EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: New Confuser
Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 03-12-2013 07:02:11 AM
quote:
Bloodsage was naked while typing this:
Absolutely! The desk will be delivered Saturday afternoon, so I should be set up by evening.

Wedding presents...are congratulations in order?

Thanks. April 12th is the day, we both can't wait for the day to finally get here. All the prepping, saving and organizing is mind blowing. Gave us both a new respect for any of our friends who are planning and paying for their own wedding.

We're waiting until after the wedding to get a new desk, so right now I have an aging warped desk I built a few years ago with scrap wood and parts from an older desk.

I can't wait to reorganize this room.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-12-2013 08:53:28 AM
I hear you--that's why we did the Justice O' the Peace thing way back in the dawn of time when we got married.

That's awesome news--all the best to you and your better half.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-14-2013 09:08:51 PM
Okay, got the stuff (except for monitors), and will probably build the beast tomorow or Saturday. WTF happened to CPU fans, BTW? There were only 2 choices on Newegg for LGA 2011, and that monstrosity next to the Win7 box was the only one not rated sucktastic...are the i7 six-cores that hot?

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 03-15-2013 02:55:06 AM
The high-end models of Alpenföhn or Thermaltake are usually the way to go when it comes to CPU fans.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-15-2013 08:06:05 AM
Also if you're not overclocking then the fans that come packaged with retail editions (not OEM editions) of Intel chips are perfectly adequate. They don't suck balls like they did a decade ago.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-15-2013 08:55:51 AM
It's probably just weak search-fu on my part, but damned if I could find a version of that chip on Newegg that came with a fan or heat sink.

It's X-Box huge, LOL:

Edit: there were lots of options if I didn't buy an LGA 2011 chip, though.

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 03-15-2013 at 08:56 AM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-15-2013 09:44:23 AM
Well on the plus side your chip will run wonderfully cool (if installed correctly, some of them can be a total bitch) and it'll assist in airflow through the case.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-15-2013 10:01:56 AM
That chip is gonna be like Fonzie.

You know what Fonzie is like?

He's cool.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-15-2013 04:04:43 PM
Is 1920 x 1080 going to look okay at 27" for a monitor? The higher-resolution ones are half again as much....

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 03-15-2013 05:02:36 PM
It should look perfectly fine, though you might have to fiddle with some graphics settings to get it centered or put on the screen properly. A lot of video cards are going for those ridiculously high resolutions for benchmarking and still getting 60+fps, so you should be fine performance wise as well.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-15-2013 05:14:25 PM
Thanks. 1920 x 1080 isn't that much more than I'm currently running on a pair of 21" monitors, so I was afraid it wouldn't be very sharp doing desktop things. But I don't really want to spend $700 each on the WQHD ones, either. Even I have my limits for tossing money around.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-15-2013 07:40:57 PM
quote:
Bloodsage said:
Even I have my limits for tossing money around.

Could you claim this through the military as a valid work expense for fulfilling your paperwork?

The amount of crap I've claimed (and got away with) through my various businesses is scarily astounding.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-15-2013 09:29:58 PM
quote:
Mortious startled the peaceful upland Gorillas, blurting:
Could you claim this through the military as a valid work expense for fulfilling your paperwork?

The amount of crap I've claimed (and got away with) through my various businesses is scarily astounding.

They already pay pretty generous rates for travel...and not going to jail is about my only remaining career goal.

Oh, and I totally lied: just got back from the store where I picked up a couple of 27" WQHD monitors. Once I'd seen them side-by-side with the lower resolution, there was no longer much choice. Damn it.

On the bright side, it's going to be one helluva setup when I get everything situated. I'll probably feel obligated to buy a skull-shaped island and continue start plotting to take over the world just to do it justice.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-15-2013 10:41:42 PM
Only a pair? Doesn't that card support 3 monitors?
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-15-2013 10:50:11 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Random Insanity Generator squealed:
Only a pair? Doesn't that card support 3 monitors?

I'm sure it does, but desk space quickly becomes a LIMFAC with those things. I'll probably barely have enough as it is.

nem-x
posted 03-15-2013 11:35:06 PM
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-16-2013 12:45:23 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
I'm sure it does, but desk space quickly becomes a LIMFAC with those things. I'll probably barely have enough as it is.

Free arm mount at the corners of the desk for Monitors 1 and 3, Center free arm mount or wall mount for Monitor 2.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-17-2013 02:30:05 AM
Build went pretty smoothly...except for that one part where I didn't connect any power to the Blu-Ray drive. Booted first time.

Now the long slog of driver and Windows updates. Pics later.

Nifty feature: the mobo's Bluetooth doofer lets me play music from my iPhone to the computer speakers remotely. It's making the aforementioned slog much more tolerable.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-17-2013 02:31:20 AM
quote:
Quoth nem-x:
You stole my computer

That's hilarious! Great minds....

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: