EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: ITT A New Edition
Damnati
Filthy
posted 06-05-2008 07:20:45 PM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about Pirotess:
A well-planned campagin is an exercise in homebrew. If you can't take a few minutes to come up with something simple but effective like I did, what does that say of the rest of your game? Hell, a lot of Cleric powers deal radiant damage. You can change that to necrotic damage and voila! Instant necromancer!

The point wasn't missed, the point is that you want to be lazy and blame it on the system for not giving you exactly what you want. The point isn't about necromancy, it's about you wanting to QQ.

Right, so, not wanting to tinker with designing powers that can affect balance a great when I know whatever about the system when they really ought to have been there in a first place is wanting to QQ. Gotcha. Just no, Dens. Assembling the fluff for a campaign doesn't involve mucking around with balance.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Noxhil
Pancake
posted 06-05-2008 07:35:25 PM
haha who the fuck says QQ
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 06-05-2008 08:38:52 PM
quote:
Tribute? You steal men's Noxhils, and make them your slaves!
haha who the fuck says QQ

I do, bitch. >:[

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Greenlit
posted 06-06-2008 01:03:13 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Densetsu said:
A well-planned campagin is an exercise in homebrew. If you can't take a few minutes to come up with something simple but effective like I did, what does that say of the rest of your game? Hell, a lot of Cleric powers deal radiant damage. You can change that to necrotic damage and voila! Instant necromancer!

The point wasn't missed, the point is that you want to be lazy and blame it on the system for not giving you exactly what you want. The point isn't about necromancy, it's about you wanting to QQ.

I gotta say that this is the impression I'm getting too.

Greenlit
posted 06-06-2008 01:03:37 AM
quote:
Greenlit had this to say about Pirotess:
I gotta say that this is the impression I'm getting too.

That Damnati just wants to cry his little virgin eyes out, that is.

Greenlit
posted 06-06-2008 01:03:59 AM
haha nerds playing dungeons and dragons

i didn't even need to specify 'virgin' did i

Damnati
Filthy
posted 06-06-2008 02:59:19 AM
Ah, I see, I'm not allowed to dislike a part of a system on the grounds that it ought not to need houseruling in the first place. Right. Fuck off, cunts.

I hope this setting makes it to 4e at some point.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 06-06-2008 03:43:20 AM
quote:
Damnati's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Ah, I see, I'm not allowed to dislike a part of a system on the grounds that it ought not to need houseruling in the first place. Right. Fuck off, cunts.

I hope this setting makes it to 4e at some point.

What stops you from playing there without a special 4e book?

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 06-06-2008 04:11:02 AM
quote:
It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh! I was called here by Tarquinn who wishes to pay me tribute!

Because he's lazy. Hell, I've already figured out (right off the top of my head no less) how to convert Eberron to 4e. The only thing that I haven't got quite hashed out is the Artificer, but I'm leaning toward making it a Wizard Paragon Path. Some of the creatures will take a bit of adapting, but there's rules for that.

Edit: Clarification: Homebrew != houserule. God forbid that a new edition doesn't include absolutely everything you want it to right out of the gate. Necromancy was always weaksauce, maybe when it's finally released it'll be worth playing.

Densetsu fucked around with this message on 06-06-2008 at 04:13 AM.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 06-06-2008 04:20:08 AM
I've been spoiled by GURPS.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 06-06-2008 09:36:59 AM
quote:
Verily, Tarquinn doth proclaim:

Nothing at all stops me from using the setting itself but it includes some rules and ideas that will require a lot of time invested to convert while maintaining balance and flavor. Dunno where Dens gets this idea that lack of desire to fuck with balance = laziness but it's a crock of shit. I haven't so much as played a session in this system, much less run one; given that, homebrewing anything at all is a tenuous operation at best. Designing an entire powerset that has little precedent in the core system from whole cloth is begging to fuck something up for someone as inexperienced as I am. I'm not saying laziness doesn't play its part but I don't even have confidence in my experience with 3.5, which is much longer and has a lot more precedents to base things on, to effectively create my own creatures and spells. If that's not a legitimate reason to want an official ruleset from WotC rather than trying to craft my own, I don't know what is.

Greenlit
posted 06-06-2008 12:18:56 PM
quote:
Tarquinn had this to say about Captain Planet:
I've been spoiled by GURPS.

fuck yeah bro

Iron Heroes was the only reason to ever play 3e anymore; GURPS was better at any and every thing else. 4e seems to be a step back in the right direction, but GURPS is still badass.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 06-06-2008 06:12:40 PM
quote:
Tribute? You steal men's Damnatis, and make them your slaves!
Nothing at all stops me from using the setting itself but it includes some rules and ideas that will require a lot of time invested to convert while maintaining balance and flavor. Dunno where Dens gets this idea that lack of desire to fuck with balance = laziness but it's a crock of shit. I haven't so much as played a session in this system, much less run one; given that, homebrewing anything at all is a tenuous operation at best. Designing an entire powerset that has little precedent in the core system from whole cloth is begging to fuck something up for someone as inexperienced as I am. I'm not saying laziness doesn't play its part but I don't even have confidence in my experience with 3.5, which is much longer and has a lot more precedents to base things on, to effectively create my own creatures and spells. If that's not a legitimate reason to want an official ruleset from WotC rather than trying to craft my own, I don't know what is.

So what you're basically saying is that you need more training, Padawan. Continuing to use your example of necromancy, you don't have to create a whole set of powers. You simply have to create what that character will use. You can even look through the Monster Manual and the PHB for examples of abilities similar to those you want to have, and make small changes. Even players only have a total of 20 powers (2 at-will/4 Encounter/4 Daily/7 Utility/3 from Paragon) available to them at level 30, provided they're not a Cleric or Paladin and take Divinity feats, and barring powers from class features. Just create the ones your villain will need to use in an encounter, and let everything else be explained by the story. Just because your character has surrounded himself with undead minions, doesn't mean that he actually needs to have every power used in creating them.

Not to mention that nearly every spell from an old edition can be replicated (and be nearly balanced by default) by rituals. Clerics get the Ritual Caster feat for free at 1st level. It really does come down to how lazy you are. The tools are there, learn to use them.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 06-06-2008 06:52:46 PM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about Punky Brewster:
So what you're basically saying is that you need more training, Padawan. Continuing to use your example of necromancy, you don't have to create a whole set of powers. You simply have to create what that character will use. You can even look through the Monster Manual and the PHB for examples of abilities similar to those you want to have, and make small changes. Even players only have a total of 20 powers (2 at-will/4 Encounter/4 Daily/7 Utility/3 from Paragon) available to them at level 30, provided they're not a Cleric or Paladin and take Divinity feats, and barring powers from class features. Just create the ones your villain will need to use in an encounter, and let everything else be explained by the story. Just because your character has surrounded himself with undead minions, doesn't mean that he actually needs to have every power used in creating them.

Not to mention that nearly every spell from an old edition can be replicated (and be nearly balanced by default) by rituals. Clerics get the Ritual Caster feat for free at 1st level. It really does come down to how lazy you are. The tools are there, learn to use them.

No, you mindless shit, what I'm basically saying is that all the rules governing anything that gives you a cohort, followers, an animal companion, a familiar, or anything resembling those are gone in 4e. I'm also saying I haven't played with 4e's mechanics -at all-, which utterly bars effective homebrew. I imagine it'd be pretty goddamned easy to assemble a necromancer look-alike villain as there's a goddamned template for it; this doesn't work very well for the player I've got who'd been planning a necromancer character.

Rather than bitching loud and long because one person dislikes the necessity to homebrew what has always been a core mechanic in past editions, why not try and discuss the value of the new edition? Too strange a concept for your elitist fuckoff mindset? "olole, jump homebrew zombie followers without any rules to govern them, it'll be fine." Right shithead, that's great for game balance.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 06-06-2008 at 06:54 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-06-2008 07:41:48 PM
Who else wants to argue over D&D.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 06-06-2008 10:37:01 PM
quote:
Your words are as empty as your soul! Mankind ill needs a savior such as Damnati!
No, you mindless shit, what I'm basically saying is that all the rules governing anything that gives you a cohort, followers, an animal companion, a familiar, or anything resembling those are gone in 4e. I'm also saying I haven't played with 4e's mechanics -at all-, which utterly bars effective homebrew. I imagine it'd be pretty goddamned easy to assemble a necromancer look-alike villain as there's a goddamned template for it; this doesn't work very well for the player I've got who'd been planning a necromancer character.

Rather than bitching loud and long because one person dislikes the necessity to homebrew what has always been a core mechanic in past editions, why not try and discuss the value of the new edition? Too strange a concept for your elitist fuckoff mindset? "olole, jump homebrew zombie followers without any rules to govern them, it'll be fine." Right shithead, that's great for game balance.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-06-2008 11:46:36 PM
I wonder if it's normal to be enraged by people passionately discussing things they enjoy.

I need moral guidance on this.

Steve?

Sean?

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 06-07-2008 12:41:01 AM
quote:
What is a Mr. Parcelan? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!
I wonder if it's normal to be enraged by people passionately discussing things they enjoy.

I need moral guidance on this.

Steve?

Sean?

I'm eating applesauce that expired February of last year.

Greenlit
posted 06-07-2008 12:55:53 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Sean?

Both combatants stand on the field of battle with blunted axes. One casts it aside and curses the gods for this misfortune; the other sets to sharpening his blade so that he may dismember his enemy.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 06-07-2008 03:40:17 AM
quote:
Densetsu attempted to be funny by writing:

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-07-2008 10:04:17 AM
quote:
This one time, at Greenlit camp:
fuck yeah bro

Iron Heroes was the only reason to ever play 3e anymore; GURPS was better at any and every thing else. 4e seems to be a step back in the right direction, but GURPS is still badass.

Pretty much I'd play GURPS if I knew other people to play it with. But most of the game stores here in Wisconson close at like 5 fucking o clock, meaning there can't be anything worth a damn going on at said stores.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: