EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: EQII NDA Lifted
Willias
Pancake
posted 10-17-2004 08:07:49 PM
quote:
Delidgamond stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
WoW is not constant action. All the way to level 14 I probably had more travelling than action. "Run 5 minutes North and kill 10 kobolds than run back. Now run 5 minutes East and kill 10 Bears and run back" etc... It's just that you feel you keep progressing which makes it playable. If I were to do that and only get a tiny bit of exp I would just exp grind by killing creatures.

Okay, how about this: In WoW, I always felt like there was some goal to reach. Some point to actually playing. In EQ2, that doesn't really exist. You level up, get more quests, do more killing, rinse, repeat. In WoW, as you completed quests, you'd eventually get quests that lead to other areas, areas that you needed to go to in order to advance further in the game. You don't really have that in EQ2.

And by the way, in World of Warcraft, usually it DID feel like I was always doing SOMETHING and usually it wasn't running. Load up with 3 or 4 quests from town, then run around and do those before heading back.

I guess what I'm really trying to get at is that I had more fun in the 7 day stress test of World of Warcraft than I have had in EQ2 so far.

Edit: And by the way, if you do quests in EQ2, you'll do more running around than you do in World of Warcraft.

Willias fucked around with this message on 10-17-2004 at 08:08 PM.

Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 10-17-2004 10:49:21 PM
Again.. you have to play the game to get the full feel.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 10-17-2004 11:09:59 PM
quote:
Pesco had this to say about John Romero:

kinda like doom 3 in that respect, eh?

Talonus
Loner
posted 10-17-2004 11:18:13 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Pesco said:

I'd have to agree. It looks pretty bad from that screenshot.

On a side note though, does every quest start out with "I must..."? Doesn't that get annoying?

Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-17-2004 11:19:12 PM
I foresee the biggest problem with EQ2 being it's made and operated by the people who made EQ.
Willias
Pancake
posted 10-17-2004 11:26:57 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Robocop:
I foresee the biggest problem with EQ2 being it's made and operated by the people who made EQ.

Verant made EQ. SOE is making EQ2. Not the same people.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-17-2004 11:31:02 PM
quote:
So quoth Willias:
Verant made EQ. SOE is making EQ2. Not the same people.

Even worse.

Pesco
posted 10-18-2004 01:57:46 AM
quote:
Talonus thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
I'd have to agree. It looks pretty bad from that screenshot.

On a side note though, does every quest start out with "I must..."? Doesn't that get annoying?

My current machine is unable to run EQII on any decent display setting, so yea, much like Doom 3. Ofcourse, my machine is also several years old. The display settings are the following:

Extreme Quality
Very High Quality
High Quality
Balance
High Performance
Very High Performance <--- I'm here
Extreme Performance

The game is pretty has hell on Extreme Quality, but just like Doom 3 will bring high end computers to their knees. Also, it renders detail by how far away I am from the character. Since I'm in 3rd person, it kicked down the level of detail on the models per my setup.

If you can run EQ, you can run EQII, just dont expect it to look like SoE has presented it to you if you don't have a relatively new mahcine. But trust me, I've seen it on a relatively new machine ( hardware within the last few months ) and it looks really nice.

Pesco fucked around with this message on 10-18-2004 at 01:59 AM.

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 10-18-2004 03:47:24 AM
That UI is simply so fucking ugly.

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-18-2004 04:10:20 AM
I'm not really sure why they put "You" in all caps, either.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 10-18-2004 04:27:44 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan came out of the closet to say:
I'm not really sure why they put "You" in all caps, either.

Pain and suffering attacks YOU, but misses!

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 10-18-2004 04:30:03 AM
HELLO?!?!
This is really lacking for an EQ2 thread!
Where are all the pictures of female dark elf butts!?!

(_|_)(_|_)(_|_)

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-18-2004 07:07:32 AM
quote:
Willias had this to say about Pirotess:
Tip: In Qeynos, you can get to level 11 or so by only killing monsters needed for the Hallmark quests. Seriously, there are THAT MANY "run around town and give an npc shit" quests.

Note: Hallmark quests are quests that you are required to complete to progress in the game. First is at level 6, where you must become a citizen (get a house in a city and do a quest to get a weapon, ring, and ability that allows you to port back to your home sector of town) of Qeynos or Freeport. Second is at level 10 where you must pick your class.
(Note: Archetype is at level 3. You basicly start the game at level 3. This varies from: fighter, mage, priest, and scout. Class is at level 10 where each archetype splits off 3 different ways, and subclass is where each class becomes more specialized in different spells, and splits off into 2 different choices.)

I hope the only ones are for progressing into the archetypes and that thye don't go into a (stupid stupid stupid) FFXI-like system (Genkai sucks balls from what I hear.)

Kael
Whistlepig
posted 10-18-2004 07:29:40 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr's account was hax0red to write:
I hope the only ones are for progressing into the archetypes and that thye don't go into a (stupid stupid stupid) FFXI-like system (Genkai sucks balls from what I hear.)

Easy if you have friends to help.

Talonus
Loner
posted 10-18-2004 07:39:24 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Robocop:

Genkai wasn't that bad, really. Its only the first one that really sucked.

Talonus fucked around with this message on 10-18-2004 at 07:40 AM.

Kael
Whistlepig
posted 10-18-2004 07:47:23 AM
First one only sucks due to the drop rate. Having a Thief fixes that.
Willias
Pancake
posted 10-18-2004 08:34:44 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Falaanla Marr wrote:

Level 6 to 7 one is cake. You get a house, talk to an npc inside, they give you a piece of furnature. They then tell you to go find the banker in your race's district. After coming back from talking to the banker, you get another piece of furnature and the npc sends you out again, this time to look for all of the ways you can get to hunting areas from your home district. Once you've done that, the npc will give you one final piece of furnature and tell you that now you need citizenship. You go to the inner city gate of your district and double click a sign there. You get a scroll that gives you the quest of collecting 5 tokens from mobs (completely random if you get one or not, but your chances of finding the tokens are high, so it doesn't take long) from a specified newbie area connected to your home district. After you collect all 5 tokens, you go back and double click on the sign and are sent into a mini instance. In this instance, you are given a task that you must complete [Qeynos: Try to talk to 4 npcs, if they won't respond or can't be brought to the side of good, kill them. Freeport: Kill all 4 traitors of Freeport.] and the reward you get is 1) The ability to level to level 10, 2) Call of (Overlord or Qeynos, depends on city), 3) a citizenship ring, and 4) a citizenship weapon. Also, after gaining citizenship, you are allowed into the inner districts (Qeynos: Elddar Grove, Qeynos Harbor, South Qeynos, North Qeynos) (Freeport: North, South, East, and West Freeport) of your hometown.

Note that while the above paragraph makes this quest seem insanely long, the quest only takes an hour or less to complete. Also note, that the level 10 class quest is much longer, and harder to complete. Finally, Hallmarks aren't just level raising quests, my brother found one that would enable his ogre to become a citizen of Qeynos.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 10-18-2004 01:17:36 PM
quote:
Willias's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Also note, that the level 10 class quest is much longer, and harder to complete.

I guess that's still just you, then. Once I hit level 9 I went and talked to the Fighter NPC. He first told me about being a Warrior like he is. Then he sent me to talk to two NPCs in Qeynos to find out what being a Brawler is like. When I found them, I had to throw punches at them for them to demonstrate how a Brawler fights. After that, he sent me around to several Guard NPCs to show me what a Crusader (or defender? Whatever the third fighter class is) does, and to tell them that what they do is appreciated. After that, i chose to become a Brawler, and he sent me to a Dojo in the same zone where I had to defeat 4 Brawlers in 1-on-1 combat. After that, I became a Brawler as soon as I reached level 10.

Took me about an hour. And that's only because I had no idea where the NPCs were in the zones. I imagine maybe half an hour if you've done it before.

[Edit: Plus, once the Dimension of No Return incident was over and I could actually DO my citizenship quest, it only took me about 30 minutes to complete it.]

Densetsu fucked around with this message on 10-18-2004 at 01:20 PM.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Willias
Pancake
posted 10-18-2004 06:22:59 PM
quote:
Densetsu stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
I guess that's still just you, then. Once I hit level 9 I went and talked to the Fighter NPC. He first told me about being a Warrior like he is. Then he sent me to talk to two NPCs in Qeynos to find out what being a Brawler is like. When I found them, I had to throw punches at them for them to demonstrate how a Brawler fights. After that, he sent me around to several Guard NPCs to show me what a Crusader (or defender? Whatever the third fighter class is) does, and to tell them that what they do is appreciated. After that, i chose to become a Brawler, and he sent me to a Dojo in the same zone where I had to defeat 4 Brawlers in 1-on-1 combat. After that, I became a Brawler as soon as I reached level 10.

Took me about an hour. And that's only because I had no idea where the NPCs were in the zones. I imagine maybe half an hour if you've done it before.

[Edit: Plus, once the Dimension of No Return incident was over and I could actually DO my citizenship quest, it only took me about 30 minutes to complete it.]

I suppose I could have been off on the times by a bit. IMO, the class quest is still longer and a bit harder to complete than the citizenship quest.

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 10-18-2004 09:31:16 PM
quote:
Black said this about your mom:

Agreed!

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Pesco
posted 10-18-2004 09:46:01 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Black:

Same scenerio as the current EQ UI... XML based, fully customizable.

I'm really happy they realized they suck at making UIs and let the players do it.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: