EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The Satan Mart challenge

can you please fix my title
posted 12-08-2003 10:56:17 AM
Ok since I cant seem to convince anyone that wal mart is a evil company or the worst example of its particular industry or its negative impact on small town america and third world nations.

How about some of you people with the time and the inclination prove my point for me.

thanks

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Star Collective
Pancake
posted 12-08-2003 11:05:24 AM
Three Words.

Let.

It.

Die.

The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. - Ursula K. LeGuin ~ The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 12-08-2003 11:06:54 AM
No one says they aren't strong arming companies or acting in a way that is not in the spirit of the traditional competitive commercial market, but they are doing nothing illegal. That's all people are really saying. They are just a buisness, and they are doing what is legal and in their every right to do to make money. You might not like it, and you might not like the effect it has, but just like with microsoft, you gotta just learn to live with it, because that's the way capitalism works.

And 'satan mart' has to be the stupidist thing i have ever heard in my entire life.

BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 12-08-2003 11:09:47 AM
I agree with StarCollective.... let it die... i think this is gonna be like the FFXI thing... *shivers*
Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 12-08-2003 11:11:40 AM
Sean
posted 12-08-2003 11:19:27 AM
b&
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

posted 12-08-2003 11:25:00 AM
micro soft gives back to the comunity in the terms of scholarships, grants endowments. they have internships and comunity programs. its executives give to charities.

Mr gates has given over 500 MILLION to various charities.

none of the Waltons have given anything to anyone but themselves.

If walmart was the same as Microsoft Id have no complaint

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Drakkenmaw
Crunchy, tastes good with ketchup
posted 12-08-2003 11:28:39 AM
This argument has been made before. Hell, I've made it and demonstrated it before. They run a very cut-throat operation, despite their "family-friendly atmosphere," and tend to have a detrimental effect on their business partners - be they other companies, foreign nations, or even the cities where they set up Supercenters.

But, y'know what? I do still shop there. Going today, in fact, to do that very thing. And why?

They're cheap as anything to buy stuff from.

That's the crux of it, the reason I don't moralize over it or attempt any sort of boycott. I try to support the local businesses around here, but frankly - if I need stuff for very little money, I'm going to WallyWorld. They do what they do - selling crap for low prices - very well. And, for everything bad that they do, I'm pragmatic enough to recognize that if I have the choice of getting a decent amount of stuff with my last $20 or having to choose between caffeine and food for the week of finals, I can stand to support an evil corporate empire. Just a little bit.

Pragmatism wins. Let it go.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 12-08-2003 11:30:56 AM
Psst, Somthor.

Trying to get someone smarter than you to do your work for you by making it a 'challenge' is a pretty stupid ploy, and not likely to work. I think you'd have more luck by simply grovelling on the ground, whining, and acting pathetic until someone actually backed you up out of sheer pity. But then, your chances for that are pretty damn small too.

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 12-08-2003 11:32:50 AM
drop the anti-walmart already. No one cares.
Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj

posted 12-08-2003 11:36:44 AM
Hey I figure it could have worked, people do love challenges. sides groveling doenst cut it for me. I'll just shelve this til another day.

Wal marts products are genarly cheaper, but if you have to replace the cheap item a few times in a year have you really saved money?

People who shop at wal mart are genarly penny wise dollar stupid.

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 12-08-2003 11:45:53 AM
nice blanket statement there.
Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Drakkenmaw
posted 12-08-2003 11:47:31 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Somthor said:
Wal marts products are genarly cheaper, but if you have to replace the cheap item a few times in a year have you really saved money?

I'm talking about buying FOOD. It's not like I'm going to be buying furniture or anything. The quality is low, yes. But I'm a college student. I can live off it for a week, if it means being able to buy caffeinated beverages.

Besides - for most things that Wal-Mart sells here, the only other option is an hour's trip to another city to buy it from Target. This is a small college town - about the only variety you'll find here is in school supplies and alcohol.

Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 12-08-2003 11:48:50 AM
Dude, walmart is a lot like microsoft. They found a niche, and they do what they do EXTREMELY well. People somehow think they're evil for.. GASP!! making money. That's why they're there.
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 12-08-2003 12:07:33 PM
quote:
Somthor had this to say about Punky Brewster:
micro soft gives back to the comunity in the terms of scholarships, grants endowments. they have internships and comunity programs. its executives give to charities.

Hello.

You are wrong.

Walmart is known for thier community service.

Every store has someone who's sole purpose is to raise money for the Children's Miracle Network. CMNs work HARD, too.
http://www.walmartstores.com/wmstore/wmstores/Mainsearch.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1021472570.1070903148@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceadcjjgkgekecfkfcfkjdgoodglg.0&categoryOID=-8248&SearchSelect =Entire+Site&Searchtxt=children%27s+miracle+network

LET IT GO.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-08-2003 12:07:43 PM
quote:
Vorago was listening to Cher while typing:
And people wonder why Somthor is such a scapegoat for the forum? Heh

YOU XENOPHOBIC ASSHOLE! HOW DARE YOU REALIZE THAT CERTAIN PEOPLE ARE IMBECILES! I'LL KILL YOU!

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 12-08-2003 12:10:50 PM
quote:
Somthor obviously shouldn't have said:
Hey I figure it could have worked, people do love challenges. sides groveling doenst cut it for me. I'll just shelve this til another day.

Oh, and if you buy the store generic ANYTHING, it won't last as long as a brand name; but walmart sells brand names! In fact, they are the exact same product they sell everyone else. However, you can get it as cheap/cheaper at Wal-mart then at say.. Target or K-mart! For the exact same game system, digital camera, or vaccuum. Now why would you buy it anywhere else?

So let's keep making sweeping generalized statements with no proof, shall we?

Captain Hagrid Starcrust III
Pancake
posted 12-08-2003 12:14:42 PM
In 1999 Wal-Mart gave more than $163 million to charitable organizations and around $195 million in 2000. I couldn't find any numbers on 2002, but they're expecting even more by the end of this year.

Now post another thread so we can show you again that you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

[ 12-08-2003: Message edited by: Chief Durkin ]

Tally of foods I haven't fucked up:
  • Grilled Cheese
  • Home Fries
  • Tuna Salad Sandwich
  • Hard boiled egg
    Live Journaley Goodness
  • Blindy.
    Suicide (Also: Gay.)
    posted 12-08-2003 12:17:32 PM
    quote:
    Somthor was listening to Cher while typing:

most that value of what he's given to charity is microsoft software licences

"Oh, thanks for helping us out by getting us reliant on your product."

Khyron
    posted 12-08-2003 12:22:09 PM
    $atanMart is evil! I know they're evil, because I used a $! This means they only care about MONEYS! EVIL ANTICHRIST PEOPLE! HOW DARE THEY RUN A SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS!
    Mr. Parcelan
    posted 12-08-2003 12:27:41 PM
    quote:
    This insanity brought to you by Khyron:
    $atanMart is evil! I know they're evil, because I used a $! This means they only care about MONEYS! EVIL ANTICHRIST PEOPLE! HOW DARE THEY RUN A SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS!

YOU CAN'T TALK THAT WAY TO AN IDIOT! THAT'S XENOPHOBIC! I HATE YOU!

Drakkenmaw
    posted 12-08-2003 12:29:18 PM
    quote:
    Gikk wrote this stupid crap:
    Oh, and if you buy the store generic ANYTHING, it won't last as long as a brand name; but walmart sells brand names! In fact, they are the exact same product they sell everyone else. However, you can get it as cheap/cheaper at Wal-mart then at say.. Target or K-mart! For the exact same game system, digital camera, or vaccuum. Now why would you buy it anywhere else?

So let's keep making sweeping generalized statements with no proof, shall we?

Uh... In a small defense, Wal-Mart has a tendency to be very abusive to their suppliers, using their buying power to leverage those they buy from into using the same "vicious" business strategies that they use. Wal-Mart is one of the few businesses which adopts a "management strategy" for other companies, changing the way they do business or threatening to break contracts for cheaper production companies - and their management strategy is both anti-union and highly cutthroat. It promotes potential employee abuse, and creates a more dangerous work environment as the "cut costs to cut prices" mantra is followed to a sometimes-ludicrous extent. It is in that way that they manage to make prices as low as they are in their store, and yet still turn the profits they do.

Nothing in that is illegal - their coercive force is simply market pressure, and they can't be faulted for turning a profit. But it is still distasteful to my senses. Hence why it is my store of last resort.

It's pointless to think they're Satan incarnate, but they aren't exactly warm and fuzzy either.

JooJooFlop
    Hungry Hungry Hippo
    posted 12-08-2003 12:36:58 PM
    quote:
    Mr. Parcelan had this to say about the Spice Girls:
    YOU XENOPHOBIC ASSHOLE! HOW DARE YOU REALIZE THAT CERTAIN PEOPLE ARE IMBECILES! I'LL KILL YOU!

quote:
    YOU CAN'T TALK THAT WAY TO AN IDIOT! THAT'S XENOPHOBIC! I HATE YOU!

You know what the nice thing is about believing the world is going to end tomorrow?

Sooner or later you'll be right.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
    Mr. Parcelan
    posted 12-08-2003 12:38:38 PM
    quote:
    El Imán Grande! had this to say about Tron:
    You know what the nice thing is about believing the world is going to end tomorrow?

Sooner or later you'll be right.

Hobbes said something like that, except it was probably better.

Gikk
    SCA babe!!!
    posted 12-08-2003 12:39:04 PM
    I'm not saying they aren't the corperate bully; they are.

However, Somthor's OMG IF YOU BUY FROM WAL-MART THE PRODUCTS WILL FALL APART AND YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS. was what I WAS replying too.

In an inter-company newsletter, they tell you what the poor product companies have to do. They don't negotiate at ALL. But.. ya know, the product has to be at walmart! So even if they go from a 20 cent profit margin to a 1 cent profit margin, the sheer numbers sold makes it worth it.

Either way, the Canon ZX42a digital camera you get at Wal-mart will be the same one at Kmart, Radio Shack, and Target - it'll just be the cheapest. So unless you buy generic (and all store's generic brands are worse then thier real brands), then it doesn't matter where you buy it.

Somthor's point was anything you buy at walmart, because it's inexpensive, breaks in a year.

Drakkenmaw
    posted 12-08-2003 12:43:43 PM
    *Shrug.* True. It was just that "why buy anywhere else" statement that got to me. I figured that begged an answer in some form or another.
    Gikk
    SCA babe!!!
    posted 12-08-2003 12:48:03 PM
    Well, I was tlkaing from a sheer quality/price standpoint.

When you bring morality into it, it's a whole nother ball of wax.

Drakkenmaw
    posted 12-08-2003 12:58:37 PM
    quote:
    Gikk was naked while typing this:
    Well, I was tlkaing from a sheer quality/price standpoint.

When you bring morality into it, it's a whole nother ball of wax.

Heh. I think morality brings an entirely different standing to most everything there is. Which is why it's good to sometimes be able to go "Yeah, that'd be best... but still, screw it."

Like, oh, today.

Faelynn LeAndris
    Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
    posted 12-08-2003 01:09:49 PM
    Whoa... WTF? Pennywise Money stupid? Fuck off, I just Like Wal-Mart for convience, I love the store, as well as being cheap. Also using money to your best advantage as in saving pennies and cents over paying EXTRA money for a 'label' is not money stupid, it's money SMART if you ask me.

And as far as not giving back? Bullshit, the Wal-Marts around here almost ALWAYS sponsor local charities, give aid to needy families, help the unfortunate, and support NUMEROUS cuases. In fact, since we are like poor as shit, and part of the Welfare system due to circumstances, our daughters qualified for the 'Clothe a Child' foundation WHICH WALMART SPONSORS. Which gives each of my girls $50 a piece to go shopping with for new clothes, and in fact they go tomorow for it.

You are SO completely clueless...

My LAUNCHCast Station
    "Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
    I got lost for an hour and became god.
    Khyron
    posted 12-08-2003 01:11:06 PM
    quote:
    We were all impressed when Faelynn LeAndris wrote:
    Whoa... WTF? Pennywise Money stupid? Fuck off, I just Like Wal-Mart for convience, I love the store, as well as being cheap. Also using money to your best advantage as in saving pennies and cents over paying EXTRA money for a 'label' is not money stupid, it's money SMART if you ask me.

And as far as not giving back? Bullshit, the Wal-Marts around here almost ALWAYS sponsor local charities, give aid to needy families, help the unfortunate, and support NUMEROUS cuases. In fact, since we are like poor as shit, and part of the Welfare system due to circumstances, our daughters qualified for the 'Clothe a Child' foundation WHICH WALMART SPONSORS. Which gives each of my girls $50 a piece to go shopping with for new clothes, and in fact they go tomorow for it.

You are SO completely clueless...

Fae is hot chix!

posted 12-08-2003 01:32:55 PM
    Satan mart jsut sounds better than Not exactly warm and fuzzy- mart

that CMN ? thats money raised by wal mart from its employes who had better pay up or else. walmart donates none of its own money. in fact it uses fundraisers as a way of increasing its sales.

Wal mart is simply parsitic

No I cant prove the above statement, I have spent many hours looking and while i see countless statements and references to support my position non of them are what you would call reliable. Simply put I cant find a smoking gun.

here are some links though that talk about my views

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

and this one
    http://www.innercitypress.org/wal-mart.html this has the best cites for its sources than any other I have found.

Mr. Parcelan
    posted 12-08-2003 01:34:47 PM
    Are you aware that when you openly admit to having nothing but mere opinion and "views" and your opposition has facts and evidence to back up their claims, you lose the argument?
    Gydyon
    Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
    posted 12-08-2003 01:35:51 PM
    but they said it on t eh intarweb!
    Gydyon
    Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
    (and billing you for it) since 2001

Drakkenmaw
    posted 12-08-2003 01:37:06 PM
    quote:
    Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
    Are you aware that when you openly admit to having nothing but mere opinion and "views" and your opposition has facts and evidence to back up their claims, you lose the argument?

On the Internet, it's not a matter of making sense. It's a matter of yelling loudest, longest.

"If you can't go for reason, go for volume." - Calvin

Mr. Parcelan
    posted 12-08-2003 01:38:46 PM
    quote:
    Drakkenmaw had this to say about Knight Rider:
    On the Internet, it's not a matter of making sense. It's a matter of yelling loudest, longest.

"If you can't go for reason, go for volume." - Calvin

True, but since he essentially admitted defeat, there is no further need to treat him as though he has a valid argument.

I derail this thread and claim it for the discussion of Winter Drinks.

Scotch on rocks is good for lovers sharing a warm evening on a snowy night.

JooJooFlop
    Hungry Hungry Hippo
    posted 12-08-2003 01:43:01 PM
    Hot cocoa.

Boozer.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
    Khyron
    posted 12-08-2003 01:51:10 PM
    I agree with the magnet in the ugly mask.

Hot Cocoa > b00ze. Especially with marshmallows.

posted 12-08-2003 01:51:17 PM
    quote:
    Mr. Parcelan stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:

I havent seen my opposition provide anything more than thier opinions and views. The difference is Im trying to say Wal mart is Bad for Smalltown America and for developing countries. Im trying to say they hurt other companies. All the rest of you have to do is say "no you are wrong and prove your statement" I cant do that.

So yes I agree I lost this arguement but please read the two articles I have linked. It will take a while but you will see where I am trying to come from on this. It still wont convince you but hopefully you will understand why I might feel the way I do.

thanks

JooJooFlop
    Hungry Hungry Hippo
    posted 12-08-2003 01:54:38 PM
    quote:
    And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Somthor was all like:
    The difference is Im trying to say Wal mart is Bad for Smalltown America and for developing countries. Im trying to say they hurt other companies.

I think we've established that we don't care.

posted 12-08-2003 01:57:03 PM
    wish I was part of that collective "we" then your statement would be false.
    All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: