EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Anyone play Shadow of the Colossus yet?
Aaron (the good one)
posted 10-17-2005 11:51:13 AM
It looks really good. Pure boss fights and puzzles(I believe on the puzzle part). Graphics are AMAZING. I just want to know if it is worth picking up.

Delidgamond fucked around with this message on 10-17-2005 at 12:11 PM.

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 10-17-2005 12:13:31 PM
Heh, I'm an idiot. Aparently I confuse a six with an eight. And today is the 17th durrr.

Lechium fucked around with this message on 10-17-2005 at 12:14 PM.

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Aaron (the good one)
posted 10-17-2005 12:19:38 PM
ahh fuck so did I. Oh well I will bump this tomorrow!
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 10-17-2005 01:08:33 PM
I played the demo for a bit at Gamestop. I didn't get to fight a collossus, but just riding around on the horse and climbing some cliffs and stuff was amazing. I will have this game!
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Mike the Butcher
Pancake
posted 10-18-2005 02:25:06 AM
quote:
Densetsu was listening to Cher while typing:
I played the demo for a bit at Gamestop. I didn't get to fight a collossus, but just riding around on the horse and climbing some cliffs and stuff was amazing. I will have this game!

I'm pretty sure if you climb that cliff and run around up there a Collossus will come out that you can slay. Thats what happened in the demo I played anywho.

Rhiannah
WAI!!!
posted 10-18-2005 04:30:35 AM
Definately plan on picking this game up. The demo i played in PSM was just GORGEOUS. The fight with the colossus it had was pretty fun.

I'm an individual. Just like everyone else!

Lheena
Pancake
posted 10-18-2005 06:34:31 AM
quote:
Mike the Butcher had this to say about John Romero:
I'm pretty sure if you climb that cliff and run around up there a Collossus will come out that you can slay. Thats what happened in the demo I played anywho.

I found the Collosus and was all with the ridey around and run around to try and kill it... and I couldn't figure out how. ;_; I think I just suck that hard.

Formerly Gikk~
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-18-2005 11:42:56 AM
I'm going to need an svideo cable for my PS2. Composite looks like ass on the 2005FPW.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 10-18-2005 01:46:00 PM
quote:
Mike the Butcher had this to say about pies:

That's what I figured, since the sword was indicating that was the way to go, but I picked up the demo where someone else had left it, and I got dragged away before I could get to the top of the cliff.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 10-18-2005 03:49:48 PM
quote:
Lheena startled the peaceful upland Gorillas by blurting:
I found the Collosus and was all with the ridey around and run around to try and kill it... and I couldn't figure out how. ;_; I think I just suck that hard.

At least you'll be popular.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 10-19-2005 03:26:24 AM
It's a mixture of Ico, Tomb Raider, and Zelda. I'll be picking mine up later today.
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 10-19-2005 09:33:30 PM
It's actually pretty tricky, and fun, and enjoyable. I just beat the second Colossus, and it actually took a while to figure out what it took to kill the thing. Anyone know how many total colossi there are in the game?
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 10-19-2005 10:05:00 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Rodent King said:
It's actually pretty tricky, and fun, and enjoyable. I just beat the second Colossus, and it actually took a while to figure out what it took to kill the thing. Anyone know how many total colossi there are in the game?

I believe there are eight, but don't make me swear on it.

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-19-2005 10:05:46 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Sentow, Maybe said:
I believe there are eight, but don't make me swear on it.

Sixteen.

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 10-19-2005 10:09:35 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Mr. Parcelan!
Sixteen.

I was half right!

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Aaron (the good one)
posted 10-20-2005 12:11:19 PM
Two Colosi down!

Took me awhile as well to figure out how to get the second one down as well I couldn't find anything on its hooves yet the light kept pointing at it.

Willias
Pancake
posted 10-20-2005 12:12:06 PM
quote:
Delidgamond had this to say about Duck Tales:
Two Colosi down!

Took me awhile as well to figure out how to get the second one down as well I couldn't find anything on its hooves yet the light kept pointing at it.

So, is it a good game?

Willias fucked around with this message on 10-20-2005 at 12:12 PM.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 10-20-2005 12:20:42 PM
quote:
Delidgamond spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Two Colosi down!

You know this means I get to borrow Makai Kingdom now, right?

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Aaron (the good one)
posted 10-20-2005 12:21:42 PM
quote:
One thousand monkies on one thousand typewriters would eventually write what Willias said;
So, is it a good game?

Well, it's a great 1/8th of a game so far.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 10-20-2005 01:36:02 PM
It seems like it's really fun, but with 16 total bosses (Assuming there aren't any hidden ones) it could be really short. I beat the 6th one last night after 3 hours of playing. It's very fun and challenging mind you, so worth a rental at least. It also retailes at $40, so even though it's short it's worth it.
Aaron (the good one)
posted 10-20-2005 01:39:54 PM
I got mine for $40 Canadian because Future Shop (Best Buy owns them) fucked up on their price and listed it for $10 less than it should be
Gadani
U
posted 10-21-2005 12:49:51 PM
I just beat the fourth colossus (which was the easiest so far imo). It's a great game so far.

Also:

Ha ha!

Willias
Pancake
posted 10-22-2005 01:28:52 AM
quote:
Rodent King's fortune cookie read:
It seems like it's really fun, but with 16 total bosses (Assuming there aren't any hidden ones) it could be really short. I beat the 6th one last night after 3 hours of playing. It's very fun and challenging mind you, so worth a rental at least. It also retailes at $40, so even though it's short it's worth it.

There's also Time Attack mode, Hard Mode, and Hard Time Attack mode.

The game is meant to be played again.

For every two Colossi you beat in Time Attack mode, you unlock bonus equipment.

Edit: Oh, and since it wasn't included in the instruction manual (or at least I don't think it's in there), picking up fruit and silver lizard tails with the O button increase your max health and stamina respectively. You usually find fruit on trees that are in small scattered groups (not in forests) and you'll usually find silver tailed lizards at each save point scattered throughout the game world. Shoot em with your bow and pick up the goods.

Apparently, there's some secret place that you can get to if you have a ton of stamina, the path starts on the north east part of the shrine. I can't get up there though. D: Look for a bit of the wall that has viny stuff on it.

Willias fucked around with this message on 10-22-2005 at 01:33 AM.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 10-22-2005 04:33:15 PM
I picked it up today and started playing at about 11:30.

By 8 am, I had finished killing all the bosses.

Some were INCREDIBLY frustrating (Both dog collosi), some were just a test of how good your stamina is (Last two, god wtf!), and some were MOTHERFUCKING AWESOME. (Bird in the lake and the flying snake in the desert).

This game is ten billion kinds of pretty, even if the camera controls can be a pain to fight with sometimes.

Since I have saturday off from raids, I'm gonna go beat the snot out of all of them in time attack mode. D:

Aaron (the good one)
posted 10-22-2005 05:07:34 PM
I'm beating 1 boss a day. I'm get to fight the colossi after the bird one.
Willias
Pancake
posted 10-22-2005 09:44:27 PM
The final time attack bonus for normal mode is Explosive arrows.

They do pretty decent damage to the colossi, as long as you aim at thier weak points. However, you can't finish off a weak point unless you hit it with the sacred sword. They're fun to use, but I haven't seen much benefit to them, especially since you get a cape and a choice between 2 masks that increase the damage you do. Took the first boss out in two hits by accident, and probably could have done the same to the second. D:

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 10-23-2005 12:30:28 AM
quote:
Willias had this to say about dark elf butts:

They do pretty decent damage to the colossi, as long as you aim at thier weak points. However, you can't finish off a weak point unless you hit it with the sacred sword. They're fun to use, but I haven't seen much benefit to them, especially since you get a cape and a choice between 2 masks that increase the damage you do. Took the first boss out in two hits by accident, and probably could have done the same to the second. D:

Once you get the lizard and fruit locator, your pink circle and healthbar are insane. If it wasn't for Agro being dragged under the sand and bugging out somehow, I'd have the giant flying thing you have to arrow the under-bags on dead. Fucking horse.

Also, I believe I'm close to having enough strength to discovering what's at the top of that secret. Helps to jump at it from the horse (Gives you more initial height).

Willias
Pancake
posted 10-23-2005 02:16:18 AM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about Duck Tales:
Once you get the lizard and fruit locator, your pink circle and healthbar are insane. If it wasn't for Agro being dragged under the sand and bugging out somehow, I'd have the giant flying thing you have to arrow the under-bags on dead. Fucking horse.

Also, I believe I'm close to having enough strength to discovering what's at the top of that secret. Helps to jump at it from the horse (Gives you more initial height).

Apparently, the long, climb up-able path leads up to the outside of the front door of the shrine. Which allows you to go up some stairs and to the secret grove thingy that you get to see at the end of the game. I still haven't gotten up there yet, but apparently it takes a massive amount of stamina (the meter should fill up between 1/4 and 1/3 of your screen) to get up there.

Delphi Aegis
posted 10-23-2005 03:50:20 AM
quote:
How.... Willias.... uughhhhhh:
Apparently, the long, climb up-able path leads up to the outside of the front door of the shrine. Which allows you to go up some stairs and to the secret grove thingy that you get to see at the end of the game. I still haven't gotten up there yet, but apparently it takes a massive amount of stamina (the meter should fill up between 1/4 and 1/3 of your screen) to get up there.

Also, it seems when you beat all four modes (Normal, Hard, Normal Time attack and Hard time attack), and climb up there, you get to fight a 17th collosus which opens the way to the super wtfomg top of the temple (The castle above the garden in the end, I'm assuming). This is gonna take a while. I FUCKING HATE THE SIXTEENTH COLLOSUS.

Delphi Aegis
posted 10-24-2005 02:10:49 PM
quote:
Willias stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:

I defeated the normal time attack mode (Finally figured out how to get from the 16th collosus's right hand to his head without jumping), but I didn't get the arrows. I cry.

However, I figured out a minor bug.. if you climb up the wall to the first point where you transfer to a ledge instead of a vine-covered wall, you can jump up and regain your strength.. which, even after about 30 lizards and two and a half run-throughs of bosses (Omg, the pink bar's right side is off the screen now), I still got to the top with a spec left. D:

Willias
Pancake
posted 10-24-2005 05:21:51 PM
Make sure you killed all 16 bosses. If you missed one you won't get the arrows.

Also, getting to the secret spot, there's a bug with the game mechanics, and the game doesn't take the right amount of stamina for a diagonal jump. The secret is letting go of the R1 button right as you jump, and then pushing it again when at the peak of your jump. If you don't, you won't get much distance.

Gadani
U
posted 10-24-2005 07:59:30 PM
Just beat number 10.

That was a bitch.

Delphi Aegis
posted 10-24-2005 11:19:19 PM
quote:
Willias had this to say about Pirotess:
Make sure you killed all 16 bosses. If you missed one you won't get the arrows.

Also, getting to the secret spot, there's a bug with the game mechanics, and the game doesn't take the right amount of stamina for a diagonal jump. The secret is letting go of the R1 button right as you jump, and then pushing it again when at the peak of your jump. If you don't, you won't get much distance.

Yeah, I realized that you have to re-beat all 16 in the same play-through. I had one left (I was intensely frustrated with it) and just beat the boss with my WTFPWN strength and started anew. So I have to go through again. :/ Oh well. Not like the fights aren't FUN, if not challenging.

Willias
Pancake
posted 10-25-2005 12:27:57 AM
The items you get through time attack reset everytime you complete the game? (As in, I go through and kill all 16 bosses through time attack, and get all 8 bonus items, then go through and actually beat the game, save, and restart off that save.)

If so, that really sucks. D:

Delphi Aegis
posted 10-25-2005 03:07:09 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Willias stammered:
The items you get through time attack reset everytime you complete the game? (As in, I go through and kill all 16 bosses through time attack, and get all 8 bonus items, then go through and actually beat the game, save, and restart off that save.)

If so, that really sucks. D:

You keep any items you earned, but if you go through, defeat 8 bosses in time attack, get four items, then go through again after defeating them in the world and starting a new game, and defeat the other eight bosses, you won't get anything.

Flash arrows are fucking awesome. I'm goin' lizard huntin'.

Tier
posted 10-25-2005 07:57:23 PM
Definitely will pick it up, but I'm thinking to get ICO first.
Skaw
posted 10-25-2005 08:07:11 PM
quote:
Asha'man said this about your mom:
Definitely will pick it up, but I'm thinking to get ICO first.

The two games are entirely seperate from eachother. No reason to.

Unless, ofcourse, you want to play ICO.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 10-25-2005 at 08:07 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-25-2005 08:11:16 PM
Is this a buy or rent?
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 10-25-2005 08:25:04 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Mr. Parcelan wrote:
Is this a buy or rent?

Rent. First few bosses are killed in 3 hours of gameplay, and if you like it afterwards it's only $40 retail. If you get your fill from a weekend of the stuff though and don't want to do the extras, save $40 for something else.

Talonus
Loner
posted 10-25-2005 08:33:29 PM
quote:
So quoth Skaw:
The two games are entirely seperate from eachother. No reason to.

Unless, ofcourse, you want to play ICO.

I wouldn't say they're entirely seperate. If you've played ICO, you'll understand the story/ending of SoC much better. Afterall, its hinted that the Wanderer is reborn as ICO during the ending of SoC and the sacred sword is the same in both games. I'd definitely say the games are linked, though its not necessary to play one to get the other.

quote:
This insanity brought to you by Mr. Parcelan:
Is this a buy or rent?

Definitely a rent right now, unless you have a bunch of spare cash. Its not very long, under 10 hours for the main game, so its not worth $40. Maybe pick it up sometime down the road if you really want to buy it.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: