EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Chapter One: In Soranil's Wake
Willias
Pancake
posted 12-28-2001 03:04:37 PM
Aust grabs his ears in reaction to the shrill noises. "Gah" he whispers, and looks for the thing that made the noise.

"What was that?" he thinks to himself.

Aust looks over to the elves, dwarf, and fellin. "Finally!" he thinks to himself "A sign of civilization... I wonder if they have any food or a place to rest to spare."

Aust walks up to the few people. "Um, hello." he says with a friendly smile.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-28-2001 03:48:49 PM
ooc:
And now the five of you are all in the same camp
Willias

At this range, you can see the figure that ducked out of your sight before. A half-human woman lies motionless, resting against the wheel of one of the three cage-topped wagons, much like those used by a traveling circus to transport animals. However, you see no animals in the cages, no horses to pull the wagons, and no campfire to take the chill of the night air. Only two elves, a fellin, and a half-human gathered together, and closer to you, the dwarf standing by himself holding two axes in his hands.

And dead bodies. Four dead lizardmen adorn the site. Two are charred to cinders, while the others lie prone. The four other individuals seem to have gathered around one of the lizardman bodies, while the other body lies between you and the dwarf. Beside the dwarf's feet you notice a pile of equipment, including a generous supply of traveling rations.

Ruvyen

You hear the voice of a young man issue from behind you. It says, in a very friendly manner, "Um, hello." From the delicate intonations, the voice probably belongs to an elf, and can have originated no more than a few paces behind you.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Ruvie's Alt
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
posted 12-28-2001 05:38:56 PM
Upon hearing the voice, Khazmon turns around to glance at the being behind him, gripping both axes tightly in his hands. He sees a humanoid man, although he doesn't pay enough attention to detail to discern his race. His grip on his axes loosens at the sight... But only a little.

"Well... THIS is a weird situation..." Khazmon says, obviously rather confused.

"Uh... Can someone tell me just what the hell's goin' on here?"

Willias
Pancake
posted 12-28-2001 08:02:54 PM
Aust looks down at the dwarf with slight fear in his eyes. "Sorry friend, I don't know either. All I remember is that flashes came from this direction, and it seems that this is where the light came. But... maybe that is the answer to your question."

Aust looks down, and sees the rations by the dwarf's feet. "Pardon me friend, but do you have any rations to spare? I have been traveling and been lost for several days now, and am extremely hungry."

Aust puts his hands on the ground and begins to sit down, but before he gets completely seated, he stops for a moment and thinks, "Oh yes, pardon me friend, I almost forgot, may I know your name?"

Taylen
Pancake
posted 12-28-2001 08:21:15 PM
Taylen decides not to wake the half elf and folds his bedroll shifting her just enough to allow it to cushion her head and goes to see if he can retrieve her bag

Taylen shifts the body of the lizard man and tugs on the bag

"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd." - Tom Lehrer.
Sadomasochism: It's Fun!
Taylen Ashenbow
Rangers never run we mearly stratigically retreat.
Thats not a train thats a pull, my trains are always much bigger.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-28-2001 08:46:25 PM
Taylen

The long days have not exhausted you as they have your traveling companion. With a few solid heaves, you manage to roll the dead beast over on its chest, and pull the bag free. It has a bedroll attached to it in much the same way as your own, though the straps have been cut loose and retied, transforming the once-backpack into a shoulder bag suitable for the lizardman's size.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Ruvie's Alt
posted 12-28-2001 09:57:26 PM
"Me name's Khazmon," he says to the man, "And aye, there's some stuff to spare. There's about 3 more days worth o' rations in the wagons, along with some other supplies. I also found some weapons."
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-28-2001 10:11:34 PM
ooc:
Introducing...
Falaanla

These last few days on the road haven’t been anything like you expected. Mostly, they’ve been rather dull. Not a single traveler passed by. You’ve been traveling through these woods without a clue of your destination. For all you could tell, you might even have been going in circles! If only you had a map, or a scrying ball. Gilikor could scry, why oh why didn’t you learn to? Instead, you were lost in the woods and living off berries, and if not for little Ithar, you wouldn’t even have had that. Today you spent as much time following Ithar around as you did trying to find your own way.

It was around sunset when Ithar came back, with something shiny in its beak. “What’ve you got there?” you asked, expecting no answer beyond a chance to see something that wasn’t a berry. “Coin!” came the reply. You nearly fell off the branch you had settled on, “Who said that?” “Me,” came the reply, “me, me, me, little me!” It was the word ‘little’ that brought you to your senses. “Ithar? You can talk?” “No,” your companion replied, though you were quite sure the words came from the little magpie. “You can talk! Why didn’t you tell me you could talk?” The bird chirps, dropping the coin. Excitedly, you scoop up the bird, “Talk again!” It chirps. “Maybe I’m hearing things,” you sigh, putting Ithar down. “Hear me!” you hear, again coming from Ithar. This time you were sure. “Ithar, can you talk or not?” “Nope.” “Well, then how can I hear you?” “Think,” came the magpie’s reply. “No, really, tell me.” “Think!” “Awe, come on, tell me. Pleeeeease?” For a moment, you heard nothing except the sounds of the wind through the trees. “Me think,” the bird said finally, “you hear.” As the sun sets over the treetops, it finally sinks in. “I can hear you thinking!” “Yep,” Ithar replied. “Is that a familiar thing?” “Yep.” “What’d you say about a coin?”

“People!” came the bird’s reply.

Once again, you were following your bird, but this time it had promise. Ithar led you to the edge of the woods, where you perched atop a tree. From your hiding place, you could see a bit of commotion below. You could see three odd-looking wagons and a cart of supplies. There was a half-elf woman with fiery red hair, two elven men and a fellin woman standing about chatting, rather loudly at times. Two large lizard-like creatures were lying prone, and a comfortably short and somewhat rotund fellow whose race you’d not seen before was busy gathering things into a pile. A third elf wandered over along the line of trees, apparently catching the rotund fellow by surprise. Two large hunks of overcooked meat lie on the ground near the trees. The half-elven woman appears to have gone to sleep.

The sky has gone dark now, and it’s getting rather difficult to see any further than the tips if your toes. You could sure use some of that food though.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 12-29-2001 12:10:17 AM
Saeessira looks to Ithar, almost drooling...

"I...I bet they have food, Ithar..."

Saeessira then smirks, and starts to whisper, so only she and Ithar can hear...

"Maybe it is time to start to use some of these powers that I used to scare Mom with... Maybe...maybe I can make them think that someone is coming to try to take their camp...Yes! Thats it! Then we will go sit in the camp...I can even slice a bit of my clothes, take a bit of mud..."

Ideas swirl through Saeessira's mind, as to how she should tackle this "Challenge".

"They could...be bandits" Saeessira thought to herself, "But then again, I am really hungry..."

She then almost shouts in excitement, but tones down her voice, not wanting to attact any attention to herslef

"I've got it, at least I think so...lets hope this works..."

Saeessira then starts to wave her hands a bit, and speak in hushed tones, as she thinks about creating a sound of a small raiding party of bandits, coming from inside the forest...sounds of a few men talking amongst themselves, and walking slowly towards the camp that she sees...

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-29-2001 12:20:20 AM
Falaanla

The spell works like a charm. The sounds you strive for appear, very faint at first. Low, rustling footsteps, spaced slightly apart, and low murmurs of four voices; three male, one female. The voices are intermittent, as if conversing among themselves.

Ruvyen and Willias

You hear low and indistinct murmurs in the bushes, though too low to make out any words, and the sounds of footsteps rustling somewhere beyond the thick outer row of trees and foliage at the forest's edge.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 12-29-2001 12:37:21 AM
Saeessira smiles, as she hears the sounds come from the forest...She then hovers out of her tree, and down to the ground in front of the tree. She then sits down and starts to cry in pain, hoping that she is able to draw some attention to herself...

Saeessira then thinks to herself "I hope that those people in that camp aren't bandits...I don't have much to lose, though. Maybe they will bring me back and give me some food..."

Saeessira continues her cries of pain and holds her outstretched leg, as she keeps watch on the camp, hoping someone comes to check the sound...

Willias
Pancake
posted 12-29-2001 08:23:07 AM
"Ah, thank you friend, er Khazmon, my name is Aust Siannodel. I think I will go get one of those spare rations now." Aust says with a smile and walks off to a wagon, checking the contents inside.

Aust stops and backs off of the wagon. "What was that?" He pauses for a moment and listens to his surroundings. "What the hell is making that noise..." He looks over to the dwarf. "Khazmon, do you hear it as well?"

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 12-29-2001 12:41:39 PM
"I can't see Twin Moon" She whispers to Tay in Elvish. Looking about some more, Freya puts her hand to her muzzle and gives off a short, shrill sound. The sound she has been training her friend to come to her. Freya's tail twitches slightly, as she stays still to see if her attempt worked.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-29-2001 01:09:06 PM
Ruvyen & Willias

There is a new sound, this one closer. A high-pitched voice, like that of a little girl, cries out. It is closer and louder than the low rustling and murmurs you first heard a moment before. However, for a brief second, the feline's shrill whistle manages to drown out both other noises.

Group

From the trees overhead, an owl swoops down, grazing over your heads before perching on the fellin woman's shoulder. It gives two quick hoots, hops a couple times to secure a comfortable perch, then hoots again.

Ruvyen

With all this sudden noise, it his difficult to keep track. A child crying out, that fellin woman's ear-piercing whistle, and now an owl hooting away provide enough clamor that you can no longer make out the low rustling that at first reached your ears.

Aanile & Taylen

Twin moon seems more excited than usual, though with the events of this evening it comes as no surprise. Nonetheless, between the owl's hoots you can hear another cry. It sounds like the bawling of a small child, possibly a little lost girl. Without further information, it is hard to tell.

Willias
Pancake
posted 12-29-2001 03:41:46 PM
Aust covers his ears, the loud shrill whistle hurting his ears. "Ow, ow, stop ringing..." he whispers to himself. Aust looks up. "AHHHH" he screams as the owl buzzes above his face. He looks over and watches as the owl perches on the fellin's shoulder.

"Great!" he says. "Almost get hit by an owl, loud whistle hurts ears, strange noises from a bush, and some kid screaming." He pauses. "A kid screaming?"

Aust begins to search for the location from whence the cries came. "Somebody has to be hurt... now if I can find that somebody!" he whispers. "I don't know where to look though..." he says. Aust yells, "Hey if someone is hurt out there, I'm looking for you..." he pauses "Shout out where you are... or something!"

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-29-2001 04:17:01 PM
ooc:
Now for the other one.
Drakkenmaw

Your first day on the road was mainly uneventful. Traveling along an earthen road through fenced-in fields of wheat and rice, the trail was smooth, and much easier than you were used to. The travelers you passed paid you little heed, and you had no real interest in stopping to chat anyway. Before nightfall, you had gone beyond the farmlands, and finally set out your bedroll for the night by the roadside, amidst the tall grasses, and under the shade of a large and leafy tree.

The rustling of grasses awoke you, though what you saw when your eyes opened was a complete shock. The creature’s humanoid form appeared only slightly smaller than your own. With the darkness, you could discern no more detail, nor did you need to. Its voice told all you needed to know. “Friend or foe!” it snarled in a deep, rasping tone. “Show your mark or be done with.” “Do not threaten me,” you replied flatly.

“He does well with his tongue,” a whisper came from beyond your sight, “a rare thing for his kind.” “Indeed he does,” a lithe female voice answered, “and such a state has not oft been seen in these parts for as long as I can recall. Step away, young ones, and out of sight. I would speak to it alone.” The shadowy figure standing over you faded from view, replaced shortly after by a shorter and more slender form. “Rise slowly, stranger, and bare your shoulders. There are foul goings on, and we have need to know your allegiance.”

After a moment, you nodded, and rose to your feet. Pulling back your cloak, you revealed that which they requested. The response came in hushed voices, but few words too quiet for you to discern. “He has the mark,” the woman began. The harsh, whispered voice from before cuts in, “He wears it, yes, but what of the location? On the wrong side, at the wrong height, and what’s more, his up is down!” “I don’t trust him,” replies the deep snarl, “there is too much at stake.” “This is not the time to be making new enemies,” the female voice added. “We’ve enough on our plates as is.” “He certainly defies expectations, whoever he is,” came the whispered voice, followed by comments too well hushed for your ears. A low growl escaped the large one’s throat, but that, too, was soon hushed. “We will take our chances then. Tell him nothing that we cannot risk. We shall move ahead. Find us along the way.”

The female remained, and after a moment, lit a torch. She was elven, and dressed in leather garb. Her voice came to you in the most silent of whispers, and despite her stepping near enough to fit no more than blades of grass between you, it took all your ear’s talent to listen. “If you have love of the land and the creatures within it, meet us at the crossroads of wood and earth, a day’s way east of here. Spread word to no one, not even in confidence, for there are spies about. Our enemies, as we, have ears in the earth.” With that, she handed her torch to you, and stepped behind the tree beside where you stood. You turned to follow, but she was gone.

Had you any knowledge of which way was east, you might have taken her advice. As matters stood, however, you had only one way of following the woman’s directions, and that was to follow her trail. While the tall grasses hid her tracks, you smelled the air, and managed to find the scent of beings you recognized. The odor came from a fellin’s fur, and after a moment’s thought, you decided to follow.

The trip took you a night and a day, but their trail had not grown cold until now. A wall of trees lies in the distance, and as the sky grows dark, the smell of burnt flesh overwhelms your nose.

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 12-29-2001 10:03:42 PM
Freya studies the movments ov her owl, trying to desifer what has her all worked up, along with trying to see if she's seen anyone about who might have done this.

The child's cry reaches her ears, they flick. "Some one's crying..." I mension to Tay, again in elvish.

Drakkenmaw
Crunchy, tastes good with ketchup
posted 12-29-2001 11:25:07 PM
OOC - My first actual in-character post for the entire campaign, and I miss a major point in my introduction post - therefore making me think I'm at the exact WRONG point on the peninsula. This does not bode well for me.

IC - Drakkenclaw Steeltalon glared at the trees with distrust. The land he was now in was odd enough, with the strange plants that grew underfoot all around and the great gardens which he passed often. It was like a great oasis, stretching from horizon to horizon. "Plains," he remembered they were called, "Great producers of rain-blessed lands." They still felt very odd to walk on.

Compared to the great barrier of trees that faced him, however, the plains were places of great comfort. They at least were open. The trees shadowed everything beneath them, and from the lizardman's vantage point it seemed all light dissappeared to darkness. This was no set of neat rows, as the great gardens behind him had. This was "forest," and it could be very dangerous. The library had covered forests very briefly in description, then proceeded to spend chapters on their perils.

Still, both possible paths led in that direction. Drakkenclaw had discovered which way was East the moment the sun had risen after the night he had been told of the strange proposition, but preferred to follow the tracks of those who made it in order to more closely observe them before accepting their appearances as true. Individual members of any species generally do not survive long blindly following the directions of others from an unknown "pack." But the trail went the same direction, as was to be expected, and now had ended on the outskirts of the trees.

Drakkenclaw paused for a moment, gazing into the blackness under the shifting green of the leaves. Then, he started walking towards it. After all, the entire reason for this journey was to experience things he could not in his desert isolation. Danger counted as an experience, though every teaching of Obad-Hai was against his present actions. Wild creatures should not willingly enter danger without a definite reason - some relief from the needs of a natural life.

In response, the lizardman sniffed the air again. The smell of seared flesh filled his nostrils once more; such an aroma, if any of his instincts still held true in these lands, promised either a cooking fire or a recent battle. They both promised food.

Thus, his teachings sated, Drakkenclaw began to walk slowly and stealthily towards the source of the odor. If any creatures were around, they'd be heading for the smell as well. Any survivors of the attack would also be on alert, and from the events of the past days they would be most alarmed by the appearance of anyone from his race. Not that he blamed them. Most importantly, though, he did not wish to be caught if the thing he was approaching was the camp of those he had stalked so long and so far. They did not seem to give trust to him easily, and would respond significantly less well if they discovered him now.

As he walked, the lizardman pulled his monk's hood over his head. It would at least serve to hide his form from a distance.

OOC - Or it would have if he had thought to hide his tail as well.

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Drakkenmaw ]

Taylen
Pancake
posted 12-30-2001 09:02:51 AM
Taylen listens carefully to the soft noise and goes off looking for it afraid the lizard people may have had more captives then he had first thought

(OOC I won't be online sunday night so I won't be able to make anymore responses till Monday night at least)

Taylen Ashenbow
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 12-30-2001 09:26:00 PM
ooc:
Now the players have been introduced, the scene is set, and the plot thickens into a tasty stew (yum), I'd like to say that the campaign has gotten off to a very good start. Thank you for your enthusiasm, and I hope things continue to go as smoothly (or nearly so) as they have up to now.
Drakkenmaw

There is little light in the night sky, and as you approach the camp, you find that your eyes provide little warning of any potential dangers. You can barely make out the wall of trees a distance before you. No fires or other lights break the darkness except the stars.

A shrill whistle catches your ears, and you realize that it comes from only a short distance off. A moment later, you hear a male voice call out, "Hey if someone is hurt out there, I'm looking for you! Shout out where you are, or something!" The voice does not match any of those you heard the other night.

Taylen & Willias

The crying leads you towards the edge of the trees. Between the two of you, you manage to pin the source of the child's cries down to a small area (20 ft across x 25 ft deep, reaching 15 ft deep into the woods). Further searching might pin it down further.

Aanile

You cannot discern any particular cause for Twin Moon's excitement. Certainly this evening has been an eventful one already, so the owl's behavior is no surprise.

Drakkenmaw
posted 12-30-2001 11:13:13 PM
Drakkenclaw paused for a moment, listening closely. Then he continued onwards, speeding his pace. It had completely slipped his mind that the survivors of an attack would be wounded.

As he went forward, his mind raced as to how he could help. He was no healer, however, and all those he knew were back in the Order. He could do nothing for them.

Then an idea struck him. That whistle had echoed through the entire area, most likely. Although for now he was acting as a scavenger, the actions of any carnivore were simple to anticipate. The smell was enough to prompt scavengers like those he was imitating to attempt entry to the area, and with the noise of the still-living echoing through the air any nearby predators would be rushing towards the scene hoping for a quick and easy meal. Plus, any scavengers who arrived first and found living-yet-wounded creatures would quickly become predators.

So he could stand guard, protecting those inside the camp from outside it. If need arose he could protect them, and if not he would be safe from their eyes until they rested and he could sneak a meal without risk of notice.

Suddenly, his foot locked to the ground as the soft murmur of Wyvernscale's voice rebuked his decision. Come now, pupil, it said with the faint rumble of a disdainful growl, You are as much a natural creature as the beings you attempt to explain. So why are you not doing the same as they? It is not befitting of a follower of the Shalm to deny his animal nature.

Slowly, Drakkenclaw shook off this voice and began moving once more. He had left the Order, seeking a truth more pure than the tainted teachings of those twisted or enslaved souls. Their laws, their teachings, should have no more hold on him.

The lizardman's step was noticably slower as he continued on towards the maze of trees. But he continued on.

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Drakkenmaw ]

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 12-31-2001 05:43:58 PM
Freya sighs as she fails to figure out if Twin Moon saw anything. Feeling the strain of not haven rested in a long while, she sits next to the sleeping half half elf, knowing Tay had fone off to inspect the noice.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 12-31-2001 06:45:46 PM
Saeessira sits, propped against the tree and still holding her "injured leg", and hears a shout asking where she is...

"Well, they COULD be bandits...but...its worth the risk..."

Saeessira then yells: "Over here!"

Willias
Pancake
posted 12-31-2001 07:14:33 PM
Aust looks at Taylen. "Ok, so she is in here somewhere?"
Aust begins searching the trees for the for the source of the cries. Poking his staff around trees and looking around to see if he hit anything. "Maybe those sounds I heard were just my imagination." He puts his hand on the bottom of this thin chin and pauses in deep thought. He begins to walk back to the camp.
Taylen
Pancake
posted 12-31-2001 10:21:48 PM
Taylen continues searching until he hears the cry then heads directly for it

Taylen wonders what a wounded girl is doing so far from the wreckage if she was part of the caravan and if she wasn't then what a girl is doing out here at all

Taylen Ashenbow
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 01-01-2002 01:47:18 AM
ooc:
New Years Eve parties seem to be the only ones I actually enjoy. Maybe it's because the people I go with don't actually get drunk.

More on topic, for those of you who have a concept of the magpie, I'm redefining it a bit. For the purposes of this campaign, the magpie is a relatively small bird, slightly larger than a sparrow.

Willias

Maneuvering through the trees with so little light proves very difficult. There is no moon out yet, nor will there be until after middark, and what little light the stars provide is further reduced by the trees. You trip once or twice, but manage to recover without difficulty each time, and return to the camp with no further injury than a stubbed toe. Just as you reach the tree line, you notice the other elf who aided your search pause beside you. At your feet appears to be a small girl, with a shoulder bag and pale-colored wings.

Taylen

As you make a slow bee-line for the call, you manage to pass it by entirely, and have to double back before finally narrowing it down to its source. A small girl, possibly 2 feet tall, is seated at the base of a tree, holding her leg. She has on a pretty gown with split sides for easy walking, a shoulder bag beside her, and a pair of pale-colored wings folded behind her.

Falaanla

You can hear the rustling of the grasses and shrubbery around you, though for a moment it almost seems that you will not be found. Then you manage to make out the outline of two distinct figures, both tall and slender, standing over you on opposite sides.

Drakkenmaw

By the time you notice the wagons, it's too late. You find yourself hardly more than 20 paces from one of them. There appear to be several people around, as you can discern motion, and it is difficult for you to determine if you have been seen or not. The grasses here reach just above your knees.

Ruvyen

You and that elf you travelled with for two days seem to be the only ones not preoccupied. The half-elf and fellin have now both settled in to rest, and the two elves who have managed to arrive here by their own feet are distracted following the cries of what sounds like a little girl. And that elf, who it seems even the half-elf doesn't like, is too dazed by her fit of anger from a few moments ago to be of much use. So, more likely than not, you're the only one who has noticed the rather large, shrouded figure approaching through the waist-high (on you) grasses.

Aanile

As you settle down to rest, Twin Moon perches atop the wagon nearby.

Drakkenmaw
posted 01-01-2002 02:27:46 AM
OOC - Argh... I had hoped to have a memorable entrance, but it's hard to be especially literary when you've just stumbled like a blind man straight into the camp.

IC - At this point, there was nothing left but one option. The lizardman might have been detected, yet could not risk direct contact. Not at the present moment, not with wounded. There must have been an attack - no caravans ever camped without a fire to drive off the sand-mites and frighten the larger predators. And if his experiences in these strange lands were any indication, the attackers were more likely his own kind than any other.

No, he must try and wait. Wait for the anger of the assaulted to cool, wait for the fighting response to ease away. To do otherwise would force a confrontation, one which might make all his attempts at good will worth nothing.

Turning slowly, with as little excess motion as he could manage, Drakkenclaw eased himself into a crouch, then slowly sought to lower himself still flatter. He must get below the level of the only cover, and simply hope that none had witnessed him. Yet movement was still dangerous, for it might attract attention, and therefore the lizardman sought to quiet his entire body past the smooth, slow, sliding motion needed to shield him. He stilled his breath, stilled the tremors in his body, stilled the fear of discovery which fought to make him flee wildly off. I must channel the serene stillness of the lizard under the circling hawk's eye. I must not move more than necessary. I must become an object on the earth, and shed the form of living being.

Slowly, almost imperceptibly, he began his torturously long descent. He could now only hope for the luck of the rains.

OOC - Yes, I know I'm discovered. But Drak doesn't know that, and is hoping that even if he was the movement will be taken as imagination rather than an actual approaching figure.

Not the brightest of fellows, I know you're saying. It's a flat field - no cover, no disguise. I know, too. But he thinks it's worth a try.

Ruvie's Alt
posted 01-01-2002 03:18:38 PM
Khazmon sighed. All the noise gave him a headache. He began to wonder if he'd ever get back to Vista alive.

Suddenly, something caught his eye- Something moving. He turned around just in time to see... Well, uh, something, crouch into the grass. He had no idea whether it was real or imagined, but decided to watch that general area, just in case.

Taylen
Pancake
posted 01-01-2002 08:12:35 PM
Taylen looks down at the girl concerned "Are you alright?"
Taylen Ashenbow
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-01-2002 09:09:32 PM
Saeessira looks up at the elf...

"Y...you aren't a bandit, are you?"

She then sighs...

"I...I saw the campfire wover there when I was travelling through the forest, and I have not eaten much of anything but berries and small fruits and such for the past couple days. I thought that maybe someone that was there would share some food that they had with me...

Saeessira then looks behind her, then back to the elf

"Then I heard some...noise come from the forest. I don't know just what it was, but I ran, as fast as I could...and then I tripped, and hurt my leg..."

Saeessira then says...

"How silly of me, I did not even introduce myself. My name is Saeessira... I am what some like to call "Daysprite"...

She then looks up

"And what might your name be?"

Taylen
Pancake
posted 01-01-2002 09:13:37 PM
Taylen bows softly to the daysprite "I am Taylen Ashenbow and no I'm not a bandit"
"Can you walk?"
Taylen Ashenbow
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-01-2002 09:24:55 PM
Saeessira smiles, and then says...

"I...can try, I don't think it is too serious..."

She then slowly stands up, and then falls back against the tree...

"Or maybe not. I hope it feels better in the morning... I would try to fly, but that would also mean I would have to land"

"I'm sorry if I am causing you any trouble Sir..."

Reyolen
Wanders too much for a custom title
posted 01-02-2002 11:23:58 AM
ooc: I would like to apologize for not being able to post, and I'll be active as soon as possible. As I'm not sure how to all of a sudden post without messing anything up just now, I'll wait until I can be active. Sorry for any trouble this might cause, I'm sure to be back in a week, (i hope.)
Taylen
Pancake
posted 01-02-2002 01:00:58 PM
"No trouble at all Saeessira. Would you be offended if I carried you back to where the others are?"
Taylen Ashenbow
Drakkenmaw
posted 01-02-2002 01:23:50 PM
OOC - I don't think you can "mess something up" at your current position. Just "snap out" of the shocked trance you're currently in and act as your character would if he'd just been insulted.

It'd be better to post sooner rather than later, if you can manage it. The longer your character remains frozen, the more out-of-character that action is.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-02-2002 02:24:15 PM
"No, Taylen, I would not be offended. I do appreciate your kindness, thank you..."
Taylen
Pancake
posted 01-02-2002 04:26:35 PM
Taylen kneels and picks up the daysprite finding her even lighter than he expected and taking her back to camp

Taylen muses to himself "Hmmm interesting night"

Taylen Ashenbow
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 01-02-2002 04:50:23 PM
ooc:
Reyolen, your nearly perpetual absense up to this point has proven problematic. You have missed important information, along with cues to which your character should have reacted. If I do not see an improvement soon, there will be repercussions.
Taylen

Your traveling companion has curled up by the half-elf's feet, and is now sleeping soundly. The owl she calls Twin Moon is perched atop the wagon, directly above the half-elf's head.

Falaanla

"Coins!" you hear Ithar say. The little bird flits over the head of the elf carrying you, then turns and disappears into the grasses near the pudgy fellow whose race you still do not recognize.

Ruvyen

You can see no more signs of the movement which caught your eye a moment ago. The grasses appear to be broken by a large lump, possibly a rock or a pile of dirt from some animal nest. It might have been there before, though you didn't notice it until now.

After a moment, a small bird pops out of the grasses by your feet, carrying one of the gold coins you left scattered on the ground. It flits off to a nearby tree, places the coin on a branch, then returns. A few seconds later, this process repeats. The bird's behavior seems quite odd.

Taylen
Pancake
posted 01-02-2002 08:26:25 PM
Taylen lowers the sprite beside the halfelf and Freyja

Taylen looks at the corpses and wonders if dragging them away or moving away from the area would be easier before the stink becomes overwhelming or attracts unwanted attention

Taylen Ashenbow
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-02-2002 08:59:42 PM
Saeessira smiles

"Thank you, Taylen...

But wait! Where is Ithar? Is he still back there? You know, Ithar, my little magpie familiar? Did you see him?"

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: