EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: You've just won the lottery.
Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 09-27-2006 11:27:57 PM
Lump sum. I would invest in real estate, brokers, blah blah blah. What I really want to do is buy a BIG piece of property and a whole bunch of construction machinery like big front end loaders, back-hoes, dump trucks, and pretty much have my own giant sand box that I've always wanted since I was a kid.
Oh, and get my pilots liscence. And a bitchin' plane to go with it.

edit: About 20 million set aside for said sand box idea, 20 million in investments, and I'm sure the rest is off to zee tax man.

Lechium fucked around with this message on 09-27-2006 at 11:30 PM.

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 09-28-2006 02:07:23 AM
Lump sum.

1. QUIT MY JOB!
2. Hire someone to clean my apartment for me.
3. Invest the money conservatively and live from the interest.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 09-28-2006 02:31:28 AM
Drugs and hookers.
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 09-28-2006 02:49:57 AM
I would buy a one bedroom condo with a kitchen and a family room and a bathroom (maybe some storage space i don't know) and live the rest of my life without having to worry about work. I would also drop out of school.

I'd buy the same stuff I do now.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 09-28-2006 03:06:35 AM
I'd take the lump sum.

First thing's first. I'd pay off any of my family's outstanding debts and bitchslap them into not being retarded and getting any more of said debts.

Next I would hire a full-time caretaker for my mother, as well as a exercise/motivational coach to start getting her back into shape. This absolves me of any guilt I might feel when I leave home (finally).

After that, some travelling is in order. North Carolina, Tennessee, and Alaska would be my first few stops. The first to meet a wonderful woman I met at Dragon*con, the second to attend a wedding of two of the most awesome people I know, the third to visit my brother and his new wife at his new station, as well as to catch up with my niece and nephew.

After that, I'd come back to Utah to visit my father's grave and pay my proper respects, for I have not been able to do so since his funeral.

After that, I'm not sure where. I believe I could be rather happy near where I'm living right now (Better part of two decades here. Truly home to me), but I'd certainly work still, after going to school for my vocation.

I.. was going to say I won't go into detail, but I realize I already have, and nobody's reading this post anyway. So I'd go to school to be a Massage Therapist, then open a small practice nearby.

Then.. maybe I'd buy a PS3. But only if I had a million bucks extra.

Invest the rest and live comfortably.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 09-28-2006 03:23:56 AM
Lump sum.

1) Buy house close to the beach in either PB or La Jolla. Price cap at $3 million. I'd also pay off my current home.
2) Get that house wired and renovated all spiffily. This includes furnishings and high-end AV stuff.
3) Move into that house and renovate my current house and then rent it. I'd give all the details of maintnance to a rental management company.
4) Track down and buy a 2001 Camaro SS and get it repainted and tuned up if needed.
5) Buy an '05 or '06 Saleem Mustang.
6) Learn to drive stick.
7) Pick up a really nice car for weekend joyrides.
8) Distribute some wealth to friends and family. Mostly in the form of trust funds.
9) Donate a mil or two to Child's Play.
10) Invest the remaining 10 million or so in an 8-10% income fund and live off a paltry 800k-1mil per year income while taking whatever classes I wanted to and traveling wherever the fuck I wanted to.

Kermitov
Pancake
posted 09-28-2006 06:59:15 AM
What would I do?

500mph down on the deck

Doomjudge
Pancake
posted 09-28-2006 12:06:49 PM
I'd take the lump sum, buy myself a new computer, a car, buy my friends some gifts, invest the money and just live my same old life.

I'm happy with what I do with my time, I enjoy school, I'm excited about my future jobs and generally wouldn't want things to change.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 09-28-2006 12:34:25 PM
Annual payments, secure the money with an expensive accountant, invest.

Clean out the literature, science and medicine sections of the co-op bookshop.

Landowner.

Then continue with my plans, except with the path smoothed out for me.

Pvednes fucked around with this message on 09-28-2006 at 12:37 PM.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 09-28-2006 12:54:19 PM
I don't play the lottery, anyway.

Not only is it a tax on ignorance of mathematics, getting all that money without the streetsmarts to deal with it effectively isn't a good thing. Not that I'd say no to 29 million dollars, don't get me wrong, it's just that it's a bad way to get rich.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-28-2006 01:49:36 PM
Being handed a lump-sum of roughly $23 mil?

Give a mil to my mom, dad and sister. Leaves 20 mil.

15 mil in investments via different sources (some in stocks, some in long-term savings accounts, some in vulture capital, etc). Leaves 5 mil.

Interest off the investments would be split 50/50.. Half re-invested, half going into my pocket. Maybe do a 75/25 if I actually have a large ROI.

The final 5 mil would be dumped into a 'standard' savings account with an occasional 100k being pulled into a checking account for easy access. I'd wind up buying a moderately nice place somewhere in Dallas (probably just a 250k house) and some computers to go with it.

And enough hardware to build 4 sentry guns to keep the rest of you fuckers away from my front door.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 09-28-2006 02:02:10 PM
Okay, seriously, I'd take the lump sum and quit my job. Probably just finish school. Buy a decent car, maybe buy a house.

I don't really have plans beyond that.

Oh, plus drugs and hookers.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-28-2006 02:09:06 PM
Imported or Domestic?
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-28-2006 03:13:08 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Monica squealed:
Drugs and hookers.

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Mod
Pancake
posted 09-28-2006 06:28:51 PM
Lump sum, invest it safely. I'm not really an extravagant guy and I don't want a family, so I'd probably end up donating the chunk of the proceeds I wouldn't know what to do with.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
LeMiere
posted 09-28-2006 08:47:50 PM
I'd take the lump sum.
I'd secure a trust and college fund or somesuch for my sister. I'd then give money to my parents and some family members, for whatever help they've provided for me in the past.
I'd finish my degree, maybe apply for my master's.
I'd buy a simple house, 3 bed, 2.5 bath. Perhaps in Eastern Arizona, maybe in Pennsylvania. Who knows.
I'd also purchase a bit of property in Padagonia. Just because.
I'd invest a fair amount in real estate.
I'd live off the rest, teaching at some community college- a few classes a semester.
I'd take the time to learn and enjoy the martial arts and fencing schools of my choice.

YEY.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-28-2006 10:25:34 PM
Try living in England. Every fucking thing is taxed.

*grumble* Inheritance Tax *grumble*

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-29-2006 11:43:28 AM
Are you taxed for dying yet?
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 09-29-2006 08:48:00 PM
quote:
Naimah stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Are you taxed for dying yet?

quote:
Inheritance Tax

I guess from a certain point of view...

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 09-29-2006 09:53:00 PM
I'd create a life-size whitestar from Babylon 5. Use the command center to play games like Tachyon and Freespace, and get busy with the membari ladies.
Maradon!
posted 09-30-2006 06:23:23 PM
quote:
x--NightMareO-('-'Q) :
I'd create a life-size whitestar from Babylon 5. Use the command center to play games like Tachyon and Freespace, and get busy with the membari ladies.

NICOLE

Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 09-30-2006 07:56:51 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Falaanla Marr wrote:
Lump sum.

20 million invested so I can live off of the interest.

1 million to build the house I want. In eastern NC, it wouldn't be that much for the land, leaving a ton for the actual house.

1 million to pay off my parents house, my grandpa's house, and all of their cars. Same thing for my two brothers. If they want, I'd buy each immediate family member + grandpa any car they wanted. Same for all their debt.

1 million to set up a scholarship fund at my school.

1 million to fund a franchise of some restaurant. not sure what that would cost.

5 million for random spending.

Cheap land 'cuz of the flooding and hurricanes.

I'd take the lump sum. Pay off my debt, my family's debt. Invest a large chunk. Buy my mom a sweet house and give her money to invest in her own business. Buy a house in Hawaii for my dad and stepmom to retire at. Buy Dethy his Winston. Set up a trust fund and college fund for Chase and future kidlets. Finish school. Buy a ranch in Colorado with a few nice cars. Live nicely.

Jajahotep fucked around with this message on 09-30-2006 at 07:59 PM.

Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 10-01-2006 05:32:55 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Maradon!:
Everybody knows wizard towers rely on telekinesis and/or teleporters.

Or at least elevators.

The hardest part to swing is plumbing, so you're kinda stuck having to go to the ground floor to go to the bathroom. Other than that the cost should be only slightly higher than constructing a house out of the same material (obsidian)

Include one of those giant inflatable slides they have at state fairs. those'll get you downstairs in a flash.

Maradon!
posted 10-01-2006 05:36:40 PM
quote:
Aurying:
Include one of those giant inflatable slides they have at state fairs. those'll get you downstairs in a flash.

Yes.

Freschel Spindrift
Caucasian
posted 10-01-2006 10:00:58 PM
Bah, wizard towers are overrated. I prefer to live in a hobbit home.

Anyway, lump sum.

1) Retain a lawyer. Not the ones you see on tv. God only knows what asshole would sue me for some asinine reason.
2) Hire an accountant. I'm very crappy when it comes to money.
3) Hire a PI and/or someone that can trace my family tree. Make sure I don't have any surprise visits from relatives that I never knew I had. Also no Anna Nicole Smith type of women.
4) If they do come knocking at my door, mandatory DNA testing.
5) Have a hobbit home built for me. Also have a sock drawer room for you know who.
6) New computers, and play AO 'til I puke.
7) Hire a maid and a cook.
8) If I have enough money, build a single screen movie theator, complete with a balcony. Make it 21+ only. It's going to be stocked with different types of beer.
9) Save the rest.

Who's that crazy kook that's destroying the world. It's Zorc (That's me) It's Zorc and Pals.
Bakura: Did you forget our anniversary, again? (laughter)
Zorc: Yes, I was busy destroying the world (laughter) Slaughtering millions. (Laughter)
Bakura: That's my Zorc.
The blood of the innocents will flow without end. His name is Zorc, and he's destroying the world.
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 10-01-2006 10:16:49 PM
I have no idea. This is not my forte. I don't plan on having any descendants, so that takes a little worry off, but it'd really be a big ball of decadent chaos with, somewhere in there, the purchase of either a ridiculous amount of airfare or my own plane, whichever is cheaper.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 10-02-2006 12:05:52 AM
Maradon wins. I want a wizard tower. I always thought the design would be cool.

And from there I would plot to take over the world.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 10-02-2006 12:21:08 AM
Lump Sum.

First, I'd have myself a Victorian manor. I'd make sure there were secret passages and two way mirrors and all that jazz.

I'd also buy a biplane and make sure I was taught how to fly it.

Really, I'd end up just wasting most of it, probably leaving a few million or a few hundred thousand left to invest. The rest would be decor, and mindless little trinkets and gadgets my heart is set on.

Also, I'd probably spend at least half secured hundreds of thousands of acres, to bribe folks and round up a hunting party in order to hunt the greatest beast: Man.

I may even pump 'em up with bionics like Steve Austin.

Kermitov
Pancake
posted 10-02-2006 03:20:14 AM
All you guys that want to learn to fly, you can do it for less than $10,000. Don't wait to win the lottery to do the most fun thing in the world
Maradon!
posted 10-02-2006 05:22:35 AM
quote:
Kermitoving:
All you guys that want to learn to fly, you can do it for less than $10,000

IS THAT ALL!?

Well shit I'll just go LEARN TO FLY TWICE THEN!

Ozimander
$$$$$$$$$$$
posted 10-02-2006 11:38:59 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Maradon!:
IS THAT ALL!?

Well shit I'll just go LEARN TO FLY TWICE THEN!

BUT THAT'S $20,000!

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 10-02-2006 01:37:07 PM
quote:
NightMare had this to say about Captain Planet:

Minbari.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: