EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: WoW UI
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 01-10-2009 11:01:31 AM
better UI.

Greenlit
posted 01-10-2009 11:19:27 AM
quote:
Bricktop had this to say about Knight Rider:
I thought you were dead. We had a funeral. It was nice. Everyone came.

I forgot we have special events this weekend. My world is pain.

quote:
nem-x is gay had this to say about Cuba:
We weren't on the same server, and I did my role better than any other Hunter I grouped with.

Again wrong on all accounts.

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 01-10-2009 11:45:45 AM
That sucks. I've got to work later today, too, because one of my coworkers is a fucking faggot that got fired.

I tried to level your Warriors but I kept getting disconnected. I got them to almost 44 before I got tired of constantly relogging in three characters and making a group and putting Punitor on follow and oh god it was annoying.

Bricktop fucked around with this message on 01-10-2009 at 11:46 AM.

A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
Maradon!
posted 01-10-2009 12:52:45 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Falaanla Marr booooze lime pole over bench lick:
I fucking hate that health bar where they are on Kegwen's thing. They get in the way.

I much prefer the top-left health bars.

Yes, let's maximize screen real estate to an absurd degree, but then put gigantic UI elements directly in the middle.

Blindy.
posted 01-10-2009 01:47:57 PM
Having them nearer to the center is important for pvp and raids, it puts them in your range of focus when you're fighting. Top left means you've got to look away from whats going on to check your health.

Of course, you play on a pussy-carebear PVE server, so maybe you never need to look at your health.

Maradon!
posted 01-10-2009 01:51:37 PM
There is as much serious PVP on PVE servers as there is on PVP servers.

Ganking isn't serious PVP.

And for what it's worth, giant health bars near your character would obscure approaching rogues or other melee characters. Compare that to the absolutely trivial fraction of a fraction of a second that it takes to dart your eyes over, or the zero seconds that it takes to check your peripheral vision without moving your eyes.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 01-10-2009 at 01:53 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-10-2009 02:53:31 PM
pvp is dumb

if I wanted a PVP UI then I would make one

Addy
posted 01-10-2009 02:58:43 PM
For DPS in general I like having the health bars in the lower center. Lets me keep an eye on my health, runes/energy, and cooldowns without having to focus on the top corner as well.

Healers seem to be different, I think most prefer the traditional upper left corner.

Blindy.
posted 01-10-2009 05:59:58 PM
quote:
Maradon!'s ass must be crazy:
There is as much serious PVP on PVE servers as there is on PVP servers.

Ganking isn't serious PVP.

And for what it's worth, giant health bars near your character would obscure approaching rogues or other melee characters. Compare that to the absolutely trivial fraction of a fraction of a second that it takes to dart your eyes over, or the zero seconds that it takes to check your peripheral vision without moving your eyes.

Compare the chance of a rogue small enough to hide in the tiny amount of screen real estate my health bars take up sneaking up behind me and having my health bars block their approach to the actual disadvantage of having to take my eyes off my target in order to check health? OK, I've compared. Your way sucks, my way is better.

Blindy.
posted 01-10-2009 06:02:42 PM
But no, you're right, after I moved my bars from where they started I totally thought "man that was stupid I better move those back up to the top left because this doesn't help me at all" and then I didn't.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-10-2009 08:24:14 PM

I play horde on a different server now, but eh.

I'm a big fan of letterbox UIs, so I made this one with skinner, ag_unitframes, bartender, squeenix, and a slew of fubar addons.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Peter
Pancake
posted 01-10-2009 09:26:28 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Addy:
For DPS in general I like having the health bars in the lower center. Lets me keep an eye on my health, runes/energy, and cooldowns without having to focus on the top corner as well.

Healers seem to be different, I think most prefer the traditional upper left corner.

When I heal on my pally I focus the tank and shove his box to the middle of the screen and enlarge it a bit, seems to be easier to retarget him if I have to heal someone else or if I am judging the pulls at all.

CBTao
Pancake
posted 01-11-2009 12:59:10 AM

Oh Shit! bar along the bottom.

edit: image shack can be lame.

CBTao fucked around with this message on 01-11-2009 at 01:00 AM.

Greenlit
posted 01-11-2009 02:35:27 AM
why are your buttons so big
Addy
posted 01-11-2009 03:08:17 AM
i don't really use image shack so hopefully i got this right --

hotkeys are a little different for PVE

CBTao
Pancake
posted 01-11-2009 03:09:08 AM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
why are your buttons so big

half a joke, but I left them that way.

There is a bit of an infamous forum troll on Icecrown that had a giant button of the pvp trinket like, in the middle of his screen.

I made that bar in honor of him, its my oh shit bar, to pop my instant ass savers when I needs em, and easily see the CDs on them.

As long as my buttons didn't exceed the height of my chatbox and combat box there, figured it was worthwhile.

Nina
posted 01-11-2009 04:18:15 AM
quote:
nem-x had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
best ui

[xIMG]http://www.nem-x.com/i/WoWScrnShot_012008_042140.jpg[/IMG]

That's ugly.

Peter
Pancake
posted 01-11-2009 09:40:07 AM
quote:
Nina had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
That's ugly.

What Mod gives you the HP and mana/rage/Rp Hud like that?

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 01-11-2009 10:19:11 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Blindy. wrote:
Compare the chance of a rogue small enough to hide in the tiny amount of screen real estate my health bars take up sneaking up behind me and having my health bars block their approach to the actual disadvantage of having to take my eyes off my target in order to check health? OK, I've compared. Your way sucks, my way is better.

That isn't English.

Sorry, but WoW wasn't developed with PvP in mind. I hate to point out the obvious, but there it is. WoW was more like, "Oh, shit. We've got PvE in place, but there's a huge group that hates us for controlling the PvP, what are we going to do with them? Let's allow them to do some insignifigant combat and give them extra honor.

Sorry, but PvP takes a backseat to PvE in every aspect of World of Warcraft.

A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
Blindy.
posted 01-11-2009 10:58:17 AM
The only reason to play on a PVE server instead of a PVP server is that you're scared of PVP.
Greenlit
posted 01-11-2009 11:01:08 AM
No not really.

I've come to prefer the BGs and Arenas on PVE servers to the ones on PVP simply because the fucking children on PVP servers are goddamn retarded. Say what you will about the average WoW pubbie in a group or battleground, but if you're on a PVP server they're going to be even worse; louder, stupider, and even more obnoxious.

World PVP died with Burning Crusade, anyway. There was a sense of balance until BC's massive stamina gear hit, then it went all out the window.

Maradon!
posted 01-11-2009 11:22:28 AM
Did you miss the part where I pointed out that there's as much PVP on PVE servers as there is on PVP servers?

Ganking isn't serious PVP. It isn't really even PVP at all because "versus" implies some sort of conflict and being attacked by three fourteen year old kids while you're at 20% health killing a quest mob is hardly a conflict, and yet that is the only new experience that PVP servers have to offer over PVE servers.

Being on the other side of that scenario really isn't any more fun unless you have a minuscule, hair-like penis and have to go around compensating. Even then, what exactly does it teach you? What mad skillz do you gain?

None at all, manifestly, because PVP servers go up against PVE servers in the battle groups all the damn time and statistically they really don't fare any better.

Playing on a PVP server gains you two things: The ability to troll internet forums and act like playing on a PVP server makes you a hardass (case in point), and dozens of wasted, boring, worthless hours ganking or being ganked.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 01-11-2009 12:07:56 PM
quote:
Peter was naked while typing this:

I would really like to know that, too. I love how it's right in the field of view, but doesn't get in the way!

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 01-11-2009 12:11:22 PM
I gotta say, my opinions don't often line up with Maradon's, but he summed up my feelings about PvP servers pretty damn precisely.
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Blindy.
posted 01-11-2009 01:19:33 PM
So basically you don't play on a PVP server because you're scared of PVP.
Willias
Pancake
posted 01-11-2009 01:25:02 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Did you miss the part where I pointed out that there's as much PVP on PVE servers as there is on PVP servers?

Ganking isn't serious PVP. It isn't really even PVP at all because "versus" implies some sort of conflict and being attacked by three fourteen year old kids while you're at 20% health killing a quest mob is hardly a conflict, and yet that is the only new experience that PVP servers have to offer over PVE servers.

Being on the other side of that scenario really isn't any more fun unless you have a minuscule, hair-like penis and have to go around compensating. Even then, what exactly does it teach you? What mad skillz do you gain?

None at all, manifestly, because PVP servers go up against PVE servers in the battle groups all the damn time and statistically they really don't fare any better.

Playing on a PVP server gains you two things: The ability to troll internet forums and act like playing on a PVP server makes you a hardass (case in point), and dozens of wasted, boring, worthless hours ganking or being ganked.

Pretty much.

This is after getting a character to 60 and 70 on the Dark Iron PvP server when those were the level caps.

The other difference is that, for some reason, PvP servers generally have a population ratio that is in favor of Horde characters compared to PvE servers.

Oh and you also forgot to mention the level 80 players that run around camping players in low level zones.

quote:

I do Wintergrasp as often as I can.

Willias fucked around with this message on 01-11-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Number 1 Poster
posted 01-11-2009 01:33:15 PM
quote:
Blindy. had this to say about dark elf butts:

Nina
posted 01-11-2009 02:43:09 PM
quote:
Peter stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:

IceHUD, with a bit of config tweaking to make the self bars larger than the target ones.

Steven Steve
posted 01-11-2009 03:04:45 PM
I think the best thing to do is admit that WoW (and most modern MMORPGs) have broken shitty gameplay that rips off Lineage and other genres of games have far superior and fairer competition.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-11-2009 04:05:23 PM
I play on a PVP server and my feelings about them are exactly the same as Maradon's

World PVP is an unfortunate disruption to the already unfortunate process of leveling. There's nothing fun about it. There never was. Sean remembers fondly a day when mages and priests were completely irrelevant because they just died if they came within 15 ft of a melee class, but I don't see how those days were better

oh look you have 3.5k hp and I'm rogue woops you're dead

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 01-11-2009 at 04:05 PM.

Maradon!
posted 01-11-2009 04:56:06 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Blindy. booooze lime pole over bench lick:

Yeah I played WAR and rarely was my realm rank below my level, and I played EVE in 0.0 for years, but I'm "afraid" of PVP.

I guess that's kinda like being a pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, atheist right-wing extremist.

Number 1 Poster
posted 01-11-2009 05:51:24 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Robocop:
Yeah I played WAR and rarely was my realm rank below my level, and I played EVE in 0.0 for years, but I'm "afraid" of PVP.

I guess that's kinda like being a pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, atheist right-wing extremist.

I guess you just can't man up to WoW PvP

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-11-2009 06:09:42 PM
I killed a human paladin named Mightion a few times in Wintergrasp today
Willias
Pancake
posted 01-11-2009 07:22:13 PM
quote:
Kegwen's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
I play on a PVP server and my feelings about them are exactly the same as Maradon's

World PVP is an unfortunate disruption to the already unfortunate process of leveling. There's nothing fun about it. There never was. Sean remembers fondly a day when mages and priests were completely irrelevant because they just died if they came within 15 ft of a melee class, but I don't see how those days were better

oh look you have 3.5k hp and I'm rogue woops you're dead

Those days were pretty fun if you were a rogue.

And then Burning Crusade turned things around to "oh hay, I'm a rogue, and if I do anything but Cheap Shot to someone I'm trying to gank, I'm going to be running back to my corpse in 10 seconds".

Blizzard trying to make WoW into an e-sport is the worst thing they've ever done with the game. They need to quit trying to balance both PvE and PvP, and just fix things up for PvE, and realize that certain classes may be a bit overpowered in PvP situations.

Though I'm completely for some of the death knight nerfs coming. The death and decay glyph change is probably needed, even though I wish they weren't removing the fear completely. :(

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 01-11-2009 07:29:04 PM
The fact that something can actually happen to me while I'm leveling, even if it's a bad thing, makes leveling somewhat bearable.

It's enough of a treadmill as it is without taking out all the complications.

Greenlit
posted 01-11-2009 07:50:07 PM
quote:
From the book of Kegwen, chapter 3, verse 16:
Sean remembers fondly a day when mages and priests were completely irrelevant because they just died if they came within 15 ft of a melee class, but I don't see how those days were better.

That's fucking funny because a Mage and Priest are the only classes I've played on PVP servers.

But it's now more than ever that Mages and Priests are completely irrelevant when faced with a melee combatant. Back in the good old days they both stood a good chance against anyone they came up against 1v1. Except Warlocks. Warlocks were broken as fuck.

But now cloth is free kills to melee dps, and hunters are still hunters.

Willias
Pancake
posted 01-11-2009 08:34:07 PM
I dunno man, if I try to fight a mage I just get kited around in circles. :(
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 01-12-2009 12:03:24 AM
PVP is balanced around the assumption that you have PVP gear. The ganking game is always going to favor burst dps classes with stuns

edit: priests and mages are getting rocked in PVP gear right now, but I'm sure it will end up like TBC soon enough

Kegwen fucked around with this message on 01-12-2009 at 12:04 AM.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 01-12-2009 12:49:12 AM
I agree with Maradon. My attempt at leveling a shaman on a PVP server pretty much ended when I realized it was going to take me forfuckingever to finish quests in STV unless I logged on at 3 am.

Compared to a PVE server, where I can actually level, and flag when I feel like fighting over world PVP objectives in Outland or wherever.

I guess it comes down to whether you want "entertainment" interspersed with your treadmill (which slows you down), or whether you want to just get it over with as fast as possible.

p.s. why does PitBull break whenever I join a group or add a person to my group while in combat? Are there any unit frame mods that -don't- do this?

Alidane fucked around with this message on 01-12-2009 at 12:53 AM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-12-2009 01:22:03 AM
What are the quintessential rogue and tank mods
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: