EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: King of the Nerds
Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 03-01-2013 06:01:35 PM
Have you watched this show? What do you think about it?

I dislike how drama gets much of the screen time, I guess that is reality tv for you though. I'm also not a fan of how they say nerd every five seconds.

I am rooting for Danielle to win though. She is a fellow WoW player, and her father needs the money for cancer treatment.

The finale for the show is coming up this Thursday.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 03-02-2013 01:23:40 AM
I've found her constant drama quite abrasive. I've been rooting for Ivan.
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 03-02-2013 01:31:30 AM
Really disappointed that Alana took so long to be removed. People like her exist, but I don't want to see her whiny drama if I can help it!

Pleasantly surprised at how it's turned out though. The show has touched on a few major staples of Nerd culture, and it'll be interesting how they judge the more hardcore science part.

Piloting a mini-copter through an obstacle course? Pretty fun to watch.

Dance competition with the Kinect? Eh, all right.

Watching nerds complete harder versions of standardized tests? Not so much.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-02-2013 02:51:15 AM
I have no idea what this is. Some Amurrican thing?
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 03-02-2013 02:56:07 AM
Reality TV involving a group of 10(?) 'nerds' from different fields (Fantasy/Roleplaying, Physics/Math, Video/Board Games, etc.) and give them various challenges to see how nerdy they are.

Losers are kicked off the show at a rate of 1 per episode, with social alliances/betrayals inevitable due to the show's structure on having the nerds vote on who competes to stay in the game.

Sums it up, right Vin?

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 03-02-2013 03:31:30 AM
Pretty much, except many of the challenges were quite arbitrary.

Vin~ fucked around with this message on 03-02-2013 at 04:52 AM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-02-2013 08:47:24 AM
Oh dear...
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-02-2013 09:50:51 AM
I looked at the startup for it. Then I was offended that these 'nerds' are going to support the reality TV format bullshit and turned it off.

These shows all wind up being the same thing, bunch of drama and bullshit "character action" betrayals and backstabbing. Top Shot was at least amusing with some of the guns/weapons they got to try out for different things. But I still didn't watch it as it aired, I got it so I could fast forward through all the staged drama BS and get down to the weapons.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-02-2013 10:45:31 AM
It's American reality TV, of course it's 100% staged and scripted.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-02-2013 04:13:18 PM
Is "British Reality TV" any different?

Didn't you guys start the "Got Talent" and "Big Brother" stuff?

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-03-2013 01:59:43 AM
Didn't used to be.

Then we started copying the Americans.

Now most TV is just awful.

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 03-03-2013 03:38:13 AM
quote:
Now most TV is just awful.[/QB]

Hence my contention, stated yet again, that a Jerry Orbach-era episode of Law & Order is still better than 95% of new TV shows. The exceptions being Sons of Anarchy and Boardwalk Empire.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 03-04-2013 01:29:26 AM
quote:
So quoth Mortious:
Didn't used to be.

Then we started copying the Americans.

Now most TV is just awful.

You fuckers couldn't blame Piers Morgan on us.. you you PAWNED HIM OFF on us.

And now.. we're just waiting... biding our time.. trying to perfect the revenge.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: