EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: FTL
nem-x
posted 09-26-2012 11:31:42 PM
Fun game even though I have not beat the boss.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 09-27-2012 02:04:13 AM
It's awesome. Spent almost 50 hours with it without even noticing.

Once you get some experience, you'll be able to beat the boss most of the time.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
nem-x
posted 09-27-2012 07:00:00 PM
Beat it but had to use a cloaking device and left behind two mantises on a boarding mission for the greater good.
nem-x
posted 09-27-2012 07:14:09 PM
Biggest thing was zig zagging across the galaxy to stay in a sector as long as I could, staying at least one section ahead of the rebel zone. My final ship had pretty much everything maxed, but even with maxed power I couldn't field my Shield 4 and a pip or two of Engines. Used the kestrel since I haven't unlocked any of the cool ships yet.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 09-27-2012 09:17:37 PM
The other ships are hit or miss in terms of unlocking them. I actually unlocked the torus on my first playthrough (!!) and went on to beat the second stage of the boss just using it. A few modifications and a few more playthroughs net me my first win which was severely satisfying.

More than once, especially in the first two sectors as the torus, you can just use the ion cannon standard with the ship to completely disable their o2 generators and suffocate everyone. Way more scrap early on that way.

And Rocks are awesome for boarding crews. :3

Maradon!
posted 09-30-2012 07:19:30 PM
What sorta game is this?
nem-x
posted 09-30-2012 08:08:11 PM
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 10-02-2012 06:54:00 AM
OK, I got it, and all I do is get my ass kicked about half way though on easy.

Anyone care to post their successful strategies?

Tarquinn
posted 10-02-2012 07:43:19 AM
-pause every time something happens and assess the situation
-really, use that pause function
-make weapons fire together at the same time to make them count
-target the enemy weapon systems first
-get a shield upgrade ASAP
-man systems in this order: helm, engines, weapons, shields
-ride the rebel wave: you want to visit as many systems in each sector as possible
-going through nebulas in non nebula sectors makes the rebel progress slower
-upgraded doors really help against boarders and fire
-enhancements stack
-killing the crew, instead of the ship nets more loot
-if you board an enemy ship try to use rockmen or mantis
-turn off autofire when you are boarding a ship
-try to have always around 100 scrap for stores
Blindy.
posted 10-02-2012 08:11:31 AM
To that end, do you upgrade your scanners right after your shields to see the enemy ship interior?
Tarquinn
posted 10-02-2012 09:12:22 AM
If you go the boarding route, yes. Teleporter first, though.

Upgrading your systems will also help with certain events: Medbay, helm, sensors.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 10-02-2012 01:50:15 PM
Also, try to plan ahead. Most of the time on easy you can max your power bars out, but that power goes fast. You can't shoot super deathpewpew lazers and teleport and have amazing shields and have a fully upgraded engine. Specialization is key. Usually the engine route with 2 shield bars works pretty well, but it depends on your ship.
Even if you upgrade your O2 or medbay, you dont have to power it to get the extra conversation benefits. You can also power down your medbay entirely with no repercussions, and as long as you turn back on within 60 seconds, you can do the same for O2.

If an enemy boards near an airlock, open it! Once they start suffocating, they will abandon any attacking they are doing to a system in a room and try to force their way out. Level 2 doors can almost hold against one (non mantis) attacker for about as long as it takes to suffocate them, or at least make them less of a threat. Make sure to close your doors again though! Also: Opening doors doesn't instantly vent if the game is paused, and a doubleclick on the open doors button opens all the doors, including airlocks.

If you do have a teleporter for the final boss, the fight is made a LOT easier if you teleport to the missile weapon system, second from the right. There is only one defender and it can't be repaired after you teleport away. You can do this with the other weapons too, but the missile one is the heavy hitter, since it fires 3 and bypasses shields. D=

nem-x
posted 10-03-2012 01:04:17 AM
I think the biggest thing that improved my gameplay was to stay in each zone for as long as possible before hopping to the next one. Rushing Shield 2 helps a lot also. I keep autofire on and just press the weapon number and then right click to deselect when I want to sync shots if necessary. I like shoving surplus scrap into helm/o2 and the other subsystems so that they don't go red if they happen take one point of damage. Scanners aren't really necessary unless you plan on killing crew.

The final boss is terrible and I have only beaten it if I get cloak. I've gotten close with a boarding party ship, but an AI takes over if you kill all the crewmembers and it autorepairs everrrrythiiing; even in subsequent fights. I wonder if leaving one guy alive will mean the other phases will only have one guy also.

Tarquinn
posted 10-03-2012 04:44:39 AM
quote:
nem-x attempted to be funny by writing:
I wonder if leaving one guy alive will mean the other phases will only have one guy also.

Yes.

Blindy.
posted 10-03-2012 09:47:31 AM
I had a good run last night but I feel like success or failure hinges too much on if you get lucky in finding a better weapon somewhere along the way. Maybe the other ships don't suffer as much, i'm still using the n00b ship.
Delphi Aegis
posted 10-03-2012 10:30:48 PM
quote:
nem-x had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
I think the biggest thing that improved my gameplay was to stay in each zone for as long as possible before hopping to the next one. Rushing Shield 2 helps a lot also. I keep autofire on and just press the weapon number and then right click to deselect when I want to sync shots if necessary. I like shoving surplus scrap into helm/o2 and the other subsystems so that they don't go red if they happen take one point of damage. Scanners aren't really necessary unless you plan on killing crew.

The final boss is terrible and I have only beaten it if I get cloak. I've gotten close with a boarding party ship, but an AI takes over if you kill all the crewmembers and it autorepairs everrrrythiiing; even in subsequent fights. I wonder if leaving one guy alive will mean the other phases will only have one guy also.

Yeah, if you manage to kill the crew in the weapon compartments (The center two, at least) they don't come back. The ship has a lot of crew, though. And I will second staying in the zones as long as possible. Try to plan out your routes. You get a feel for when the dots will "connect". A few times I thought a path would connect to the exit, only to not do so on the final jump, causing me to backtrack through about six sectors of rebel fleet.. yeah, I didn't survive that run.

Tarquinn
posted 10-04-2012 02:11:25 AM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Yeah, if you manage to kill the crew in the weapon compartments (The center two, at least) they don't come back. The ship has a lot of crew, though. And I will second staying in the zones as long as possible. Try to plan out your routes. You get a feel for when the dots will "connect". A few times I thought a path would connect to the exit, only to not do so on the final jump, causing me to backtrack through about six sectors of rebel fleet.. yeah, I didn't survive that run.

Go to the options menu. There you can activate a preview of all routes on mouseover.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: