EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Get any new toys lately?
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-01-2008 04:21:46 PM
Oh I also bought this a few weeks ago

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-01-2008 04:52:28 PM
Invest in some cable tidies.

Sloppy.

Sloppy.

Sloppy.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-01-2008 04:58:02 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about John Romero:
Invest in some cable tidies.

Sloppy.

Sloppy.

Sloppy.

I don't care, they're cables. I have no reason to care how the cables look. I'm not a fucking interior decorator or anything like that. And hey, it looks even messier now. Sure, I could buy a closed-back entertainment center and wire everything that way, but I have no real reason to. Not to mention, bundling them together only makes it more of a pain in the ass when I have to get a new cord in there somehow, or have to move something around. The cords are going to be exposed no matter what I do.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 10-01-2008 at 05:00 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-01-2008 05:00:19 PM
I'm obsessive compulsive.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-01-2008 05:00:41 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about (_|_):
I'm obsessive compulsive.

I am very glad that I'm not.

Mightion Defensor
posted 10-01-2008 05:07:35 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr wrote:
Oh I also bought this a few weeks ago

Another Samsung... what size is it? Mine is a LN22A450, a 22-incher.

I got Iron Man on DVD last night, along with the novelization of The Force Unleashed (Three word review: Save your money.)

I put the DVD in my 360, set my TV's Screen and Sound modes to "Movie", and watched Iron Man (awesome movie - the end battle was too short, imho). Afterwards, I asked why people say the 360's DVD playback sucks.... I didn't notice any artifacting or anything. *shrug*

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-01-2008 05:09:38 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Mightion Defensor stammered:
Another Samsung... what size is it? Mine is a LN22A450, a 22-incher.

46 incher. I love it.

Mightion Defensor
posted 10-01-2008 05:18:40 PM
quote:
It has been ordained by Primus, that there will be a Chosen One who will use the Matrix to "light our darkest hour." That darkest hour may come sooner if Falaanla Marr keeps posting things like this:
46 incher. I love it.

Good lord, that sucker must look huge when playing games on it. Heck, my 22-incher looks much bigger in my tiny room than it did in the store.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-01-2008 05:19:40 PM
quote:
Mightion Defensor said:
Afterwards, I asked why people say the 360's DVD playback sucks.... I didn't notice any artifacting or anything. *shrug*

It only sucks really if you're using component cables rather than the VGA cable.

Due to some wacky thing (law?) no one is allowed to upscale DVD's over component cables. VGA is allowed. So DVD's over component can appear in crap resolutions.

Mightion Defensor
posted 10-01-2008 05:28:17 PM
quote:
And the Replyobots combined to form Mortious, who roared:
It only sucks really if you're using component cables rather than the VGA cable.

Due to some wacky thing (law?) no one is allowed to upscale DVD's over component cables. VGA is allowed. So DVD's over component can appear in crap resolutions.

Ah, well, mine is hooked up with HDMI, so that may be helping.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 10-01-2008 05:33:54 PM
Upscaling is allowed over HDMI, yeah.
Maradon!
posted 10-01-2008 06:51:33 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Mortious who doth quote:

Not a law, HDCP. DVI and HDMI support Sony's HDCP encryption, but it's impossible to encrypt an analog signal, and so the industry has agreed that in the interest of DRM, retail movies will not allow themselves to be played in HD over component cables. Not all of them are compliant, but most of them.

Naturally this has done absolutely nothing to hinder piracy, and the only people hurt are the legitimate consumers, but that's DRM for ya

Blackened
posted 10-01-2008 07:36:32 PM
rock band 2 + rb2 drumset (so much fucking better than the first)

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Number 1 Poster
posted 10-01-2008 08:10:03 PM
quote:
Blackened probably says this to all the girls:

I've been thinking about it. But I don't have a PS-3/360 so it would cost me about $450 and that's a lot of fucking cash to blow

Nina
posted 10-01-2008 08:53:21 PM
quote:
Blackened had this to say about John Romero:

the fancy, deluxe drumset, or regular one?

nem-x
posted 10-01-2008 10:24:46 PM
The ion is pretty awesome

Granted you won't be using the cymbals for sixteenth notes, it does great for everything else. The pads are sensitive enough where you can lightly tap them to register hits.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-02-2008 02:18:29 AM
quote:
nem-x had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
The ion is pretty awesome

Granted you won't be using the cymbals for sixteenth notes, it does great for everything else. The pads are sensitive enough where you can lightly tap them to register hits.

Once I can get pretty decent at playing the drums, I want to pick up the ION. I'm still working on getting the kick pedal coordination down (and trying to find the best way to keep my foot from wanting to fall off after playing for awhile).

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 10-02-2008 at 02:19 AM.

Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 10-02-2008 10:30:45 AM
I am one of those losers who have never played rockband or tried out their fancy drum toys. (Though the full on electronic one seems nice). I do, however, play regular drums.

To limit foot fatigue you have two options.

1. Just practice practice practice. The sooner you strengthen the right leg muscles, the longer you'll be playing.

2. Just practice... playing heel up. It seems awkward at first. Really awkward. There is much more control and speed while playing heel up and I have been doing it for about 8 years now. The benefit, hardly any fatigue at all, blazing speeds and tight control.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 10-02-2008 11:34:51 AM
quote:
Brahmin Bloodlust stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
I am one of those losers who have never played rockband or tried out their fancy drum toys. (Though the full on electronic one seems nice). I do, however, play regular drums.

To limit foot fatigue you have two options.

1. Just practice practice practice. The sooner you strengthen the right leg muscles, the longer you'll be playing.

2. Just practice... playing heel up. It seems awkward at first. Really awkward. There is much more control and speed while playing heel up and I have been doing it for about 8 years now. The benefit, hardly any fatigue at all, blazing speeds and tight control.

Explain to me this concept of "heel up"?

To limit my fatigue on drums, (Especially with a chair that's too low, considering how tall I am) I've been moving the pedal far out (like, past the drumset itself) and using my calf as the main muscle to press the pedal down.

Sadly, since there's no real "feel" of when the stick would hit the bass drum, I end up lifting my foot off the pedal nearly entirely, so it returns to default position. And holding it there is what makes my Peronius Longus act up. Though I will agree, it does get a lot better after practice.

Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 10-02-2008 11:57:55 AM
quote:
Explain to me this concept of "heel up"?

Besides this guy sounding like he is 12, this is decent video to show you what heel up is about. YOU TUBEZ

Since you are a taller person, I can give you advice. For my kit, I use a reclining computer chair without arms and without the casters in it. Not because a good quality drum throne is too expensive, but because for people 6'5" plus, its hard to get a decent throne.

You want your legs to not be at a perfect 90 degree angle, and you definitely do not want have your thighs pointed below the horizon. This will increase fatigue.

The thing that is strange about the rockband kit... is that there is no feed back on the bass pedal. Playing drums is about having feedback.

Anyway, the good thing about it seems that for someone like me, I wouldn't have to worry that my feet are too big. I had to spend close to 500 bucks for a good set of Axis Longboards, just so my foot would stop hitting the chain drive on my old iron cobras.

As for the techniques are concerned. You should feel the difference pretty quick when you are using your entire leg with minimal effort compared to one ore two muscles to make bass drum strikes.

Gadani
U
posted 10-05-2008 02:47:26 AM
How big are your feet that you're hitting the chain?
Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 10-05-2008 11:31:44 AM
Size 15 If I play heeldown for any reason, my foot was just about an inch bigger than a regular pedal. The axis longboards took the flat heel plate part and made it into more pedal. The result is enough extra room for my feet.
Number 1 Poster
posted 10-05-2008 03:31:56 PM
Palit Radeon 4850 Sonic. Coming on Tuesday or Wednesday
Damnati
Filthy
posted 10-05-2008 03:44:58 PM
quote:
I'm New had this to say about Cuba:
Palit Radeon 4850 Sonic. Coming on Tuesday or Wednesday

Just so you know.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Number 1 Poster
posted 10-05-2008 04:39:28 PM
I see the same card for the same price except in US currency. Also newegg doesn't ship out of country
Damnati
Filthy
posted 10-05-2008 04:43:26 PM
quote:
I'm New Model 2000 was programmed to say:
I see the same card for the same price except in US currency. Also newegg doesn't ship out of country

You must be blind. That's newegg.ca.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Number 1 Poster
posted 10-05-2008 04:52:22 PM
whhoooaaaa when did this happen
Damnati
Filthy
posted 10-05-2008 05:00:11 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by I'm New:
whhoooaaaa when did this happen

Looks like it launched three days ago. It's been on its way for a while.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-10-2008 11:24:02 PM
So yeah, someone on SA was selling these about 20% off regular price when tax and shipping are figured in. So I had to buy them:

Still working on getting them adjusted. Nem, are the bottom support bars supposed to seem loose, or did I miss tightening a couple of bolts?

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 10-10-2008 at 11:26 PM.

nem-x
posted 10-11-2008 01:18:11 AM
They swivel left and right for me
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-11-2008 01:24:06 AM
quote:
This one time, at nem-x camp:
They swivel left and right for me

OK, just wanted to make sure things were good on my end.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: