EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Has anyone heard of this game on Steam? What do you think?
diadem
eet bugz
posted 10-30-2016 01:43:36 PM
What's this then?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/379870/
https://s3.amazonaws.com/alteil-press/steamFrontPage.png
[Invalid image tag]

diadem fucked around with this message on 10-30-2016 at 01:44 PM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 10-31-2016 04:41:47 PM
I think ... I might have heard of it before. ^^

How's that working out for you so far?

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-04-2016 06:44:25 AM
That's.. that's a lot of thumb down reviews..
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-10-2016 02:15:38 PM
So.. no reply about all those negative reviews of the game?

Just going to keep posting new game ideas?

Any plans to optimise this obviously poorly optimised game before making another?

diadem
eet bugz
posted 11-10-2016 06:52:06 PM
quote:
Mortious probably says this to all the girls:
So.. no reply about all those negative reviews of the game?

Just going to keep posting new game ideas?

Any plans to optimise this obviously poorly optimised game before making another?

I can give you a partial reply. I'm leaving a lot out, mainly....

• I have given standing orders not to speak negatively anyone, even if their actions made us look real bad.
  • Alteil brought a bit of baggage with the IP. The way things work are a bit complex. This goes far beyond development (though most projects I previously worked one with this level of complexity are/were multi-billion dollar projects).

Alright. Now, that aside.

• I'm not a fan of the current iteration steam client either. I agree with the top negative review that essentially says the game is fun but the client is bloated. This is huge and I think the biggest hindrance to the game.
  • Many of the negative reviews are commenting on the actions of the previous rights holders. We have put a tremendous amount of effort in to alleviate the issues once we obtained the rights to the IP. I'm sorry if others treated the users badly, but we are not those people. Lashing at us will not negatively impact the people they are mad at.
  • Yes, the tutorial is rigged. The point of the tutorial is to introduce game mechanics one at a time as to not overwhelm new players. The in real games AI is not cheating, it's just smart.
  • The stability issues. That hit us in the beginning. Some of it wasn't our fault, but some of it was. The bit that was had to do with a junior engineer trying to be helpful. The engineer tried to mimicking some of the patterns I had in the core code fulling without understanding why I followed them and created a threading issues as a result. As far as I'm aware, this has been resolved. We have also stopped relying on external resources that didn't meet promises/expectations.

Now for details about the client...
    All of the heavy lifting is taken care of by the server. This means that replacing the client with something new from scratch is actually not that big a deal.

That said, creating all of Brutal Reclamation is far less effort than making a proposal to create a new client. In fact, if Brutal Reclamation works as expected I can use it as a shiny example as to why the Unreal Engine creates better games than manipulating the DOM via javascript.

edit: A lot of my own time (or the time of the senior engineers) was spent reverse engineering proprietary scripting languages with inconsistent grammars, tracking down obfuscated server logic hidden animation frames, making sure the new game was fully compatible with the old game and could be ran simultaneously side by side, creating a natural language processor to allow game designers with no programming experience to explain new sentences in english which in turn get compiled to functional code, dealing with funding and legal issues, etc.

The API we created in turn can be called to take care of all of that now. So making a new client isn't a huge TECHNICAL issue (though it may take a lot of time due to the complexity/scale of the game)

diadem fucked around with this message on 11-10-2016 at 07:07 PM.

• play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
    diadem
    eet bugz
    posted 11-10-2016 07:08:41 PM
    On the flip side, a lot of the older players are using the web version now that they see how much has been added to the game since we have taken over.

This isn't great for new users, but it's still a good sign.

edit: Also, the old post is too old to correct the grammar errors I just noticed. Sorry.

diadem fucked around with this message on 11-10-2016 at 07:12 PM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
    Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 11-19-2016 03:56:57 PM
    It's good to see you're taking it seriously.

I'm only critical because I'd love to see you succeed and not be another Hello Games that pumps out half baked crap. We have too many of that type of developer these days.

All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: