EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The Revolution is here
Maradon!
posted 09-16-2005 09:34:12 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Mr. Gainsborough who doth quote:
Everyone is confusing Nintendo with some other console that has good FPS games. D:

Metroid Prime was a pretty good FPS.

Mod
Pancake
posted 09-16-2005 10:33:24 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Why not? Despite what certain idealists would have us believe, real-world success is indeed an indication of quality.

Edit: as a matter of fact, it can be argued convincingly that it's the only--or at least one of the few--indications that matter.

I can't see how sales or profitability work as a measure of product quality. Say you have 100 identical carpets. You give one batch of 50 to a salesman who is new at the job to sell and another batch of 50 to a veteran salesman. Carpets from the batch sold by the expert will be a much bigger commercial success and, if you take this to be equal to quality, of superior quality to the batch sold by the beginner. This would boil down to two products with the exact same physical properties and price being of different quality. If you factor in demand, it would also lead to the same product swinging wildly from 'horrible' to 'great' in quality simply based on a shifting economic situation.

You are correct in saying that to discuss the quality of something you must first agree upon some common set of criteria, but I don't see this as a terrible problem that justifies simplifying the debate to more profit = better than or more sales = better than. For many things the criteria are inherent in the nature of the product you are discussing.

When discussing compression algorithms you can compare them based on speed and compression ratio. Of course you could in theory run into someone who doesn't care about those and whose main criterium of quality is how often the letter 'a' is found in the algorithm source and you won't be able to establish any common ground with him, but in the vast majority of cases you won't have to resort to dropping the debate and going for the financial records of the developer.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 09-16-2005 10:43:10 AM
quote:
Maradon! - Maradon! = 0:
Metroid Prime was a pretty good FPS.

Metroid Prime is not a FPS, it's a first/third person action game.

Talonus
Loner
posted 09-16-2005 11:33:26 AM
quote:
Bloodsage stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Why not? Despite what certain idealists would have us believe, real-world success is indeed an indication of quality.

Edit: as a matter of fact, it can be argued convincingly that it's the only--or at least one of the few--indications that matter.

The Bible is the best piece of literature ever!

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 09-16-2005 12:29:37 PM
The Enzo is the worst car ever!
Puggy
Pancake
posted 09-16-2005 01:33:42 PM
quote:
In addition, incorporated technology will easily allow games from the NES, SNES, N64® and Nintendo GameCube generations to be controlled in familiar fashion.

Cool.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 09-16-2005 01:34:23 PM
quote:
Mr. Gainsborough said this about your mom:
Everyone is confusing Nintendo with some other console that has good FPS games. D:

Hey now. The Super Nintendo had Doom you uneducated little twat!

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Dave
)_(
posted 09-16-2005 03:23:21 PM
Screw fps, I can't wait for the sword combat games for the new gamecube.
Sean
posted 09-16-2005 03:32:40 PM
The revolution will not be televised.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Naj
I asked for a title and didn't get banned!
posted 09-16-2005 04:01:58 PM
quote:
Dave had this to say about Duck Tales:

Lightsabers D:

Dave
)_(
posted 09-16-2005 04:07:29 PM
Yea my friends and I talked about this being the perfect platform to do jediknight 3 if the controller works as well as they say. As it has guns, lightsabers and force powers all in the same package.

Dave fucked around with this message on 09-16-2005 at 04:08 PM.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 09-16-2005 04:12:05 PM
quote:
Dave had this to say about Jimmy Carter:

That's my schtick, you ass!

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Dave
)_(
posted 09-16-2005 04:25:02 PM
All your schtick are belong to us.
Mod
Pancake
posted 09-16-2005 04:29:03 PM
That's actually my biggest fear with the thing, I don't want to stand in front of my console jumping around like a retard, that's for the DDR crowd.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 09-16-2005 04:33:43 PM
quote:
Mod's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
That's actually my biggest fear with the thing, I don't want to stand in front of my console jumping around like a retard, that's for the DDR crowd.

what

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Dave
)_(
posted 09-16-2005 04:52:32 PM
Who says you need to jump around? It isn't an itoy its a remolte controll that you can use from your couch.
Mod
Pancake
posted 09-16-2005 04:53:47 PM
quote:
Dave got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Who says you need to jump around? It isn't an itoy its a remolte controll that you can use from your couch.

Yeah but developers could start making games that force you to swing it like a baseball bat or sword hilt or something.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 09-16-2005 05:17:23 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Mod!
Yeah but developers could start making games that force you to swing it like a baseball bat or sword hilt or something.

They could also make games that require you to shove it up your ass and fart. If they made that type of game, I wouldn't buy said game.

Key: If you don't want certain games for the console, don't get those games. Don't not buy a console because you don't like some of the things developers could do.

Mod
Pancake
posted 09-16-2005 06:27:58 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr attempted to be funny by writing:
They could also make games that require you to shove it up your ass and fart. If they made that type of game, I wouldn't buy said game.

Key: If you don't want certain games for the console, don't get those games. Don't not buy a console because you don't like some of the things developers could do.

The point is that if that style of game ends up making up a large portion of the console's library the console may no longer be worth buying for me.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: