EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Posting habits that you loathe.
Ryutsuke
Pancake
posted 12-07-2003 04:43:53 AM
There's only one thing I have hated about other forums. That being that when someone new comes to the forums and they make a thread that was also made like six months back, they get yelled at, "hey n00b search the forums before posting".

And if they resurect a dead thread cause they have something to add or they want to ask a question along the same lines they also get yelled, "stupid n00b don't resurect old threads!!11"

Thankfully I have not seen this happen at these forums.

Mod
Pancake
posted 12-07-2003 04:46:48 AM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
The whole "Foreigner angst against the USA" thing. I respect the opinions of nations on the USA. I really do. And I will admit that the American posters do say some rude things about other nations, and we give in to popular stereotypes (particularly about the Canadians). On the other hand, while our comments (usually) have cracks about foods and customs and matters of historical fact, it seems to me (and I may be biased) that some people just like to stick it to the American point of view by attacking our nation's leaders, policies, etc. Great way to educate us to give up our arrogant, swaggering, assholish ways. Oh? Not here to try and make things better? Then don't troll an American board. This isn't ALL foreign guests, but some.

Personally I'd be just as glad to attack some Austrian policies, not that we have a lack of retarded ones by any stretch of the imagination, but fact of the matter is those really wouldn't be of much interest to anyone here because as you said, most people here are American, thus we mostly discuss US politics. I honestly don't think people would care much for me posting two threads a week on the Austrian neutrality debate or tax reform.

Remember also that most points people make in regards to the US generally apply to all first world nations and can be seen as a general debate on the subject, if someone expresses their disdain for a statue of the 10 commandments in a courthouse in Alabama you can assume that they wouldn't approve of one in a Bavarian courthouse for mostly the same reasons either.

Edit: As for what annoys me: People who will only ever enter an argument if there's already one or two vocal people arguing for their side whose cloak they can cling to.

[ 12-07-2003: Message edited by: Shazorx / Modrakien ]

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 12-07-2003 04:56:34 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Shazorx / Modrakien was all like:
Personally I'd be just as glad to attack some Austrian policies, not that we have a lack of retarded ones by any stretch of the imagination

Yeah, that whole Heyder and FPÖ thing was horrible. What the hell did you think?! Oh wait, you probably didn't.

Oh, and Deth, the reason why we bloody foreigners express our opinion about your current administration is because their decisions affect us too. So yeah, while we cannot vote to correct your current problems, we at least can make our voices heard when Bush and co are about to do something stupid. Again.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-07-2003 05:00:53 AM
quote:
Ace in the Spade startled the peaceful upland Gorillas by blurting:
This whole logic bullshit. I mean really whats so big about the whole thing. Wow you can prove things woopity doo. Now what would be a trick is convincing someone that your irrationality is more right than theirs. And most likely you'd try to do it through rational means. How absurd just like debating endlessly over the existence of a God/s. Which I find to be annoying. Personally, believe what you want but don't tell me about it or "let me know." If I ever care, I'll ask.

People who make ignorance/stupidity a point of pride.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Skaw
posted 12-07-2003 05:05:22 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Captain Planet:
People who make ignorance/stupidity a point of pride.

I love you too

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-07-2003 05:19:01 AM
quote:
Tarquinn had this to say about dark elf butts:
Oh, and Deth, the reason why we bloody foreigners express our opinion about your current administration is because their decisions affect us too. So yeah, while we cannot vote to correct your current problems, we at least can make our voices heard when Bush and co are about to do something stupid. Again.

Mwa ha ha ha! We control your fate!

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-07-2003 05:20:49 AM
quote:
Skaw startled the peaceful upland Gorillas by blurting:
I love you too

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 12-07-2003 12:06:45 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Ryutsuke:
There's only one thing I have hated about other forums. That being that when someone new comes to the forums and they make a thread that was also made like six months back, they get yelled at, "hey n00b search the forums before posting".

And if they resurect a dead thread cause they have something to add or they want to ask a question along the same lines they also get yelled, "stupid n00b don't resurect old threads!!11"

Thankfully I have not seen this happen at these forums.

Oh it happens here too. Thing is we don't distinguish between noobs and old schoolers. If *I* rezzed an old thread, i'd get my ass chewed out.

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 12-07-2003 06:33:42 PM
I have issues with criticism. I hate it when people cannot take it, and I hate it when people cannot give it. I hate it when people think criticism = super hate bashing, and either freak out against ANY criticism, or use it to launch not-so-veiled insults at people.

I hate it when people cannot take criticism. Like when someone posts a poem/story/song/picture/some other piece of creativity, and asks for comments. Say I gave some comments, in the vein of "it's all right, but..." along with a list of what could improve. This is not insulting you or your piece; this is HELPING. I am donating my time and energy to MAKE YOUR CRAP BETTER by POINTING OUT THE FLAWS, and it seems people are all too ready to freak out on you, think you're an automatic asshole, et cetera et cetera if you don't automatically think whatever they make is super neato keen.

People who criticise said poem/story/song/picture/piece of creativity with a simple "It rocks!! 10/10!!" or "It sucks, die in fire.", and don't actually SAY what's GOOD OR BAD ABOUT IT make me want to carve things in their skulls.

People who don't seem to get the idea of an appropriate audience. Say you belong to a Buddhist message board, or something. Everyone there is Buddhist, or studied Buddhism, or something like that, and while there is a decent amount of normal posts, a lot of it is about Buddhism. There will inevitably be someone who lobs a random "CHRISTIANS ARE RIGHT BELIEVE IN GOD OR YOU'LL ALL GO TO HELL" post on that board, and will somehow be shocked that their opinion isn't automatically taken for truth. RRRRGH.

When people freak out on you just because you're good at something. Like, say you're good at, hmmm... poetry. You write some of the best poems on the board, and everyone acknowledges you for it. I hate the people who go "YOU SUCK" just because everyone else doesn't. Grr. Grr grr.

People who think age, not maturity, matters on the internet.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: