EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Warhammer 40k
Anakha's Wii
Pancake
posted 03-18-2008 06:59:06 PM
Speaking of 40K, has anybody on the boards had a chance to try out Dark Heresy, the Warhammer 40K roleplay? My experience with it so far is pretty kickass, losing an arm aside.
"From the depths of my parent's basement, thy has truly struck a blow for nonconformity."
Greenlit
posted 03-18-2008 07:00:12 PM
Not the official system, no.
Peter
Pancake
posted 03-18-2008 10:02:05 PM
quote:
Sakkra had this to say about Punky Brewster:
For starters, probably best not to go with a full big set, but the starter set would work. Also, get a can of spray primer. Now there's often debate as to whether you should prime your models black or white. White makes your colors stand out a bit more, whereas black makes colors look muted and dirty (assuming you actually thin your paints and brush lightly, not just cake it on). As such, white tends to be a good choice for bright, crisp models like eldar and tau, whereas black is good for grittier stuff like orks or IG. All things said however it doesn't make THAT big a difference so long as you're layering your painting, so use whatever you like best or have on hand.

Note, you should prime or undercoat any metal areas in black, it seems comes out much better.

---You might want to also play around a bit with thinners, Most of the acrylic paints you can go with Plain old water or Denatured alcohol, both behave differently. Be very careful using other solvents, they can adverse effects on the models of paint itself, I would generally avoid acetone and lacquer thinner, those are usually way to harsh for the minis and the paints.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-18-2008 10:02:54 PM
So, I've ordered this tool kit and tomorrow I plan to blow about 130 bucks on paint, models, and brushes. Probably more tools than I need to begin with but I've plans for conversions and such so they'll get use eventually.

Edit: given that all the Inquisition models I've seen thus far are metal, is black primer really that recommendable? I intend for my first projects to be a Sisters Repentia squad and a Seraphim squad, with Scorched Brown as the primary color.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 03-18-2008 at 10:05 PM.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Greenlit
posted 03-18-2008 10:09:20 PM
Jesus christ amigo.

I bought my stuff (clippers, exacto knives, hobby drill, those same three files) separately for less than $20.

Always, always shop around independently.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-18-2008 10:33:07 PM
Not sure how much I could have saved on all the stuff that's in that kit if I bought separately (I think I'm probably happier not knowing) but I figured that, given all that's in there and the fact that it's got inserts for carrying models, I can't complain too much about the price.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-19-2008 03:29:06 AM
Here I present heresy in progress.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 03-19-2008 05:00:06 AM
quote:
Damnati Model 2000 was programmed to say:

Edit: given that all the Inquisition models I've seen thus far are metal, is black primer really that recommendable? I intend for my first projects to be a Sisters Repentia squad and a Seraphim squad, with Scorched Brown as the primary color.

Yes, always put undercoat on your models. I swear on black, even when painting white skeletons.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-19-2008 12:48:37 PM
In regard to thinning paint, what kind of consistency should I be looking for? I imagine I'll just use water unless something else is more compelling for the purpose. Also, the above-mentioned heresy is a cleverly (or maybe not) disguised color test. Colors used, based on this are Glacier Blue, Elf Skintone, Hammered Copper, Beasty Brown, Scar Red, and Bone White. I hadn't expected the skintone to be that dark but I'm pleased with it. When it comes time for the hair on the models, I think the blue will work as a base with some washes of white and perhaps a bit of silver drybushing so it comes out to a pale silver-blue color.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 03-19-2008 at 12:50 PM.

Tarquinn
posted 03-19-2008 01:21:07 PM
A drop of water is usually enough in my experience. But then I usually do not thin my paints.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 03-19-2008 at 01:21 PM.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 03-19-2008 05:11:51 PM
For your paints go for a consistency similar to 2% milk.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 03-19-2008 05:12:59 PM
When thinning them that is.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-19-2008 05:26:01 PM
Milk, water, flour and eggs.

Bake at 200C for a half hour.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-19-2008 06:27:59 PM
Could any of you recommend a good replacement for hammered copper for officer units? I've seen gold used for trim on commander units but I'd like something that keeps with the copper color, just brighter or something.

Damnati fucked around with this message on 03-19-2008 at 06:28 PM.

Tarquinn
posted 03-19-2008 06:55:04 PM
Brazen brass.
Lalamile
My title doesn't even make sense any more
posted 03-20-2008 12:00:52 AM
I've been playing Warhammer for 10ish years now. First a couple of questions, do you have somewhere to play? Is there a GW store nearby? If there is, it is a great place to go in and get help. The easiest way to learn the rules is to have someone just show you the game.

The Battle for Macragge starter set is a good place to start. It will give you all your rule books, dice etc.

If you decide to play sisters, start with the Witch Hunters Codex. It will give you back ground. This combined with you rules will tell you how the army works. There are few things worse than buying alot of men... or women, and then realizing you can't use them all for some reason. After the codex, start with troops, not elites. In warhammer troops are your meat and butter. They are what win you games. They are what your army should be built around. Everything else is just support. The basic Sister of Battle is a very solid troops choice.

Once all that is done, put up your Warhammer 40k and start playing Warhammer Fantasy, the real mans game.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-20-2008 01:27:19 AM
Lurkfag missed the bit where I said I'm just painting models for the hell of it. :V

I picked up Celestine, The Living Saint and a Repentia squad today. The Repentias are particularly disappointing; two of the models have badly distorted faces (or, rather, the masks over the face are badly buggered) and the Mistress has pointy boobs. Had to settle for Citadel paint as the hobby shop didn't have Vallejo stuff.

Jargum
Doughnut
posted 03-20-2008 02:14:04 AM
I understand that black Gesso makes a good replacement for primer. Goes on thick with a brush and conforms to the figure.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-20-2008 01:46:28 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Jargum squealed:
I understand that black Gesso makes a good replacement for primer. Goes on thick with a brush and conforms to the figure.

Which is infinitely harder than spraypaint.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-20-2008 01:54:59 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Which is infinitely harder than spraypaint.

It may actually be necessary for Celestine. She's got crevices all over that will be hard as fuck to get spray primer into.

Greenlit
posted 03-20-2008 01:57:36 PM
I have no idea why you're starting with some of the hardest models in the game to paint. (and make not look like shit)

Pick up some Orks or Space Marines, and maybe a small vehicle first imo.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-20-2008 02:05:41 PM
quote:
Greenlit's fortune cookie read:
I have no idea why you're starting with some of the hardest models in the game to paint. (and make not look like shit)

Pick up some Orks or Space Marines, and maybe a small vehicle first imo.

The Repentia squad is actually pretty simple overall, it's why I got them. Anything more common to the Inquisition, though, is extremely intimidating. I've considered picking up the parts for an Eldar conversion project I'd like to work on but money is tight right now and it requires a lot of expensive elements; much as it's a lot of assembly, the finished model is relatively simple in comparison to most of the Inquisition stuff.

Tarquinn
posted 03-20-2008 02:40:02 PM
quote:
Damnati had this to say about Punky Brewster:
It may actually be necessary for Celestine. She's got crevices all over that will be hard as fuck to get spray primer into.

That's what a pot of chaos black and a brush are for.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-20-2008 02:47:23 PM
quote:
Tarquinn Model 2000 was programmed to say:
That's what a pot of chaos black and a brush are for.

Is there any distinction between primer and paint? I feel somewhat embarassed to be ignorant of this.

Tarquinn
posted 03-20-2008 02:51:26 PM
No.

The primer is just the first coat of paint on a model.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-20-2008 02:52:40 PM
This makes the hobby shop not having black in stock all the more irksome...

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 03-20-2008 06:30:29 PM
I lament the loss of choppas and looted vehicles in the new codex, but lootas are looking pretty rad. Pity there's no option to take a trukk for HQ choices anymore.

Sakkra fucked around with this message on 03-21-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 03-22-2008 02:57:32 AM
quote:
From the book of Anakha's Wii, chapter 3, verse 16:
Speaking of 40K, has anybody on the boards had a chance to try out Dark Heresy, the Warhammer 40K roleplay? My experience with it so far is pretty kickass, losing an arm aside.

One of the guys at my local game store got the lol collectors edition of that book with the gold trimmed pages, so I played over Christmas. Is definitely a fun and open system. Also, the Warhammer Fantasy roleplay system is nice, if you wanted to check that out.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 03-24-2008 11:00:56 AM
quote:
This one time, at band camp, Damnati said:

Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-24-2008 01:36:43 PM
I got one o' 'dese.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: