EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: What do you consider to be middle-aged?
Maradon!
posted 02-22-2005 10:46:05 AM
quote:
Nae painfully thought these words up:
So, you think that if someone died at age 30, their teens would have been when they were middle-aged?

Wrong.

You can't know your day of death, so that formula doesn't work.

It's not a formula, "Middle Age" is a term referring to the years in the MIDDLE of the AVERAGE person's lifespan. There's no "literal" or "contextual" difference to be had.

So YOU think that if medical science advanced to the point where people lived 500 years, you'd still call someone 50 years old "Middle Aged"?

Wrong.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 02-22-2005 10:53:55 AM
quote:
Maradon! probably should have googled this:
It's not a formula, "Middle Age" is a term referring to the years in the MIDDLE of the AVERAGE person's lifespan. There's no "literal" or "contextual" difference to be had.

So YOU think that if medical science advanced to the point where people lived 500 years, you'd still call someone 50 years old "Middle Aged"?

Wrong.

It refers to the middle segment in an average person's lifespan, but that doesn't have to be the year or the five years in the precise middle - it depends on how you divide the segments. For example:

1-30: Young.
30-60: Middle Aged.
60-90: Old.

or

1-20: Kid.
20-40: Adult.
40-60: Middle
60-80: Old
80-100: OLDEST

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 02-22-2005 11:05:38 AM
I see it as 40-60, generally.
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 02-22-2005 11:57:42 AM
quote:
Maradon! stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:

Wrong.

Apparantly you just want to argue. I don't.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: