EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: x-com
nem-x
posted 10-03-2012 02:20:16 PM
I have a free Civ 5 copy to give away on steam for preordering this. First one that wants it gets it.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-03-2012 02:48:16 PM
I'll take it. Thanks.

Edit: Also, this.

Karnaj fucked around with this message on 10-03-2012 at 03:19 PM.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

nem-x
posted 10-03-2012 04:26:49 PM
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 10-04-2012 08:22:16 PM
Neat, the new Enemy Unknown? Deth's looking forward to that. I'm laying claim to Dishonored while he's busy fighting aliens.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-05-2012 05:34:03 AM
Too many games to play, not enough time.

Damn me for being an OCD'ing completionist.

nem-x
posted 10-05-2012 12:00:12 PM
Add me to your friends list you butt
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 10-06-2012 01:29:30 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Mortious wrote:
Too many games to play, not enough time.

Damn me for being an OCD'ing completionist.

Tell me about it, especially in October. There's Dishonored on the 9th for me and X-Com for Deth, then there's a new Professor Layton game on the 28th (STFU those games are great) and then ACIII and Liberation on the 30th.

I took the last week of the month off work, though, so I'll have plenty of time to indulge in AC.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-06-2012 03:16:00 PM
Games I still have to complete:

• Rage.
  • The Darkness II.

Games I haven't even started yet:

• Game of Thrones (the good one, not Genesis, that was shit).
  • Syndicate.
  • Wing Commander Saga.
  • Lyinar Ka`Bael
    posted 10-10-2012 01:30:44 AM
    Deth liked Syndicate. It wasn't everything and a bag of chips, but he did say that it felt close to the original.

He also has been enjoying the new XCom. He says it even fixes some of the issues with the original. We took today off to play our respective games.

I like Dishonored. I'm still trying to get the hang of being non-lethal, but once I got to the area where I have powers, it got easier. The first person is taking a little getting used to for me. I've played non-first person for so long.

Lyinar Ka`Bael fucked around with this message on 10-10-2012 at 01:31 AM.

Blindy.
    Suicide (Also: Gay.)
    posted 10-10-2012 11:03:02 AM
    I should be able to play this sometime around, oh, december.
    nem-x
    posted 10-10-2012 06:59:57 PM
    Don't start out on ironman because there are a lot of nuances that you will need to know to avoid losing your entire squad in one turn. Chrysalids
    nem-x
    posted 10-11-2012 12:26:34 AM
    After like 5 quick matches and 3 ranked matches, I have found that every enemy will field at least one or two plasma snipers.

Which results in sweet shotgun to their face

Peter
    Pancake
    posted 10-11-2012 05:09:46 AM
    quote:
    nem-x had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
    After like 5 quick matches and 3 ranked matches, I have found that every enemy will field at least one or two plasma snipers.

Probally cause campaign plsama sniper in right cover with squad sight will just kill ever fucking thing there is.

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 10-11-2012 09:02:06 AM
    I'm either having bad luck or the game is quite buggy.

The tutorial gets stuck sometimes in firing mode and won't let you do anything else and the tanks you make sometimes just vanish.

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 10-12-2012 04:01:08 AM
    Yes indeed I definitely like this game.

That's the first all-night gaming session I've had since.. well I can't even remember the last one I had. It's 9am and I asked the nice lady who delivers the post to call me Commander.

What's everyones setup? I'm finding that 2 x Assault, 2 x Support, 1 x Sniper and 1 x Heavy is a pretty good mix. I'm just now getting into Psi training. Half the squad with lasers, the other half with plasma, all with titan armour. I'm finding my limiting factor isn't money, but rather weapon fragments and alloys. NEED MOAR UFOS.

nem-x
    posted 10-12-2012 11:30:53 PM
    Don't do ranked multiplayer if you care about your w/l ratio because it is incredibly buggy. Pretty much every other match I will have a turn that I'm unable to do anything, or every move counts as a dash, or an ability will disappear from my skills.

Started a classic ironman after beating the game on normal. (Fifth retry because those early missions are killer.) Was definitely prepared for the terror mission this time. Bring all your grenades and rockets since getting fragments is the least of your concern. I managed to get 4 laser rifles in time.

One of my members laying face down in a pool of their own blood in front of the semi after getting off a good grenade throw.

And a fitting nickname

I am steadily losing the panic level fight though it's so ridiculous. I rushed satellites and uplinks from the get go and a lot of countries are orange/red.

nem-x
    posted 10-13-2012 03:43:32 PM
    Just before this, I took out 3 floaters with a rocket and two chryssalids with double tapping sniper. Moved my guys up to the front line without revealing more territory, and out comes another patrol. Shitting my pants because there wasn't a reveal cutscene where they can only move for the turn.

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 10-13-2012 08:14:50 PM
    Enemies popping up from untriggered spawn points as you walk over them is a noted bug.
    nem-x
    posted 10-13-2012 08:51:31 PM
    I don't think they spawn on top of you like many people claim, I think it's just how they patrol. When you use battle scanner on unrevealed enemies, you can see how they teleport from one point to another.

Also destroying this classic ironman run. No deaths and no countries have left the council. It's pretty much exploiting the game mechanics. You get a free overwatch shooting gallery on reveal because they are the ones walking into you instead of the other way around. It does take a ridiculous amount of turns for each mission though. Three turns after every small engagement to rotate my reloads and overwatch duties while waiting for the noises to come closer.

And snipers and heavies are very much the key to success.

nem-x
    posted 10-14-2012 01:04:55 AM
    Two of my heavies about to have a field day.

Awwww yeahhhhh.

Peter
    Pancake
    posted 10-14-2012 01:08:15 PM
    the capstone ability on the snipers for shot not costing action if you kill guys in no cover just eats up floaters and drones. add archangel armor and just park you sniper up way high and nearly godlike.
    nem-x
    posted 10-15-2012 09:52:36 PM
    Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 10-16-2012 06:07:46 AM
    Nice!

I wish the game would've been a bit longer, but it was nice seeing my very first psi trooper be the volunteer on the temple ship. Felt right.

All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: