EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: "Roe v. Wade for men"
Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-16-2006 03:42:05 PM
quote:
Bloodsage got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Of course! Men should have the option either to require an abortion or to walk away. Nothing else is just, because men deserve the choices.

Care to offer some explanation of why it's ok for a woman to force a man to financially responsible for her decision, a decision she made without his compliance? Care to offer to some reasoning why a woman should be able to take a man's child from him, should he want it, without his say? Honestly, I have no respect for your argument.

You're certainly right, the risks in pregnancy are entirely a woman's. So are the vast majority of preventative measures available to prevent it. A woman either gets pregnant by choice or by a chance so remote that there isn't anything that could be done about it. If it's by choice, then there should be some consideration for the father, who may not have been part of that choice. If it's by chance, there should still be some consideration for the man, who just might want to raise his child (I myself would, as would a number of friends of mine).

To put the choice in the hands of both sexes is equality made legal. They're not saying that men should be given the entire choice, they're saying men should have a hand in it. This does not, by any means, suggest that a man has the right to force a woman to do anything, only that he has the right to say yay or nay. If he says yay, I have no doubt that the law will require him to be responsible for his choice. If he says nay, his conscience will require responsibility. This is already the case for women.

To put the choice solely in the hands of women is difference made legal. The man's desire in the situation is not considered in the least. If the woman says yay, the man can be made responsible regardless of what he wanted or of his knowledge of the decision made. If the woman says nay, the man is either off the hook or has lost his child, both of which may burden him with some guilt due to the inevitable effects on the woman (assuming a conscience is present, which I acknowledge isn't always the case).

In either case, a man must still shoulder the long-term consequences. He may not suffer the immediate physical risks, but the financial and psychological burden, over the long term, is no less compelling. There is no reason at all that anyone should have the right force such consequences on another person without having ever being made to consider that person's desire in the matter.

Edit: To address your notion of "zero responsibility for men", the present law requires zero responsibility for women. As soon as man ejaculates, as Blindy put it, his life and financial future are placed in the woman's hands without any provision for his say.

There's no damned way the court is going to make it easy for a man to just walk away. He'll have to offer some grounds his doing so. All this does it make it harder for women to pigeon-hole men into supporting them.

Kuroi Madoushi fucked around with this message on 03-16-2006 at 03:46 PM.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 03-16-2006 03:44:30 PM
quote:
This one time, at band camp, Bloodsage said:
What this does is require zero responsibility of men. It places all of the responsibility and all of the conseqences and hard decisions squarely with the woman. All the man has to do is say, "Yeah, I'm not up for having a kid," and then walk away.

How equitable.

Just like all the woman has to do is say "Yeah, I'm not up for having a kid," and then have an abortion.
So what, you're saying that decision is hard, but walking away from your unborn child isn't?

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 03-16-2006 03:45:07 PM
quote:
Blindy. stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
But it's at least giving the man a fraction of the control that a woman has for dealing with this situation.

A man can control the situation. All he has to do is not have sex with a particular woman he has no desire dealing with should a pregnancy be the result of them having sex. End-Of-Story.

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-16-2006 03:48:46 PM
quote:
Vernaltemptress wrote this stupid crap:
A man can control the situation. All he has to do is not have sex with a particular woman he has no desire dealing with should a pregnancy be the result of them having sex. End-Of-Story.

This also applies to the woman who chose to keep the child. It takes two to tango, why does only one get a choice? When did discretion in choosing mate go out of style for women?

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-16-2006 03:49:19 PM
Exactly how does this share responsibility? There's nothing shared: everything is entirely up to the man.

You said it yourself: all of the risk and all of the conseqences devolve onto the woman. Thus, she gets to make the choice whether to continue the pregnancy.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-16-2006 03:54:40 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Blindy. squealed:
Just like all the woman has to do is say "Yeah, I'm not up for having a kid," and then have an abortion.
So what, you're saying that decision is hard, but walking away from your unborn child isn't?

5-yard penalty for use of emotionally-laden language in a vain attempt to demonize the opposition.

Exactly how is there any agony of choice for a man, here? He has complete immunity from consequences and complete impunity of action. Legality of abortion or not, there are consequences for women who act without regard for consequences.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-16-2006 04:02:22 PM
This is why you should always blow it in her hair. Instinctively, she'll jump in the shower and wash away any possibility of getting her hooks into your wallet.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 03-16-2006 04:08:30 PM
quote:
A woman can control the situation. All she has to do is not have sex with a particular man she has no desire dealing with should a pregnancy be the result of them having sex. End-Of-Story.
I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-16-2006 04:12:03 PM
Except that the choice to have sex is a mutual one. Yep, either party can choose to abstain. But if they choose to have sex, the woman gets to make the final decision in case of a pregnancy--because she's the one who takes all of the risk and accepts all of the consequences.

How is, "Men shouldn't have to accept any consequences whatsoever," the same as equality of choice?

Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-16-2006 04:18:38 PM
quote:
Bloodsage was listening to Cher while typing:
5-yard penalty for use of emotionally-laden language in a vain attempt to demonize the opposition.

Exactly how is there any agony of choice for a man, here? He has complete immunity from consequences and complete impunity of action. Legality of abortion or not, there are consequences for women who act without regard for consequences.

You have a point, there is less agony of choice for a man than a woman when it comes directly to child-bearing. On the other hand, knowing that she cannot compel a man to support her for being stupid would likely make a woman think more about precautionary measures and discretion in who she takes into her bed.

There are two reliable means of contraception that men have to choose from: condoms and abstinence. For women, there are eight: abstinence, female condoms, the pill, the patch, the shot, IUD's, and the ring. Of the two sets of options, those available to women are far more reliable than those available to men. Ortho Evra, the chosen method my girlfriend an I use, is a patch applied 3 weeks out of four and is 99% effective. The shot and the pill are similarly potent.

Women have a vast number of options available to avoid that agony of choice in all but the remotest of possibilities, which neither man nor woman can control unless they're abstinent. Two can choose to have sex but one chooses whether or not to get pregnant. Why should the man, who can only do so much to prevent unwanted pregnancy, be forced to be responsible for the woman's decision? Why should he take on all the long-term consequences while the woman incurs only short-term risk?

Edit: spelling

Edit2: I suppose I should point out that, in my own case, should pregnancy result, it'll be me that enforces responsibility on me to support mother and child rather than the court. I only argue this because I believe the law is unfair and encourages irresponsible and potentially malicious behavior.

Kuroi Madoushi fucked around with this message on 03-16-2006 at 04:22 PM.

LeMiere
posted 03-16-2006 04:46:57 PM
Men are pigs! HAHAHAHA
Blindy.
posted 03-16-2006 10:15:25 PM
quote:
Bloodsage needs to learn to type:

Morality? I'm sure you've heard of it.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-16-2006 11:00:51 PM
quote:
Blindy. Model 2000 was programmed to say:

That's not very common these days, unfortunately.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-17-2006 01:05:43 AM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabits doth run and play while Blindy. gently hums:

15-yard personal foul for attempted religious conversion. Sorry, dude, but your particular religious views aren't the only way to look at the situation.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-17-2006 01:22:11 AM
quote:
Bloodsage spewed forth this undeniable truth:
15-yard personal foul for attempted religious conversion. Sorry, dude, but your particular religious views aren't the only way to look at the situation.

Morals != religious views necessarily. There is a set of morals and ethics that most people have outside of religion that would include this sort of thing. Religious folks aren't the only ones with a sense of honor or decency.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 03-17-2006 03:31:01 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Knight Rider:
What this does is require zero responsibility of men. It places all of the responsibility and all of the conseqences and hard decisions squarely with the woman. All the man has to do is say, "Yeah, I'm not up for having a kid," and then walk away.

How equitable.

As Blindy said and I'll support, in the case of when the woman wants abortion, she's allowed to do this exact same thing. She doesn't want the child, so on the grounds that the man can't force her to have something in her body that she doesn't want, she can abort the baby.

Yet on the flip side, when the father wants no part of it, for whatever reason it happened, he's forced to be financially responsible if SHE makes a choice about HER future.

She's choosing to keep the child, and all the obligations that come with it. She has no right to hold a man to financial responsibility in a decision he is violently opposed to. He has made his decision and she is choosing to ignore it, therefore she is declaring her independence of him by refusing to consider his wishes or attempt compromise.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Peter
Pancake
posted 03-17-2006 06:39:04 AM
quote:
Kuroi Madoushi obviously shouldn't have said:
... For women, there are eight: abstinence, female condoms, the pill, the patch, the shot, IUD's, and the ring. Of the two sets of options, those available to women are far more reliable than those available to men. Ortho Evra, the chosen method my girlfriend an I use, is a patch applied 3 weeks out of four and is 99% effective. The shot and the pill are similarly potent.

Umm dude, From my understanding some of those birth controls methods are not all that freindly to chicks. I know 2 of my bud-etes have had some bad reactions to the shot and pill. I think some of them can cause some other funky things.

Blindy.
posted 03-17-2006 08:24:19 AM
quote:
Get the soap! Bloodsage just said:

I must have missed the memo where it came out that you can't be a moral person unless you're a religious person.

quote:
Peter must think they're pretty smart:
Umm dude, From my understanding some of those birth controls methods are not all that freindly to chicks. I know 2 of my bud-etes have had some bad reactions to the shot and pill. I think some of them can cause some other funky things.

There are many types of pills, ones with steady low hormones, ones with hormones that are low except for the week of ovulation, and ones with high hormones all the time along with many different types of hormones that fit in with this dosage schedule. It is not unusual for a woman to have problems with the first couple of pills she tries until the doctor finds the setup that works best for her system.

quote:
If I had a nickle for every time Vernaltemptress said:

In a perfect world where no one made mistakes, that might be a concept good enough to base a law around. But in the real world, people make mistakes, and the woman is the only one with the power to deal with it in whatever way pleases her.

If it weren't for the fact that her decision vastly effects the life of the father, I wouldn't have the slightest problem with this concept- but my question, our question, is how is the status quo equitable?

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 03-17-2006 at 08:46 AM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-17-2006 08:51:28 AM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabits doth run and play while Lyinar Ka`Bael gently hums:
As Blindy said and I'll support, in the case of when the woman wants abortion, she's allowed to do this exact same thing. She doesn't want the child, so on the grounds that the man can't force her to have something in her body that she doesn't want, she can abort the baby.

Yet on the flip side, when the father wants no part of it, for whatever reason it happened, he's forced to be financially responsible if SHE makes a choice about HER future.

She's choosing to keep the child, and all the obligations that come with it. She has no right to hold a man to financial responsibility in a decision he is violently opposed to. He has made his decision and she is choosing to ignore it, therefore she is declaring her independence of him by refusing to consider his wishes or attempt compromise.

So all the man has to do is stick his dick wherever he wants without consequence, and it's then up to the woman to live with the consequences? How very equitable.

Sorry, but once she's pregnant, she should get to choose whether to accept the consequences of an abortion or to carry to term. . .and the other person involved in the conception gets to accept any financial obligations that may accompany that decision.

Jeebus, everyone's acting as if women are getting off scott free right now and only men have to bear any consequences. And that's just stupid.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-17-2006 08:54:16 AM
quote:
I must have missed the memo where it came out that you can't be a moral person unless you're a religious person.

Morality is inextricably tied to religion. And it's awfully egocentric of you to think that your particular idea of morality is the only valid one, and that anyone who thinks differently is immoral. How much more religiously dogmatic can one get?

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 03-17-2006 09:38:46 AM
quote:
Reynar had this to say about Duck Tales:
This brings up another problem; what if she doesn't know who the father is? Do we order genetic testing on every possible subject? Not to mention results on genetic tests don't come quickly to say the least.

I believe that currently, a woman can have a court order a paternity test on a man who the woman thinks may be the father, and the man has to foot the bill for it.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Blindy.
posted 03-17-2006 11:34:08 AM
quote:
I bet you never expected Bloodsage to say:
Morality is inextricably tied to religion. And it's awfully egocentric of you to think that your particular idea of morality is the only valid one, and that anyone who thinks differently is immoral. How much more religiously dogmatic can one get?

Yeah, ok, whatever. That's exactly what I was trying to say.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-17-2006 12:05:39 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Blindy. absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
Yeah, ok, whatever. That's exactly what I was trying to say.

I don't have any way to know, nor do I really care, what you were trying to say. I can only respond to what you did say.

Blindy.
posted 03-17-2006 12:35:42 PM
quote:
Bloodsage says po-ta-to, I say pa-ta-to:
I don't have any way to know, nor do I really care, what you were trying to say. I can only respond to what you did say.

What Blindy says: "Morality is what prevents men from walking away from their unborn children without remorse."

What Bloodsage apparently hears: "My particular religious views mean that I am superior to everyone else and the only valid source of moral authority."

How in the name of crap would that even have been related to my argument?

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 03-17-2006 01:04:45 PM
In related news, I started my period this morning.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-17-2006 01:33:53 PM
quote:
Peter had this to say about (_|_):

As Blindy said, there are many different methods and it may take a few tries to find the right one. My point was that there are a vast number of contraceptive methods available to women that are much more effective than those available to men. I'm aware of the side effects of some of them; my girlfriend schooled me extensively in this.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-17-2006 01:54:52 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Blindy. absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
What Blindy says: "Morality is what prevents men from walking away from their unborn children without remorse."

What Bloodsage apparently hears: "My particular religious views mean that I am superior to everyone else and the only valid source of moral authority."

How in the name of crap would that even have been related to my argument?

1. You presume that anyone worth a shit shares your particular stance in terms of "walking away from an unborn child without remorse." Hence, anyone who does other than you would is by definition immoral

2. Your use of the term "unborn child" in the original context also presumes an anti-abortion stance and again labels anyone with a different view as immoral

3. What makes you think it's so tough to walk away if there are no consequences? Are you really so naïve that you think society should or could be regulated by hoping people feel bad if they don't "do the right thing"?

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 03-17-2006 02:25:50 PM
WHO IS MY BABY'S DADDY... MY HUSBAND OR HIS BROTHER?

Do all of Deanthony's kids belong to his best friend? Can Sharnita prove Alfonso is the father of both her daughters? Is Shawnalee's husband the father of her children? Maury's got the surprising results!

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 03-17-2006 02:35:57 PM
quote:
Vernaltemptress had this to say about Knight Rider:

Does that mean we're not on for this Saturday anymore?

Blindy.
posted 03-17-2006 02:39:56 PM
quote:
Bloodsage says ta-ma-to, I say to-ma-to:
1. You presume that anyone worth a shit shares your particular stance in terms of "walking away from an unborn child without remorse." Hence, anyone who does other than you would is by definition immoral

2. Your use of the term "unborn child" in the original context also presumes an anti-abortion stance and again labels anyone with a different view as immoral

3. What makes you think it's so tough to walk away if there are no consequences? Are you really so naïve that you think society should or could be regulated by hoping people feel bad if they don't "do the right thing"?

1) Pretty much.

2) No, but it emulates the vocabulary that would likely be used by a person in the situation of the hypothetical male to which I was refering. But way to read too far into it champ. I think you've been hanging out with the frogs a bit too much.

3) Last time I checked that's what this whole freedom thing was about. Now that our society has reached a point where it is 100% optional for a woman to raise a child if she becomes pregnant, neither partner should have a legal obligation to abide by the other's wishes, because the fact is that she's choosing to raise the child. It's not as if I'm forcing it upon her. She is making that decision of her own free will.

What you are arguing is that

quote:
It places all of the responsibility and all of the conseqences and hard decisions squarely with the woman.

while
quote:
He has complete immunity from consequences and complete impunity of action.

So would it make you feel better if the man had to pay expenses and damages if there was a botched abortion? If the man had to cover half the expenses of having the child adopted? I'd be OK with that, but I'm not OK with the woman having domination over the future of the man simply because she decided she wanted to raise the child.

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 03-17-2006 at 02:40 PM.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-17-2006 02:55:21 PM
So it's okay for the man to have all the choices while the woman bears all the consequences, but it's not okay for him to be required to share the cost of the mishap if there's a pregnancy?

Makes perfect sense. Equality = the man gets the choice. Cool.

Blindy.
posted 03-17-2006 03:00:22 PM
quote:
Bloodsage's complete misunderstanding of life manifested itself when they said:
So it's okay for the man to have all the choices while the woman bears all the consequences, but it's not okay for him to be required to share the cost of the mishap if there's a pregnancy?

The mishap is the pregnancy.

The raising of the child is a choice.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 03-17-2006 03:32:18 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Cuba:

Now now, I in particular said that during the pregnancy, however it ends (abortion, miscarriage, birth), the man should help. You are correct; the man DID help get the woman pregnant. If the woman chooses to get an abortion, the man should have to help. if the woman chooses to carry the child to term, half the medical bills accrued should be the responsibility of the man to pay. I don't have any problem with that.

My problem is that right now, the man stops having any legal right the minute he completes having sexual intercourse. It's like being given a gun and being put into a dark room. You honestly don't know what's going to happen. You're taking a shot in the dark as to your future for the next 20 years. A woman, on the other hand, can choose abortion, keep the child, and when she keeps the child she can force the man to pay for 20 years. She gets to see the guided missile kaboom-cam view of things.

I don't have a problem with the responsibility of the man to help with the costs of the pregnancy itself. At the end of the pregnancy, however, the man's financial responsibility should end unless he intends to take part in the child's life. The woman has the option of putting the child up for adoption. No one but the woman's own moral/ethical code tells her she has to keep the unwanted child upon it's birth.

AND this law has little to no application in marriages or the like. Those sorts of things fall under the category of marital law/divorce law. There are protections for women, in the law, who have abusive or neglectful husbands.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-17-2006 03:35:11 PM
The point is the situation is one in which, after the pregnancy occurs, there can no longer be anything resembling a joint decision--either one gives all the power of choice to the man, who can simply walk away with no responsibility, as most people here have chosen to argue, or one gives the majority vote to the woman, who is the one who bears all of the consequences of the situation.

Seems to me the one who must accept the risk should be the one to have the choice.

Blindy.
posted 03-17-2006 03:54:00 PM
quote:
Bloodsage's ass must be crazy:
The point is the situation is one in which, after the pregnancy occurs, there can no longer be anything resembling a joint decision--either one gives all the power of choice to the man, who can simply walk away with no responsibility, as most people here have chosen to argue, or one gives the majority vote to the woman, who is the one who bears all of the consequences of the situation.

Seems to me the one who must accept the risk should be the one to have the choice.

The woman can also walk away with no responsibility. She is choosing not to.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-17-2006 03:55:46 PM
quote:
Blindy.'s unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:

I believe he's pointing at the health risks inherent in pregnancy/birth and abortion as the responsibility a woman takes on.

Blindy.
posted 03-17-2006 03:57:23 PM
quote:
Kuroi Madoushi must read alot of poetry:
I believe he's pointing at the health risks inherent in pregnancy/birth and abortion as the responsibility a woman takes on.

Financial liability for which can be shared by the male. Unfortunately that's as close to equal as that particular part of the situation can get given the realities of sexual reproduction.

P.S. LESS THAN TWO HUNDREDTHS OF A PERCENT. Should that dictate the other 99.993% of pregnancies?

Blindy. fucked around with this message on 03-17-2006 at 04:01 PM.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 03-17-2006 03:58:29 PM
quote:
Blindy. had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
Financial liabilty for which can be shared by the male. Unfortunately that's as close to equal as that particular part of the situation can get given the realities of sexual reproduction.

I concur, I was just pointing out what I thought his argument to be as yours seemed to leave that part out.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-17-2006 04:10:42 PM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabits doth run and play while Blindy. gently hums:

No, she can't walk away without consequences. That's the whole point, and why your alleged "solution" is unjust.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 03-17-2006 04:11:38 PM
quote:
Bloodsage impressed everyone with:

The choice for women is in regards to her own body--whether she goes through with the pregnancy or opts for termination, is entirely up to her, and I fully agree with that. The problem arises where the man must accept the responsibility for the choice of the woman, even when in complete disagreement with, or worse, with no influence at all upon that choice, as demonstrated by the previously mentioned saga of the stolen semen.

The health risks surrounding pregnancy are not a matter of social inequality, they are a matter of biological fact, and so can only be effectively corrected by the advance of medicine, rather than civil law.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: