EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: A waning interest in vidja gaems
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-23-2013 06:21:32 AM
Is this normal as one grows older? FYI I'm 32.

I can barely stand to play the same game for an hour now and Gears of War 3 (a gift from Christmas 2011!) sits dusty on my shelf completely unplayed. I should probably put my ecksbaux on eBay as I don't think it's been powered on in about seven months.

I find myself more interested in chat rooms and casual gaming now.

Oh god I'm turning into a bored housewife.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-23-2013 06:28:44 AM
Yeah, I guess it's normal. I'm not able to play most games for more than an hour in a row.

There are exceptions (Civ for example), but overall I spend far less time playing games.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 01-23-2013 08:13:23 AM
I've certainly changed my gaming habits over the years. I used to spent a lot of time doing dailies, heroics, raids, etc. Now I don't grind at all, too much time for too little fun. I still will play an MMO like GW2 now and then though. I mainly play single or multiplayer games, and typically only for a short duration (except for Skyrim).

Vin~ fucked around with this message on 01-23-2013 at 08:19 AM.

Maradon!
posted 01-23-2013 09:35:12 AM
I still play video games as my primary form of entertainment. I do have much, much less patience for tedious or poorly written games, though (so basically every game from Japan.)
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-23-2013 01:47:10 PM
Yeah, I play in fits and starts, at best. Right now I play Chivalry a lot (for me) which is like for a few hours on the weekends, and maybe a little while during the week. I still play STO on the weekends, too, but that's it. I just can't muster up enough fucks anymore for video games. I'd rather read a book.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Khy
Pancake
posted 01-23-2013 05:28:43 PM
quote:
Maradon!'s fortune cookie read:
I still play video games as my primary form of entertainment. I do have much, much less patience for tedious or poorly written games, though (so basically every game from Japan.)
Peter
Pancake
posted 01-23-2013 05:47:08 PM
Dunno, Or could it be haveing more of a life now? When I have an option of sleep or a game, I take sleep, or work, or spending an afternoon/night with a cute girl, or playing a pub triva with buds and budettes...and I think alot of it, is the game can always wait for ya mixed with how many variations of the same shit will keep you glued to a chair for a long time anymore.
Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 01-23-2013 08:25:18 PM
It's strange because I actually play more video games now than when I was in college over 10 years ago. Partly because I love them as an escape that doesn't cost me insane money like drugs or excessive binge drinking does. My fiance understands it too and actually encourages it and even loves games we can play together.

Also, partly because I became a contributor for a gaming site, so I actually get to play a lot of review copies of games and explore and test out new worlds. Some people prefer books, I prefer the interaction of games. Visual and mental stimulation.

I still work 45 hours a week, go to the gym for an hour a day and get my 6 - 7 hours of sleep a night. Generally I game from 9pm - 12pm every week night and more so on the weekend. And I'm way happier in life now. Not going to lie, some stressful days at work, I'll put the controller down at 10 and call it a night. Overall, all is right in the world for me and Video Games are a major part of it.

nem-x
posted 01-23-2013 08:28:35 PM
I just spent $750 to play flight sims better.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 01-24-2013 01:19:52 AM
I can't play games for more than an hour or so at a time before I just can't stand it anymore and need to go do something else. Being old sucks ass.
nem-x
posted 01-28-2013 08:32:56 PM
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-28-2013 10:01:47 PM
Asians are immune to this effect <- well documented fact
Drysart
Pancake
posted 01-28-2013 11:46:13 PM
I think a rainbow crapped on your keyboard.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-29-2013 08:35:42 AM
It would make sense that rainbows crap muted colors.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-30-2013 12:31:29 AM
quote:
nem-x had this to say about Robocop:

Is that a keyboard from WASDKeyboards? If so, awesome. I got one from there myself:

nem-x
posted 01-30-2013 01:08:46 AM
LordLunchington
Pancake
posted 01-30-2013 09:51:55 AM
I never thought that I would lose interest in games but since i broke level 30 and now have 4 kids, gaming is really low on my interests now. Maybe an odd game of D3 (which has moved to PoE) or a few missions in Saints Row. I send a lot of my "free" time programming now.
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 02-06-2013 02:03:19 AM
After my last reformat... my pretty alienware netbook has... no games installed.

I was playing some different stuff, but the last reformat, something changed.. I went to install SWTOR, and decided that playing a game for 5-6 hours a night wasn't worth the bother of port forwarding. If I didn't bother installing, I wouldn't bother playing. This was 6 months ago.

Holy SHIT at all the free time I have now. Two kids, wife, work... hobbies that actually pay me money to do them. My lawn looks AWESOME.

Now.. I glare at my gamer friends.. I mention that they could log the fuck off and maybe vacuum the house before they have guests over. I point out that they could drop 8 hours a day of of their busy gaming schedule and get a job.. I invite them out to the park, you know, picnic style so they get some fresh air and sunlight.

But they decline. One dude even has a full spectrum bulb in his desk lamp, because he goes outside so little. These people are blemishes on the ass of society. They do nothing, they earn nothing, they make nothing...

Remember laughing at 80's movie images of the Japanese Businessman? The idea of shame for being unproductive? Like that scene in Gung Ho, where Gedde Watanabe is drooling and spitting while yelling shit out in some crazy jap business penance?

I want to put ribbons of shame on all my pale skinned neckbeard friends and make them cry and do situps.

And I used to be one of them.
They have kids... kids who are addicted at age 6, to Call o Duty, WoW, and whatever else the kids are playing these days... And they are fine with it, because if the kid is playing too, they can sit and play all day and night.. Dinnertime? Hotpockets or Pizza for everybody.

I get invited for dinner.. me and my kids show up.. for dinner.. I brought wine. I was told the wifi password, and asked when I was getting the machine from the car.

Fucking generation of children.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 02-06-2013 05:47:15 AM
I think SWTOR is the only game I still play with any regularity, maybe 1 or 2 hours a day or every other day. Usually after dinner while winding down for the night in my relaxation time.

I much prefer going outside to work on my cars these days. Ah the joys of vintage cars. Freezing my ass off and swearing a lot, but more fun than clickity clicky click.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 02-06-2013 03:14:02 PM
I sit in an office bored most of the night.

The Chief Security Officer would prefer me to not be bored, but also doesn't want me performing SCIENCE! upon shit.

The head of IT would also prefer that I not do that. Mostly because he knows that things would start falling apart that he can't get the budget to fix which is why some things are held in place with duct tape.

They give me a near 100mbit link to the internets... I amuse myself with games so I don't get bored and mass leach pr0n all night.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 02-06-2013 08:12:43 PM
quote:
nem-x had this to say about (_|_):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasdkeyboards/6982907603/in/photostream

Nice keyboard choice

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: