools aren't dumbing down in an evil plot to rip children off--they're doing it under pressure from parents and from children who want the trapppings of education without the effort. They're doing it because parents think sports are more important than classroom studies. They're doing it because parents don't want their children actually to think, but rather to become indoctrinated.

And the whiney little kids who cry when they don't do well instead of trying harder, who bitch and moan and complain because someone else has something they don't, who insist upon receiving accolades simply for showing up (witness the lowering of SAT standards in the last decade), are accomplices.

The schools, in effect, are being held hostage by stupid people who don't want to pay the taxes necessary to provide the equipment, and want ideological control over the curricula as well.

Witness the huge upsurge in home schooling, lately. That has less to do with educational standards than it does with religious indoctrination.

This is no longer the 1800s, when an elementary school education and a trade skill was good enough for the vast majority of Americans to make their way in the world. Much as I hate unnecessary federalization, public schools are a prime candidate. It's simply no longer true that the necessary skills to succeed in life vary from county to county throughout America.

And it's certainly not true--if it ever was--that dipshit parents in various jurisdictions have the mental wherewithal to decide what's best in the way of education in their individual districts.

Nope. We need a core curriculum, and a basic set of standards, throughout the nation. Let the whiney parents decide what sports teams to pay for with their taxes, rather than fuck their children for the sake of saving a few bucks they'll only blow at McDonald's anyway.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 02-21-2002 02:02:58 PM
quote:
Ferrel had this to say about pies:

Simply put, when I have children, they're going to private schools or I'm moving to a new state.

TEXAS!

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Waisztarroz
I love democracy
posted 02-21-2002 02:06:05 PM
quote:
Bloodsage wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Some stuff.

You pretty much said what I did but made it more intelligent.

EDIT:Removed comma that would've implied "but made it more intelligent" is an independent clause.
Translation:Grammarwhorism

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: Waisztarroz ]

Yes, that's right, hot live sex!
There's a raptor behind you.
Resident grammar whore.
Warning, flames imminent!
Dordaur
Pancake
posted 02-21-2002 02:21:02 PM
I'm in a GA school. They're too damned easy. I don't bother doing any work except tests unless I don't already have what we're on mastered. Hence why I have 100's on every test, and 0's on every assignment throughout all classes this year except 14. I didn't even bother to take the final in 1 class, Gym. Yet, somehow, my grades are: Health: 83, L.A.: 62, S. Studies: 68, Spanish: 91, Alg 1: 76, and bio: 61. Keep in mind I have done throughout the year only 14 assignments.
Stuff.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-21-2002 02:22:24 PM
And you're proud of those grades why?

Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 02-21-2002 02:28:14 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Bloodsage was all like:
And you're proud of those grades why?

I was going to say the same thing, but didn't want to appear an asshole just before work and come back to a three page flame about me.

You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Alaan
posted 02-21-2002 02:33:47 PM
I'm also in Waisz's school, and standards are reasonably high. For the most part, kids are in the right class, but their are still exceptions. And for a few people there is more motivation, IE, the JROTC instructors, will get on your case if you are in ROTC and have bad grades. Other than that it's "If you want to fail, good for you."
Kanid
BANNED
posted 02-21-2002 03:08:01 PM
Home schooling has less to do with "religious indoctrination" than you think. I think you have a personal aggenda against religion and make it the cause of everything.

I think it has more to do the schools which allow themselves to be bullyed by the moronic parents and lower their standards, lower their teaching levels, and lower the interest level.

The schools are not challenging enough to the average student, never mind to the exceptional students, and don't require any learning to go to the next grade level.

I want my children to learn. I'm putting them in a private school (Montessori) so they will get a proper education by teachers who are paid well and care about teaching, not the bottom of the barrel of college graduates who can't get a real job.

Wise men still seek Him.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-21-2002 03:13:36 PM
I think you don't know what you're talking about, and vastly overestimate your ability to read my mind and divine my intentions, Kanid.

Look at a sizeable chunk of the homeschooling resources: they are religious in nature.

Feel free to bring up salient points when you disagree with me, but cease the lame attempts at character assassination in the process. You don't know me. You're not psychic. You certainly aren't Sherlock Fucking Holmes, Certified Genius, who can divine personalities and intentions simply by reading posts.

If you think I'm wrong, then prove it--without the uninformed commentary on my alleged motivation.

Peter
Pancake
posted 02-21-2002 03:28:33 PM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about Pirotess:
I came from a fine public school. But I guess standards are a little higher in NJ.

At the same time, however, I notice the dropping of standards in my former school, as well. They've issued a new policy that every student will be put through calculus by the time they graduate.

In other words, pre-calc is no longer the standard, calc is. What this means is that they're going to have to dumb down the course material a LOT, because many people simply CANNOT grasp calculus easily. It's very difficult material.

This, compounded with the fact that half the students in calculus currently are only there because of their parents, not academic merit, just hurts the students all the more.

But oh well. I don't go there anymore; I don't plan on living there when I grow up, ergo I don't give a flying fuck.

What School system did you Graduate out from? I Graduted From Brick Township Schools in 1999. The School at the time supposedly had one of the highest math ranking sate wide and even nationaly. They did this nifty thing of dumbing down the curriculem while "randomly" testing the brighter students to produce this result.

I find it a little odd now, I go to the local comunity collage, I kinda took off for the last two years by going part time, and not i have only about a year and half left their full time before i go off to a four year. And Lately I have seen lately been seeing alot of my ex-classmates on campus, all with the same story. they couldn't hack it in the four yars becuse They never Actully Learned what they needed in HS.

Solstyce
Vampiric pixie that might eat your face, if you're lucky
posted 02-21-2002 03:35:36 PM
And Ontario schools are swiftly rocketing towards that wonderful standard set here. Gah. Only six words to say: Thank the gods for alternative schools.
Shhh. Everyone will hear us. Everyone will know.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 02-21-2002 03:57:42 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Pyscho_Pike was all like:
What School system did you Graduate out from? I Graduted From Brick Township Schools in 1999. The School at the time supposedly had one of the highest math ranking sate wide and even nationaly. They did this nifty thing of dumbing down the curriculem while "randomly" testing the brighter students to produce this result.

I find it a little odd now, I go to the local comunity collage, I kinda took off for the last two years by going part time, and not i have only about a year and half left their full time before i go off to a four year. And Lately I have seen lately been seeing alot of my ex-classmates on campus, all with the same story. they couldn't hack it in the four yars becuse They never Actully Learned what they needed in HS.

I graduated out of Sparta Township Schools, a little podunk town in the Great White North of New Jersey. I was in accelerated classes for the most part, I did well enough without having to do insane amounts of work.

Probably half the kids I graduated with didn't even try a 4 year program, just dove headlong into community college, and I know several people (a good deal "smarter" than me, I might add) that couldn't hack it their first semester at school.

The difference between me and them? They relied on their powers of osmosis, I relied on my diligence.

I *want* to learn. I'm driven by the massive boner I get for learning, so to speak(as Maradon so eloquently put it). I easily spend 25+ hours a week outside to classes studying(and I'm only taking 5 classes this semester! :eek , but I don't mind. Beats the alternative by a whole hell of a lot. Plus classes progress so fast in college, so I can literally see my knowledge expanding from week to week.

Who's responsibility is it? Mine. Even though I go to a state university, I am held entirely accountable for maintaining my grades. Just because an institution is maintained by the state doesn't mean total accountability resides within the state. You get what you give.

I'm going to repeat that, because it's very important.

You get what you give.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-21-2002 04:05:55 PM
quote:
Solstyce wrote this then went back to looking for porn:
Only six words to say: Thank the gods for alternative schools.

Yes.

Kanid
BANNED
posted 02-21-2002 04:58:05 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about the Spice Girls:
I think you don't know what you're talking about, and vastly overestimate your ability to read my mind and divine my intentions, Kanid.

Look at a sizeable chunk of the homeschooling resources: they are religious in nature.

Strange, I've found none of this indoctrination that you speak of while searching for home schooling information for my children. My sister exclusively home schools her 4 children, and despite her over-zealousness for her religion (she's pentacostal) all the resources she's sent my way have been without any religious information or bent whatsoever.

From my extensive research into home schooling, and the actually schooling my sister has done, I've found none of this "religious indoctrination" of which you claim is the source of all the ills.

I'm lead to believe you are either looking in the wrong places (Self fufilling research?) or just spouting your biased presumption.

One of the largest programs for private schools and home schooling is the Montessori method. It has NO relgious ties whatsoever and is directed at EDUCATING. This is the purpose of schooling, no? If I wanted religious indoctrination, I'd go to church.

Wise men still seek Him.
Alaan
posted 02-21-2002 05:07:08 PM
Going back to the subject on "You get what you give," I understand. Not trying to be egotistical or anything, but I know I am very intelligent, and prove it with high test scores. Unfortunately...I pick up on the stuff we go over too fast, so I lose interest in it, which leads to not doing homework, which can hit the grade.

It may be different next year, or worse. I'm moving to a different school district which if I take their entrance test I'll probably score high, and get into honors/accelerated classes. But I'm not sure if it can compare to what our school which is much larger, and seems more advanced can do.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-21-2002 05:10:18 PM
Then if my understanding of the subject was incorrect, fuckchop, why didn't you just say so, rather than be an ass and speculate--quite wrongly and without the least shred of evidence--that I'm on some kind of vendetta.\?

Where the fuck do you get off making baseless assumptions like that?

Nor did I say that the materials themselves were part of any religious indoctrination, dipshit. Learn to read, and you might be taken seriously every now and again.

I know quite a few people who home school, and I have looked at many of the groups who sponsor such things. Many of the groups are religious groups. A good proportion (nowhere did I say "all" or "the majority," dimwit) of the people home school to avoid exposing their kids to nasty, destructive concepts like science, and to make sure their religious beliefs aren't challenged by that horrible "free thinking" that goes on in secular schools.

If you just can't resist being an utter moron in public, you could at least attempt some link--however tenuous--between the incident that sets you off and the topic you go off on.

Or, better yet, don't pick fights with strangers based upon your bullshit intuition about what they may or may not be thinking, or what they may or may not believe. You have no clue. I don't give a flying fuck about you, your religion, or what you're thinking.

Do me the same courtesy.

Kanid
BANNED
posted 02-21-2002 05:25:20 PM
Hey dumbass, you where the one who said "Witness the huge upsurge in home schooling, lately. That has less to do with educational standards than it does with religious indoctrination."

The "huge" upsurge has nothing to religion as you mistakenly presume, and your blatant religious attacks and instant offense at anything resembling religion don't require a clairvoyant to see through. Hell you make everything you disagree with an issue of religion even when it isn't a factor.

Grow the fuck up dimwit, if you aren't secure enough in your disbelief, that isn't my fault.

Despite your protestations, there is no religious conspiracy to avoid teaching science and free thinking. Quite the contrary, the people home schooling are just attempting to assure their children get a proper education. All my sisters' children test 2 grade levels higher than kids their age in ALL subjects.

Wise men still seek Him.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-21-2002 05:41:48 PM
Damn, dude, you even flame like a schoolgirl. Is there something you're not telling us?

Despite your weak protestations to the contrary, I'm not out to get you, your beliefs, your religion, or anything else.

I simply made an observation--with no mention of a conspiracy, by the way, but facts haven't stopped you yet--based upon what I had personally witnessed and researched in mainstream media sources.

Had you information to the contrary, fuckwit, the responsible thing to do, since no one, anywhere, had cast aspersions upon you or yours, would have been to provide facts to the contrary.

People of normal intelligence call that "conversation," or even "debate." You seem unable in either realm.

Instead, you chose a completely baseless attack upon me, not bothering to provide the least supporting data for your point--which wasn't even about home schooling, but rather about my personal motivation, of which you can, pretty much by definition, have no clue.

And I guarantee you aren't smart enough to divine it. That's abundantly clear, since you've not only never come close, but keep citing your personal stupidity as a mitigating factor whenever you get the worst of a debate. "Waah, Bloodsage isn't arguing fair, because he knows how to express himself! If only I could express an idea coherently, I'd win instead, waaaaah."

Well just fuck off. It's just short of embarassing just watching you rant on topics unrelated to anything said.

If you'd just get it through that dark matter you seem to use as a brain substitute that you don't know me, you have no possibility of knowing me, and you have neither the wit, training, or resources to make assumptions regarding my beliefs, attitudes, or motivations, you'd be much better off. And may find yourself in conversations rather than flamewars more often.

Just for your information, not that you seem mentally able to handle the truth, it's not religion that sets me off, but lame-ass attempts by amateur morons like yourself--hell, you haven't even the brains to be a professional moron--to substitute vague personal assessment for actual conversation.

See? Yet once more, you're shown not to have the least clue what you're talking about.

Kanid
BANNED
posted 02-21-2002 05:53:18 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about (_|_):
See? Yet once more, you're shown not to have the least clue what you're talking about.

Yep, I'm the dumbass who brought religion into a topic about public schooling just so I could flame religion due to my insecurities...oh wait, that assmunch was YOU!

And maybe you missed it, conveniently, twice, but I did post evidence to the contrary. Search for Montessori on the net, dipshit.

Wise men still seek Him.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-21-2002 06:02:27 PM
I'll type slowly, since you seem unable to comprehend the nature of my complaint.

You.

Provided.

No.

Evidence.

Until.

Challenged.

Dipshit.

You simply took an opportunity to insult me based upon your ill-considered, made-up, and downright unsupportable assertion as to my alleged motives.

I didn't "bring religion into the thread." I simply placed it as my personal observation--there have also been documentaries on the subject, too--regarding the upsurge in home schooling rates. I know quite a few people who home school--and every single one does it for religious reasons.

But that's not relevant. You weren't discussing the topic at hand, moron, but rather your own warped perception as to what my motivation is.

Which, you still seem unable to grasp, you have no way to know or to guess. Nor, even were there a way, are you qualified to do so, unless you're hiding psychology credentials somewhere you've neglected to mention.

So why don't you try to stay on subject, hmmm? You chose to turn the discussion to my personality, so you'll just have to deal with the consequences. Harking back to an irrelevant discussion with incorrect interpretations of quotations with no bearing on the fact that you're spouting bullshit about someone you don't know does you no good.

Fuckchop.

Kanid
BANNED
posted 02-21-2002 06:09:56 PM
You were wrong. Too bad you don't have the balls to admit it.
Wise men still seek Him.
The Last Strider
I will die alone
posted 02-21-2002 07:33:19 PM
quote:
Kanid wrote this then went back to looking for porn:
Wasn't it Georgia where a school principal said it wasn't a requirement to be able to read and write to graduate high school?
I hate living in Georgia.
"We have listened to you speak since the dawn of time, and we have learned to imatoot you exarktly."-The Simpsons

Necromancer: How DARE you imply that I was involved in a rude act with my undead servant! I will flay the flesh from your bones! I will summon a thousand maggot-ridden corpses to gnaw your flesh! I will trap your soul in-
Ghoul: My ass hurts.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-21-2002 08:13:42 PM
quote:
Kanid wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
You were wrong. Too bad you don't have the balls to admit it.

You really do need to learn to read, moron.

quote:
Then if my understanding of the subject was incorrect, fuckchop, why didn't you just say so, rather than be an ass and speculate--quite wrongly and without the least shred of evidence--that I'm on some kind of vendetta.?

And since when was your ranting about home schooling? You didn't correct my apparent misperception, you insulted me based upon your made-up characterization about my motivation.

An argument over facts would have been quite another thing altogether, but you chose not to argue facts, but rather my motives. Of which you can have no clue.

The fact remains that I'm not wrong with respect to my motives, and you are.

Why haven't you got the balls to admit that?

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 02-21-2002 09:16:19 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about (_|_):
You know, this has a lot in common with the various college bitching threads: one of the underlying assumptions is that it's society's job somehow to force children to learn.

That's crap. It's just as much an individual responsibility as it is the school's.

Anyone who says, "I never learned anything in school," is more at fault in the process than the school is.

The schools aren't dumbing down in an evil plot to rip children off--they're doing it under pressure from parents and from children who want the trapppings of education without the effort. They're doing it because parents think sports are more important than classroom studies. They're doing it because parents don't want their children actually to think, but rather to become indoctrinated.

And the whiney little kids who cry when they don't do well instead of trying harder, who bitch and moan and complain because someone else has something they don't, who insist upon receiving accolades simply for showing up (witness the lowering of SAT standards in the last decade), are accomplices.

The schools, in effect, are being held hostage by stupid people who don't want to pay the taxes necessary to provide the equipment, and want ideological control over the curricula as well.

Witness the huge upsurge in home schooling, lately. That has less to do with educational standards than it does with religious indoctrination.

This is no longer the 1800s, when an elementary school education and a trade skill was good enough for the vast majority of Americans to make their way in the world. Much as I hate unnecessary federalization, public schools are a prime candidate. It's simply no longer true that the necessary skills to succeed in life vary from county to county throughout America.

And it's certainly not true--if it ever was--that dipshit parents in various jurisdictions have the mental wherewithal to decide what's best in the way of education in their individual districts.

Nope. We need a core curriculum, and a basic set of standards, throughout the nation. Let the whiney parents decide what sports teams to pay for with their taxes, rather than fuck their children for the sake of saving a few bucks they'll only blow at McDonald's anyway.

You da man, Sage.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 02-21-2002 09:20:28 PM
'Sage... You rock.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 02-21-2002 09:23:01 PM

Cap'n Elethi
I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt...
posted 02-21-2002 09:47:58 PM
I learn things in school. I learn a lot of interesting stuff in school. I like learning, but for me, it has to be interesting, otherwise, I just forget it later.

I think, as a student, that some teachers should have more training. For instance, I have a totally inept Spanish II teacher. She doesn't really know what to do, and she isn't teaching us enough material either. We spent a week, a whole week, going over the numbers, in Spanish II. I think, that if this class went faster, and we had more homework, I'de learn a lot more, and have a lot more fun doing it.

I went to a private school 6-9th grade. I'm now in a public school. The main differences I can see are that the teachers are better versed over thier subject, and that they expect more, but they also teach more. I'm not super intelligent, but I'm no dumbass, and I think they could improve Honors and Advanced Placment classes. But there is a point where it gets a bit rediculus. I had an Honors US History class, and we had so much homework, most kids didn't even bother, in honors. It would have been a little better, if the homework covered different things, but it mostly went over the same stuff that the non-Honors class did.

If they improve any part of the school system, it should be the elementary, K-5 part. Kids need to get the basics of math, reading, and writing down. It really doesn't matter if you know the four ways to solve a quadratic equation. You can take a course on that in college (I'de assume anyways), but if you can read well, or write a decent paragraph, you are going to be seriously in trouble, in anything aside from flipping burgers. So I think we need to improve schools in the elementary part.

So, in a lame appemt to allude to what I was trying to say , elementary schools should be improved, with more teachers and individual attention for kids, and honors classes should be harder, but it shouldn't always mean more repetative homwork.

Elethi Rian, A Man Of Many Talents
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: