EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Anyone try Binaural beats?
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 12-11-2012 03:55:13 PM
There's a program called I-doser that claims to use stereo headphones to affect brainwaves and make people feel different things. The tracks they offer include drugs like Cocaine, crystal meth and alcohol to vague feelings like Calm or Confident.

I was really skeptical while trying it, and after listening to a variety of tracks they don't seem to be effective in what they advertise.

The track 'Lucid Dream' was not effective in creating the experience, while other tracks seemed to have little to no effect on me. Has anyone else given this stuff a try?

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Vin~
Crack Dealer
First One's Free!
posted 12-11-2012 06:55:21 PM
I'd be too cautious to listen to something that would claim to purposefully do such things.
Maradon!
posted 12-11-2012 07:15:18 PM
iDoser operates on the theory that sound waves can stimulate sympathetic brainwaves in the noggin of a listener. There is actually some scientific evidence of this, but they encounter a problem in that to stimulate any useful brain wave you would need a sound wave well beyond the normal human hearing range.

To work around this obstacle, iDoser plays a different sound wave into each ear. The two waves are modulated so that, when they meet, the crests and troughs of each wave amplify or cancel in such a way that a wave normally beyond human hearing is produced. The theory is that the two sound waves interfering with each other will overcome human hearing limitations and create a useful brain wave inside the listener.

Trouble is, once the ear processes a sound, the nerve impulse that travels to the brain is electro-chemical, not an energy pattern like a sound wave, and so it's not subject to wave interference, cancelling or amplification the way sound is.

In short, it's a load of bullshit. The solemn proclamations of people who claim to have experienced euphoria from it is testament to the vast human capacity for self deception.

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 12-11-2012 07:46:42 PM
Sounds like the theta wave nonsense.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: