EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: You're Opinions Are Gonna Earn Me an A!
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 03-10-2004 01:10:33 AM
I intend to see this movie when it comes out on DVD.

I may not be a Christian, but I used to be one, and this is still something important to me. If it really can have the impact on people that I've heard about, I really don't want a crowd of strangers around me when I see it. I want to be honest with myself, and not be worried about what the people around me think. (Crowds make me paranoid.)

The owner of the company I work for has put out memos saying that he's bought out a showing at the local theatre, and he's giving out the tickets free to his workers till they're all gone. I find this a disturbing thing to think about, it makes me feel like my job might be at risk if I went and didn't react how he thinks people should.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Mod
Pancake
posted 03-10-2004 03:37:29 AM
I haven't seen it but making a movie that takes it's text directly from a book doesn't sound like it is easy to do well. I'll probably see it when it's out as a rental.

Oh and I don't see why you guys are complaining about subtitiles so much, I wish more movies used subtitles when being translated instead of dubbing over them using the same three cheap voice actors.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Tsunami
I like pizza.
posted 03-10-2004 03:43:00 AM
I thought it was pretty good, actually, but my mother finding me and scolding me about being on the fence about christianity was pretty damned annoying. And subtitled movies are awesome... Most of them sound better than straight out english, in my humble opinion.
Moo.
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 03-10-2004 03:50:19 AM
Just learn Latin so you don't need the subtitles.
Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 03-10-2004 07:18:49 AM
I personally think it's a good thing. If you happen to believe in Christianity (I don't as such but that's another story), I feel it's good that he seems to have tried to show Jesus' story without the romantic embelishments added over the years.

As a friend of mine said, 'Seeing Jesus get the shit kicked out of him for two hours does make you reconsider what you think of the guy'

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 03-10-2004 01:18:10 PM
quote:
How.... Snoota.... uughhhhhh:
Just learn Latin so you don't need the subtitles.

Aramaic.

BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 03-10-2004 01:43:05 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr said this about your mom:
I've done alot of reading up, and I honestly do believe Mel wanted to try to reach the non-Christians out there with this movie. Unless he has absolutely lied about his life in the past and how he came to his current faith/what his current faith is, I'm pretty damn sure this wasn't a money grab for him.

That sounded like you were inferring that he wanted to push his religion on everyone else in the world.

and as open minded as I am, I won't be seeing this movie. I don't want the person two seats down to start bawling in the middle of the movie. That's a bit extreme.

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Lady Delirium
Drysart loves me!
posted 03-10-2004 03:27:57 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Gikk said:
Aramaic.

i believe it was in both

thank you so much you guys, keep at it!!!

yes, that is maradon spining around in a chair ^_ ____ _ ^
Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 03-10-2004 04:01:35 PM
This particular movie was being discussed on the radio earlier...

People who have seen this movie so far on Guam say it was an awesome movie.

As for my opinion, I would like this movie, I think. The violence bothers some people because it actually happened. Also, from the radio so I learned that Mel Gibson isn't Anti-Semetic(sp?), but his father is/was. I guess in a way, Mel made this movie in an attempt separate himself from his father....

on a side note, I find it funny that while the older catholics on this island loved this movie, they went and protested when the play "The Vagina Monologues" was playing last weekend.

[ 03-10-2004: Message edited by: Kennatsu ]

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: