EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Poll of curiosity
diadem
eet bugz
posted 02-23-2013 12:10:30 PM
It's been a while since I posted one of these.

How many hours a week do you have to study to stay relevant in your field? How much do you actually study? What is your field?

My answer: I watch about 4 hours of videos at 2x speed on top of about 4-8 hours of research and training a week. It doesn't feel like enough. My field is software.

I hate long drives where I'm not learning anything productive.

diadem fucked around with this message on 02-23-2013 at 12:12 PM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-23-2013 12:47:36 PM
I read up on classic cars frequently, but only ones I plan on working on.

I own a classic car restoration garage now, but only to buy in hulks to fix up and sell on. Not for customers to bring their own cars in as we don't have insurance to cover that (nor do we want to).

diadem
eet bugz
posted 02-23-2013 02:04:40 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Mortious stammered:
I read up on classic cars frequently, but only ones I plan on working on.

I own a classic car restoration garage now, but only to buy in hulks to fix up and sell on. Not for customers to bring their own cars in as we don't have insurance to cover that (nor do we want to).

So you are Q's alter ego? I knew you were a bond villain!

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-23-2013 02:31:21 PM
We're currently doing three of these late 1960's cars in various configurations, with one in full road race spec and one nearing completion. All with the steel panels replaced with much lighter and rust-free fibreglass.

If anyone's interested, let me know.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 03-01-2013 09:50:39 AM
Constantly.

Freelance Writer.
Literary Equivalent of "5 Dolla Sucky Sucky".
I have to read and research damned near everything. This leads to me gaining a great deal of knowledge on a subject, shit out a couple thousand words, then promptly forget all that bullshit and move on to the next subject.

I HATE British Car Enthusiast blogs. They hire Pakistanis to write content for them, because the British as fucking lazy. Then, 6 months later, they decide to read their email, and see that they have a few thousand complaints that their website is unreadable. And THEN, they call me or one of the other ghost writing nameless horde to come in and fix that shit. And they want all 40,000 words rewritten in 24 hours.

Because Brits with too much money have no concept of work, time, or proper compensation.

Americans are just as bad, honestly, with the exception of Americans with too much money are happy to overpay. The problem Americans are those douchebags who have an MBA from University of Fucking Phoenix, and they think that it makes them an entrepreneur. Those cuntflaps will give you a seven word vague idea, offer you 5x your current rate, then either waffle on if they like the work for 3 weeks, or they will say "Oh, no, see the pay comes after we make the money"

So, I try to stick with Australian clients. Least douchey, they pay fair rates, and they speak the language.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-08-2013 08:07:48 AM
One of the many advantages of the military is if they want you to learn a skill, they pay to send you to school to learn it. Staying relevant, for me, mostly means keeping abreast of the news and foreign policy.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-08-2013 09:46:28 AM
Hehe, abreast.

Anyway, I keep up by doing new things: altering configurations to run better, trying out new programs or features of programs, etc. I'm very much a learn-by-doing type of fella, and I can quickly make something new useful and practical in my existing environment. Finally, butts.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-08-2013 10:12:39 AM
Hehe, butts.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: