EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I need a new IM client.
Number 1 Poster
posted 09-12-2009 06:04:25 PM
You're all dumb
Greenlit
posted 09-13-2009 01:12:17 AM
the car analogy is pretty terrible

there are a lot of other factors involved with a car

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-13-2009 01:39:25 AM
i really want a japanese designed browser i hear they last longer and are cheaper to repair
Greenlit
posted 09-13-2009 04:07:29 AM
does chrome have any advantage in foot pounds of torque?

i know firefox has better mpg, but IE kills everything off the line

Greenlit fucked around with this message on 09-13-2009 at 04:07 AM.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 09-13-2009 06:19:50 PM
quote:
Gadani needs to learn to type:
But the argument about your cars doesn't really apply to web browsers. Like Maradon said, it loads a page a couple tenths of a second faster, at best.

A more accurate "fast car/slow car" analogy would be this: Someone has a car with a maximum speed of 100 miles per hour. This person already has this car. If he wanted to, he could drive to the next city over and obtain a car (for free) whose maximum speed is 100.1 miles per hour. Why would he do that when he already has the 100 mph car? Most people just aren't interested in that extra 0.1 miles per hour.

Yes because firefox and chrome are only .1% faster than ie.

Maradon!
posted 09-13-2009 07:55:05 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Blindy. booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Yes because firefox and chrome are only .1% faster than ie.

That is actually the case, though.

Blindy.
posted 09-13-2009 08:08:22 PM
quote:
Maradon! likes to say stupid stuff like:
That is actually the case, though.

Not really, no. more like 20-40% faster depending on how much javascript is involved.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-13-2009 08:20:57 PM
chrome is pretty much substantially faster but it's not really my problem if you don't care/notice
Maradon!
posted 09-13-2009 08:40:52 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Blindy. who doth quote:
Not really, no. more like 20-40% faster depending on how much javascript is involved.

You're talking about a difference between 0.7 seconds and 0.21 seconds. The difference is so minor that even in aggregate it amounts to very little more than a different feeling. People aren't sitting around waiting for their pages to load in MSIE.

I don't understand why you just can't get around the idea that other people might not value the same things in a web browser that you do.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 09-14-2009 03:18:28 AM
People who don't value the same things that I do in the same way that I do are wrong.

I'm not even joking.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-14-2009 11:01:09 AM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Maradon! absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
You're talking about a difference between 0.7 seconds and 0.21 seconds. The difference is so minor that even in aggregate it amounts to very little more than a different feeling. People aren't sitting around waiting for their pages to load in MSIE.

I don't understand why you just can't get around the idea that other people might not value the same things in a web browser that you do.

Just for fun, I downloaded Chrome and did a little local test. There is no difference; the biggest factor for me is a slow internet connection. The browser is irrelevant in terms of wait times.

And I really hate Chrome's interface.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-14-2009 11:19:03 AM
To each his own. Chrome's interface was one of its biggest selling points for me over Firefox
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 09-14-2009 12:09:09 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Bloodsage:
Just for fun, I downloaded Chrome and did a little local test. There is no difference; the biggest factor for me is a slow internet connection. The browser is irrelevant in terms of wait times.

And I really hate Chrome's interface.

What exactly did you test?

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-14-2009 12:30:16 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Blindy absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
What exactly did you test?

Browsing the intarweb, using the handful of sites on which I spend the most time.

Except for the icky interface, there was abosulutely no difference.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 09-14-2009 12:57:11 PM
quote:
Loosely translated, Bloodsage says "Kill the whales":
Browsing the intarweb, using the handful of sites on which I spend the most time.

Except for the icky interface, there was abosulutely no difference.

yes, "icky". I know where you're coming from- it's hard to get used to at first. People who are used to IE would be better served going with Firefox than Chrome for a nice easy transition.

Anywho, you're gonna see the biggest difference on sites that use a large amount JavaScript- like google reader, or gmail, or flickr, or pretty much any new "web 2.0" site, not so much on forums or news sites- stuff like that.

But yes, having a slower connection is going to make the difference much harder to see because so much of the time is spent on downloading content rather than compiling JavaScript and executing it. Both Firefox and Chrome are 2-4x faster than internet explorer 7 and 50-60% faster than internet explorer 8 on that. And they are both much more secure.

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Nina
posted 09-22-2009 06:30:22 PM
Blindy.
posted 09-22-2009 06:48:40 PM
I saw that earlier- it seems like (this is a bit confusing) that it only works if the target site puts something in their code to trigger it.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: