EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: GCN, X-Box or PS2?
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 10-21-2002 03:49:32 AM
quote:
This one time, at Error camp:
Just a side note, the dvd player on the PS2 only works with *some* dvd's. I've had a lot of expieriences with 2 PS2's not playing DVD's.

Do you have the official DVD remote? It comes with a software update disc that might solve your problem.

Might not.

I've heard of some DVDs not working with the PS2 as well, even with the update.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Mattimeo
Was once a member
posted 10-21-2002 07:23:18 AM
I dunno about you people, but theres a few reasons I didn't buy a PS2 (and still don't own one). When the first game out there was a flat 50% chance it would die within a month, it happened to 2 of my friends on campus, one's wouldn't read disks anymore and one flat out refused to turn on. The other reason being that, my friends replaced (after 2 months) PS2 refused to read 3 DVDs and then wouldn't play StarOcean 2 (a PS1 game). I have trouble living with promises that aren't met, it doesn't play all DVDs, and it doesn't play all ps1 games.
Well that and they like to ride the gravy train with the same popular franchises instead of make new games.
Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 10-21-2002 08:03:11 AM
quote:
Densetsu was listening to Cher while typing:
I've heard of some DVDs not working with the PS2 as well, even with the update.

I've only had one DVD not work well with my PS2, and that was the Tron 20th anniversary DVD.

I find the PS2 to be a better DVD player, overall, than my little $80 DVD/VCR and $350 DVD/stereo.

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 10-21-2002 11:08:31 AM
quote:
From the book of Mattimeo, chapter 3, verse 16:
I dunno about you people, but theres a few reasons I didn't buy a PS2 (and still don't own one). When the first game out there was a flat 50% chance it would die within a month, it happened to 2 of my friends on campus, one's wouldn't read disks anymore and one flat out refused to turn on. The other reason being that, my friends replaced (after 2 months) PS2 refused to read 3 DVDs and then wouldn't play StarOcean 2 (a PS1 game). I have trouble living with promises that aren't met, it doesn't play all DVDs, and it doesn't play all ps1 games.
Well that and they like to ride the gravy train with the same popular franchises instead of make new games.

This was my expeirence as well. Took SSC replacing my system entirely to get any functionality out of it.

Owned it for 4 months, was only able to play it for 1 (It spent 3 months in transit to SSC or in repairs at SSC: Disk Read Error my ass... ). Also concidering I have a vast library of DVD's (Past the 300 mark), I can safely say there are actually several the PS2 will NOT play. It also has a severe issue with playing 5.1 tracks. Even on the DVD's it WILL play, it will not output 5.1 correctly if at all. (If they are Sony DVDs however, they seem to work fine, go figure. )Planet of the Apes seems to work okay as well, but there are quite a few that don't. However, it's a game system, so that shouldn't be a deciding factor.

The PS2's library is larger, but thats about to change and the NGC is more group oriented. I find no reason to reccomend the X-Box. I flat out didn't like it, and feel ripped for buying one. (It's junk now anyways)So I have no reccomendation for that sustem.

So I vote PS2 or NGC, leaning more to NGC, because aside from being backwards compatible, what makes PS2 better is about to swing in NGC's favor anyway. There will be a huge influx of NGC support in the next couple months, and even Square/RPG support as well.

Games:
Metroid Prime
Eternal Darkness
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
SSB:M
Legends Of Wrestling
Lost Kingdom
Agressive Inline
SSXTricky
Beach Spikers (But only if you have a few friends to play with regularly, cause otherwise it's kinda boring)
Animal Crossing (Iffy depending on taste)
Cell Damage
Outlaw Golf
BloodRayne
Starfox Adventures
TimeSplitters 2

[ 10-21-2002: Message edited by: Faelynn LeAndris ]

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
K_Kid™
Pancake
posted 10-21-2002 11:17:18 AM
All three are good. However, I am a sucker for nostalgia, and Proprietary Nintendo games, so i'll have to go with them for now...Soon as Tony Hawk clones start disappearing is the day I respect the industry a little bit more...

Only reason I have played a PS2 was for FFX...Most of the other games for the system don't excite me as much as some of the games soon due for the Game Cube...(Seriously lacks RPG's and GOOD fighting games, this I know...)

GAME QUEST...It will consume you...Video Game Chat at it's very finest ;)
Tyewa Dawnsister
In Poverty
posted 10-21-2002 11:40:09 AM
Greetings,

Right now it's kinda up in the air, no system really has a dominating lineup for the next year.

PS2 is a good start. If you don't already own a console system, get a PS2. If you include PS1 titles it has over 2000 titles avaliable, the other systems will be lucky to have 200 by the end of the year. Also GTA:Vice City is going to be huge, but I doubt it's going to be vastly superior to GTA3. Other than that, Sony's lineup is kinda weak, but they are the best bet to pick up a sleeper hit just by the number of games that are comming out.

After the PS2 it is kinda a no man's land. Both GC and XB have strong points, and it's going to be what games you want to play. From where I stand, GC has an advantage through 02/03 but after that their line-up is weak, very weak, almost non-existant. Right now I think the XB is probably a better buy overall, they have a fairly solid lineup on the table, and have probably the best online offering out there. To top that off, right now they're offering a deal on the standard XB. It's a bundle of XB, S-Controller, and two games (JSRF and Sega GT) for the base price of 200$ which is steal.

As much as I dislike Microsoft I'd have to recommend the XB if you are buying a second system.

Nintendo is in pretty bad shape, they lost Rare, and are on the verge of losing Capcom. It almost looks like all their development is going to be first party now. While their in house games are almost always outstanding, there is no way the GC will survive on 4 good games a year.

[ 10-21-2002: Message edited by: Tyewa Dawnsister ]

"And God said: 'Let there be Satan, so people don't blame everything on me. And let there be lawyers, so people don't blame everything on Satan." - George Burns
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 10-21-2002 11:58:44 AM
quote:
Tyewa Dawnsister had this to say about Captain Planet:

Nintendo is in pretty bad shape, they lost Rare, and are on the verge of losing Capcom. It almost looks like all their development is going to be first party now. While their in house games are almost always outstanding, there is no way the GC will survive on 4 good games a year.

Uhh. No. Capcom is in on the Tri-Force hardware. Capcom is just not a major developer. In fact the whole Capcom vs Line is switching to the NGC. Capcom vs SNK2 EO just came out in fact.

X-Box is the one who is losing support, and only garnered Rare after a $375 Million investment. Squre pulled possibilities from X-Box, and outside of inhouse, and those companies cross platforming too all three has little to no support coming up.

Next year MS touts advanced to the X-Box core, which is where this stipulated support/growth comes from, but of course that spells badnews for already existing X-Box owners as it requires firmware purchases to advance the existing system. Now while it is cheaper than a new system all together in most cases, it's still a royal pain.

Sorry X-Box is falling behind the crowd due to damaging prospects. PS2 however is still going strong, and it's already installed base makes for a strong comparison. NGC is just getting stronger. Dominating over the PS2 is not likely, but it's still a possibility. Specially with the soon to be released Tri-Force harware on the way to link exported markets.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: