EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Alternate History: What if...
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 10-18-2004 05:04:33 PM
I hold the same position as Maradon. The federal government should not be involved in marriage at all. The fairest way is for no one to get special treatment at all.
TheOriginalZane
Pancake
posted 10-18-2004 06:15:17 PM
Mistake.

TheOriginalZane fucked around with this message on 10-18-2004 at 06:16 PM.

The worst member of EC.
Live Journal
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 10-18-2004 06:46:24 PM
quote:
Aw, geez, I have Maradon! all over myself!
I agree, however the crux of the matter is not symantics, it's the preferential tax treatment alotted to married couples.

A friend of mine pointed out that the whole reason married couples recieved a tax break in the first place was to make it easier to support children and that homosexual couples did not have this need. Yes, some homosexual couples adopt, some straight couples cannot concieve, but by and large not enough homosexual couples support children to warrant their recieving a tax break.

Explained like that, I can almost agree with it. I still favor erasing all mention of marriage from government, and allowing homosexual couples to visit one another in the hospital and such, however.

Your friend is still advocating discrimination, plain and simple. Denying one group something because, stastically, they don't do that something a lot is not pragmatism. Unless your friend is advocating that any couple, gay or straight, be denied the right to marry if they don't have kids, it remains a discriminatory policy towards homosexuals. Otherwise, it's simply a discriminatory policy towards childless couples in general, but the merit of such a policy is the realm of another discussion altogether.

My girlfriend and I plan to have no children. Ask your friend if we should be denied the right to marry. I'd be very interested to hear his or her response.

And while we're on the subject, I'd like to see the right of religious officials to legally marry people revoked. That way every legal marriage must be a civil marriage, performed by an officant of the state. If, after that, a couple wants the whole spiel in the church to make it official in the eyes of their god, then good on them.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-18-2004 08:33:54 PM
There should not be a ban on Karnaj getting married as much as there should be a ban on Karnaj's seed going anywhere but the destructicator.
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 10-18-2004 08:56:40 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
There should not be a ban on Karnaj getting married as much as there should be a ban on Karnaj's seed going anywhere but the destructicator.

lol, Destructicator

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: