EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Wait. Wut?
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 01-24-2016 10:04:24 PM
This place is still a thing?

Wow.

Hi.

Azakias fucked around with this message on 01-24-2016 at 10:07 PM.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Drysart
Pancake
posted 01-25-2016 01:49:35 PM
Sup dog!
Mightion Defensor
posted 01-25-2016 07:17:22 PM
What be da haps, yo?
Azakias
posted 01-26-2016 03:50:01 AM
Not too bad, myself. I've become an asshole in my old age though.

If y'all do Facebook, look me up. Tamara Biediger. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one there with that albatross for a name.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-26-2016 12:47:06 PM
Hi.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 01-26-2016 01:12:15 PM
Weird, right?
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 01-26-2016 08:42:34 PM
Heya Az, welcome back sorta!
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-27-2016 07:35:34 AM
The storms come and go, the big fish eat the little fish, and EC keeps on paddling.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Addy
posted 01-28-2016 08:54:43 AM
Hi there!
Azakias
posted 01-29-2016 11:07:31 PM
Hi! There are a lot more people here than I would have guessed.

And Monica, I'm pretty sure that you work roughly within an hour from my house. I'm in Saginaw, these days.

Monica
posted 02-09-2016 04:10:33 PM
Sounds about right. We live in Garland but I work about a mile outside of downtown Dallas and it's the very worst thing.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-10-2016 03:30:54 AM
Oof, a double helping of suck.

Last good thing I can remember being in Garland was Apogee.... And that's been a few years. Still, at least it's not Irving.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Monica
posted 02-10-2016 05:02:00 PM
I actually like Garland just fine. I do have to drive to Irving occasionally though, and that is a nightmare.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-11-2016 05:49:26 AM
Comes from spending most of my adolescent years in Mesquite. For some reason Garland was just a place you didn't go. Never really figured out why, I had friends that lived in Garland, had relatives, etc, etc.

Irving on the other hand.... you went there if you wanted to get shot for your sneakers or Dallas Cowboys jacket. There was no redeeming quality when I was younger.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Monica
posted 02-11-2016 11:03:49 AM
That's funny, because when we were getting ready to move here the general consensus was "STAY AWAY FROM MESQUITE."

I haven't spent a ton of time in Irving outside of my specific work destinations but it seems nice. Borderline swanky, even.

Monica fucked around with this message on 02-11-2016 at 11:04 AM.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-12-2016 06:26:00 AM
Depends on the part of Irving in question. Las Colinas? Expensive and ritzy. Valley Ranch? Cowboys live there. Expensive. Irving proper? Not bad. "South Irving"... now you're getting a little out to the edges.

Plus Irving was kinda different "back in the day". I'm honestly kinda shocked that Irving Mall survived the 90's given the number of shootings and shit that happened.

Mesquite is... well... Mesquite. They don't participate in DART so their sales tax is a little lower and that's drawn people. It does tend tword the redneck end of the population (Mesquite High usually had at least one near-riot each year... the "Spic-Hick Fight").

A chunk of it really comes from where you're getting the data. Plano? (Cool-whip land, as in "Whiter than") Richardson? Frisco? (Where people from Plano went when Plano wasn't Cool-whip enough). Some section of Dallas? (North? Money. South? Poor. East? Minority influence changes every few blocks, as does the caliber of 'poor')

Of course, Garland is where the zombie menace starts, so it still has that going against it as well.

Monica
posted 02-12-2016 02:26:27 PM
I've liked the little bit of Plano I've seen but since I work so close to downtown there's no way we could ever live there. My husband works in, more or less, south Richardson and we venture in sometimes for pho and banh mi.

And yeah, south Dallas can just be depressing. Sometimes I'll see homeless people sleeping on the sidewalks on my way in to work. We've ventured up into Frisco maybe once but that's about it. East Dallas seems to vary depending on whether or not you've wandered into some swanky historic neighborhood.

The food options here are way more intense than I ever could have guessed. In Oklahoma City you might have like 10 Vietnamese places, but then you get to Dallas and it's like "oh we have 426534634 Vietnamese places." In the beginning, I'd try to think of various taquerias as visual landmarks, but it turns out that's not really very helpful.

Monica fucked around with this message on 02-12-2016 at 02:27 PM.

Azakias
posted 02-12-2016 02:48:41 PM
I like the Fort Worth side, myself. Keller, Saginaw, Watauga, Lake Worth, they're all pretty steady. There's aton of growth happening out this way, too. Its hilarious listening to some of my neighbors complain about it. The typical "things are better when there's no chains, no newcomers, no growth, no new roads" crap. People just lost their shit a few weeks ago because a builder was cleared to build an apartment complex. Now they think there will be an influx of hard drugs and gangs. In the next breath, they bitch about the price of house rentals increasing.

Sorry for the tangent. I'm not doing well with the suburban life. Obviously.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-15-2016 07:55:22 AM
Yeah, E Dallas gets strange when on one block you have $1m houses and the next block are crack houses.

Have you taken a trip through Addison and looked at the food options in detail? TONS of shit of all kinds all over the place. Part of the reason there's a ton of Viet places is the large number of refugees that made it to Dallas ages ago. Most kinda congregated in SE Dallas, but they've since spread around a bit and I have yet to see a Pho place die unless it's just completely mismanaged.

Monica
posted 02-15-2016 11:52:10 AM
We've been to Addison once or twice but because of the parking lot that is 635 on any given day we usually don't wander over very often.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-16-2016 01:13:47 PM
Do not blame you for that in the slightest. I avoid 635 if at all possible in general. Technically you could drive from Garland to Addison on Beltline faster, even with the redlights, or go north to GWB and come down the Tollway faster...
Monica
posted 02-16-2016 03:32:42 PM
Yup. And we've done it that way a couple of times. Just not in a big habit of it. My husband really likes to cook so to be honest we don't really go out that much anyway.
Azakias
posted 02-16-2016 09:54:51 PM
Sigh. I wish mine liked to cook.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-17-2016 06:17:09 AM
Tiny apartment kitchens aren't really suited for cooking... Barely any counter space and cabinets too narrow for storing the proper tools. :|

Spend the rest of the year paying down debts and such and start house hunting next year. I need to get a yard for the wooly mammoth anyway...

Monica
posted 02-17-2016 03:15:07 PM
quote:
Azakias Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Sigh. I wish mine liked to cook.

It's pretty much the best.

Addy
posted 03-02-2016 11:56:52 PM
My boyfriend also cooks. Can confirm this is pretty much the best.
Azakias
posted 03-03-2016 11:43:12 AM
Mine cooks a limited menu consisting of hamburger helper, spaghetti, tacos, and pigs in a blanket.

This is when I am away at work, which is typically 4-5 days out if the week.

The family gets variety when I'm home, because I an not afraid of chicken, pork, or other non-beef products.

Addy
posted 03-03-2016 06:03:28 PM
That's pretty much my cooking except substituting with slightly healthier options like forms of salad and pasta (love dem carbs).

My boyfriend will cook six course meals if we have people over because he feels like it. I'm really spoiled.

He recently had surgery though so I get to do the cooking. We are trying out Blue Apron to teach me some cooking skills.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-04-2016 09:59:22 AM
What does Hamburger Helper taste like? I don't think I've ever had it.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Monica
posted 03-04-2016 02:23:53 PM
quote:
Karnaj's fortune cookie read:

We ate so much of it growing up that sometimes I still can't walk by it in the grocery store without gagging a little.

Monica
posted 03-04-2016 02:24:41 PM
quote:
Addy got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
That's pretty much my cooking except substituting with slightly healthier options like forms of salad and pasta (love dem carbs).

My boyfriend will cook six course meals if we have people over because he feels like it. I'm really spoiled.

He recently had surgery though so I get to do the cooking. We are trying out Blue Apron to teach me some cooking skills.

Girl, for real. I've learned a lot just from dating/marrying my guy. He's constantly wanting to play around and experiment with new foods/make up new recipes.

Azakias
posted 03-04-2016 09:42:00 PM
quote:
Karnaj thought about the meaning of life:

Its honestly not bad, as far as dinners out of a box go. We use ground sausage instead of actual hamburger because hamburger is bland and tastes like sawdust no matter what you use it in.

The trick is to keep yourself from falling into the trap of making it for every meal, or even weekly. It DOES get old fast and its so easy to keep making over and over again because it takes less than 30 minutes, most of the time.

At my house, its the equivalent of throwing frozen nuggets in the oven, when you don't have time to cook anything else. A quick way to put food into seven people.

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-05-2016 07:18:21 AM
I'll be honest, I don't remember what any of them tastes like because it's been at least 20 years since I made it without adulterating it. It's a simple start point begging for extras/modification/abuse....
Led
*kaboom*
posted 03-07-2016 02:46:10 AM
What is dead may never die!
Mightion Defensor
posted 03-07-2016 12:14:04 PM
We call Hamburger Helper the "specialty of the house" here. There's lots of flavors; my favorite is Beef Pasta. It beats the sandwiches I eat five days a week since I work 3 to 11:30.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-07-2016 07:31:38 PM
I dunno what's wrong with you guys, I love Hamburger Helper. Cheeseburger Macaroni is awesome.
Mightion Defensor
posted 03-08-2016 12:31:59 AM
quote:
It has been ordained by Primus, that there will be a Chosen One who will use the Matrix to "light our darkest hour." That darkest hour may come sooner if Drysart keeps posting things like this:
I dunno what's wrong with you guys, I love Hamburger Helper. Cheeseburger Macaroni is awesome.

Yes, but the triple cheese variant is nasty.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-09-2016 12:26:46 AM
quote:
Mightion Defensor came out of the closet to say:
Yes, but the triple cheese variant is nasty.

Yeah. For me it's original, or nothing.

Monica
posted 03-09-2016 09:23:18 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Drysart stammered:

What's wrong with me is we ate it 3-5 nights a week for years growing up because we couldn't afford anything else.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: