EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Firefall?
Maradon!
posted 02-08-2013 09:22:42 PM
I have a very reliable relationship with F2P games. "Come back," they say to me, "we've changed! We won't nag you for money, we have much higher production standards! Look how many people enjoy us!" and, like a battered wife, I heed their siren song and return again and again only to find that, despite vociferous assurances by the enthralled fanbase; despite high reviewer scores and flashy screen shots; despite impassioned, professional editorials and videos promising a rich experience; absolutely nothing has changed in the slightest.

You're still assaulted for moneycash at every turn. The play experience might be more or less fantastic at first, but in the end it always shoves you into the gravity well of the microtransaction, your play experience turning into a decaying orbit centered around planet buying-some-goddamn-thing, thick nebulae of tedium sapping your altitude at every turn.

So when I read about Firefall and all their fucking promises, I was understandably reticent. It looks like exactly the sort of game I've been really itching to play these past six months or so, but you can't "play" for "free" yet without signing up for a waiting list, so I turn to you folks.

Know anything about it? Played it? What's the deal.

nem-x
posted 02-08-2013 10:16:07 PM
Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 02-08-2013 10:53:37 PM
I never did care much for the game at all. I dislike the art style, and the game seems really bland. TF2, Tribes Ascend, and Planetside 2 got me covered for FPS.

Vin~ fucked around with this message on 02-09-2013 at 01:15 AM.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 02-09-2013 03:39:56 AM
Mechwarrior Online.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Maradon!
posted 02-09-2013 08:11:35 AM
Thing about Planetside is that it has no PVE. Firefall is supposed to have as much of a PVE focus as any MMORPG.

MWO does sound cool and I do have to give it a shot, but it won't scratch the itch that games like firefall will, at least ostensibly.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 02-09-2013 10:42:33 AM
quote:
This one time, at band camp, Tarquinn said:
Mechwarrior Online.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 02-09-2013 09:51:43 PM
I haven't played Firefall since the early alpha stages, but it was fun at the time. You weren't limited to a class, and could change armor frames to fill different roles as needed, which was pretty cool. And there weren't so much as even hints towards micro-transactions back then (which, understandably, was alpha).

Getting crafting mats was kind of the suck, but I really can't tell you if they've had much in the way of improvements or even if they've completely changed the game. It'd be worth looking into. If it's still in beta, I may have invitations on my account (haven't checked).

Maradon!
posted 02-09-2013 11:54:03 PM
Well, against my better judgment I went and purchased access.

I have five invites if anyone is hard up to give it a shot. Just PM me with preferred email (and reply in this thread because PMs are broken).

LordLunchington
Pancake
posted 02-10-2013 10:02:00 AM
I kind of want to try it honestly looks kind of fun Though I already blew our gaming budget on DLC and $5-10 steam games haha
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-10-2013 10:35:12 AM
Profile email works...
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Willias
Pancake
posted 02-11-2013 12:55:17 AM
Path of Exile
LordLunchington
Pancake
posted 02-11-2013 10:31:43 AM
I will be no if the installer stays connected long enough haha
Maradon!
posted 02-11-2013 10:37:59 PM
I got it all with only one interruption.

The game is really fun, it actually does feel kinda like a tribes MMO. It's clearly still in development, though. After the initial tutorial you feel kinda directionless. There's supposed to be a huge update coming soon, hoping to see how it shapes up.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-11-2013 11:06:27 PM
Yeah, the 'tutorial' is a bit thin compared to what normally comes down the pipe. I see this as a good thing at the moment.

And the sniper suit is a little OP for the start if there's a tornado near by... Just stand on a hill and pewpewpew from a distance to KS shit.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: