EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Hand sanitizer and TP
diadem
eet bugz
posted 03-11-2020 05:55:19 PM
Does anyone have access to hand sanitizer with 60% or more alcohol in it? I ordered some before people started panicking, but it turns out the store I ordered form never had any in the first place despite their assurance that it was in hand. The store gave bs excuses for shipment delays for a while, finally admitted they never had it, and now it's sold out everywhere locally and online.

I'll pay you a bit extra if you can buy some at a local store and ship some over to me.

I need it because I've got an at-risk person staying with me for a while.

edit: Addendum. Well, that was fast. The situation was resolved via another vendor.

diadem fucked around with this message on 03-11-2020 at 06:55 PM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
nem-x
posted 03-11-2020 11:26:17 PM
things be gettin wild
nba season cancelled
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-12-2020 04:29:49 AM
I don't understand the morons who are buying up sanitizer and TP.

Hand sanitizer won't help those people who don't wash their hands in the first place.

The virus doesn't make you poop. Why the desperate need for TP???

JUST WASH YOUR DAMN HANDS PEOPLE.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 03-12-2020 11:54:00 AM
quote:
Mortious spewed forth this undeniable truth:
I don't understand the morons who are buying up sanitizer and TP.

Hand sanitizer won't help those people who don't wash their hands in the first place.

The virus doesn't make you poop. Why the desperate need for TP???

JUST WASH YOUR DAMN HANDS PEOPLE.

More than handwashing is needed, I'm afraid.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-live-plastic-stainless-steel-for-up-to-3-days
tldr;
- The virus can last on plastic/cardboard/metal for days
- The virus can stay in the air for 3 hours

I can't speak to the TP hoarding specifically when there's a general supply chain issue based on an over-dependence on Just In Time delivery, but I get the need to get hand sanitizer when out and about (before everyone started staying at home and the city became a ghost town overnight).

diadem fucked around with this message on 03-12-2020 at 11:54 AM.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 03-12-2020 11:54:46 AM
In Germany people are really craving noodles and toilet paper.

I don't get it either.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 03-12-2020 11:56:12 AM
quote:
diadem thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

- The virus can last on plastic/cardboard/metal for days
- The virus can stay in the air for 3 hours.

And hand sanitizer helps with that how exactly?

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 03-12-2020 11:56:58 AM
quote:
Tarquinn's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
In Germany people are really craving noodles and toilet paper.

I don't get it either.

I know people in an impacted area who were home-bound for months under strict quarantines. The individuals had problems getting foodstuffs.

Things like pasta, dried beans, optimum nutrition powder, and rice are high calories per dollar and last a year each or more. They rely on water, which can be boiled. Therefore, preppers who want to be ready for that coming to their area focus on whatever staple diets they have that last long and grab those.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 03-12-2020 12:00:12 PM
quote:
Tarquinn had this to say about Duck Tales:
And hand sanitizer helps with that how exactly?

Keep track of how often you put your hand to your face. You do it a lot more than you think. Hand sanitizer isn't nearly as good as washing your hands... but if you go into an area that's infected and open a door to a metro station, your hands will be infected. Even if you wash at that point, you'll likely put your hand somewhere that you'll touch again first, which will reinfect. Or worse, move your hand in way that will infect you directly like scratching your lips. By immediately cleaning your hands you mitigate the chances of doing something stupid and infecting yourself.

Some people also use sprays/wipes to disinfect their shoes before entering places (and take them off indoors) to be safe as well.

Note that the hand sanitizers are generally 70% alcohol, which is important.

edit: the air part is also bad, as if correct, it shows that believing washing can make things ok will give a false sense of security

diadem fucked around with this message on 03-12-2020 at 12:05 PM.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 03-12-2020 03:19:16 PM
On toilet paper hoarding
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-12-2020 09:05:51 PM
My dad is almost 70 and has COPD, so I'm being very careful in letting him know who he should be avoiding and what places he should try to keep away from (no large social gatherings). Corona plus old age and COPD could easily be fatal. I'm worried he isn't taking it seriously, but he's never been what I would describe as a good patient. So I'm being one for him.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 03-14-2020 07:56:27 AM
quote:
Mortious spewed forth this undeniable truth:
My dad is almost 70 and has COPD, so I'm being very careful in letting him know who he should be avoiding and what places he should try to keep away from (no large social gatherings). Corona plus old age and COPD could easily be fatal. I'm worried he isn't taking it seriously, but he's never been what I would describe as a good patient. So I'm being one for him.

You are a good son and did the right thing.

By the way, were you able to find any UV-C sanitizing wands? That's the one bit of critical stuff I can't find.

Also, if your dad wants to go out, have him wear this with these.

Actually, seeing what happened in WW1, that advice goes for Sage and his men, too... assuming he hasn't gone full pogue/desk jockey.

edit: I broke down and bought a UV-C wand off e-bay

diadem fucked around with this message on 03-14-2020 at 09:48 AM.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 03-14-2020 06:22:28 PM
https://i.imgur.com/7AKmEpG.jpg
(img code doesn't appear to be working, even when I use the button)

Blame Supernatural.

Though I saw an article recently about toilet paper being tainted with coronavirus (didn't fact check it at the time), so I guess that makes sense.

If TP becomes an issue, I'll just have to learn how to use a bidet.

Bajah fucked around with this message on 03-14-2020 at 06:24 PM.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 03-15-2020 03:34:52 AM
You could try making your own.

3 parts EtOH or Isopropyl alcohol to 1 part aloe vera gel, or alternatively the WHO recipe: https://t.co/dxZUdACOd7

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-15-2020 06:54:24 AM
quote:
Bajah said:
https://i.imgur.com/7AKmEpG.jpg
(img code doesn't appear to be working, even when I use the button)

Remove the s. Secure http (https) never links correctly.

Here:

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 03-15-2020 10:20:35 AM
quote:
Out of a possible 10, Mortious scored a straight 1 with:
[QB]Remove the s. Secure http (https) never links correctly.

Ahh, old code. Can't handle secure data. Drys needs to get on that amirite
Kermitov3
Pancake
posted 03-17-2020 02:58:52 AM
Meanwhile, in the airline industry....

I've been going through hand sanitizer like crazy, I've stopped greeting people as they get off. They clean the cabin more often but there's no way it's enough. The flight decks are, as they always have been, a disgusting cesspit. We get wipes, but no one can agree if they're even effective.

Airlines are in crisis mode and mass layoffs are likely. There are rumblings of a domestic flight freeze... it doesn't seem to make sense to tell people to stay home and then have us flying all over the place, in the last 4 days I've been in 8 different cities in the US and Canada, But stopping domestic flying means financial disaster. It's already been far worse than 9/11, I havent heard any good news in over a week.

I miss last month's problems.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 03-21-2020 10:03:10 AM
Grr... people are buying out baby stuff. Which is pretty shittastic for those of us with babies.

Water wipes are especially hard to come by.

edit: Complained about this on facebook and was immediately flooded by responses from friends and strangers offering to help. Getting everything the kid needs.

diadem fucked around with this message on 03-21-2020 at 07:10 PM.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 03-22-2020 10:21:49 AM
The lack of gloves, hand sanitizer, masks, etc, is crippling the supply chain of local hospitals in Massachusetts. Especially Mt Auburn, Tufts, and MGH, where the metaphorical "front lines" are happening. We need this stuff so the doctors - the people who focus on saving lives - don't get sick and die themselves.

If y'all have any to spare, please send them to one of those three hospitals. I may update this post later with their official supply chain contacts.

I know Cambridge Health Alliance is

quote:
CHA Somerville, 33 Tower Street, Somerville, MA 02143 attn: Receiving Dept - Donations

quote:
no donation is too small at this stage.

Please use common sense and only send over unused/sealed stuff

Edit: Here's a better list
Edit 2: The federal government is out0bidding life-saving equipment we need so our state can't afford to buy them for our hospitals. Our mayor complained about this and he was laughed at.
Edit 3: Since we do not have access to the equipment locally, we were able to plea to civilians from other nations who have access to the equipment. They were willing to ship some of it to Boston area hospitals free. Unfortunately, this equipment is being blocked by US customs and has not actually reached the hospitals that need it. Working on that. Will post what I can once I found how to handle customs if you are overseas and wish to help us out. It's still not enough though, soi f you have any to spare, our hospitals desperately need it. They are using diluted bleach solutions (and experimenting on UV-C) to see if they can re-use disposable protective gear.

diadem fucked around with this message on 03-23-2020 at 08:56 AM.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 03-25-2020 06:18:49 PM
quote:
Those good ol' boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye, singin' this'll be the day that I diadem:

The lack of gloves, hand sanitizer, masks, etc, is crippling the supply chain of local hospitals in Massachusetts. Especially Mt Auburn, Tufts, and MGH, where the metaphorical "front lines" are happening. We need this stuff so the doctors - the people who focus on saving lives - don't get sick and die themselves.

If y'all have any to spare, please send them to one of those three hospitals. I may update this post later with their official supply chain contacts.

The company I work for has a huge presence up there and is organizing stuff to donate, I'll be chipping in through that, though it's more monetary to help them acquire supplies TO donate, but yeah man, it's bad everywhere :/

diadem
eet bugz
posted 03-26-2020 08:08:12 AM
Updated, centralized list for donating to hospitals: https://getusppe.org/

For those of you from outside the US who have ready access to supplies, please donate. Our people are dying.

Some of these requests are for some pretty basic stuff that you may have in your households.

diadem fucked around with this message on 03-26-2020 at 08:10 AM.

Kermitov3
Pancake
posted 03-26-2020 06:08:24 PM
quote:
diadem said this about your mom:
Updated, centralized list for donating to hospitals: https://getusppe.org/

For those of you from outside the US who have ready access to supplies, please donate. Our people are dying.

Some of these requests are for some pretty basic stuff that you may have in your households.

Thank you for the link, I'm going to spread it around as much as I can.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 04-03-2020 02:21:50 AM
Been a long few weeks. Anyone still at work? Or stuck at home like me?

The most surreal moment so far has been filing for unemployment; 19 years running a preschool/childcare center and suddenly I'm being kept afloat by bumped-up unemployment checks. (In Illinois)

How is everyone spending their time in quarantine?

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-03-2020 11:44:25 AM
Both myself and my wife are working from home. Thank fuck we bought a Switch a month ago. Animal Crossing is a great way to pass the time.

Oh, and also, we were about to do a kitchen remodel. Much happier to have that money in our savings account, in case one or both of us gets laid off.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 04-03-2020 05:26:02 PM
Update: After being outbid for the federal government, our state was able to obtain 3 million masks. Unfortunately, these were intercepted by the federal government at the port of new york and seized. The federal government also has not followed through on its promise to supply an adequate amount of needed equipment.

The state then called upon its international connections, sports teams and billionaires to help. The Robert Kraft ended up using the New England Patriots aircraft to fly to China to procure additional masks that have thus far not been intercepted.

Even with this, our hospitals are still critically low and many more people are dying at a rapidly accelerating rate. It seems crowdsourcing is the best option currently.

One of our state's universities (MIT) is also designing $100 ventilators which will be an international game-changer if effective.

edit: One of many sources of the above - https://www.wcvb.com/article/3-million-masks-ordered-by-massachusetts-were-confiscated-in-port-of-new-york/32021700

diadem fucked around with this message on 04-03-2020 at 07:13 PM.

Kermitov3
Pancake
posted 04-05-2020 10:57:54 PM
Still going to work.

My last trip we flew 6 legs, total passengers carried was 48, and 22 of those were non-revs and deadheads. Today I flew to oregon and back, took 2 people up there and brought 4 back. My FO commuted in from Hawaii on a 777 with 9 passengers on it.

Airports are empty, like ghost town empty. Last week I was at LAX around 2pm and they had a single controller working tower and ground for the whole field. I've been there at 2 in the morning and it isnt that dead.

I'm worried for my job but putting that aside, I can tell that the stay at home orders are working and people are definitely, for the most part, doing it. Many of the people we're carrying now are health care workers.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-14-2020 06:43:06 PM
My employer was deemed an essential business, so they are still open. My boss decided that he and I should trade off, so that we always have coverage but reduce our overall exposure. Each day one of us goes in and the other works from home. I'm fine with going into the office as often as needed, and some parts of my job do require physical presence (for various reasons), although the constant hand washing is causing my skin to crack. My wife has been working from home for over a month; her employer was also deemed essential, but most people can do their jobs remotely, so they hold meetings over Zoom and have a skeleton crew go in to handle tasks that require physical presence. Since I'm also the one doing the necessary shopping (and having panic attacks because most people in the stores don't even attempt social distancing), she has only set foot outdoors once since March 13th, and that was just to stand on our front stoop for two minutes, because she forgot what the sky looked like.

As far as supplies go, I was lucky to have been raised by hoarders. (Not a sentence I thought I would ever say, but there you go.) When the shortages started, I already had enough TP on hand to last us at least a few months, and enough of many other hard-to-find items to last us until supplies become available again. The Tylenol shortage was unfortunate, as I had just placed an order from Costco when it started, and the order never shipped. (Without it my headaches turn into full-on flu-symptoms-plus-blinded-minus-fever migraines. Before I learned to head them off, I would leave for work with a mild headache and drive the last half mile looking through a space the size of a pin head held at arm length, before sitting down in an unlit closet with a trash can waiting to puke so I would recover enough to drive home.) I've been taking slightly-expired pills in the interim.

`Doc fucked around with this message on 04-14-2020 at 06:51 PM.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: