EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: eBook readers
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 07-30-2010 03:53:26 PM
It helps that I read maybe 1 book a year.

Also helps if it has lots of colourful pictures.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 07-30-2010 06:46:49 PM
Speaking of "reading material" *wink,wink,nudge,nudge*

Ran into a pubstomp group in L4D2 the other day. All of them had furry pr0n sprays. After 2 maps I think "Shit, this team is getting fucked. No... wait... furries... shit, we're being yiffed."

Why does this shit randomly go through my mind.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Steven Steve
posted 07-30-2010 06:54:50 PM
Do you want a serious answer?
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 07-31-2010 12:29:14 AM
Probably safer if I didn't have one.
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-31-2010 12:57:03 AM
I love the Android OS hate I'm seeing. What is this crap about having to use a "Start Menu type interface"? The Android interface is just as easy to use as an iPhone, if not more so. You pull up a menu and move your apps to the main screen. Along with that, you can have various widgets there. You can add radically different homescreens (such as SlideScreen, for example). Hell, you have the awesome notification bar at the top of the screen that beats the pants off of what the iPhone offers -- pull it down and you can actually see all the notifications RIGHT THERE.

I had an iPhone for 2 years, then moved through a few different Android devices -- a HTC Hero, a Samsung Moment, a Motorola Droid and now a Motorola Droid X. none of these behave all that much differently than the other as I'm seeing in this thread. They all behave relatively similarly to one another.

As for the Droid Incredible and Droid X being proof that "Motorola sees their customers as hostile entities"? Are you a fucking retard, RIG? The Droid Incredible is an HTC product, for one. The stuff about the Droid X bricking itself if people try to hack it? Also been proven false -- the initial rumor gained a shitton of steam when someone leaked that information, and multiple people have proven that it was just that -- a rumor. Hell, the phone was rooted shortly after it came out! And they're getting close to being able to get custom Bootloaders on there. The whole eFuse shit was WAY overblown.

But no, the OS does not play "RADICALLY different" depending on the hardware. The only big difference is the skin that some company puts over it, and said skin does not change the functionality all that much. HTC Sense is fairly close to vanilla Android functionally. It doesn't have "crippling" things on top of it. The worst "offender", Motoblur, is on low end phones that'd run Android like crap anyways, with or without Motoblur. The Motoblur stuff that IS used on the Droid X is easily eliminated (I had it all gone and didn't have to deal with it 5 minutes after I started using my phone). It is entirely too easy to get rid of the "crap" on any of the phones if you don't want it there.

Android OS is damned nice and, for those who are willing to tweak their OS a bit to fit what they want, it is far superior to iOS. That isn't to say iOS is crap -- it is quite good and, when considering phones straight out of the box, is superior. The power and functionality of Android OS comes from the modifying and changing of the various OS elements to fit what you want to do with your phone. So basically, if you want it to work better out of the box and don't want to tweak stuff, go iPhone. If you can tweak a bit, go Android.

Oh, and for those looking for something iPad like that don't like iOS -- Android tablets are in the pipe and should be out by the end of the year.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 07-31-2010 at 12:59 AM.

Steven Steve
posted 07-31-2010 02:01:05 PM
When will we be at the point when cell phone calls will be indistinguishable from face-to-face conversation in clarity?
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Timpofee
Mancake
posted 08-02-2010 12:09:00 PM
I, personally, am waiting for the Droid "IPad Killer" that has been in the works since before the IPad came out. It was their first design but the company that was to be working on the hardware scoped themselves out due to some questionable Apple Marketing. There is talk that the hardware developer in question instead took the collaborated Ideas and worked with them/selling them to other companies once the Ipad was announced.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 08-02-2010 10:13:25 PM
Ars Technica

Setting brand arguments and the like aside, here's a particularly good read on the subject of tablet/slate computing.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 08-02-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Maradon!
posted 08-02-2010 10:40:41 PM
It's a good thing I posted this thread, I had no idea that a new kindle was coming out in August and you guys were so hot over your tablets that you only barely managed to suggest so.

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS. I totally don't want to stop posting for another two years anymore.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 08-02-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 08-02-2010 10:48:11 PM
quote:
Maradon! attempted to be funny by writing:
It's a good thing I posted this thread, I had no idea that a new kindle was coming out in August and you guys were so hot over your tablets that you only barely managed to suggest so.

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS. I totally don't want to stop posting for another two years anymore.

Given your expressed interest in the Kindle, I assumed you knew; can't speak for anyone else.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Steven Steve
posted 08-03-2010 09:09:32 AM
Does the new Kindle have proper .pdf, .txt., .doc, .djvu, .htm, etc. support or do I have to jizz all over Jeff Bezos's face again?

Steven Steve
posted 08-03-2010 09:14:41 AM
And by proper I mean can I just copy the files directly over by USB or something to my Kindle and not have to hassle with all the bullshit

Maradon!
posted 08-04-2010 08:43:21 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Steven Steve booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Does the new Kindle have proper .pdf, .txt., .doc, .djvu, .htm, etc. support or do I have to jizz all over Jeff Bezos's face again?

I don't even know but improved .pdf support is listed as one of the reasons they are coming out with a new version.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: