EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I got 2 new pets today!
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 01-06-2004 01:42:25 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Azizza was all like:
Good Lord. My only real FW tank (not counting my Betta) is a Chiclid tank. I think I will scratch that breed right off the list. I will stick to Convicts and Cory Cats!

The African versions (The Black ones and Red Ones we had) were perfectly fine. They got rowdy on occasion, but we had 8 of them, and they got along REALLY well, and no problems. Whats sad is, the Texas version (Believe it or not!) is supposed to be the smaller breed, and does in fact only grow to 12" instead of 14" like the Africans. But just one of him, versus 8 of them, at thier size or smaller, and they were no more.

The breed itself is GORGEOUS... But expect to have one, and ONLY one fish ever.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 01-06-2004 01:44:10 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Faelynn LeAndris stammered:
I have a Sea Monster in my Fish Tank.

It's a Texas Chhiclid (Or however you spell). We knew when we got it they bastards were violent, and that could only put them in with similiar, or like minded fish. Which is what we have done.

When he was itty bitty, we put him in with similiar sized African Chiclids we already had, which he promptly killed, and then ate. We then got some larger chiclids, and put them in... They lasted a day at least before he raped and murdered them too.

We THEN added a 13" Rope Fish, also violent fuckers, and contrictors, and very large... We found his head bobbing around the tree one morning a few days later.

THEN we tried something else, and cross specied the tank. We added Mud Dogs (If you don't know what these are, that are rather large 6-12" Amphibians that can live indefinitely auquatically if you keep the temperature cold enough. Warmer water causes them to mutated into Salamanders.) They are vicious meat eaters that eat anything that moves that is smaller than they are... We got three of them. (Mind you, this is fine, its a 44 gallon tank, plenty of room) We found arms and legs a few mornings later, and i think it was a piece of tail...

Our Texas Chiclid is now 8" (Up from 3" when we got him), and quite healthy....

Texas Chiclids are fucking monsters.

Is it wrong that I nearly fell off my chair laughing at this? (no offensem, I just found it REALLY funny)

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 01-06-2004 01:46:15 AM
quote:
BeauChan obviously shouldn't have said:
Is it wrong that I nearly fell off my chair laughing at this? (no offensem, I just found it REALLY funny)

It's wrong when you concider ow much money we spent on such a large tank, and have only one fish. Not to MENTION all the money we spent trying to put more fish in.

I would be a bastard, and just genocide the thing (Not really, they live in brakkish water naturally, I'd just go release him in the lake at my house) but the girls positively adore him, and I'd catch hell.

My LAUNCHCast Station
BeauChan
posted 01-06-2004 01:47:17 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Faelynn LeAndris wrote:
It's wrong when you concider ow much money we spent on such a large tank, and have only one fish. Not to MENTION all the money we spent trying to put more fish in.

I would be a bastard, and just genocide the thing (Not really, they live in brakkish water naturally, I'd just go release him in the lake at my house) but the girls positively adore him, and I'd catch hell.

there'd be no more fish in that lake though.

I demand a picture.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 01-06-2004 01:47:40 AM
Sounds like a Yellow Tailed Blue Damsel I had a while Back. This fish was just a tad over 1 inch long. But he was a terror in my tank. I had a Panther Grouper in the tank that was about 6 inches long. These guys are big and aggressive fish that can get up to 20 inches long. The Damsel was almost fully grown.

That yellow Tailed Damsel would wait for the Panther to swim near and he would Dart out to take a swipe at the poor guy. He almost killed the Grouper before I got him out of there.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 01-06-2004 01:48:01 AM
Oh... I will mention the one fun part though, I love playing this one game with my visitors called. "Put your finger in and pet the fish!"

My LAUNCHCast Station
BeauChan
posted 01-06-2004 01:48:41 AM
remind me to never play games if I ever get to visit you O_o
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 01-06-2004 01:49:39 AM
Oh and Fae. you can mosey on over to Fishprofiles and ask in the Chiclid Forums what they think you could do or what would go well with Satan in your tank.

Oh my god LOL. My Buddy does that with a Niger trigger in his tank. He tells people how nice the fish is and shows how it will follow your finger. Well as soon as they put theier finger IN the water. That trigger is there. It is big enough to get your fingertip easily into the mouth. And these guys can bite HARD.

[ 01-06-2004: Message edited by: Azizza ]

BeauChan
posted 01-06-2004 01:51:03 AM
"Does anyone know a way to exorcise the devil from my fish?"

sorry, I'm kinda doped up on medicine right now... I realise it shouldn't be funny, but It is to me...

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 01-06-2004 01:51:15 AM
quote:
Azizza probably says this to all the girls:
Oh and Fae. you can mosey on over to Fishprofiles and ask in the Chiclid Forums what they think you could do or what would go well with Satan in your tank.

We tried asking the profesionals.. They said, get a Red Devil, it should be able to hold it's own and survive. $14 Fish, I'll give you one guess to what happened.

Edit: Oh, I am mot making this stuff up, heh. There are ECers here who have seen this thing, and the tank of murder. To vouch for it.

[ 01-06-2004: Message edited by: Faelynn LeAndris ]

My LAUNCHCast Station
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 01-06-2004 01:55:50 AM
I have no doubt about that. I have seen my share of Demon Fish. Got rid of all mine though. I am very careful about the fish I buy now.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 01-06-2004 05:19:35 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Faelynn LeAndris wrote:
I have a Sea Monster in my Fish Tank.

It's a Texas Chhiclid (Or however you spell). We knew when we got it they bastards were violent, and that could only put them in with similiar, or like minded fish. Which is what we have done.

When he was itty bitty, we put him in with similiar sized African Chiclids we already had, which he promptly killed, and then ate. We then got some larger chiclids, and put them in... They lasted a day at least before he raped and murdered them too.

We THEN added a 13" Rope Fish, also violent fuckers, and contrictors, and very large... We found his head bobbing around the tree one morning a few days later.

THEN we tried something else, and cross specied the tank. We added Mud Dogs (If you don't know what these are, that are rather large 6-12" Amphibians that can live indefinitely auquatically if you keep the temperature cold enough. Warmer water causes them to mutated into Salamanders.) They are vicious meat eaters that eat anything that moves that is smaller than they are... We got three of them. (Mind you, this is fine, its a 44 gallon tank, plenty of room) We found arms and legs a few mornings later, and i think it was a piece of tail...

Our Texas Chiclid is now 8" (Up from 3" when we got him), and quite healthy....

Texas Chiclids are fucking monsters.

Densetsu cannot stop laughing. In the process, he wakes up his roommates, who are now very sore at him.

[ 01-06-2004: Message edited by: Hungry Densetsu ]

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Timpofee
Mancake
posted 01-06-2004 11:40:40 AM
*gets in a fetal position* Cant sleep at Fae's... fish will eat me... Cant sleep at Fae's... Fish will eat me... Cant sleep at Fae's... Fish will eat me... Cant sleep at Fae's... Fish will eat me... Cant sleep at Fae's... Fish will eat me... Cant sleep at Fae's... Fish will eat me... Cant sleep at Fae's... Fish will eat me... Cant sleep at Fae's... Fish will eat me...
BeauChan
posted 01-06-2004 11:42:42 AM
They have been named by my roomate!!

The orange one is peaches (peach for short, of course)
and the white one is schnapps (snappy for short)

YAY

lol@Timpofee

BeauChan
posted 01-06-2004 11:51:47 AM
oh, and one of my roomate's fish died, she left the room for 2 minutes and he was upside down, floating there when she got back.

goldfish are dirty fish! I've already had to clean the tank. >_< the water was all cloudy and my fish were sitting at the top sucking in air, i think that we need to see the lady at pets mart to see if there's any other way than filtration to get oxygen in the water.

I'm getting them one more friend today, possibly a slightly larger one, we'll see.

BeauChan
posted 01-06-2004 03:56:07 PM
okay, i couldn't help it... i got 2 more ^_^

they're names are morticia and gomez. just because.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 01-06-2004 04:23:47 PM
WAY overstocked there hon!..
Demos
Pancake
posted 01-06-2004 04:31:59 PM
My brother was given his 75 gallon tank with 5 cichlids. There are 3 left. One was sick, and the other one picked a fight with a lobster.

The remaining ones are pansies. They run when anyone enters the room. Even the 2" albino frog doesn't get hassled.

But now, we've had a freshwater moray eel for about a month, and its adapted to the point where it comes out. These things eat live food, and are considered very agressive too. The frog kicked it in the head.

This sucker will get about 2 feet long.

Edit: Two of the remaining cichlids, which are about 8-9" long, are Jack Dempsey Cichlids. They are pretty...their scales are almost holographic.

These are some of my favorite cichlids...

Oh...and Fae, does this look like Satan?

[ 01-06-2004: Message edited by: Demos ]

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 01-06-2004 05:15:12 PM
quote:
Demos stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:

Oh...and Fae, does this look like Satan?

Only he is silver, blue, and green.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Demos
Pancake
posted 01-06-2004 06:02:43 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Faelynn LeAndris!
Only he is silver, blue, and green.

This it? Green Texas Cichlid.

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Ruvie's Alt
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
posted 01-06-2004 09:56:42 PM
I never understood why people name their fish. There's only one thing I call fish: Dinner.

Our only wish, to catch a fish, so juicy SWEEEEET!

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 01-06-2004 10:22:04 PM
quote:
From the book of Demos, chapter 3, verse 16:
This it? Green Texas Cichlid.

Right coloration this time, but body shape is wrong. Same body as the previous one you posted, but with that coloration. And the black spots (Like in the first one you posted) that lead from halfway down the body, back to the tail.

He's also SLIGHTLY lighter than that one.
When I can get my Cam working, I'll take pics.

[ 01-06-2004: Message edited by: Faelynn LeAndris ]

My LAUNCHCast Station
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 01-06-2004 11:33:44 PM
We started out with a Betta in his own glass vase, and two Goldfish in a small tank. Then I realised that Goldfish grow really fast so I bought a 10 gallon tank for my goldfish. Only one of my original goldfish is alive still. His name is Gordon. Our Betta is Elevensies.

You are so right about it being addicting. I love my fish. Gordon is a calico Goldfish, with all the fancy fins and tail fins. I want to get a second Goldfish for Gordon to have as a friend, but UBT is resisting me, I will eventually win that battle. One fish in a 10 gallon tank looks so lonely!

Elevensies is a royal blue Betta with the long fancy ripply fins. He is gorgeous. I love to just watch him swim around in his vase. I put live bamboo and pretty rocks for him to rest on in the vase, and he is very happy. He is very personable and when I go to the vase, he "talks" to me by wiggling about and getting all excited.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 01-06-2004 11:50:11 PM
I just read that you got two more fish.. Azziza is right. You are going to need a bigger tank for that ASAP.

Azizza can tell you better, because my mind goes wonky a bit.. but I think that you need a gallon of water per inch of fish. Plus, with Goldfish, they are dirty and they grow very quickly. That is why my one 5 inch Goldfish is in a 10 gallon tank. I had two fish in there, but I hadn't waited long enough for the tank to "season" before I plopped them in there from their old tank and the other fish died. When you get a new tank you have to let the tank grow good bacteria for about a week or ten days before you can put the fish in.

If you have 4 fish in a 1 gallon tank your fish are going to die on you.

Peter
Pancake
posted 01-07-2004 12:03:16 AM
quote:
Faelynn LeAndris's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
.... I'd just go release him in the lake at my house...

Never, EVER do this. Releasing exotic fish into a body of water is a bad idea, half the time they end up killing the natives, or worse they carry in some little bugger parasite that kills the natives--Check out how Whirling Disease has hurt Freshwater fish in the Mid and Northwest.

As for Chilids, when we lived in Oklahoma, we had a Oscar, big fooker, we used to feed him the left over minnows when we came back from fishing. He died when we moved. I Had a Dempsy, it dominated the tank, Till my Older fucktard brother bought a big Oscar to kill him.

And Azzia, Ihope they didn't really charge you much for that urchin, those things are as big of a pest as starfish. My favorite fish...TUNA, but that because they are tasty, and are fun to catch See:

[ 01-07-2004: Message edited by: Pyscho_Pike ]

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 01-07-2004 01:35:29 AM
quote:
Pyscho_Pike's account was hax0red to write:
Never, EVER do this. Releasing exotic fish into a body of water is a bad idea, half the time they end up killing the natives, or worse they carry in some little bugger parasite that kills the natives--Check out how Whirling Disease has hurt Freshwater fish in the Mid and Northwest.

As for Chilids, when we lived in Oklahoma, we had a Oscar, big fooker, we used to feed him the left over minnows when we came back from fishing. He died when we moved. I Had a Dempsy, it dominated the tank, Till my Older fucktard brother bought a big Oscar to kill him.

And Azzia, Ihope they didn't really charge you much for that urchin, those things are as big of a pest as starfish. My favorite fish...TUNA, but that because they are tasty, and are fun to catch See:

Um... Psycho. Texas Chilids are farmed right here in our own lakes, and Red River, so they are native to the region (As well as other areas) Oscars are the more exotic variety, and some other Chilids.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 01-07-2004 01:54:21 AM
Some people consider Urchins Pests because they eat Coraline Alage, which most people want. Also Pencil urchins and Sea Apples can dig thier spines into rocks and break them up. However Black Spiney Urchins like mine are not that bad. THey do eat Coraline but not enough to matter, and they can't destroy rocks.

The biggest problem is when I am cleaning the tank and bump it by accident. The spines are basicly like glass. The tips are very sharp and they break easy. So if I bump it by accident I have to remove barbs from my arm/hand/fingers. Hurts like a bitch and they have a mild poison that causes a good bit of swelling in me.

However the bennefit besides the looks is that my Bangii Cardinals have a better chance of breeding when they are around. The babies will live around the spines. THey will live here for months to stay away from predators and then start venturing out where I can net them and sell them to my LFS

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 01-07-2004 01:55:41 AM
The general rule for fish is 1 inch per gallon of Feshwater (1 per 2 gallon for gold fish) And 1 inch per 5 gallons in Saltwater.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: