EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Tribes 2 Tag = Warcraft 3 Tag!
Mattimeo
Was once a member
posted 07-18-2002 11:26:22 AM
And that type of game gets really old, really fast. Like I said, it's tedious and repeatative to do the same thing over and over again. It's either rush or counter rush.
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 07-18-2002 11:29:24 AM
So is "point and shoot".
hey
Ruvie's Alt
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
posted 07-18-2002 11:39:27 AM
quote:
Mattimeo got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
And that type of game gets really old, really fast. Like I said, it's tedious and repeatative to do the same thing over and over again. It's either rush or counter rush.

I didn't rush or counter-rush. They rushed, I had an assload of towers waiting for them. Unfortunately, that wasn't the best of ideas, as he rushed with ALL CATAPULTS, which do seige damage, which does extra damage to buildings. The only attack unit he had at my base was a single Archer, and it didn't even attack, just observed what I was doing. "Recon", if you want to call it that. Now, THAT'S strategy.

After the catapult rush, I just sent my unitary defensive force in his base. He had no towers, 4 archers and a Huntress. He had no cash to res his hero. After that, it was just waiting for my units to finish off their base.

Rushing in WC3 is honestly a gamble. It screws up your economy, so if your rush fails, you may as well spare yourself the torment and leave the game now. Done well, a strategic rush will wipe the floor with the enemy. Poorly done, and the enemy will wipe the floor with YOU.

If you want good base defense and quick building, at the cost of more resources of course, go Human all the way. They're the only race that gets Cooperative building, which is where you can send in more Peasants to get the job done faster. No other race can do that.

Warcraft 3 is like StarCraft, you need to exploit your race's strengths (Night Elves: Ambush. Undead: Ghoul Swarm. Humans: Build towers FAST FAST FAST and turtle. Orcs: Grunts, Tauren, and Shamen all the way.) while trying to cover up their weaknesses.

WarCraft 3 is also very much different from StarCraft, in that in SC, you could mass-produce units and charge. In WC3, there's a food cap of only 90, and you need to worry about Upkeep, to boot.

WC3 is all about a small force and strategic attacks. A failed rush spells doom for the rusher, trust me on this one.

WarCraft 3 isn't about who can build faster, it's about thought. Which way are you gonna go? Melee, ranged, seige, air economy strikes? Which race would be best for that? How do you need to alter that strategy to fit the race better? Et cetera.

Don't like strategy games because there's too much thinking and not enough killing? More power to you. You don't have to like WC3. However, if you dislike it, don't go making up false reasons why you think it sucks, and don't expect us to just take your words at face value without any sort of proof whatsoever.

Talonus
Loner
posted 07-18-2002 11:45:37 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Mattimeo said this:

Every offensive/defensive game in ANY genre can be simplified to rushing and counter rushing. It doesn't matter how advanced a game is, one side will "rush" the other side for some purpose, and the other side will "rush" them for another purpose.

Motiak
Pancake
posted 07-18-2002 11:49:04 AM
Just to break the argument for a second and because I'm about to go crazy, can anyone tell me how you watch replays in Warcraft III? I know it's a stupid question but I would really like to know.
go to Cicinimo's webpage www.artpad.org
"Bear with me while I speak, and after I have spoken, mock on." -Job 21:3
Ruvie's Alt
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
posted 07-18-2002 11:53:45 AM
quote:
This one time, at Motiak camp:
Just to break the argument for a second and because I'm about to go crazy, can anyone tell me how you watch replays in Warcraft III? I know it's a stupid question but I would really like to know.

I think it's in your web browser, but that might be just screenshots.

It also might be somewhere in the initial menu or Single Player menu.

Talonus
Loner
posted 07-18-2002 11:54:27 AM
Motiak, RTFM. Its in there.

Anyways, click on single player than view replay.

Motiak
Pancake
posted 07-18-2002 11:57:03 AM
quote:
Talonus thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Motiak, RTFM. Its in there.

Anyways, click on single player than view replay.

I know I know, but my brother likes to carry it around and read it and I have no idea where he put it. Thanks anyway, I was going crazy.

go to Cicinimo's webpage www.artpad.org
"Bear with me while I speak, and after I have spoken, mock on." -Job 21:3
Willias
Pancake
posted 07-18-2002 12:29:41 PM
And now for my stupid comment on the thread:
Warcraft 3 is better than Tribes 2 because Warcraft has Space Orcs.
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 07-18-2002 12:40:53 PM
Dammit Skaw, why didn't you tell me Matti was this freakin' hilarious?

I gotta make more Tribes 2 posts now

Anyways...

Most of my 1vs1 games last around 30min

I've had like 2 games total that lasted only 5 minues

I find the whole idea that Warcraft 3 is a twitch game downright hilarious personally, not even going to touch THAT joke.

Reminds me of this kid at school a couple years back was trying to seriously argue with my friend while putting 'Cause the Rock says' in front of every sentence
And then got angry when my friend was laughing too hard to say anything back

Matti, you obviously got your ass kicked horrendously when you tried to play multi, or you just suck total ass at multi, or you just want a flamewar

Although starting a flamewar directed at you seems a bit counter productive

Heck, I like when people rush me, because all that happens is, I kill him, take minor casualties, and now have an advantage over him because he tried it

But hey, that's just me.

And for a game that is so 'broken', you haven't actually made any points about anything in specific that is broken

Peons? Creeps? Critters having 15hp?

Now, I'm sure you will just blow it off as "It's my opinion so I am right because I think it is!". (How does Kagrama DO that?)

But it's nice to hope to turn a flame into an actual discussion, heh

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 07-18-2002 12:44:01 PM
Mattimeo has been anally raped enough now.

quote:
Vorago was like, OMFG(?&#¤¤& bish:
Heck, I like when people rush me, because all that happens is, I kill him, take minor casualties, and now have an advantage over him because he tried it

Once again, that is because you're a fucking minor god of Blizzard RTS games.

hey
Oh shi...
what
posted 07-18-2002 12:49:24 PM
I like how Mat said that games like 'those' get board really fast. So let's not pay any attention to the constant 200 000+ people who are always on Bnet
Vorago
posted 07-18-2002 12:51:11 PM
But really, when you rush, well, attack in general, you are at a disadvantage

A) Your opponent gets reinforcments right away, so even evenly matched armies will unbalance in a rush, since your opponent will be getting reinforcments

B) Especially against orcs and humans, his peons turn into combat units. Both are actually quite effective

C) Your opponent will most likely have a tower or two, or in Undead's case, 5 . Which will further give you a disadvantage

Now, this wont work as well if the orc defender is stupid enough to lump his burrows in a corner or something, and not place them at strategic points, or if any player didn't build their base at least somewhat defense-like. Towers sitting out in the open or such.
(I mean, using other buildings as a wall for towers is all around a good idea)

And a bit off topic, having Carrot Top on the 'not funny' tag was comedy gold

Oh shi...
what
posted 07-18-2002 12:54:43 PM
=

Get on IRC Vorago!

Vorago
posted 07-18-2002 12:57:44 PM
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: