EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: In the news: Sony loves money
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 01-07-2005 05:21:18 PM
quote:
This one time, at Liam camp:
Fanboyism is a very stupid thing, just as a quick heads up.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Mod
Pancake
posted 01-07-2005 05:52:53 PM
I'm all for downloadable content but the way they plan on implementing it seems like a very bad thing for the consumer.

With traditional expansion packs you have a degree of expectation to judge a company by, in the case of Sony it usually worked out to: "Hey people you put this thing in a box, put the box in a store called it Luclin and sold it to me, but half the stuff in that box is broken or missing and the other half consists of newbie zones for furry cat people with a free bonus endless grind to top it off, what the hell is this shit?".

I also have the sneaking suspicion that this will turn out to total much more than the 30$ every 4-6 months for an expansion pack (and let's be honest here, if you played EQ seriously there was no way around getting every single one of them). The price creep on the MMOG market is getting horrible all-around, we started with slightly over 10$ no questions asked for EQ1 and we've arrived at 15$ for WoW and thousands of buyable 'optional' extras for EQ2.

Deth I've played EQ with people who were some of the serverwide best at playing their respective classes, trust me neither of them spent weeks in Lake of Ill Omen playing twinks to become a better player, most of them would rush to the top of the leveling curve faster than anyone else on their server and still be better players than the people stuck in lvl 38 AND at the same time could log in most other classes when they were needed and do well. Did it ever occur to you that maybe being skilled at playing your class actually helps you level faster?

If you enjoy roleplaying 5 different twinks instead of grinding xp more power to you, I'm the last person to try and tell people how to use the game they bought, but don't act like being low-level makes you a better player or gives you some special understanding of the game that anyone who levels quickly cannot have, you will learn much more about playing a monk from working with good lvl 60 monks for a month and being mindful of what exactly they do than you will from soloing a monk twink to lvl 25.

Oh and Dens, yes people are weary of this because it is SoE, do you know why? Because SoE has fucked players time and time again and trying to sneak higher prices for less content up the backdoor is something that, based on past experiences, sounds exactly like something SoE would do. If your local computer shop has a bad habit of reselling hardware returned as defective, would you not be extremely suspicious of their new policy of delivering mail-orders without the original packaging?

Mod fucked around with this message on 01-07-2005 at 06:00 PM.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Talonus
Loner
posted 01-07-2005 06:21:51 PM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about Punky Brewster:
So yes, I took a jab at Blizzard fanboys. Forgive me. That doesn't change the fact that the source makes a difference in how one percieves things such as this. I watch the trends of how people act and react regarding the two games. I can see certain reactions coming. The reactions from the WoW players in this thread did not surprise me in the slightest.

I was the second post in this thread. I'll gladly take potshots at Blizzard and WoW if you want me to do so. I do it every night in-game actually. Addy, Cobbi, or Lash can attest to that. I make no distinction in my bashing. If I think a company is greedy and a game has problems, I'll say it. I think WoW has plenty of problems. I think EQ2 has plenty more problems. Both deserve bashing for their own reasons.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-07-2005 06:25:09 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Mod wrote:
thousands of buyable 'optional' extras for EQ2.

Four. One dollar each. Three dollars for all four. You are now informed.

quote:

Oh and Dens, yes people are weary of this because it is SoE

Thank you for qualifying my first statement.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-07-2005 06:27:05 PM
Yeah. All of us agree that Talonus is just one big jerk.
Talonus
Loner
posted 01-07-2005 06:29:47 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Yeah. All of us agree that Talonus is just one big jerk.

I prefer the term asshole.

Noxhil
Pancake
posted 01-07-2005 06:33:59 PM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about dark elf butts:
So just because Noxhill says, plainly, 'No,' then it is automatically untrue? Face it, there are not just a few people on these boards that feel Blizzard can do no wrong.

There will always be fanbois, however, that is quite different from saying that

quote:
A sleep deprived Densetsu stammered:
The thing is, if this announcement had been made by Blizzard regarding WoW, everyone on this board would be praising Blizzard for having such a unique approach to expansions, and being smart about cutting out the middleman.

My contention that you were wrong to say that everyone, even close to a majority of the people on this board are Blizzard fanbois didn't really require explanation.

Noxhil fucked around with this message on 01-07-2005 at 06:34 PM.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 01-07-2005 06:37:54 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Densetsu:
Four. One dollar each. Three dollars for all four. You are now informed.

Wait... So you have to pay 19$ just to get the 'whole' game? Lame.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Mod
Pancake
posted 01-07-2005 06:40:12 PM
quote:
From the book of Densetsu, chapter 3, verse 16:
Thank you for qualifying my first statement.

So what is your actual problem with judging a company based on it's past and current business practices?

Mod fucked around with this message on 01-07-2005 at 06:42 PM.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 01-07-2005 06:41:18 PM
Who ever said that 8 game slots was the "whole" game. And anyway. I pay no extra and I get 8 slots.
"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-07-2005 06:43:08 PM
quote:
Noxhil got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
My contention that you were wrong to say that everyone, even close to a majority of the people on this board are Blizzard fanbois didn't really require explanation.

Because it was so detailed, that I certainly didn't have to worry about wondering whether you made your statement in response to the actual content of mine, or because I made a generalization.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-07-2005 06:45:06 PM
quote:
Faelynn LeAndris stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Wait... So you have to pay 19$ just to get the 'whole' game? Lame.

No. You pay an extra few bucks to get a few out-of-game features like detailed character info sites (like in my sig). Way to assume, though.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 01-07-2005 06:47:02 PM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about Tron:
No. You pay an extra few bucks to get a few out-of-game features like detailed character info sites (like in my sig). Way to assume, though.

Way to give no information so I can do nothing BUT assume!

And whats with the arrogance?

And you prove yourself to be as bad or worse than any WoW fanboi on these boards with your venom and stuff.

Smartassese get annoying fast.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-07-2005 06:53:42 PM
quote:
Faelynn LeAndris enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Way to give no information so I can do nothing BUT assume!

And whats with the arrogance?

And you prove yourself to be as bad or worse than any WoW fanboi on these boards with your venom and stuff.

Smartassese get annoying fast.

1. You come into the thread, pick out one little thing to use to take a shot at the game, and then fall back on ignorance when called on it.

2. Arrogance? More like annoyance. You are doing exactly what I say the WoW fanbois do. "Something is different about the game I'll never care for playing? I'll go and call it lame so I feel better for choosing a different game."

3. As bad or worse? Do I pop into WoW threads and call the game lame because it uses torrents to patch? Do I pop into WoW threads and make a comment about how I did something in EQ2 last night that may, or may not, be even similar to what is being discussed? Do I pop into WoW threads and attempt to make all of Blizzard's business practices seem like they are the devil? While I'm not implying that you do all these things, they are all done by WoW players on these boards.

4. Guilty as charged.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 01-07-2005 07:02:14 PM
quote:
Densetsu wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
1. You come into the thread, pick out one little thing to use to take a shot at the game, and then fall back on ignorance when called on it.

2. Arrogance? More like annoyance. You are doing exactly what I say the WoW fanbois do. "Something is different about the game I'll never care for playing? I'll go and call it lame so I feel better for choosing a different game."

3. As bad or worse? Do I pop into WoW threads and call the game lame because it uses torrents to patch? Do I pop into WoW threads and make a comment about how I did something in EQ2 last night that may, or may not, be even similar to what is being discussed? Do I pop into WoW threads and attempt to make all of Blizzard's business practices seem like they are the devil? While I'm not implying that you do all these things, they are all done by WoW players on these boards.

4. Guilty as charged.

1) Maybe, because if you note, I came into it on the second page, and responded to a single item that was picked out as most recent rather than rehashing the older arguments. But no, I guess you didn't catch that.

2) No, you are being arrogant, and yes you have gone into WoW threads and pointed out things you concidered stupid. And, Im sorry, but I think paying 19-20 for ANY game is lame, and this is you again trying to defend YOUR fanboism by bringing up the irrelevant point of what game someone else has chosen. What game I do or don't play is totally irrelevant to thinking paying 19$ for a game is lame. Note, it wasn't even specific to SoE, so even that is a pointless argument on your part, and you are just spouting fanobi retorts.

3) As I said, yes you HAVE poped into those threads and done just exactly that. And for the record, YOU and DETH are the only ones who really turned this thread into an EQ2 vs WoW thread. The comments the REST of us have made and been totally seperate and irrelevant to what games we may or may not play. YOU brought WoW into it, DETH brought WoW into it. The WoW players did not bring WoW into it, they merely commented on how bad this senario sounded, and I have to agree with them, and AGAIN it has nothing to do with what game I play. Because, as you will note, I have bashed WoW as well for having issue, much in the same way Talonus does. But what did you do there? Oh yeah, you ASSUMED, we would react a certain way if someone said this same thing about WoW. Which is false actually, and YOUR first attack on the WoW players, and one of the first steps in degenerating the thread.

4) Indeed.

Edit: Actually, reviewing further, YOU are the only one really responcible for turning this into an EQ2 vs WoW thread, not even Deth or anyone else.

Faelynn LeAndris fucked around with this message on 01-07-2005 at 07:09 PM.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-07-2005 07:02:19 PM
quote:
Talonus had this to say about Optimus Prime:
I prefer the term asshole.

Talonus, Equal Opportunity Asshole.

Suddar
posted 01-07-2005 07:14:44 PM
Dens is PMSing
New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 01-07-2005 07:39:00 PM
quote:
Suddar painfully thought these words up:
Dens is PMSing

His little friend must be visiting.

What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-07-2005 07:58:29 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Faelynn LeAndris!
1) Maybe, because if you note, I came into it on the second page, and responded to a single item that was picked out as most recent rather than rehashing the older arguments. But no, I guess you didn't catch that.

Yes, I caught that you came in on the second page. Yes, I caught that you just responded to a single item that you picked out. But don't try to make yourself out to be a saint. Your comment was no better than mine. You just didn't insert a game's name into yours. And to address it specifically, the extra money is for, as I've said, out-of-game perks. They are completely optional, and don't effect your gameplay experience in anyway in-game.

quote:

2) No, you are being arrogant, and yes you have gone into WoW threads and pointed out things you concidered stupid. And, Im sorry, but I think paying 19-20 for ANY game is lame, and this is you again trying to defend YOUR fanboism by bringing up the irrelevant point of what game someone else has chosen. What game I do or don't play is totally irrelevant to thinking paying 19$ for a game is lame. Note, it wasn't even specific to SoE, so even that is a pointless argument on your part, and you are just spouting fanobi retorts.

Okay, I'm being arrogant? Well why the fuck not? It's not like I'm this arrogant asshole in a sea od mild-mannered denizens. Don't act like You've never made an arrogant post, or that nobody else has. I'm not some big evil jerk because I made an arrogant comment. And no, I have never gone into a WoW thread to bash WoW. I have gone into WoW threads to argue certain things that had nothing to do with the game itself, and had everything to do with the fact that people were just making stupid comments, that happened to be at WoW. I even defended parts of of WoW in Parce's thread about an incoming nerf that degenerated into why Paladins should be nerfed or something like that. Although my attempt at defending those parts were largely futile due to my ignorance of the game, that's irrelevant. I spouted an anti-fanboi retort in my first post in this thread. Granted, it may have been, and probably was, completely unnecessary, I certainly didn't put SOE on a pedastal. I'm hardly a rabid fanboi. If you think I am, then I'm sorry. Nothing I can do about that.

quote:

3) As I said, yes you HAVE poped into those threads and done just exactly that. And for the record, YOU and DETH are the only ones who really turned this thread into an EQ2 vs WoW thread. The comments the REST of us have made and been totally seperate and irrelevant to what games we may or may not play. YOU brought WoW into it, DETH brought WoW into it. The WoW players did not bring WoW into it, they merely commented on how bad this senario sounded, and I have to agree with them, and AGAIN it has nothing to do with what game I play. Because, as you will note, I have bashed WoW as well for having issue, much in the same way Talonus does. But what did you do there? Oh yeah, you ASSUMED, we would react a certain way if someone said this same thing about WoW. Which is false actually, and YOUR first attack on the WoW players, and one of the first steps in degenerating the thread.

I didn't turn this into an EQ2 vs. WoW thread. I simply attempted to point out how the source of this new marketing technique changes the perception of those who read about it. And then only Mod agreed with me. I've personally never seen you bash WoW in a thread on the boards, but I really only read about 80% of WoW threads. So I could be wrong. But if you only bash it in-game, then saying that you bash it is completely irrelevant, since there's no way I could know if I don't play the game, with you. Hell, even if you do bash it on the boards, it's still irrelevant. Yes, I assumed how people would react had this been a Blizzard announcement instead. It was more of an educated guess, though, a hypothesis, based upon past information. Very little of it was actual assumption. So it was wrong in regards to you? Well then you're special.

quote:

Edit: Actually, reviewing further, YOU are the only one really responcible for turning this into an EQ2 vs WoW thread, not even Deth or anyone else.

As I said before, I didn't turn it into an EQ2 vs. WoW thread. I made an anti-fanboi comment, which happened to involve another game. Perhaps if my original comment said, "Any other MMORPG publisher aside from SOE," instead of, "Blizzard about WoW," you wouldn't feel wronged? Because they both apply, as far as I'm concerned.

Fae, I have nothing against you, but you made a comment much like I did, and I called you on it. Since you only came in on the second page, I'll let you know that on the first page, I admitted to taking a jab at Blizzard fanboys. I still admit that. I am sorry for taking a pot shot at Blizzard Fanboys.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 01-07-2005 08:07:59 PM
This thread sucks. Reynar has proven himself to be the wisest of all duders.

That is all.

-Tok

Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 01-07-2005 08:09:23 PM
While I find it difficult to believe that the WoW crowd here would have had a similiar reaction if Blizzard were to announce something like this. ( It would be considerably more of a mixed reaction then those playing EQ2 ) Regardless, I'm on the fence about this one. While a great business strategy, it all depends on execution when in terms of the players. EQ2 has a very different player base then EQ1. This offers the ability to get new content out faster for those that chew it up rather quickly. It also offers the ability to add more content for a specific group of players (Power vs. Casual) without really penalizing the other. Unless ofcourse, you take offense to SoE not specific tailoring the game to you but we all know those people are wackos anyway.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 01-07-2005 08:44:40 PM
I don't really see what makesit so evil myself. You're getting the new area to explore in. You just can't have every single bit of content unless you buy the "expanded" version for want of another term. Everyone still has a chance to experience the new stuff, they just don't get it all unless they make the choice to get it all.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Mightion Defensor
posted 01-07-2005 09:23:46 PM
quote:
It has been ordained by Primus, that there will be a Chosen One who will use the Matrix to "light our darkest hour." That darkest hour may come sooner if Lyinar Ka`Bael keeps posting things like this:
I don't really see what makesit so evil myself. You're getting the new area to explore in. You just can't have every single bit of content unless you buy the "expanded" version for want of another term. Everyone still has a chance to experience the new stuff, they just don't get it all unless they make the choice to get it all.

Well, speaking as somone who doesn't play EQ2 or WoW yet, it does seem a bit like nickel and diming... seems to me that just calling it an expansion would be far less overhead. * shrug *

Pesco
posted 01-07-2005 10:03:35 PM
Smedley has spoken:

quote:
Hello fellow Norrathians,

In the months since EverQuest II has launched, we have seen an overwhelming response to the game. Here at SOE we've spent a great deal of time charting the future course of EverQuest II and laying out a roadmap for continuing to evolve the world of Norrath. I'd like to share that plan with you now.

The Team
Making a game like EQ II is an amazingly complex and wonderful thing to behold. It involves people from a variety of different areas of expertise such as design, sound, programming, art and of course a management team to make sure everything is coming together smoothly. During the course of the development of EverQuest II, the team grew to over 100 people in size (and that's just the development team, not including QA, CS, Operations and our Platform teams which brings the total to over 250.)

What typically happens when making an MMO is that the "Live Team" that runs the game after it launches is usually a smaller subset of the team that developed the game. That team usually works on a combination of live updates and expansion packs that come out 1-2 times per year.

After listening to feedback from our players, we've decided to make a change to the way we've done things in the past, and focus on growing Norrath in new and exciting ways. This is going to mean keeping the team at it's existing size or even growing it in order to make sure we can do this the right way.

We see content being added to the game in three distinct ways: Live Updates, Expansion Packs and something new called Adventure Packs.

Live Updates
We plan on keeping the team that's focused on live updates working on expanding the game both through new zones, npcs, quests, features, spells, skills and new gameplay additions as well as fixing any bugs or issues that arise. All of this will be provided at no additional cost in constant updates that will come on a frequent basis roughly 1-2 times per month, depending on what we're specifically working on. All of this will be laid out on our website so you can have visibility into the exciting additions we have planned. We will be very responsive to our player-base and we plan on incorporating a lot of the feedback you give us through the forums into these live updates. This will represent the core of how we evolve Norrath.

I wanted to also point out that with respect to these live updates we plan on increasing the amount of new content that we give away at no extra cost.

In our most recent update we added:

Two new dungeons
Over two hundred new spells and combat arts
User interface enhancements
Dozens of new quests
With respect to our international customers, our plan is simple - to put out the English version of any new content to all servers and localize it as quickly as possible. In many cases at the same time the update goes live. From what our international customers have told us, getting the new content and features in game is the most important thing and we've listened.

Expansion Packs
We plan on releasing 2 expansion packs a year. These expansion packs are going to be large, game altering additions to the game that will be sold both at retail and online via digital download. In the past, we've had one team that would work on an expansion pack, and then move on to the next one. This meant keeping a very fast paced schedule and the expansions smaller in scale due to the timeframe. We are changing the way we do things with EverQuest II. As of now we have two expansion pack teams that are working on different expansions... The first one is due to be released sometime in the second half of 2005, thus giving us more time to develop and add cool new things. In fact, you're also in for a pretty big surprise when you see our first expansion pack for EQ II sometime later this year. We aren't just focusing on the typical new content you've seen in past expansions to MMOs (our own included.) We're also focused on radically new gameplay elements that have never been seen before in online games.

For our international customers, we will be launching our localized expansions at almost the same time (hopefully within days) they are released in the US.

Adventure Packs
Adventure Packs are a new style of content that we are introducing to EverQuest II. You can think of them as being similar to "Modules" from traditional tabletop RPGs. They will be heavily story driven and themed adventuring areas. We will provide a part of each of these Adventure Packs, at no extra charge, to all of our players. This should give everyone the opportunity to see if a particular Adventure Pack is the kind of thing they are interested in. You'll be able to buy these at any time, since they will be delivered digitally. We plan on keeping the price point for these low... In fact, our first one will be just US$4.99.

To give you an example of what we're talking about here... Imagine a 5 level dungeon. The first level is a place that all players will be able to access and explore. In order to adventure to the lower levels of the dungeon, you'll need to purchase the Adventure Pack. This gives you the chance to see if this particular Adventure Pack is something you're interested in.

We plan on keeping the Adventure packs coming on a very regular basis... Somewhere between 2 and 4 per year depending on what exactly we're doing.

We also will be giving Station Access members these Adventure Packs as part of their Station Access subscription, provided they have been members for at least 2 months (more specifics about this will be out shortly).

For our international customers, we plan on releasing the English versions at the same time and the localized versions shortly thereafter. Everyone will be able to play at the same time, and the localization should be finished shortly thereafter.

So, as you can see we plan on some pretty major things to be happening in the world of EverQuest II. We believe investing in the future of Norrath and providing the best possible game and service is the right thing to do for our players.

We welcome any comments you may have.

Thank You,

John Smedley
President, Sony Online Entertainment

As a Station Pass subscriber, this pleases me greatly. And $5 aint so bad, I was personally figuring $10.

Pesco fucked around with this message on 01-07-2005 at 10:05 PM.

Crezia
Pancake
posted 01-07-2005 10:27:57 PM
I question why they're planning (and likely already coding) two expansions per year plus the adventure packs when the current content is still flawed in numerous major ways. The latest patches, such as the tiny "don't notice me plz" patch that took all english servers down for days, and the latest BIG PATCH WHOO, which included such lovely things as constantly crashing tradeskill instances and a skill that crashed other zones, have been... shall we say, questionable?

I'm playing EQ2 and enjoying it, but ... I'm really afraid that it's going to quickly degenerate into old bugs, flaws, and inadequacies ignored or CREATED by the new content that's being pumped out.

Meh. As many people have said in many forums about most games' expansions and additions, WHY DON'T YOU FIX WHAT'S ALREADY THERE FIRST?

Pesco
posted 01-07-2005 10:36:14 PM
quote:
So quoth Crezia:
I question why they're planning (and likely already coding) two expansions per year plus the adventure packs when the current content is still flawed in numerous major ways.

You're ignorant to think that any MMO game don't have resources dedicated to expansions before or shortly after release. SoE just doesn't hide the fact they do that.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-07-2005 10:40:05 PM
quote:
Crezia said this about your mom:
I question why they're planning (and likely already coding) two expansions per year plus the adventure packs when the current content is still flawed in numerous major ways. The latest patches, such as the tiny "don't notice me plz" patch that took all english servers down for days, and the latest BIG PATCH WHOO, which included such lovely things as constantly crashing tradeskill instances and a skill that crashed other zones, have been... shall we say, questionable?

I'm playing EQ2 and enjoying it, but ... I'm really afraid that it's going to quickly degenerate into old bugs, flaws, and inadequacies ignored or CREATED by the new content that's being pumped out.

Meh. As many people have said in many forums about most games' expansions and additions, WHY DON'T YOU FIX WHAT'S ALREADY THERE FIRST?

They have different teams working on different things. There are many people that just cope with bugs they encounter, end eventually move past them. These people will need new content because they spend their time experiencing all that their is to experience.

I know that I would be pissed if I'd done everything there is to do, and a new expansion was delayed because the developers are 'supposed' to fix someone's armor graphic before they are 'allowed' to make new content.

Running an MMO requires great amounts of multitasking. The people fixing your bugs aren't the same people creating new content, so saying that one team should just sit on their hands because a different team has lots of work to do is, frankly, ludicrous.

Talonus
Loner
posted 01-07-2005 11:20:33 PM
quote:
Pesco's account was hax0red to write:
While I find it difficult to believe that the WoW crowd here would have had a similiar reaction if Blizzard were to announce something like this. ( It would be considerably more of a mixed reaction then those playing EQ2 )

I would. I can't stand the idea in general. MMOG developers have been minimizing the free content they push out to players and forcing them to buy expansion packs. Yes, I said force. In many MMOGs, you're simply going to be at a disadvantage because you didn't get that expansion pack. You're going to eventually have to buy it if you want your character to get better past a certain point.

Where's the free content that we saw in the past? Several years later and EQ has nowhere near the amount of free content AC or DAoC have release. Hell, CoH is rapidly approaching more free content than EQ released, despite being a much younger game. I want more games to give more free content, not taking SOE's example and looking at the expansion pack approach. If WoW were to be that bad down the road from now, I'd sure as hell bitch. If WoW were to pick up this idea, I'd sure as hell bitch too.

Cavalier-
Pancake
posted 01-07-2005 11:43:31 PM
quote:
Toktuk wrote this then went back to looking for porn:
This thread sucks.

That is all.

/agree

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 01-07-2005 11:51:32 PM
quote:
So quoth Pesco:
Smedley has spoken:

We also will be giving Station Access members these Adventure Packs as part of their Station Access subscription, provided they have been members for at least 2 months (more specifics about this will be out shortly

Sweet!

And Crezia, the tradeskill instance thing was fixed the same day. I was just fooling around in one last night.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-08-2005 12:01:09 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Pesco stammered:
While I find it difficult to believe that the WoW crowd here would have had a similiar reaction if Blizzard were to announce something like this. ( It would be considerably more of a mixed reaction then those playing EQ2 )

Yeah, and that's not because there are many more in the WoW crowd.

I'm trying to be nice about this, I really am. But I'm getting tired of people thinking it's ok to come into an EQ2 thread and bash all the people that play WoW and call them hypocrites when it is only a vocal few that are being as against it as they are.

Notice, I'm a member of the WoW crowd. I think this is a good idea for EQ2. I'd suggest not generalizing the entire WoW crowd as hypocritical types before you make another post on this subject.

Pesco
posted 01-08-2005 12:32:31 AM
And it is oh so much fun to deal with the general cynicism towards SoE and EQ related games. There is 2 sides to every fence you know and the WoW community here is far from innocent themselves.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-08-2005 12:34:47 AM
quote:
Verily, Talonus doth proclaim:
Several years later and EQ has nowhere near the amount of free content AC or DAoC have release.

I sure as hell know you couldn't pay me to get an Asheron's Call expansion pack.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-08-2005 12:45:40 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Pesco:
And it is oh so much fun to deal with the general cynicism towards SoE and EQ related games. There is 2 sides to every fence you know and the WoW community here is far from innocent themselves.

I don't recall saying every WoW member of the community is innocent. That doesn't mean that every one of them is guilty because they choose to play the same game, however.

Pesco
posted 01-08-2005 12:45:52 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Talonus said this:
I would. I can't stand the idea in general. MMOG developers have been minimizing the free content they push out to players and forcing them to buy expansion packs.
I want more games to give more free content, not taking SOE's example and looking at the expansion pack approach. If WoW were to be that bad down the road from now, I'd sure as hell bitch. If WoW were to pick up this idea, I'd sure as hell bitch too.

Had you read my second post, you would notice that they are giving free content to some. Let alone the fact that they DID release 2 new zones with this update, for free.

With a Station Pass I can play EQ, EQ2 and PS as my leisure for the price of 1 and 1/2. In addition, I now recieve smaller expansions for free. What they are doing is pushing their Station Pass access, which I am perfectly OK with. It is like Legends but it sucks a lot less.

SoE is looking at the bigger picture but the player base is very narrow minded and selfish.

Pesco
posted 01-08-2005 12:46:51 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr said this about your mom:
I don't recall saying every WoW member of the community is innocent. That doesn't mean that every one of them is guilty because they choose to play the same game, however.

Thus my original comments of the mixed reaction amoungst the WoW community. I'm just pointing out that I'm a little sick of it too from the flip side.

Crezia
Pancake
posted 01-08-2005 09:58:40 AM
quote:
This one time, at Densetsu camp:
The people fixing your bugs aren't the same people creating new content, so saying that one team should just sit on their hands because a different team has lots of work to do is, frankly, ludicrous.

I understand that SoE and every other MMO-running business develops both new content and manages and updates the existing simultaneously; I'm not ignorant to the fact, nor do I think that the expansions should just decide to sit in the corner until everything else is fixed.

What I was attempting to state is that if a team is working towards creating new content (something I presume requires a great expenditure of time, people, and money, than fixing the existing bugs and issues, though I admit I may be wrong), then shouldn't the other team, the one fixing bugs that are not just "mine," have the same amount of priority in terms of the staff and funding?

Here I will claim ignorance: I don't know what goes into SoE or any other game beyond vague generalities. But it seems to me that editing and revising existing code and issues requires a relatively less intense process than making some from scratch. And when the current content is that which is already paid for and is in a small part being paid for every month, shouldn't it get enough attention that the problems can be solved as fast if not faster than the rate new content is introduced?

EDIT: New content being content in an expansion pack, primarily.

Crezia fucked around with this message on 01-08-2005 at 10:00 AM.

Hireko
Kill a fish before breakfast each day
posted 01-08-2005 11:13:33 AM
quote:
Crezia had this to say about Tron:

What I was attempting to state is that if a team is working towards creating new content (something I presume requires a great expenditure of time, people, and money, than fixing the existing bugs and issues, though I admit I may be wrong), then shouldn't the other team, the one fixing bugs that are not just "mine," have the same amount of priority in terms of the staff and funding?

If a company were to devote themselves and all their manpower to fixing nothing but bugs and say, class balance, people would get bored. For all we as MMORPG gamers (of every game!) complain about bugs and class balance, we'd rather live with each of those problems for a little longer and in return get new content on some sort of schedule.

The truth of the pudding is in the eating, and more people cancel their subscriptions over having nothing to do, rather than waiting for a spell to be fixed, or an armor piece to give the correct bonus. At the very least, the players want to feel the company is doing something, and occasional bug fix patch notes is not going to keep them happy.

There's a really annoying bug in WoW, wherein some folks crash whenever they complete a quest in Lakeshire or Ratchet. I have this bug, and it does get on my nerves. But I'm more excited about upcoming battlegrounds than I am about not having to restart my computer every once and a while. Their bug team will eventually get to it, and I will cheer. I will cheer more for the new pvp content.

Those who dance are thought insane by those who can't hear the music.
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 01-08-2005 10:23:06 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Crezia:
But it seems to me that editing and revising existing code and issues requires a relatively less intense process than making some from scratch.

As I've been in CompSci before, I can tell you that that isn't always the case. In fact, I'd have to say it's more around 50/50.

Remember that to fix an error, it must first be found. It's a far more complex process than simply acknowledging that there is a problem with the software, typing a few lines of code, and sending the update. Sometimes, an error that causes massive problems with a game, such as crashes, can be as simple as two transposed letters in a single word of code. The problem is easily visible in-game, but how does one find that specific word of code, and those two specific letters?

I have a Pong program I coded as a CompSci class final project. It took me all of an hour and a half to get the code on the screen and working. It took me a bloody week and a half to debug. After that, the program still had a few bugs. I just couldn't find them. It's been about a year now. I have the code printed out on paper here beside me. Occasionally, I look over it again, to see if I can find the errors I was unable to fix in CompSci class. I still haven't.

And my buggy Pong program is only a couple hundred of lines of code, and was coded in QuickBasic. QuickBasic is a very easy-to-use, easy-to-understand programming language. You can pretty much go over each line of my Pong program and translate it into plain English. EverQuest II, on the other hand, is most likely coded in C++, an extremely advanced programming language, and the game consists of likely tens of thousands of lines of code. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it were really hundreds of thousands of code lines. When you have that much code in that difficult of a programming language, tiny errors such as two transposed letters get infinitely harder to spot.

Sometimes fixing the existing content is much, much harder than adding new content.

Ruvyen fucked around with this message on 01-08-2005 at 10:24 PM.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 01-09-2005 12:00:50 AM
quote:
Verily, Ruvyen doth proclaim:
C++, an extremely advanced programming language

Rooflz.

-Tok

All times are US/Eastern