EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Webcomics
Greenlit
posted 04-18-2010 09:36:21 PM
She gets pregnant and has his baby, iirc
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 04-18-2010 10:30:07 PM
quote:
Greenlit obviously shouldn't have said:
She gets pregnant and has his baby, iirc

(1) Comic taken out of context it was presented in.

(2) She does not. She winds up smashing him in the face with a hammer and running away.

(3) No he couldn't have "faked it". As was explained in a previous comic the matrons of the clan would check if "the deed was done" and if it wasn't, she was to be executed (which was the original "fate she was saved from"). Do something horrific to "save someone from death".. which is the bigger evil?

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Greenlit
posted 04-18-2010 10:54:59 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator's fortune cookie read:
which is the bigger evil?

c) writing a webcomic in which one character has to rape another and present it as the objectively morally correct decision

Greenlit fucked around with this message on 04-18-2010 at 10:55 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-18-2010 11:01:17 PM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
(1) Comic taken out of context it was presented in.

It looks like a context in which rape is presented as a justifiable, moral choice.

Steven Steve
posted 04-18-2010 11:56:27 PM
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 04-19-2010 01:35:53 AM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about Knight Rider:
c) writing a webcomic in which one character has to rape another and present it as the objectively morally correct decision

and when viewed through a moral black-and-white stance being an accomplice to murder is any less heinous?

Defend it or hate it, just present it in full.

So what other comics do people read?

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Steven Steve
posted 04-19-2010 06:56:20 AM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator had this to say about Duck Tales:
and when viewed through a moral black-and-white stance being an accomplice to murder is any less heinous?

So what other comics do people read?

Well let me put it this way, would you rather I bladefuck your mom or rape your anus? You have 5 seconds to decide.

Unless your mom is dead, in which case it'll be your dad. If he's dead, your infantile siblings, or whatever

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Greenlit
posted 04-19-2010 09:13:57 AM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator impressed everyone with:

Do you understand that he is the author of this comic? It is by his will and his will alone that the characters were put into that situation, and he had the opportunity at any time to stop and go "Wait, am I fashioning a situation in which rape is morally justified?"

Terrible people like this faggot and the faggot at CAD don't realize that they lack the talent and ability to write about serious things like rape and miscarriages.

Raping one of your characters or forcing one to miscarry isn't a go-to button for Serious Drama. You can't interject these things into your little adolescent haw-haw joke-a-day serials and suddenly exclaim "LOOK! I'm a serious author! Worship me!". It just makes you out to be a bigger douche bag than everyone already knew you were.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-19-2010 10:16:03 AM
Not liking a comic is okay. Stating distaste for a comic is okay. But the crusade is a bit much. We're all just trying to be helpful.

I started reading Runners when I saw the artists' booth at a convention in Las Vegas. Not heavy on humor but the story's pretty good, as is the artwork.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-19-2010 10:38:46 AM
I recently discovered Zuda. It's a website that hosts several different comics. Most only go 8 pages, but the contest winners (click on "read") keep going.

While it may be moot to bring them up, I figure mentioning a few big-name strips couldn't hurt. For anyone with a 9-5 office job, Dilbert is a good pick. Giving the selection at Comics.com a quick look might be a decent idea as well.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-19-2010 01:46:06 PM
quote:
So quoth Greenlit:
the faggot at CAD

Alright. Here's the thing. I know Tim. Not well, but well enough to get annoyed when you take these jabs at him. Could you please stop, or at least do this in another thread instead?

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 04-19-2010 at 01:55 PM.

Nina
posted 04-19-2010 04:21:54 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Ghost of Forums Past!
I know Tim.

My condoleances.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-19-2010 04:25:02 PM
It's not a crusade to criticize a comic, albeit a little harshly.

Sean is absolutely right; rape and miscarriage are very serious issues capable of an intense amount of drama, but they need to be handled obscenely well. The thing about DD and CAD is that they aren't. The rape is considered something good and honest, if regrettable. The miscarriage is something that the female character is forced to apologize for later.

It's tremendously freaky.

Ghost of Forums Past
Pancake
posted 04-19-2010 04:33:00 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Nina stammered:
My condoleances.

Again, please stop.

Ghost of Forums Past fucked around with this message on 04-19-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Maradon!
posted 04-19-2010 07:10:34 PM
It's a lot easier to say awful things about a person's work when you do not know them personally.

This doesn't make your opinion of their work any less valid, though.

nem-x
posted 04-19-2010 07:28:35 PM
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 04-19-2010 11:46:40 PM
Maradon!
posted 04-20-2010 12:00:38 AM
The endless supply of absolutely hilarious miscarriage jokes spawned by CAD's melodrama kinda puts the lie to the whole "too serious to make a comic about" argument.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: